Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 03-06-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...m_hp_ref=crime

Cop punches women in face.
Old 03-06-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty sure she was talking, so that is acceptable...
Old 03-06-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Because the cop failed to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of him and caused an accident and then threatened to write fabricated tickets to deflect the true cause of the accident and intimidate the cyclist from filing any claims.

As a cop, don't they teach officers nowadays that you should always keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you? That would seem to traffic laws 101.
Traffic Law 101 probably also mentions not being on the White Line as well--or weaving in traffic as I noticed in the beginning of the video. As a motorcycle, you need to be more conspicuous than a typical car--which is larger.

Motorcycle Advice 99 probably says to always be conspicuous. And you don't do this by riding the White Line. And this is also at night? Not too bright.

What's the fabricated ticket argument? I'd be interested. The motorist apologized and offered a viable compromise.

But I'm sure some of you on this forum don't understand what this entails...and would rather be uncooperative, refusing to show ID, etc., kicking the officer, screaming he's a NAZI, then scream I'M A VICTIM! a few minutes later when you get your ass whopped.

Surprisingly, if you act nice, you get cops off your back.

I know it's a rather shocking thing, but try it sometime.

There is no video of the patrol car following the motorcycle, so we don't know for sure if the officer was in fact following too closely.
Old 03-06-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe the cop was coming after him for acting like an ass?
Old 03-06-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have to admit, polizei is a very effective troll, he almost makes me want to respond to his points. almost.
Old 03-06-13, 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=DVD Polizei;11604784]Traffic Law 101 probably also mentions not being on the White Line as well--or weaving in traffic as I noticed in the beginning of the video. As a motorcycle, you need to be more conspicuous than a typical car--which is larger.

Motorcycle Advice 99 probably says to always be conspicuous. And you don't do this by riding the White Line. And this is also at night? Not too bright.

What's the fabricated ticket argument? I'd be interested. The motorist apologized and offered a viable compromise.

But I'm sure some of you on this forum don't understand what this entails...and would rather be uncooperative, refusing to show ID, etc., kicking the officer, screaming he's a NAZI, then scream I'M A VICTIM! a few minutes later when you get your ass whopped.

Surprisingly, if you act nice, you get cops off your back.

I know it's a rather shocking thing, but try it sometime.

There is no video of the patrol car following the motorcycle, so we don't know for sure if the officer was in fact following too closely.[/QUOTE]

Except for the part where the office admits he couldn't stop that fast to avoid the collision that just happened.
Old 03-06-13, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

"I can write you a shitload of tickets"
Old 03-07-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Police respond to a suicide call at an apartment compex, a 49 year old man fires at them from the 2nd floor. An 89 year old woman on the first floor opens her door hearing the commotion, and gets killed by police when they think it is him. Local DA says it's the gunmans fault, police officers are cleared.

I guess they subscribe to the dorner theory now, no need to identify your targets or have a visible threat, just shoot anything you think might be a danger. It's all good though, all the police officers went home safely that night. And besides, the woman was 89, she should have died years ago.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/crim...c66713ba5.html
Old 03-07-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Except for the part where the office admits he couldn't stop that fast to avoid the collision that just happened.
That does not mean he was following to close. Besides, it appears there was no damage done, or an accident report should've been filed by the motorcyclist, right? Instead, the motorcyclist wanted a way to get out of the situation. I find this odd.
Old 03-07-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
That does not mean he was following to close.
What was he trying to close?

Besides, it appears there was no damage done, or an accident report should've been filed by the motorcyclist, right? Instead, the motorcyclist wanted a way to get out of the situation. I find this odd.
Yes, once the cop started threatening him, he decides to cut his losses.
Old 03-07-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That does not mean he was following to close. Besides, it appears there was no damage done, or an accident report should've been filed by the motorcyclist, right? Instead, the motorcyclist wanted a way to get out of the situation. I find this odd.
Ahh, so you are saying the cop just wasn't paying attention, rather than being too close. Got it.

And I don't find it odd, get stuck paying a bunch of tickets and post the video and hope for an investigation, or just get out of the situation quietly, and post the video and hope for an investigation.
Old 03-08-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Ahh, so you are saying the cop just wasn't paying attention, rather than being too close. Got it.

And I don't find it odd, get stuck paying a bunch of tickets and post the video and hope for an investigation, or just get out of the situation quietly, and post the video and hope for an investigation.
I think he definitely picked the right strategy. That situation escalates and all of a sudden he finds himself without a camera since obviously the officer was aware he was being filmed.
Old 03-08-13, 03:06 PM

If it were anyone else that had rear-ended that motorcyclist, that person would have been held responsible.

The cop wasn't paying attention/was following too closely and he knew it, that's why he was very defensive.

I can't watch the video right now but I'm still confused about how the cop could write him a shitload of tickets. I don't necessarily think he could and that's why he let everything go. Since when does a cop get that mad at you and then back down and take no action?
Old 03-08-13, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I think he definitely picked the right strategy. That situation escalates and all of a sudden he finds himself without a camera since obviously the officer was aware he was being filmed.
I agree. He did the right thing by being calm and then posting the video later.
Old 03-08-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
I can't watch the video right now but I'm still confused about how the cop could write him a shitload of tickets. I don't necessarily think he could and that's why he let everything go. Since when does a cop get that mad at you and then back down and take no action?
when he is trying to intimidate you into going on your way with no report or anything else being made. He probably hoped the video would just sit quietly on youtube without ever being noticed.
Old 03-08-13, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
when he is trying to intimidate you into going on your way with no report or anything else being made. He probably hoped the video would just sit quietly on youtube without ever being noticed.
Exactly.
Old 03-08-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
What was he trying to close?
His Facebook account.
Old 03-08-13, 10:25 PM

If you rear end a car because you don't have enough space between your vehicle and the car in front of you, and the car in front of you stops, than it does mean you were following too close.

