DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Dave99 12-01-15 11:52 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12659124)
Homicide is not murder, which is criminal homicide. And not all homicides are a crime.

As such, this may not even fall under a manslaughter charge.

Also, I'm not sure how an ME would know the policy of what is considered properly strapping down an arrested suspect. We can go on and on about the "rough ride" stories and all the boogie man tales, but if there is nobody who can say, "Oh yeah, I saw this van speeding all over the place, slamming on brakes randomly and acting like a maniac," where's the INTENT, I have to ask. If we have a cop who can come forward, who witnessed this abuse, then great. Otherwise, we're convicting officers on suspicion, myth, and fantastical wishful thinking by certain groups of the public. This is not the way to convict people.

If you don't secure a passenger, especially one who is cuffed and shackled and therefore can't brace themselves, and that person dies from an injury that almost certainly can only be explained by extreme driving, then where does that lead you?

And why wouldn't the ME know? You think he can't pick up a phone and call HQ and find out what the procedure is? It probably goes like this:

ME: are cuffed people supposed to be secured in the van?
police: yes
ME: was this guy secured in the van?
police: no
ME: hmm. ok. thanks. bye.

emanon 12-02-15 05:48 AM

Which guy are we talking about here? The dead one? That makes it difficult to lighten the fuck up.

CaptainMarvel 12-02-15 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by emanon (Post 12659250)
Which guy are we talking about here? The dead one? That makes it difficult to lighten the fuck up.

I think it's a bot. That user's post is a copy of the 4th post in this thread, responding to the 1st post.

Edit:Yeah... he/she/it is just taking things people previously said in threads and reposting them.

CaptainMarvel 12-02-15 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
My experiences with most in store security systems (minus a few places that are super high tech like Wal-Mart) is they use cutrate systems that aren't exactly user friendly.

"FBI found no evidence of tampering with Burger King video"

A forensic analysis for the FBI found “absolutely no evidence of tampering” with video from a Burger King near the scene where Laquan McDonald was gunned down by Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke last year on the South Side, a source close to the investigation said Monday.

An 86-minute gap in the Burger King tape and the fact that police officers spent about two hours at the restaurant on the night of the shooting trying to retrieve the video is fueling speculation about a police conspiracy to erase that portion of the tape.

“The district manager told us it was deleted,” said Jeffrey Neslund, an attorney for the McDonald family. “It is curious that there were 86 minutes missing. We don’t know for a matter of certainty what happened to the Burger King video, but we know what the employees told us.”

But a source close to the investigation said the FBI had the Burger King video “forensically analyzed.”

“They looked at it and found absolutely no evidence of any tampering or any removal of any portion of the tape,” the source said.

That system that Burger King has is a mess and it would break down in the weeks and months before this incident. There were major gaps everywhere,” the source added.

Why, then, did the officers spend nearly two hours at the Burger King?

“They were trying to get to the video to see if it captured anything. They weren’t trying to delete anything. . . . All that tape would show is [McDonald] running around before the shooting. There was no reason for them to tamper with it,” the source said.

The FBI analysis helps explain why Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez and Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy virtually ruled out police tampering last week on the day Van Dyke, who is white, was charged with first-degree murder for shooting McDonald, who is black.

“We have looked at those videos . . . and it doesn’t appear that it’s been tampered with,” Alvarez said on that day. McCarthy said on that same day that reports of tampering were “absolutely not true. And I think the state’s attorney addressed that. There were apparently technical difficulties. But in no way, shape or form is there any evidence that anything was tampered with.”

Conspiracy theories are also being fueled by reports that witnesses who saw Van Dyke unload 16 rounds into the McDonald’s body were turned away by at least five other officers at the scene.

Neslund, the attorney for the McDonald family, said other witnesses were taken to a police station “and told over a period of hours to change their stories.”

The 86-minute segment of missing video could have shown witnesses’ reactions to the shooting and their later interactions with police, Neslund said.

