Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 07-24-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
This one.

I see something happening on a grander scale. The bar has been lowered. We're herding people into college, giving them sub-par education, and ushering them out with a diploma or certification. The problem is that these are the people designing products, and becoming doctors, and doing things that real affect the consumer.

So going forward, it's going to be harder and harder to find a good doctor, or a good product, or a good plumber. That's the new normal. And it's because there's a movement to lower standards and make professions more accessible.

I think that, to an extent, we might be heading into "Idiocracy". But maybe it's not the trailer park yokels that are going to take us there, as depicted in the movie. But maybe it's in the educated-but-disinterested poseurs who we rely on to design products, run governments (looks who's POTUS!), and provide services.

Its going to (and already is) tougher to find qualified law enforcement candidates too. Herding people into college and having them come out with degrees (on paper) doesn't mean they are ready...although the law says they are.

15-20 years ago some colleges in Minnesota (which requires a degree to work in LE) stopped giving psych exams as part of the entrance qualifications. Why? Because they realized it wasn't their job to disqualify people. Their job was to educate them...people with felonies and other crimes on their records. People who were in no way qualified mentally to be in LE. Now...these people getting the education that colleges push on them are the ones out applying for jobs...and with a dwindling candidate list...what else are departments supposed to do?

I'm not commenting on the current specific Minneapolis case, just my observations on whats happening in the hiring world in LE currently. Its a catch 22 for departments. You want qualified good candidates? Sure...but there are not enough out there right now. You want diversity? Sure...but they have to (sometimes) fast track training to entice diverse candidates.

One great thing coming out of this...departments are raising pay for LE (huge raises in some areas) to entice qualified experienced candidates.

If departments don't do this...not only will they not have enough candidates applying...they won't have enough people to even cover shifts on patrol. Imagine a world without LE. If something doesn't change...that will be come a reality. Less people are applying for jobs and some of the ones that do shouldn't even be officers. Its a double edged sword right now.

You want good qualified candidates but due to the current view on LE as a whole I wouldn't recommend ANYONE getting into this field...and this is coming from someone who loves his job.
Old 07-24-17, 11:31 AM
Suspended

We need a Cops Behaving Stupidly thread to distinguish the behaviors. In addition, a Cops Behaving Appropriately would also be nice.

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Its going to (and already is) tougher to find qualified law enforcement candidates too. Herding people into college and having them come out with degrees (on paper) doesn't mean they are ready...although the law says they are.

15-20 years ago some colleges in Minnesota (which requires a degree to work in LE) stopped giving psych exams as part of the entrance qualifications. Why? Because they realized it wasn't their job to disqualify people. Their job was to educate them...people with felonies and other crimes on their records. People who were in no way qualified mentally to be in LE. Now...these people getting the education that colleges push on them are the ones out applying for jobs...and with a dwindling candidate list...what else are departments supposed to do?

I'm not commenting on the current specific Minneapolis case, just my observations on whats happening in the hiring world in LE currently. Its a catch 22 for departments. You want qualified good candidates? Sure...but there are not enough out there right now. You want diversity? Sure...but they have to (sometimes) fast track training to entice diverse candidates.

One great thing coming out of this...departments are raising pay for LE (huge raises in some areas) to entice qualified experienced candidates.

If departments don't do this...not only will they not have enough candidates applying...they won't have enough people to even cover shifts on patrol. Imagine a world without LE. If something doesn't change...that will be come a reality. Less people are applying for jobs and some of the ones that do shouldn't even be officers. Its a double edged sword right now.

You want good qualified candidates but due to the current view on LE as a whole I wouldn't recommend ANYONE getting into this field...and this is coming from someone who loves his job.
I would tend to agree with you in today's atmosphere. It's really unfortunate, as LE is basically the pinata for all politicians and the media to beat up on, blaming society's ills on them. What happens in return is the LE community in general just says, "Fine, whatever. We'll hire whoever you want, do whatever you want, blah blah blah..." The result is putting even worse employees on the streets, who are constantly wondering if their actions will be perceived as "community correct", and not relying on standard, solid facts to determine their actions. Instead...feelings.

I've seen this happen outside of LE. Any type of management structure that is attacked as a whole, condemning the whole, results in that management pandering to the attackers, and just giving up. Because at that level, it's just politics, and politics dictates the hiring if management/administration is attacked. Administrators don't want to lose their jobs and great salaries, so it is much easier to play along with whatever the current political demands are, regardless if they are insane and illogical, and handing over the keys to those politicians.

