Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 12-03-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Tunnel vision is a good thing. It prevents not-so-great cops from shooting EVERYONE in the vicinity.
Old 12-03-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bILLwOslvbs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-04-12, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another example of an idiot being arrested for being an idiot. The comments beneath the video on youtube says he considers himself a "civil rights activist." Apparently that's what you are if you refuse to show a cop your ID.
Old 12-04-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
Another example of an idiot being arrested for being an idiot. The comments beneath the video on youtube says he considers himself a "civil rights activist." Apparently that's what you are if you refuse to show a cop your ID.
Or just a citizen following the laws. He didn't have any obligation to show ID.
Old 12-04-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This goes with the post above about filming police:

http://www.infowars.com/u-s-army-sol...ing-questions/
Old 12-04-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Or just a citizen following the laws. He didn't have any obligation to show ID.
If an officer requests you to show ID, you are supposed to present your ID. There is no law that says you are entitled to NOT show ID. That's what an ID is for. However, you do have a choice to NOT show ID. And you will be cited accordingly, and maybe even a few more goodies if you're an asshole about it.

And before you say otherwise...the ACLU even recommends presenting your ID and all necessary paperwork (DL, Vehicle Registration, Insurance, etc).

If you feel you are being discriminated against, then get as much info on the officers involved and the situation and circumstances as possible, and immediately seek an attorney's advice after the incident...not before. Do not try and become an obstacle during an incident. This will only make matters worse, and while you may have been entirely legally correct during the time officers kick the living shit out of your ass, is it really worth proving that point as you walk with a limp for the rest of your life. I would assume, not. The best way to get something on record if things are going rather shitty, is to dial 911 and describe what's going on to the operator. Your attorney can get this and use it as a silver bullet in a court of law.

Be smart. Not a smartass.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-04-12 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
People call 911 for stray dogs?

Anyway, I never knew kvrdave was a cop.
As far as the first video, the guy was told to leave and he did not. I'm under the impression that if you're on private property and you're told to leave, you should leave.

I think the cop should have answered the questions that the guy was asking him. I'm sure that the police aren't required to answer questions they're asked but I think they should be. They serve the public and should therefore have to answer any questions we may have about our stop/arrest of whatever.
Old 12-04-12, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
If an officer requests you to show ID, you are supposed to present your ID. There is no law that says you are entitled to NOT show ID. That's what an ID is for. However, you do have a choice to NOT show ID. And you will be cited accordingly, and maybe even a few more goodies if you're an asshole about it.
The guy should have shown his ID but he should be given a reason why he was asked in the first place.

The guy asked, "Why am I being arrested" and the officer says, "I just told you." I don't think that's a reasonable response but I didn't clearly hear what the officer said in the first place.
Old 12-04-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^^See, here's the problem already. If you have a cop who's an asshole, I'll tell you right now you're gonna lose any argument you have with him. So, do what the motherfucker says and legally retort thereafter.

If a cop randomly picks me to show ID, I don't give a shit. I give it to him, and 15secs has just been taken from my life. Was it really so bad. I spend more time posting comments on DVD Talk.

It seems as if we have those who think they have this mythical right to not show ID, or not do what an agent of the US Government requests. Outside of some really bizarre requests, I really cannot understand this issue, but I'm sure it has to do with those who are just pissy with others who have more power than they do. They like to "test" an officer and see just how far they can push their limits. This is just ridiculous and proves nothing, except the person is just as much an asshole as the officer.

I also find these types of people don't just push the authority issue with cops. They'll do it with just about anyone who has more power over a situation than they do, whether it's a waitress at a restaurant who reinforces the restaurant's policies, or a Best Buy employee who refuses to refund them cash because the person refuses to present ID for returning a bunch of items.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-04-12 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 08:47 PM

^ I agree, show your ID and don't go to jail (Even though I don't think that should be a thing).

But the cop should have to answer questions as to why.
Old 12-04-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^^Yes, I wish the more difficult officers would elaborate more and be more community-minded. It would solve a lot of heated arguments.
Old 12-04-12, 08:53 PM

Old 12-04-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*Some* police officers tend to forget that they are hired and paid to uphold the laws and they, themselves are not above the laws.
Old 12-04-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

About 20 years ago I went to visit some family in Massachussets. I went with some of the folks around my age to the movie theater.
When we got there everything had already started so I said lets leave. As we are pulling out of the parking lot we are cutoff by an unmarked car.
They tell us to gey out of the car. As we are getting out the driver says "Officer why are we being stopped?". The officer does not answer.
He says "Everyone get out of the car and put your hands against the car". As we are being frisked the driver again asks "Officer why are we being stopped?".
The officer tells him to "Shut the fuck up." Then they start searching the car. This went on for a while. After they searched the car and found nothing,
the officer tells us that the car has a faulty tail light. They get into their car and leave.

