Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 07-24-17, 07:41 PM
  #5426  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,441
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

The New York Daily News said that were supposedly video evidence from a person riding his bicycle near the scene. Also, the police chief has resigned.

Did the police chief overseeing the officer who killed Castillo resign, too?
EinCB is offline  
Old 07-24-17, 08:18 PM
  #5427  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,271
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
The New York Daily News said that were supposedly video evidence from a person riding his bicycle near the scene. Also, the police chief has resigned.

Did the police chief overseeing the officer who killed Castillo resign, too?
And that officer got a payout too.
Draven is online now  
Old 07-24-17, 08:21 PM
  #5428  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 46,727
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Philandro Castile informed the cop he had a gun and was shot within seconds. He was also engaged to be married and worked at an elementary school. I never once heard anyone say "the cop should have better training" or "accidental discharge". It was his fault from Day 1.
inri222 is offline  
Old 07-24-17, 08:30 PM
  #5429  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,834
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

A little old lady parked next to me today was given a ticket for parking in the handicapped slot without authorization. The cop didn't even shoot her so not all cops are bad.
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 07-24-17, 09:03 PM
  #5430  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,535
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
And that officer got a payout too.

I don't believe he got a "payout". He got paid out (difference) for his unused sick and vacation time along with some backpay. The news here in the Twin Cities was calling it a "payout" but it wasn't. The city was supposed to assist him in training for some type of new job.

I could be wrong...don't have time to look it up at the moment, just my recollections from the news articles a few weeks ago.
FiveO is offline  
Old 07-24-17, 09:31 PM
  #5431  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,271
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

More info here. He got paid to not sue the city (that was the payout). He was ALSO paid for up to 600 hours of personal leave.

Jeronimo Yanez signed a separation agreement with the city of St. Anthony on Monday, agreeing to leave the Police Department in exchange for $48,500 after being acquitted three weeks ago in the fatal shooting of Philando Castile.

"In order to serve the public interest and quickly assure the public that Officer Yanez will not continue as a St. Anthony police officer, the City has entered into a separation agreement that ends all employment rights of Officer Yanez at the City," said a statement posted on the city's website at the close of Monday's business day. "Since Officer Yanez was not convicted of a crime, as a public employee, he would have appeal and grievance rights if terminated.

"A reasonable voluntary separation agreement brings to a close one part of this horrible tragedy. The City concluded this was the most thoughtful way to move forward and help the community-wide healing process proceed."

According to a copy of the agreement supplied by the city's attorney in the matter, Yanez will receive a lump sum of $48,500 minus applicable deductions and tax withholdings.

He also will receive payment for up to 600 hours of accrued personal leave. The agreement did not note how much time he has accrued.
Draven is online now  
Old 07-25-17, 01:00 AM
  #5432  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,535
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Gotcha. There was a bit of a "payout" then but it wasn't much of a payday so to speak. I just don't want people thinking he walked away with millions after getting acquitted. Thanks for the info/link. I believe thats the link I read a few weeks ago...but didn't remember the specifics.
FiveO is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:12 AM
  #5433  
Political Exile
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,217
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
If it wasn't for the camera

Murder warrant issued for fired Texas cop who killed 15-year-old Jordan Edwards

http://abcnews.go.com/US/murder-warr...ry?id=47238702

The white police officer in Texas fatally shot an innocent, law abiding, unarmed black, male, 15-year-old in the back of the head. The teen was a passenger in a car at the time.

The police said that the car was moving toward them at the time of the shooting. However, video footage showed that the car was actually moving away from them. So video footage showed that the police lied.

The police officer has been charged with murder. If he is convicted, I hope that he gets the maximum sentence that the law calls for.

Lots more info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...Jordan_Edwards
grundle is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:22 AM
  #5434  
Political Exile
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,217
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Yeah, to call 911 and get shot as you approach the police car to talk to them, I don't think you can compare this to punching a cop through a window and grabbing for their gun. .

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
How do you know she didn't punch the cop? Have ALL THE FACTS come out? What evidence do you have that she was NOT the aggressor?
Officer's Noor's silence is what's preventing the facts from coming out.
grundle is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:24 AM
  #5435  
Political Exile
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,217
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yes because like you said, the media and Americans love Pretty Blondes. They can do no wrong. So there is no digging in her past, no FB pics of her doing anything bad. Apparently she was a perfect Blonde White Angel. Even grundle posted a puff piece/video of her saving wildlife.

I posted the video because of what she did, not because of her race or hair color.
grundle is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 07:16 AM
  #5436  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,262
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I've been hating cops since Trevon Martin was inside his dad's balls. I don't think anyone here really likes cops. Even the cops who are members admit it's a profession they wouldn't steer anyone toward. Who here defends the police?
You hate cops? I don't. I plan to call them the next time I see the next time I see the junkie-burglar buddies of my next-door neighbor's son.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 08:13 AM
  #5437  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,316
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Good luck. You can do a search. I've told this story before. I once had a woman plow into a telephone pole in front of my apartment. I called the cops because when I went downstairs to investigate she punched me. When the cops showed up they didn't give two shits. I told them , "she's parked over there." They didn't investigate. They actually questioned me. "Do we know you? Have we seen you before?" Ridiculous leading bullshit questioning. I've never been arrested. "I called you assholes, and I get questioned?" Guess I'm lucky to be alive.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 10:50 AM
  #5438  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,535
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Good luck. You can do a search. I've told this story before. I once had a woman plow into a telephone pole in front of my apartment. I called the cops because when I went downstairs to investigate she punched me. When the cops showed up they didn't give two shits. I told them , "she's parked over there." They didn't investigate. They actually questioned me. "Do we know you? Have we seen you before?" Ridiculous leading bullshit questioning. I've never been arrested. "I called you assholes, and I get questioned?" Guess I'm lucky to be alive.