But the source said the Independent Police Review Authority spent about a week interviewing witnesses after McDonald’s death before referring the case to the state’s attorneys’ office — and found no evidence anybody was turned away.

“Witnesses have been interviewed and told investigators what they saw. We’ve had nobody come and say, ‘I was there and they chased me away.’ People are seeing [a conspiracy] under every tree,” the source said.

IPRA has suspended its administrative investigation pending the outcome of the joint state and federal investigation. When the IPRA investigation resumes, sources said it will examine two other issues: Why none of at least five other police officers who arrived at the scene offered medical assistance to McDonald and why none of the dashboard camera videos had any working audio.

“With 16 shots, officers may argue that McDonald was too shot up to bother. But somebody should have gone over to check on him. They called an ambulance quickly and the ambulance got there while he was still alive. So somebody should have gone to check on him,” the source said.

Last week, McCarthy said there was “no audio to my knowledge with any of the video that was taken” on the night McDonald was killed. The superintendent acknowledged that’s a break from police protocol. “Sometimes we have technical difficulties. Sometimes officers need to be disciplined if they don’t turn it on at the right circumstance,” McCarthy said.

When it resumes, the IPRA investigation will determine whether those microphones were turned off deliberately or, if there was a malfunction, whether there was a “repair ticket” on those faulty microphones, the source said.

Dave99 12-02-15 10:25 PM

leaked documents show Alabama police apparently working hard to keep them black people behind bars...up to 12 officers planted drugs & guns on suspects for years, internal affairs investigated, DA covers it up. Nothing will likely happen to any of them.

http://henrycountyreport.com/blog/20...ska-complicit/

CaptainMarvel 12-03-15 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12660203)
leaked documents show Alabama police apparently working hard to keep them black people behind bars...up to 12 officers planted drugs & guns on suspects for years, internal affairs investigated, DA covers it up. Nothing will likely happen to any of them.

http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/loca...tml?TNNoMobile

Chief Steve Parrish addresses accusations of public corruption by local blogger

JAY HARE / DOTHAN EAGLE Dothan Police Chief Steve Parrish addresses allegations from a blogger that the department had planted drugs on suspects in the past during a news conference at the Dothan Police Department on Wednesday.

Matt Elofson
Crime and courts reporter | Updated 6 hours ago

Dothan Police Chief Steve Parrish released a statement on Wednesday regarding the recent allegations from a local blogger of public corruption by the leadership of the Dothan Police Department and 20th Judicial Circuit.

Parrish held a press briefing Wednesday afternoon during which he publicly addressed what he referred to as “misinformation” spread by a local internet blogger. Parrish said the Internet post made by Jon Carroll on the Henry County Report website was filled with “outright lies.”

“In today’s social media driven society, many individuals take what they read on the Internet as factual. While I am not in the habit of responding to misinformation published online by bloggers, accusations made concerning the credibility of the men and women of this agency shall not go unanswered,” Parrish said in the prepared statement he read aloud. “There are simply too many outright lies and fabrications in the blog to address individually, but his 'opinion' has apparently been taken by many as 'fact.'”

Parrish said he preferred not to even hold the press briefing, because he said it gave the blogger a “little” credibility. Parrish said he’s received numerous calls from media across the country inquiring about the allegations made in the blog post, including the New York Times and CNN.

“It’s a sad day when people read something online and they take it for fact. The slant is there. He has an agenda. It’s the speculation of a loon and what he says happened,” Parrish said. “We are loyal servants to this city and its visitors.”

The report from the blog suggests Parrish, District Attorney Doug Valeska, former Sheriff Andy Hughes along with other leadership of the Dothan Police Department were involved in planting drugs and other evidence on black men during criminal investigations.

The report specifically mentioned the activity of former Dothan police officer Michael Magrino, who now works as a local private investigator. Magrino declined to publicly comment about the blog post.

The blog post included several one-page documents with portions of sentences either highlighted or blacked out.

“While the photo copies of the documents posted online from Mr. Carroll appear to be authentic in nature they are arranged and redacted in a way to promote his agenda,” Parrish said in the statement.

