DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

inri222 11-26-15 11:44 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

So there was a second video with footage of what happened before the shooting that all of a sudden was deleted after it was viewed by police.

Police Have No Idea How Laquan McDonald Footage Vanished Right After They Watched It
A Burger King manager says police deleted the restaurant's surveillance video, but police say they have no idea what happened.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b072e9d1c1469b

Lt Ripley 11-26-15 12:19 PM

Good start. They need to go to the Austin, Garfield Park, North Lawndale, Humboldt Park areas and set up camp for days and protest. Not a quick march.

Lt Ripley 11-26-15 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12654784)

That should be easy to tell exactly when it was deleted.

CaptainMarvel 11-26-15 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12654784)
So there was a second video with footage of what happened before the shooting that all of a sudden was deleted after it was viewed by police.

Police Have No Idea How Laquan McDonald Footage Vanished Right After They Watched It
A Burger King manager says police deleted the restaurant's surveillance video, but police say they have no idea what happened.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b072e9d1c1469b

I understand that footage going missing will prompt conspiracy theories, but my understanding is:

1) The Burger King cameras don't even show the area where the shooting happened, and
2) The officer who shot McDonald only arrived on scene moments befote the shooting,

so exactly what sinister content is allegedly missing here? The video that shows the core of the charges (the dashcam) was not deleted.

Lt Ripley 11-26-15 01:11 PM

It is the fact that it is missing that is the big deal. Did the cops wipe it or did the BG manager do it to stir up controversy?

CaptainMarvel 11-26-15 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 12654872)
It is the fact that it is missing that is the big deal. Did the cops wipe it or did the BG manager do it to stir up controversy?

Who knows? Chicago police reviewed the footage on the day of the shooting. The independent review agency's investigators showed up the next day and it was discovered gone. For the police to have deleted it at the initial viewing, that would mean nobody (including no curious employees and nobody from corporate) would have tried to review the footage in the interim, because its absence would have been discovered at that point.

I doubt the BK manager did it to "stir up controversy," any more than I suspect police purposefully deleted anything as a cover up. I think somebody just screwed up. My experiences with most in store security systems (minus a few places that are super high tech like Wal-Mart) is they use cutrate systems that aren't exactly user friendly.

Giantrobo 11-26-15 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 12654816)
Good start. They need to go to the Austin, Garfield Park, North Lawndale, Humboldt Park areas and set up camp for days and protest. Not a quick march.

It's something. Just like marches won't stop Police Brutality, marches also won't stop the civilian murders. But this idea that Blacks don't care or that BLM can only focus on one issue is bullshit.

Lt Ripley 11-26-15 02:31 PM

I agree for the most part. I just think the extremely dangerous areas should be protested just as vigorously as the police stations. I understand that all involved feel more secure in front of the police stations, but it still needs to be faced head on. In front of the police station is a "safe zone" compared to Austin.

Lt Ripley 11-26-15 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12654889)
Who knows? Chicago police reviewed the footage on the day of the shooting. The independent review agency's investigators showed up the next day and it was discovered gone. For the police to have deleted it at the initial viewing, that would mean nobody (including no curious employees and nobody from corporate) would have tried to review the footage in the interim, because its absence would have been discovered at that point.

I doubt the BK manager did it to "stir up controversy," any more than I suspect police purposefully deleted anything as a cover up. I think somebody just screwed up. My experiences with most in store security systems (minus a few places that are super high tech like Wal-Mart) is they use cutrate systems that aren't exactly user friendly.

Wouldn't the person wiping it, only be able to wipe up to the point they are about to leave that room? Would the cameras not show them leaving the restaurant at that point? Who is the first person, the cameras pick up after the missing data?

Ignore that question if the claim is that they hacked it online.

CaptainMarvel 11-26-15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 12654926)
Wouldn't the person wiping it, only be able to wipe up to the point they are about to leave that room? Would the cameras not show them leaving the restaurant at that point? Who is the first person, the cameras pick up after the missing data?

