DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Draven 11-06-15 05:50 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

But....but...you're just supposed to go along with the cops and it'll all work out in the courts, right?

van der graaf 11-06-15 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12638294)
Well, since those people are covered, what's your take on it?

According to you? :lol: My take is that you're just like him.

CaptainMarvel 11-06-15 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12638441)
According to you? :lol: My take is that you're just like him.

Your wit is as sharp as your reading comprehension. :thumbsup:

van der graaf 11-06-15 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12638444)
Your wit is as sharp as your reading comprehension. :thumbsup:

And your inability to understand anything outside your own prescribed, myopic ramblings is as dull as your attempts to be clever, not to mention your human sensibilities. :thumbsup:

DVD Polizei 11-06-15 06:16 PM

Speaking of myopic inabilities, you're defending a guy who writes and directs some of the most violent movies ever, and yet direct your anger of inappropriate violence to Law Enforcement.

Why don't you go vote for Ben Carson. He's right up your alley. :up:

van der graaf 11-06-15 06:25 PM

http://holykaw.alltop.com/wp-content...oxco_JBwei.jpg

CaptainMarvel 11-06-15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12638448)
And your inability to understand anything outside your own prescribed, myopic ramblings is as dull as your attempts to be clever, not to mention your human sensibilities. :thumbsup:

That's because I have no human sensibilities. I'm a robot. Check your human privilege.

van der graaf 11-06-15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12638508)
That's because I have no human sensibilities. I'm a robot. Check your human privilege.

Yeah, dull.

CaptainMarvel 11-06-15 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12638522)
Yeah, dull.

Bleep, blorp. Robot can't understand you.

(Good thing too... It would hurt my feelings that one of the most unpleasant and blatantly one sided posters... and one who made such a hilariously bad assessment of "privilege" that the thread got stickied at that... thinks poorly of me. :lol:)

Back to topic, it was a good thing this abuse was caught on camera.

van der graaf 11-06-15 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12638531)
Bleep, blorp. Robot can't understand you.

(Good thing too... It would hurt my feelings that one of the most unpleasant and blatantly one sided posters... and one who made such a hilariously bad assessment of "privilege" that the thread got stickied at that... thinks poorly of me. :lol:)

Back to topic, it was a good thing this abuse was caught on camera.

Dull AND slow. Shocking.

CaptainMarvel 11-06-15 08:14 PM

:( He keeps saying mean things, guys.

van der graaf 11-06-15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12638534)
:( He keeps saying mean things, guys.

Robots don't have feelings. Nor do puppets.

CaptainMarvel 11-06-15 08:17 PM

Nor do douches.

van der graaf 11-06-15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12638538)
Nor do douches.

You'd know.

CaptainMarvel 11-06-15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12638540)
You'd know.

So we're to the point of "nuh uh, you" retorts now?

van der graaf 11-06-15 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12638543)
So we're to the point of "nuh uh, you" retorts now?

Check your posting history, you've been there for a long, long time.

CaptainMarvel 11-06-15 08:23 PM

Sick burn!

Pharoh 11-06-15 09:01 PM

Mod Note: Stop the antagonistic back and forth.

The thread will stay open for now, but the next step is closure and exiles or suspensions.

JCWBobC 11-07-15 12:14 AM

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...graphic-video/

"The Hummelstown Borough Police Department in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, has released new video of a police officer fatally shooting a man, hours after the police officer was cleared on all charges related to the deadly incident.

Hummelstown police officer Lisa Mearkle was cleared of any wrongdoing in the death of 59-year-old David Kassick on Thursday. Mearkle was facing third-degree murder, voluntary manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter charges for her role in the fatal shooting of Kassik back in February, WGAL-TV reported.

The video shows Kassik complies with the officer’s demands to lie face down on the ground with his hands visible as the officer continues to shoot him with a Taser and, moments later, fires two bullets into Kassik, killing him.

A spokesman for the Dauphin County district attorney’s office told TheBlaze that members of the jury saw the exact same footage as what has been released “several times.” He said the officer is still on paid leave.

Mearkle is planning to return to her job, according to WGAL-TV.

“We are grateful to the 12 citizens who reviewed the evidence and recognized Officer Mearkle’s actions for what they were and delivered a fair and just verdict,” the Pennsylvania Fraternal Order of Police said after the verdict was announced. ”By the same token, we’re disappointed that the [D.A.'s] office did not come to that same conclusion eight months ago.”

