DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

inri222 11-04-15 08:34 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

There is war on police.....Oh nevermind

Reports: Illinois cop whose shooting sparked nationwide outrage actually killed himself

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...illed-himself/

inri222 11-04-15 08:57 AM

The guy from from Sean O'Hara's posting

Jury selected in trial of former police officer accused of sexual assault

Daniel Holtzclaw faces 36 charges from burglary to rape

http://www.koco.com/news/trial-again...onday/36200534

Dave99 11-04-15 10:04 AM

violated his bail conditions twice, obviously seems like a guy who can follow the rules.

CaptainMarvel 11-04-15 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12636049)
There is war on police.....Oh nevermind

Reports: Illinois cop whose shooting sparked nationwide outrage actually killed himself

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...illed-himself/

For once, inri222 actually undersold it:

FOX LAKE, Ill. — A northern Illinois police officer whose fatal shooting triggered a large manhunt carefully staged his death to make it look like he was killed in the line of duty and had been stealing for years from a youth program he oversaw, authorities said Wednesday.

Lake County Major Crimes Task Force Commander George Filenko, who led the two-month investigation into the Sept. 1 death of Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, said the popular officer embezzled thousands of dollars from the Fox Lake Police Explorer program for seven years. He said Gliniewicz spent the money on things like mortgage payments, travel expenses, gym memberships and adult websites.

"We have determined this staged suicide was the end result of extensive criminal acts that Gliniewicz had been committing in fact he was under increasing levels of personal stress from scrutiny of his management of the Fox Lake Police Explorer program," Filenko said at a news conference announcing the investigation's findings.

"Gliniewicz committed the ultimate betrayal," he added.

On the day he died, Gliniewicz radioed in that he was chasing three suspicious men in a swampy area near Fox Lake, which is north of Chicago. Backup officers later found the Army veteran's body about 50 yards from his squad car.

Gliniewicz's death set off a large manhunt, with hundreds of officers searching houses, cabins and even boats on area lakes. Helicopters with heat-sensing scanners and K-9 units scoured the area for days. Around 50 suburban Chicago police departments and sheriff's offices assisted, racking up more than $300,000 in overtime and other costs, according to an analysis that the Daily Herald newspaper published in early October.

Authorities said in October that Gliniewicz, 52, was shot with his own weapon. Authorities released only the vague description of three suspects that Gliniewicz had radioed in. They tracked down three men captured on a home security video system, but all were cleared and no one was ever arrested.

Gliniewicz took elaborate steps to try to make it look like he died in a struggle, including shooting himself twice in the torso.

He was struck by two rounds, one that hit his ballistic vest with the force of a "sledgehammer" and another that pierced his upper chest, Lake County Major Crimes Task Force Commander George Filenko said earlier in the investigation.

The officer's death also became part of the national discussion about excessive force by police and he was held up as a hero who died doing his job in a dangerous environment.

An outpouring of grief swept Fox Lake, a community of 10,000 residents located about 50 miles north of Chicago. Signs with the officer's picture hung in storefront windows and flags flew at half-staff in honor of the 30-year police veteran.

The tattooed officer with a shaved head was described by those who knew him as tough when needed, but also as sweet and a role model to youngsters aspiring to go into law enforcement.

More than 100 investigators stayed on the case for weeks, though questions arose in mid-September, and investigators began to concede that they could not rule out suicide or an accident.

One hint came when Lake County Coroner Dr. Thomas Rudd announced that Gliniewicz was killed by a "single devastating" shot to his chest. That prompted an angry response from Filenko, who said the release of such details put "the entire case at risk."

Gliniewicz's family dismissed the suggestion of suicide. His son D.J. Gliniewicz said his father "never once" thought of taking his own life, and described how his dad spoke excitedly about what he planned to do after retiring.

Gliniewicz had four children.
There's a special place in hell for him if true.

Josh-da-man 11-04-15 08:47 PM

^ Holy shit, that's like the plot from a tv show.