Ignore that question if the claim is that they hacked it online.

:shrug:

You're asking questions none of us have any way of answering without knowing the specifics of how that particular system operates. For example, if the system records each 30 minute long "block" of footage as its own file (which isn't abnormal, because video files can get rather large, so they're often broken into blocks), then what you're saying wouldn't be the case... you could selectively delete portions.

I have no idea what happened to it. If footage of a police shooting went missing, I'd be suspicious. But this wasn't, and it just seems like a weird thing to try to intentionally "cover up." Especially since there's zero allegations that anything improper happened prior to the actual shooting.

inri222 11-30-15 07:27 PM

Fuck the Muslims! Trump for President! New Jersey cop tells it how it is on Facebook. This guy should be a hero. :sarcasm:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...slim_face.html

http://media.nj.com/hudsoncountynow_...dcee34f5f2.jpg

Lt Ripley 11-30-15 08:07 PM

Busy sccomodatin' the Kaws! Sadatay.

Josh-da-man 12-01-15 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12657816)
Fuck the Muslims! Trump for President! New Jersey cop tells it how it is on Facebook. This guy should be a hero. :sarcasm:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...slim_face.html

http://media.nj.com/hudsoncountynow_...dcee34f5f2.jpg

Remember, if you are old enough, about twenty years ago when the only people you would encounter on the 'net were of above average intelligence? You would encounter lots of different people with all kinds of knowledge and beliefs from all across the political spectrum. Some of them could be incredibly polite and patient, others snarky assholes with rapier-sharp wits. But rarely would you encounter a blathering dipshit.

Goddamn, we've lowered that bar, haven't we?

Thanks, Al Gore!

Ranger 12-01-15 09:13 AM

What exactly happened with the Freddie Gray case?

It was a random stop-and-frisk and he was wrongfully arrested for having a legal (assisted?) folding knife, not auto-blade? And that he wasn't secured to his seat in the police van and the driver was speeding?

DaveyJoe 12-01-15 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 12658240)
What exactly happened with the Freddie Gray case?

It was a random stop-and-frisk and he was wrongfully arrested for having a legal (assisted?) folding knife, not auto-blade? And that he wasn't secured to his seat in the police van and the driver was speeding?

It wasn't just speeding but supposedly a 'rough ride,' where the driver drives recklessly with the intention of hurting the suspect in the back of the van.

JimRochester 12-01-15 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12658470)
It wasn't just speeding but supposedly a 'rough ride,' where the driver drives recklessly with the intention of hurting the suspect in the back of the van.

I will admit to not being fully educated on this one. If it was the driver, why were 6 people charged? I heard something about refusing medical help he asked for. Were the other 5 accused of ignoring his requests?

DaveyJoe 12-01-15 05:37 PM

Officer Caesar R. Goodson Jr.

1) Second-degree depraved heart murder (30 yrs.)

2) Manslaughter (involuntary) (10 yrs.)

3) Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)

4) Manslaughter by vehicle (gross negligence) (10 yrs.)

5) Manslaughter by vehicle (criminal negligence) (3 yrs.)

6) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

7) Reckless endangerment (5 yrs.)

Officer William G. Porter

1) Manslaughter (involuntary) (10 yrs.)

2) Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)

3) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

4) Reckless endangerment (5 yrs.)

Lt. Brian W. Rice

4) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

5) Reckless endangerment (5 yrs.)

Officer Edward M. Nero

1) Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)

2) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

Officer Garrett E. Miller

1) Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)

2) Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

Sgt. Alicia D. White

*Any sentence that does not constitute cruel & unusual punishment

Dave99 12-01-15 08:50 PM

I'd imagine they are going for the angle where the other officers were aware of the rough ride or requested it, it wasn't just the driver doing it on his own.