Members of Kassik’s family, however, were angered by the verdict the jury reached. WGAL-TV reported his nephew yelled “murderer” at Mearkle in the courtroom, as other family members exited the courtroom in tears.

See the newly-released video footage from the deadly confrontation below."

Surprised no one is talking about this on here. I watched the video and to me, just a citizen and not a police officer, it looks like the guy has his hands out in front of him when he gets shot even though she keeps yelling for him to show his hands. Also he is continually being tasered & his body is convulsing, which you would think the officer would know since they have to be trained on using a taser, so how does she expect him to keeps his hands out at all times?

So in my opinion she got away with murder but I guess it comes down to what the criteria is for a justifiable shooting within her department. Thoughts???

GreenMonkey 11-07-15 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by JCWBobC (Post 12638697)

Surprised no one is talking about this on here. I watched the video and to me, just a citizen and not a police officer, it looks like the guy has his hands out in front of him when he gets shot even though she keeps yelling for him to show his hands. Also he is continually being tasered & his body is convulsing, which you would think the officer would know since they have to be trained on using a taser, so how does she expect him to keeps his hands out at all times?

So in my opinion she got away with murder but I guess it comes down to what the criteria is for a justifiable shooting within her department. Thoughts???

Seems pretty bad to me.

I mean, if you keep tazing the guy, he's gonna clutch his stomach / move around, etc.

But it seems like pretty much any shooting is justifiable with "I thought he was reaching for a gun".

Baron Of Hell 11-07-15 01:28 AM

Cop screaming to show his hands when he is showing his. Cop thinking he is reaching for something while she is shocking him and can't control his hands. Another cop gets away with murder.

CaptainMarvel 11-07-15 08:14 AM

Without comment as to the shooting:

Also he is continually being tasered & his body is convulsing, which you would think the officer would know since they have to be trained on using a taser, so how does she expect him to keeps his hands out at all times?

I mean, if you keep tazing the guy, he's gonna clutch his stomach / move around, etc.

Cop screaming to show his hands when he is showing his. Cop thinking he is reaching for something while she is shocking him and can't control his hands.
Sometimes I feel like we're not watching the same videos, or some of you don't understand how a taser works.

This guy was not incapacitated. If you get good contact and a sufficient spread with the taser probes, it causes neuromuscular disruption, which makes the person lose control of their body. If you don't get a sufficient spread, or if there isn't good contact with the probes, electricity may flow and hurt, but it's not going to cause you to lose control of your limbs, or make it where you "can't control your hands." You are entirely capable of fighting through the pain at that point, and it doesn't cause some sort of cartoon-like flailing. This guy was being hurt every time the taser was applied, but he was not incapacitated, and he was clearly trying to fight through it

During the periods when she's not applying electricity (you can hear the clicking sound stop), it is very clear he's not being compliant. At around :37 he starts to reach into his jacket (prompting another round of electricity). If I had seen that, my assumption at that point would be, "he is armed."

You can see him reaching down at around the :50 second mark ... while the taser is active (again, not incapacitated)... and trying to pull out one of the wires. If you pause, you can even see the wire in his hand.

From about :55 to 1:13, she isn't applying any current whatsoever. He's still trying to crawl away, and he still keeps putting his hands under his body.

JCWBobC 11-07-15 04:05 PM

So coming from someone with better insight into the situation and just purely asking for your opinion based on what you saw on the video is this a justifiable shooting? From someone who is not a police officer I think that unless you see a weapon or their is an immediate danger, someone advancing on you or physically threatening you or someone else, their is no excuse to use deadly force. That is just my opinion but again i've never been in any of the hundred situations a police officer goes through every day.

JimRochester 11-07-15 04:27 PM

I would not classify that as compliance. That is not saying the shooting was justified but to me it was clear he was attempting to get up. Although he kept saying he was complying he was getting up on his elbows then had his palms down appearing as though he was going to get up. From the vantage point of the camera, his hands were hidden several times by his head. Now possibly his heavy coat kept his arms from extending out far enough but that is not easy to determine for sure.

What was your evaluation after the first viewing? It's easy to reach different conclusions after watching it several times. She had the one chance and only one. If I were on the jury there would definitely be reasonable doubt.

DVD Polizei 11-07-15 04:31 PM

(not sure if this was posted yet)

Louisiana Police Arrest 2 Officers in 6-Year Old Boy's Shooting Death

5 bullets in the kid's body alone.

Surprisingly, these officers were arrested due to body cam footage. :up:

I highly doubt we'll ever see the footage until after there is a court trial.