“The specific incident he is illustrating involving a former officer was addressed and handled in accordance with applicable laws and department policy when it occurred back in the late 1990s.”

Parrish said the officer mentioned in the blog post has not worked at the department since then. He also said it was important to note the accusations against the officer were for the improper storage of evidence and not the “planting of evidence.”

Parrish even challenged Carroll to post something with names, such as the names of people who claimed to have had drugs and evidence planted on them.

“It burns me up when people get on the internet and run their mouth,” Parrish said. “I want to ask Mr. Carroll to put his money where his mouth is, and bring me some names.”

Parrish continued to deny any involvement in illegal activities. He encouraged any agency, including federal ones, to make inquiries.

“I’ve put 500 people in jail for drugs in my career, and I’ve never had a complaint filed against me,” Parrish said.

Parrish also addressed a photo of himself standing behind a confederate flag with a group of other law enforcement officers, including former Sheriff Andy Hughes.

The blog refers to Parrish’s involvement in the group called the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) as that of a Neo-confederate organization labeled, according to the post, as “racial extremists.”

“I am a history enthusiast,” Parrish said. “My ancestors fought for the South during the Civil War, and I’m proud of it.”

Parrish said in 1999 and 2000 he started a local chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

He called the organization a nonprofit group with 501-3c status. The blog post never actually named the group in which Parrish was shown holding up a Confederate flag. Parrish stopped serving with the group in 2005.

“I’m red, white and blue to the core,” Parrish said.

Former police chief

The blog post stated former Dothan Police Chief John White instructed officers to ignore complaints made to the department in regard to planting evidence. The complaint alleged there were multiple officers within the department with pending complaints against them for planting evidence all underneath White’s supervision.

“The allegations he made against me are just ridiculous. They’re not based on fact, they’re just crazy,” White said. “This just goes to his pattern and practice of publishing defamatory information without any vetting or act to determine the truth and veracity of what he’s publishing.”

White said the documents on the blog post were over 12 years old and provided to Carroll by a former Dothan Police officer, who served for less than a year in the 1970s, and had obtained them as discovery in an unrelated civil lawsuit.

“He in no way gives us any name of any individual that was allegedly prosecuted based on planted evidence,” White said.

The blog post suggested Magrino was involved in criminal acts such as planting drugs and other evidence. But White said an inquiry showed otherwise.

White said the specific allegations made against Magrino involved the improper storage of evidence not the planting of evidence. He said a supervisor of Magrino’s performed a random inspection on his patrol vehicle and discovered drugs and firearms, properly packaged for evidence, which had not been turned in to the police evidence officer. White said Magrino was written up for the evidence storage issue. White said Magrino later resigned after a second similar evidence storage issue came up.

White said the internal affairs inquiry involving Magrino showed nothing to indicate he had planted any evidence on anyone.

“He committed no crime, he simply violated procedure,” White said. “Magrino was an excellent police officer, and it was sad he wound up losing his job because of procedural violations.”

White said he has already sent Carroll a certified letter demanding a retraction to a post the Henry County Report made recently, which involved accusations against law enforcement in the unsolved murders of Tracie Hawlett and J.B. Beasley in Ozark. White said he represents several of the law enforcement officers accused of wrongdoing in the report posted by Carroll.

“I sent them a certified letter giving them notice to post a retraction in the same manner that they published the defamatory information,” White said. “If they fail to do so we will proceed with a civil suit.”

White said he plans to file a similar certified letter on his own behalf in regard to the report posted on the blog this week alleging public corruption by Dothan police.

White said he had reporters from the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, among others, contact him Wednesday about the validity of the blog post.

“They’re professional journalists and they called me to find out if there is any basis and fact, they’re doing their job just like he should’ve done,” White said. “I’ve had no one come forward and make an official complaint to be investigated regarding the planting of drugs or evidence. When there was rumor and anonymous complaints made as such they were investigated, later determined to be unfounded. I wouldn’t let any subversive conduct on the part of my staff or myself taint my honesty, integrity and law enforcement legacy which is really the only thing I can leave my sons.”