DVD Polizei 11-04-15 10:40 PM

Crazy. At least he won't be doing time.

inri222 11-05-15 08:15 AM

Quentin Tarantino responds to controversy - Duration 11:57

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/qu...y-559525443775

Director Quentin Tarantino appears exclusively on 'All In' to clarify his controversial comments about police brutality, which caused police unions around the country to call for a boycott of his new film.

kvrdave 11-05-15 10:10 AM

Remember the two cops who were shot execution style? Turns out that the dude that executed them had asked for directions earlier in the day from a Fed Ex driver. Obviously the Fed Ex driver was not involved. But the apparently that is difficult for some police to understand. And how have the police (allegedly) responded? No different than any other street gang or cartel or mafia would, naturally.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/04/ex-fede...er-directions/

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.co...4&h=441&crop=1

A former FedEx driver plans to sue the city for $10 million after he was allegedly beaten to a pulp by cops furious over the fact that he unwittingly gave directions to the gunman who assassinated two cops last year, his lawyer said Tuesday.

Karim Baker, 26, of Corona, Queens, says he was stopped for minor traffic infractions about 20 times by cops who wrongly blamed him for his accidental role in the execution-style slayings of Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu last year, said his lawyer, Eric Subin.

When Baker finally objected to being questioned outside his car during yet another stop Oct. 20, two undercover cops slammed him to the ground, the lawyer said. They then allegedly delivered a “savage beating” before slapping him with trumped-up charges of resisting arrest, obstruction and parking too close to a fire hydrant.

“It is a particularly bizarre set of facts,” Subin said.

“I cannot really fathom a circumstance where a guy is pulled over 20 times in the span of nine months, never been given a ticket, and then on the heels of that, they beat the hell out of him and put him in the hospital.”

Baker had just finished delivering a package in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn on Dec. 20, 2014, when cop-hater Ismaaiyl Brinsley approached him and asked how to get to the Marcy Houses project, Subin said.

A short time later, Brinsley snuck up on Ramos and Liu as they sat in a marked NYPD cruiser and opened fire without warning, killing them both.

Brinsley then ran to a nearby subway station, where he shot himself to death as cops closed in.

During the NYPD’s investigation of the double cop killing, detectives uncovered surveillance footage that showed Baker and Brinsley’s brief interaction, Subin said.

Cops spent several weeks staking out Baker and barraging him, his relatives, his co-workers and boss with “question after question” about his contact with Brinsley, Subin said.

Then, early this year, Baker started getting pulled over, but never charged, “for the lowest traffic violations imaginable,” such as changing lanes without signaling or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, Subin said.

In addition to the physical injuries, Subin said Baker — whom he called a “remarkably upstanding citizen” with no criminal record — was emotionally traumatized by his beating.

“The guy can barely get through a sentence without breaking down in tears,” Subin said.

An NYPD spokesman said Baker’s claims were “under review, “ adding: “We dispute the allegations and have no information to corroborate these allegations.”
I suppose I just don't understand good police work. :lol:

Pulled over 20 times in 9 months and never given a ticket. Then brutally beaten. Why don't people trust cops? Seem like great guys. Just a little misunderstanding. Didn't mean to put you in the hospital. Thank God it was just a black guy, though. Whew! I don't think they even count in police beating statistics anymore.

Dave99 11-05-15 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12636790)
^ Holy shit, that's like the plot from a tv show.

Even better now, it appears he wanted a gang member to 'put a hit' on the village administrator, because she might find out about the money..

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...police-n458156

Quite a shift in this guys legacy.

JTH182 11-05-15 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12637354)
Even better now, it appears he wanted a gang member to 'put a hit' on the village administrator, because she might find out about the money..

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...police-n458156

Quite a shift in this guys legacy.

I live fairly close to Fox Lake, and new facts are leaking hourly it seems. Trust me, this is going to get A LOT weirder. He had an affair, and then arranged for the woman to marry his son so the son could get more benefits from the military. You can't make this stuff up.

This guy was elevated to superhero status here in early September, even overshadowing another local officer that died in September from injuries he ACTUALLY sustained in the line of duty a year ago. It actually has me very angry.

From the beginning I thought the whole thing was suspicious, but never could have imagined it went this deep.

Lt Ripley 11-05-15 09:31 PM

Awaiting the movie.