About the increase in pay, however. Portland, OR has some of the highest paid cops in the nation, but this has a lot of negative results. Cities who don't have the tax base will suffer, and that's most cities in the US. Portland is able to pay their cops high wages because of a system that is being set up to fail in the future. The pensions are cosmically high, and the only way to pay for this is increases in property taxes, fueling an artificial housing market...taking out the middle class. The cost of living in Portland is outrageously disproportional, and I find it ironic that Portland says it's diverse, when it's becoming just the opposite. The subsidized housing is created just to appear diverse. Those people living in those subsidized housing communities cannot find jobs, and will probably never have a home of their own based on reality--meaning they buy a home that is based on real market values, instead of being comped by the state.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-24-17 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Naperville has very little crime, but a very well compensated police force, when I last looked at their salaries online, it looked like the low end salaries were in the six figures. They have a state of the art building with a state of the art gym to workout. The guy that handled our hit and run had a black belt in Tae Kwan Do and made $106k. The lady working the front desk was making $110k.
Old 07-24-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Mohammed Cop is pretty fucked. They have video of her SAVING FUCKING DUCKLINGS!
Old 07-24-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Mohammed Cop is pretty fucked. They have video of her SAVING FUCKING DUCKLINGS!
He's fucked for blowing away the person who called in the report. The duckling video just makes it easier to not blame the victim. Now if she was smoking marijuana in a picture on Facebook 5 years ago, she would have deserved to die.
Old 07-24-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only is she not a marijuana smoker in the video, but she teaches meditation at the community center. She was what a host of middle-class women aspire to.
Old 07-24-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's funny how NOOOOOOWWWWW people are questioning the training many Cops(those people questioning really only mean the Colored ones) lack. Meanwhile, people being subjected to the lack of training for ALL COPS for LITERALLY GENERATIONS have said this and other issues like it should be looked at and were ignored. Keep on keepin' on America...

This White Woman getting killed is a TEST and a MIRROR America... and so far you are FAILING and your reflection is not looking good.
Old 07-24-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep - pretty telling that killing a white woman by mistake means "accidental discharge" or "the cops need better training" and the same thing happening to a black person is "well, they didn't follow directions" at best.
Old 07-24-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've even agreed that more whites are killed by cops and what have I said many times...YOU WHITE PEOPLE ARE NOT SPEAKING UP ABOUT THIS. Now we have a pretty White Woman killed who MAY have done nothing.
Old 07-24-17, 05:01 PM

Yeah, to call 911 and get shot as you approach the police car to talk to them, I don't think you can compare this to punching a cop through a window and grabbing for their gun. There is a wide area in between for these police shootings, and I would like to think that people aren't racist for looking at each case individually.

If this woman was black, it would still be a tragedy. If it was a male black, it would still be a tragedy. But, yes, the media is drawn towards pretty blondes. I was waiting to hear any facts from this case whether the woman acted erratically, but I'm just not hearing it.
Old 07-24-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Yeah, to call 911 and get shot as you approach the police car to talk to them, I don't think you can compare this to punching a cop through a window and grabbing for their gun. There is a wide area in between for these police shootings, and I would like to think that people aren't racist for looking at each case individually.
Philandro Castile informed the cop he had a gun and was shot within seconds. He was also engaged to be married and worked at an elementary school. I never once heard anyone say "the cop should have better training" or "accidental discharge". It was his fault from Day 1.
Old 07-24-17, 05:16 PM
Political Exile

If this woman was black, it would still be a tragedy. If it was a male black, it would still be a tragedy. But, yes, the media is drawn towards pretty blondes. I was waiting to hear any facts from this case whether the woman acted erratically, but I'm just not hearing it.
That's because officer Noor has chosen not to explain why he shot her.
Old 07-24-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
He's fucked for blowing away the person who called in the report. The duckling video just makes it easier to not blame the victim. Now if she was smoking marijuana in a picture on Facebook 5 years ago, she would have deserved to die.
Thank you for explaining my point. Mansplainer
Old 07-24-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I heard was that it was dark and they were in or near an alley when she approached. As she approached they heard a loud bang and were afraid it was an ambush.

One of the unforeseen side effects of the ambushes. Although rare, it has made the LE community more aware of the possibility. I hesitate to use the word jittery, but if your buddy gets hit by lightning and dies while on the golf course, I guarantee you will get far more concerned about hearing thunder in the distance.

Then to look at the dark side of things. Even if it wasn't the case here, it now gives scumbag lawyers an extra excuse to give to the jury. One that the juries will understand. It opens the possibility that a poor act either by accident or on purpose can be excused by the fear of ambush. Remember all they have to do is show they had a legitimate fear of their life in that moment.
Old 07-24-17, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
It's funny how NOOOOOOWWWWW people are questioning the training many Cops(those people questioning really only mean the Colored ones) lack. Meanwhile, people being subjected to the lack of training for ALL COPS for LITERALLY GENERATIONS have said this and other issues like it should be looked at and were ignored. Keep on keepin' on America...