If the situation were switched and it was a motorcyle cop that was rear ended, don't you think the car would have gotten a "shit load" of tickets?
Old 03-14-13, 11:18 PM
Suspended

The NYPD Declares Martial Law in Brooklyn

On the heels of three nights of protests over the police slaying of 16 year old Kimani Gray, the NYPD has turned the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn into a State of Exception, claiming emergency powers to suspend the constitutional guarantees of the citizenry.

The people regularly targeted by police harassment and violence, overwhelmingly the city’s poor and minority populations, have taken to the streets to speak out against the NYPD’s draconian tactics. The police have in turn responded with even further harsh measures by suppressing the right of the people to voice dissatisfaction with that very same police force.

Cops kettled protesters at Wednesday night’s candlelight vigil, resulting in 46 arrests. Police even arrested Kimani Gray’s distraught sister, Mahnefeh.

The NYPD euphemistically calls the public spaces in which the Constitutional rights of the people are suspended “frozen zones.”

Allison Kilkenny wrote about the NYPD’s so-called “frozen zones” in December 2011:

“The ‘frozen zone’ is an arbitrary, official police business-sounding title that has absolutely zero legal merit. It’s something the NYPD made up, just as the ‘First Amendment zone’ is something [Los Angeles Mayor Antonio] Villaraigosa made up to suppress media coverage of the Occupy raids.”

According to FIERCE, the “frozen zone” in East Flatbush is being used to prevent media from covering the protests and arrests. Meanwhile, people inside the “frozen zone” can be subjected to arrest merely by exercising their constitutional rights.

“It basically means the area is under temporary martial law,” writes FIERCE. “The last times the NYPD declared a Frozen Zone was on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and during the beginning of OWS.”

An arbitrary dictate that arrests protest and free speech, set forth by the institution that is itself the target of the protests, creates a potentially dangerous precedent of placing the NYPD beyond reproach.

Occupy Austin reposted this poignant summary of events by Jen Roesch as they were unfolding in Brooklyn last night:

“East Flatbush, Brooklyn is under martial law as the NYPD declares it a ‘frozen zone’. Media are being monitored and kept from moving and reporting freely. Dozens of arrests and much brutality. Kimani was shot in the back seven times; a witness is sure he was unarmed; multiple reports are coming out that the police had been waging a campaign of harassment against the young man (including taunting him about a friend who had died in a car accident and threatening to shoot him when he tried to leave). This is just blocks from where Shantel Davis was shot, dragged from her car and left to bleed to death in the street last summer. After that shooting, police went to all the surrounding delis and confiscated their surveillance videos. Residents in the neighborhood live in a state of terror. Heartbreaking, enraging, the stuff that riots are made of. This city is at a breaking point.”

Kimani Gray’s parents are scheduled to hold a press conference this evening to address the March 9 police slaying of their young son.
http://uscop.org/the-nypd-declares-m...w-in-brooklyn/
Old 03-14-13, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Constitutional guarantees of the citizenry...aren't guaranteed. They are privileged. At best. When are people going to realize this. Your votes don't count anymore. Haven't for quite some time, actually. So, why the fuck would you think you have Constitutional "rights" guaranteed 24/7. This is complete fantasy and Theatrical JuJuBes Nonsense.

----

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/11/ny...lice.html?_r=0

Two plainclothes police officers shot and killed a teenage boy late Saturday night on a Brooklyn street, after he pointed a handgun at the officers, the police said.

Kimani Gray

(Avid Civil Rights Leader, helped grandmas across the street, local "Hero", etc.)

Photo of non-existent weapon from innocent victim of Police Tyranny:

Photo distributed by the NYC Police Department shows the gun recovered from the scene of a shooting. The police said the officers, patrolling in an unmarked car in East Flatbush, came upon the teenager, identified as Kimani Gray, 16, in a group of men just before 11:30 p.m. The teenager separated himself from the group and adjusted his waistband in what the police described as a suspicious manner.

As officers got out of the car to question him, Mr. Gray turned and pointed a .38-caliber Rohm revolver at them, the police said; two officers fired, hitting the teenager. He was pronounced dead a short time later at Kings County Hospital Center.

Mr. Gray did not fire the handgun, which was recovered at the scene. Paul J. Browne, the chief spokesman for the Police Department, said the six-shot revolver was loaded with four live rounds.

---

Of course, I'm sure it was planted by cops, etc. Etc. Etc.
Old 03-15-13, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hard to believe the police would shoot some black kid for no reason.
Old 03-15-13, 01:27 AM
Suspended

Of course, I'm sure it was planted by cops, etc. Etc. Etc.
There's also about two witnesses that saw what happened from their homes and said when interviewed they didn't see the kid brandish a weapon during the encounter. This is another unfortunate situation in the wake of Trayvon.
Old 03-15-13, 02:45 AM
Banned

Disarm the public.
Old 03-15-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
There's also about two witnesses that saw what happened from their homes and said when interviewed they didn't see the kid brandish a weapon during the encounter. This is another unfortunate situation in the wake of Trayvon.
And unfortunately, when it comes to factual necessity, witnesses are the worst evidence a courtroom has. And conversely, witnesses are great for media sensationalism and myth-creating.
Old 03-15-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I look forward to the pro-police side posting pictures of the victim flashing gang signs on twitter and the anti-police side posting his 1st grade class photo.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.