Tom Banjo 12-03-15 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12660203)

Very questionable source. This is a blog, not an actual news site. This Jon Carroll guy is a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist that also goes by the name Mose Kalev and identifies as a sovereign citizen. I wish I could find the article I ran across on him earlier. It's worth noting that the Southern Poverty Law Center initially ran with this story, but have since apparently backtracked and deleted the link from their Facebook page.

Dave99 12-03-15 05:20 PM

I'll try to post a bit more legitimate news this time, maryland officer convicted of multiple counts, after pointing a gun at a motorists head over a parking issue. The jury says he's guilty, his chief of police says "His behavior is flagrant, appalling and isolated", however the president of the police union is disappointed in the guilty verdict. Faces up to 45 years, will be interesting to see what he ends up with.

Side note, how awful does an officers behavior need to be for the police union to agree with a conviction?

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loca...head/76662714/

van der graaf 12-03-15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12661060)
I'll try to post a bit more legitimate news this time, maryland officer convicted of multiple counts, after pointing a gun at a motorists head over a parking issue. The jury says he's guilty, his chief of police says "His behavior is flagrant, appalling and isolated", however the president of the police union is disappointed in the guilty verdict. Faces up to 45 years, will be interesting to see what he ends up with.

Side note, how awful does an officers behavior need to be for the police union to agree with a conviction?

Some of you REALLY do not understand how labor unions work....

JimRochester 12-04-15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12661060)

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12661080)
Some of you REALLY do not understand how labor unions work....

The unions job is to defend the officer no matter what. The players union did it for multiple domestic abuse cases in the NFL. Teachers unions do it all the time. Locally we've had teachers removed from classrooms but being paid not to teach because the union is fighting it. My wife is a teacher and I don't want to see her fired so they can hire a younger teacher cheaper. That's not the case. We have one that's an African-American lesbian teacher who was accused of inappropriate contact and asking female students to disrobe, however the union is fighting it accusing the district of racism and prejudice. This woman even sent numerous romantic letters to a co-worker even after getting a restraining order prohibiting such.

So the easy answer is that even if the cop was accused of being the next Charlie Manson, the union would defend him.

van der graaf 12-04-15 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 12662077)
The unions job is to defend the officer no matter what. The players union did it for multiple domestic abuse cases in the NFL. Teachers unions do it all the time. Locally we've had teachers removed from classrooms but being paid not to teach because the union is fighting it. My wife is a teacher and I don't want to see her fired so they can hire a younger teacher cheaper. That's not the case. We have one that's an African-American lesbian teacher who was accused of inappropriate contact and asking female students to disrobe, however the union is fighting it accusing the district of racism and prejudice. This woman even sent numerous romantic letters to a co-worker even after getting a restraining order prohibiting such.

So the easy answer is that even if the cop was accused of being the next Charlie Manson, the union would defend him.

Exactly. No matter how fucked the members are, it is the union's responsibility to (1) defend the member (usually all the way to and including arbitration) and (2), and this is vitally connected to point 1, to not create any precedent where the union does not support a member. It may seem odd, but ultimately it is to protect other members now and down road. There is a much larger game at play than this one person or incident.

Dave99 12-04-15 08:33 PM

I can understand supporting them, but will they ever agree with a guilty verdict?

JimRochester 12-04-15 10:01 PM

No they won't

rw2516 12-05-15 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 12662077)

But do other unions defend members against criminal charges? Does teachers union defend teachers against criminal charges proclaiming their innocence? Do players unions defend players against criminal charges?
If a truck driver on drugs hits a school bus and kills some kids, do the Teamsters say he's innocent and defend him?
A guy working the assembly line at Ford gets busted with kiddie porn, does the union defend him?
All unions defend the members in the workplace. But do they all extend that beyond the workplace? Will a union defend a member in a dispute with their HOA also? Will a union go to bat for a member in a divorce/custody battle?