This White Woman getting killed is a TEST and a MIRROR America... and so far you are FAILING and your reflection is not looking good.
I've been hating cops since Trevon Martin was inside his dad's balls. I don't think anyone here really likes cops. Even the cops who are members admit it's a profession they wouldn't steer anyone toward. Who here defends the police?
Old 07-24-17, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've even agreed that more whites are killed by cops and what have I said many times...YOU WHITE PEOPLE ARE NOT SPEAKING UP ABOUT THIS. Now we have a pretty White Woman killed who MAY have done nothing.
And I've said many times that white people do speak out when it happens to their own. This Aussie is not the first time. Citizens of Fullerton dismantled their police department and city council after one homeless young man was killed.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-24-17 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you for explaining my point. Mansplainer
Happy to help!
Old 07-24-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who here defends the police?
I do if I think they're being wrongly blamed. I also point out when I believe they were in the wrong. I don't think they are automatically right or wrong just because of their profession. I try to actually look at the facts before I make a judgement. To not do that makes one no better than the cop they are accusing of racism.
Old 07-24-17, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Philandro Castile informed the cop he had a gun and was shot within seconds. He was also engaged to be married and worked at an elementary school. I never once heard anyone say "the cop should have better training" or "accidental discharge". It was his fault from Day 1.
I think the vast majority of people realize that this was a tragedy too. Of course the cop should have had better training in the Castile case.
Old 07-24-17, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, to call 911 and get shot as you approach the police car to talk to them, I don't think you can compare this to punching a cop through a window and grabbing for their gun.
How do you know she didn't punch the cop? Have ALL THE FACTS come out? What evidence do you have that she was NOT the aggressor?

There is a wide area in between for these police shootings...
Again, how do you know? Have all the facts come out?

and I would like to think that people aren't racist for looking at each case individually.
I would like too also. But time and time again I am presented with evidence that show otherwise...

Yes because like you said, the media and Americans love Pretty Blondes. They can do no wrong. So there is no digging in her past, no FB pics of her doing anything bad. Apparently she was a perfect Blonde White Angel. Even grundle posted a puff piece/video of her saving wildlife.

I find it interesting that now people are digging into the Somalian/Muslim Cop's past. Questioning his training and any past transgressions. Did you guys do that for the cop that killed Mike Brown? What about the one that killed Philandro Castile? Did you even fuckin' do it for George Zimmerman? Will, some did but it was half-assed and ignored by Zimmerman supporters. Typical bullshit...
Old 07-24-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been hating cops since Trevon Martin was inside his dad's balls. I don't think anyone here really likes cops. Even the cops who are members admit it's a profession they wouldn't steer anyone toward. Who here defends the police?
That's funny. Just so you know, contrary to belief in these parts I DON'T hate cops. Never did. I have had family in LE. I just don't think Cops should get away with everything they do and be defended blindly by cop supporters.
Old 07-24-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

George Zimmerman? They dug the fuck into that guy. Just delete that last part of your post.
Old 07-24-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's funny. Just so you know, contrary to belief in these parts I DON'T hate cops. Never did. I have had family in LE. I just don't think Cops should get away with everything they do and be defended blindly by cop supporters.
I totally agree.
Old 07-24-17, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

George Zimmerman? They dug the fuck into that guy. Just delete that last part of your post.
Howza 'bout your READ the the last part of my post.

Did you even fuckin' do it for George Zimmerman? Will, some did but it was half-assed and ignored by Zimmerman supporters.
Old 07-24-17, 07:30 PM

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the Australian woman who was recently killed in MN did anything to provoke the authorities. Remember, she called them to report a crime, and was expecting them to help her (or at least listen to what she was reporting). Anyone who thinks she was in any way trying to attack or provoke the authorities either hasn't read up on the case, or is a complete fucking moron.

For the record, I do think this may have been an accidental shooting - but, it doesn't matter because the end result is the same.

And, yes, there have been many cases where non-whites have been killed by the authorities under similar circumstances. Unfortunately, a lot of those cases didn't always make national news (though that seems to be changing in the past several years). It's sad that because this woman was an attractive blonde, people are all up in arms about this. Everyone should be equally upset no matter who this happens to.

This is what happens when you try to report something to the authorities - you may very well get killed (accidentally or on purpose), and/or get in trouble yourself. Fuck that.

Last edited by TheDude; 07-24-17 at 07:39 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.