Just curious Mabuse...what do you do for a living?
FiveO is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 10:53 AM
  #5439  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,535
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Officer's Noor's silence is what's preventing the facts from coming out.

I'm not condoning his silence...or commenting on the case. I would like to add one thing:

If you were possibly going to be charged with Murder...would you talk to the police? Thats the position he is in. Everyone has the right to remain silent. Its line 1 of the Miranda Rights.

Don't take his silence as anything other than exercising his rights. Its come to that....police used to give statements all the time. Now that many officers are being charged with Murder they're not talking after the incident.

Again...not commenting on this specific case...just my general observation.
FiveO is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 10:56 AM
  #5440  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,834
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
The white police officer in Texas fatally shot an innocent, law abiding, unarmed black, male, 15-year-old in the back of the head. The teen was a passenger in a car at the time.

The police said that the car was moving toward them at the time of the shooting. However, video footage showed that the car was actually moving away from them. So video footage showed that the police lied.

The police officer has been charged with murder. If he is convicted, I hope that he gets the maximum sentence that the law calls for.

Lots more info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...Jordan_Edwards
But he won't get convicted is the thing.
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 11:07 AM
  #5441  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,271
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Gotcha. There was a bit of a "payout" then but it wasn't much of a payday so to speak. I just don't want people thinking he walked away with millions after getting acquitted. Thanks for the info/link. I believe thats the link I read a few weeks ago...but didn't remember the specifics.
Fair enough - and I actually understand why it happened. The optics just look terrible.
Draven is online now  
Old 07-25-17, 11:19 AM
  #5442  
Senior Member
 
smg669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 905
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Good luck. You can do a search. I've told this story before. I once had a woman plow into a telephone pole in front of my apartment. I called the cops because when I went downstairs to investigate she punched me. When the cops showed up they didn't give two shits. I told them , "she's parked over there." They didn't investigate. They actually questioned me. "Do we know you? Have we seen you before?" Ridiculous leading bullshit questioning. I've never been arrested. "I called you assholes, and I get questioned?" Guess I'm lucky to be alive.
Well, then, clearly all cops are bad.

And of course, having read what you've posted here, you clearly didn't provoke a negative reaction from these cops.
smg669 is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:16 PM
  #5443  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,185
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the Australian woman who was recently killed in MN did anything to provoke the authorities. Remember, she called them to report a crime, and was expecting them to help her (or at least listen to what she was reporting). Anyone who thinks she was in any way trying to attack or provoke the authorities either hasn't read up on the case, or is a complete fucking moron.

For the record, I do think this may have been an accidental shooting - but, it doesn't matter because the end result is the same.

Can you please post the FACTS that prove this? So far I've not seen or heard any FACTS either way...
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:27 PM
  #5444  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,185
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I'm not condoning his silence...or commenting on the case. I would like to add one thing:

If you were possibly going to be charged with Murder...would you talk to the police? Thats the position he is in. Everyone has the right to remain silent. Its line 1 of the Miranda Rights.

Don't take his silence as anything other than exercising his rights. Its come to that....police used to give statements all the time. Now that many officers are being charged with Murder they're not talking after the incident.

Again...not commenting on this specific case...just my general observation.

I agree 100%. Show's like Law and Order and frankly...real life Cops... try to make people feel like keeping silent means guilt. It does NOT necessarily mean that. It's the best thing to do . Let your Lawyer talk.

How does it go?

"Anything you say CAN and WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU in court of Law".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-25-17 at 01:33 PM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:29 PM
  #5445  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 46,727
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Warrant: Woman slapped squad car before cop fatally shot Ruszczyk

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/0...-shot-ruszczyk
inri222 is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:33 PM
  #5446  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,185
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Philandro Castile informed the cop he had a gun and was shot within seconds. He was also engaged to be married and worked at an elementary school. I never once heard anyone say "the cop should have better training" or "accidental discharge". It was his fault from Day 1.
Thank you!


Originally Posted by inri222 View Post


EXACTLY
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:53 PM
  #5447  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,316
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Just curious Mabuse...what do you do for a living?
More leading questions from the police.

You guys all study the same pamphlet on how to be a cop I imagine.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 03:26 PM
  #5448  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,535
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
More leading questions from the police.

You guys all study the same pamphlet on how to be a cop I imagine.

Just curious as to why you're lumping all of us into one basket. Not all Doctors or Lawyers are the same. Heck...not even all politicians are the same.

You can not say what you do for a living...thats fine...but lay off the idiotic idea that everyone in the same profession all treat people the same. Its ignorant, childish and shows a complete lack of the understanding of being a human being.

Grow up.
FiveO is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 03:38 PM
  #5449  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 18,008
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Just curious as to why you're lumping all of us into one basket. Not all Doctors or Lawyers are the same. Heck...not even all politicians are the same.

You can not say what you do for a living...thats fine...but lay off the idiotic idea that everyone in the same profession all treat people the same. Its ignorant, childish and shows a complete lack of the understanding of being a human being.

Grow up.
Apparently it's all right to prejudge if the target of that judgement is the police while at the same time the new favorite past time is accusing the police of prejudging and the evils of prejudice.
JimRochester is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 06:24 PM
  #5450  
Political Exile
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,217
Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I agree 100%. Show's like Law and Order and frankly...real life Cops... try to make people feel like keeping silent means guilt. It does NOT necessarily mean that. It's the best thing to do . Let your Lawyer talk.

How does it go?

"Anything you say CAN and WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU in court of Law".
But even Noor's lawyer hasn't explained why Noor shot her.
grundle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.