JimRochester 12-05-15 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 12662646)
But do other unions defend members against criminal charges? Does teachers union defend teachers against criminal charges proclaiming their innocence? Do players unions defend players against criminal charges?
If a truck driver on drugs hits a school bus and kills some kids, do the Teamsters say he's innocent and defend him?
A guy working the assembly line at Ford gets busted with kiddie porn, does the union defend him?
All unions defend the members in the workplace. But do they all extend that beyond the workplace? Will a union defend a member in a dispute with their HOA also? Will a union go to bat for a member in a divorce/custody battle?

You seem angry at me as though I approve. I'm only answering the question. As stated in my post, yes they do. This particular teacher I mentioned had the union attorney going to court protecting her from everything she was accused of, then turned the tables on the district accusing them of racism and homophobia. Lesson learned, if you are a lesbian African American you can pretty much do anything you want then accuse your accusers of racism and homophobia.

For the NFL or other players unions you can research the extent at which the union defended Ray Rice, Adrian Petersen, etc. ,when they are accused but they will and did help them with criminal charges.

For Police Officers, that is partially what they pay the union for. It's not just for wage and benefit negotiations. Our justice system is designed to give accused the benefit of the doubt. The same is true even more-so for Police. If Police did not have protection under the law they would be unable or unwilling to perform their jobs. When a problem happens with LEO, its not just a simple matter of whether or was criminal or not.

Is the LEO a shitty cop who abused the system? - Why did you pepper spray that 90 year old guy?
Have they made a pattern of abusing the system? - For the second time.
Do they have a great record but made an honest mistake? You shot a 14 year old with a toy gun. It was dark, he was 5' 10" and he had a weapon in his hand
Did he follow the training or did he go rogue? Your academy teaches people to pepper spray 90 year olds going too fast in their scooter?

Every cop involved in an officer involved shooting or major altercation whether criminally charged or not will be sued along with the department. The union will provide legal help for that as well.

General Zod 12-05-15 02:40 PM

Well this didn't look justified.. Not graphic particularly but .. disturbing. His weapon is a razor..

Spoiler:

This was a couple of hours ago in Miami.

I expect riots and Obama to make a statement.

slop101 12-05-15 03:04 PM

He was just standing there surrounded by cops. Even stranger than him not doing what he was told was that he was shot. What a bunch of fucking pussies.

Lt Ripley 12-05-15 03:16 PM

Nothing compared to the 16 round fellow.

van der graaf 12-05-15 03:20 PM

The only thing I imagine that can justify that shooting is if it appeared dude was going to set off a bomb. He claimed to have one. Doubtful he did, though. But, if he was reaching into his pocket with the hand we cannot see, I could see that being the claim. We'll see....

Dave99 12-05-15 04:42 PM

Did they kill him? I see a tazer deployed, then immediately shots fire, but was wondering if it was beanbags. Or possibly the tazer sound made the group fire, in which case that's a big problem.

edit: yep, he's dead. And I'm betting the noise triggered the shot.

General Zod 12-05-15 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12663066)
Did they kill him?

Yes

Dave99 12-05-15 04:58 PM

And it was only the guy just to the left of the 911 on the car that fired. After watching that a few times, I'm really leaning towards that is a bad shoot. The dead guy doesn't move his feet at all, and if his arms move, it appears to be a reaction to the tazer, but his position doesn't change an inch.

And it kind of looked like the guy on the left looked at the shooter like wtf did you just do?

inri222 12-07-15 08:31 AM

This could have ended really bad.

Maryland Police Release Video Showing Cop Pointing A Gun To A Man’s Head

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b072e9d1c46cda

inri222 12-09-15 08:23 AM

2 in New York Police Dept. Are Accused of Taking Bribes From Bar Owners

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/ny...ners.html?_r=0

van der graaf 12-10-15 09:53 PM

Oklahoma ex-policeman guilty of raping women while on duty