Have a nice evening!!!!
Old 12-05-12, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And before you say otherwise...the ACLU even recommends presenting your ID and all necessary paperwork (DL, Vehicle Registration, Insurance, etc).
Exactly.
Old 12-05-12, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
About 20 years ago I went to visit some family in Massachussets. I went with some of the folks around my age to the movie theater.
When we got there everything had already started so I said lets leave. As we are pulling out of the parking lot we are cutoff by an unmarked car.
They tell us to gey out of the car. As we are getting out the driver says "Officer why are we being stopped?". The officer does not answer.
He says "Everyone get out of the car and put your hands against the car". As we are being frisked the driver again asks "Officer why are we being stopped?".
The officer tells him to "Shut the fuck up." Then they start searching the car. This went on for a while. After they searched the car and found nothing,
the officer tells us that the car has a faulty tail light. They get into their car and leave.

Have a nice evening!!!!
Police have to do this occasionally to people they believe to be innocent, so they have justification to search the car of people whom they don't like based on nothing more than a bad feeling. That way, they can justify themselves in court when they're asked why they searched the car that had drugs in it by saying that they do perform stops based on minor violations.
Old 12-05-12, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

Have a nice evening!!!!
[TypicalPigBullshit]Well, you must have been doing something suspicious.[\TypicalPigBullshit]
Old 12-05-12, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with most of your post, from a pragmatic point of view. If you're a pain in the ass to a good cop, you're just being a dick. If you're a pain in the ass to a bad cop, it's not possibly going to end well and there's more effective ways to report him/her. That said, I think the logic of 'a cop can cite you for disobeying as long as there's no law specifically granting you the right to not do what they're asking you to do' is complete nonsense. Not sure if that's what you were trying to say, but that's how it reads.
Old 12-05-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some good information on this page about whether you need to show ID when asked by the police:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

Personally I have never been stopped while walking but if I was I would have had no problem showing my ID. I think a lot of people get offended that the police would ask for ID when they have done nothing wrong and without the police explaining why they want to see it. In my opinion if the police explained why they were asking, to see someone's ID, people wouldn't have as much of a problem as they do when no explanation is given.

On the other hand if you watch some police brutality videos on Youtube some police officers, in the videos, do seem to think they can do whatever they want or say whatever they want even though they really don't have the authority to do so. Again I have never been in the situation where I have had a bad experience with a police officer so I don't have a first person view to offer like some people on here who have shared their stories with us.

My father was a police officer for many years and I applied to my town's police force, but didn't make it due to medical reasons, so I'm not in any way anti-police but that doesn't mean the police can "do no wrong" in my eyes.
Old 12-05-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
[TypicalPigBullshit]Well, you must have been doing something suspicious.[\TypicalPigBullshit]
Besides being 4 Hispanics (a couple of which could pass for black) driving through a white neighborhood.
Nah, I doubt it.
Old 12-05-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^^See, here's the problem already. If you have a cop who's an asshole, I'll tell you right now you're gonna lose any argument you have with him. So, do what the motherfucker says and legally retort thereafter.

If a cop randomly picks me to show ID, I don't give a shit. I give it to him, and 15secs has just been taken from my life. Was it really so bad. I spend more time posting comments on DVD Talk.

It seems as if we have those who think they have this mythical right to not show ID, or not do what an agent of the US Government requests. Outside of some really bizarre requests, I really cannot understand this issue, but I'm sure it has to do with those who are just pissy with others who have more power than they do. They like to "test" an officer and see just how far they can push their limits. This is just ridiculous and proves nothing, except the person is just as much an asshole as the officer.

I also find these types of people don't just push the authority issue with cops. They'll do it with just about anyone who has more power over a situation than they do, whether it's a waitress at a restaurant who reinforces the restaurant's policies, or a Best Buy employee who refuses to refund them cash because the person refuses to present ID for returning a bunch of items.
[peter gibbons voice]You know who else wanted to see ID? the nazis. [/pgv]

I'll happily show my ID when it's required. When I get pulled over for speeding, I hand it over, because that's the law.

As for this "It seems as if we have those who think they have this mythical right to not show ID, or not do what an agent of the US Government requests." I just I mean, there is simply no other way to respond.
Old 12-05-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Various police groups want cell companies to be forced to keep a record of all text messages for 2 years. "Just in case" they are needed for future investigations.

The police always show such good judgement, planning for the future like this. Maybe next they can open all the mail that comes through the post office, make a copy of it, and then send it on to the recipient. Just in case. Maybe record all of our phone calls too.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...text-messages/
Old 01-12-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

free image hosting
Old 01-12-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Actually, with a cop dressed like that, and in a stance like that...I sure as hell won't be walking up to them. I'll ask somebody else for directions to the local Taco De Caliente.
Old 01-27-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A guy lays motionless on the ground after being tazed, when unfortunately for him 3 officers all relatively spontaneously develop restless leg syndrome. (bridgeport CT)
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/s...OYPlQNDHBQw66N

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.