DVD Polizei 12-01-15 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12658470)

So, what about this witness.

“A source close to the case is telling us there is actual videotape of Donta Allen telling police that Freddie Gray was repeatedly banging his head against the van, that he sounded like a madman and that the was asking himself why cops would put him in the van with a crazy person,” Kelly said.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/30/re...#ixzz3t8DI1iFN
All these allegations, and nobody was even a witness to the driving EXCEPT for this witness, who was IN THE VAN.

And amazingly, this guy changed his story once things progressed and he found out that cops were charged with the suspect's death. However, there is documentation (a video) of Allen's account of Freddie Gray hitting himself in the van, so we'll see what happens.

DaveyJoe 12-01-15 10:26 PM

The Baltimore Sun has obtained a leaked copy of Freddie Gray’s autopsy report and according to the Maryland state medical examiner’s office he was most likely killed during a “sudden deceleration” of the police van in which he was riding.

Gray reportedly suffered a single “high-impact injury,” which the medical examiner determined should be considered a homicide as opposed to an accident because the officers put him in the vehicle with wrist and ankle shackles but did not properly belt him in. Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts admitted as much back in April, leading many to believe Gray was a victim of the common “rough ride” treatment.

DVD Polizei 12-01-15 11:18 PM

Homicide is not murder, which is criminal homicide. And not all homicides are a crime.

As such, this may not even fall under a manslaughter charge.

Also, I'm not sure how an ME would know the policy of what is considered properly strapping down an arrested suspect. We can go on and on about the "rough ride" stories and all the boogie man tales, but if there is nobody who can say, "Oh yeah, I saw this van speeding all over the place, slamming on brakes randomly and acting like a maniac," where's the INTENT, I have to ask. If we have a cop who can come forward, who witnessed this abuse, then great. Otherwise, we're convicting officers on suspicion, myth, and fantastical wishful thinking by certain groups of the public. This is not the way to convict people.

DaveyJoe 12-01-15 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12659124)
Homicide is not murder, which is criminal homicide. And not all homicides are a crime.

Also, I'm not sure how an ME would know the policy of what is considered properly strapping down an arrested suspect. We can go on and on about the "rough ride" stories and all the boogie man tales, but if there is nobody who can say, "Oh yeah, I saw this van speeding all over the place, slamming on brakes randomly and acting like a maniac," where's the INTENT, I have to ask.

Could self inflicted head wounds lead to what might be considered a homicide?

Dave99 12-01-15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12659124)

Also, I'm not sure how an ME would know the policy of what is considered properly strapping down an arrested suspect. We can go on and on about the "rough ride" stories and all the boogie man tales, but if there is nobody who can say, "Oh yeah, I saw this van speeding all over the place, slamming on brakes randomly and acting like a maniac," where's the INTENT, I have to ask. If we have a cop who can come forward, who witnessed this abuse, then great. Otherwise, we're convicting officers on suspicion, myth, and fantastical wishful thinking by certain groups of the public. This is not the way to convict people.

If you don't secure a passenger, especially one who is cuffed and shackled and therefore can't brace themselves, and that person dies from an injury that almost certainly can only be explained by extreme driving, then where does that lead you?

And why wouldn't the ME know? You think he can't pick up a phone and call HQ and find out what the procedure is? It probably goes like this:

ME: are cuffed people supposed to be secured in the van?
police: yes
ME: was this guy secured in the van?
police: no
ME: hmm. ok. thanks. bye.

emanon 12-02-15 05:48 AM

Which guy are we talking about here? The dead one? That makes it difficult to lighten the fuck up.

CaptainMarvel 12-02-15 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by emanon (Post 12659250)
Which guy are we talking about here? The dead one? That makes it difficult to lighten the fuck up.

I think it's a bot. That user's post is a copy of the 4th post in this thread, responding to the 1st post.

Edit:Yeah... he/she/it is just taking things people previously said in threads and reposting them.