DVD Polizei 11-05-15 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 12637081)
Remember the two cops who were shot execution style? Turns out that the dude that executed them had asked for directions earlier in the day from a Fed Ex driver. Obviously the Fed Ex driver was not involved. But the apparently that is difficult for some police to understand. And how have the police (allegedly) responded? No different than any other street gang or cartel or mafia would, naturally.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/04/ex-fede...er-directions/

I suppose I just don't understand good police work. :lol:

Pulled over 20 times in 9 months and never given a ticket. Then brutally beaten. Why don't people trust cops? Seem like great guys. Just a little misunderstanding. Didn't mean to put you in the hospital. Thank God it was just a black guy, though. Whew! I don't think they even count in police beating statistics anymore.

To send a message, I'd say $10 million is not enough. Punish the NYPD with a $1 Billion lawsuit. $999 Million of it punitive. With an award like that, you should have a few less cops running around beating up package delivery people.

Josh-da-man 11-06-15 03:57 AM

Well, this is fucking creepy...

Largest Police Union Cautions Quentin Tarantino: We've Got a Surprise Coming for You

In a veiled threat, the largest police union in the country says it has a "surprise" in store for Quentin Tarantino.

Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, would not go into any detail about what is being cooked up for the Hollywood director, but he did tell THR: "We'll be opportunistic."

"Tarantino has made a good living out of violence and surprise," says Pasco. "Our offices make a living trying to stop violence, but surprise is not out of the question."

The FOP, based in Washington, D.C., consists of more than 330,000 full-time, sworn officers. According to Pasco, the surprise in question is already "in the works," and will be in addition to the standing boycott of Tarantino's films, including his upcoming movie The Hateful Eight.

"Something is in the works, but the element of surprise is the most important element," says Pasco. "Something could happen anytime between now and [the premiere]. And a lot of it is going to be driven by Tarantino, who is nothing if not predictable.

"The right time and place will come up and we'll try to hurt him in the only way that seems to matter to him, and that's economically,"
says Pasco.

When asked if this was a threat, Pasco said no, at least not a physical threat. "Police officers protect people," he says. "They don't go out to hurt people."
(more at link)

Are they planning of harassing and beating him that FedEx driver?

Josh-da-man 11-06-15 03:59 AM

I wasn't planning on seeing "Hateful Eight" in the theater, but I'll go now to support Tarantino and give a big middle finger to New York's swinest.

Baron Of Hell 11-06-15 05:10 AM

Hell I might got twice.

CaptainMarvel 11-06-15 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12637875)
Well, this is fucking creepy...

Largest Police Union Cautions Quentin Tarantino: We've Got a Surprise Coming for You

Are they planning of harassing and beating him that FedEx driver?

If only they had addressed that very issue.

"The right time and place will come up and we'll try to hurt him in the only way that seems to matter to him, and that's economically," says Pasco.

When asked if this was a threat, Pasco said no, at least not a physical threat.
I have no intention of skipping this movie. If I skipped every movie where a star or director was in some way objectionable to me, I wouldn't see many movies at all. And I frankly have no idea why these unions have latched on to Tarantino in particular, when he's hardly the only one in Hollywood who has jumped on the bandwagon, and when the Streisand effect seems like it's in full swing only getting his movie more attention. But in order to make this something sinister or creepy, you have to ignore what was actually said.

Dave99 11-06-15 10:51 AM

Didn't realize they had to publicly announce their intentions to beat someone. Did that fedex guy get the memo?

;)

Draven 11-06-15 10:53 AM

I'm glad the cops clarified that it wasn't a physical threat. It's also telling that they had to clarify.

Sean O'Hara 11-06-15 11:09 AM

They probably figure they can bust Tarantino for drugs and confiscate all his money under civil asset forfeiture laws because his films are clearly the product of intense cocaine use.

DaveNinja 11-06-15 11:10 AM

They're planning on a making Hateful Seven, which will spoil the plot of Hateful Eight, and release it the week before xmas

DVD Polizei 11-06-15 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12638097)
Didn't realize they had to publicly announce their intentions to beat someone. Did that fedex guy get the memo?

;)

It was mailed by the USPS. :(

---

I don't see why Quentin shouldn't want to have his butt kicked. It could lead to some awesome movies of cops beating up innocent civilians, and Quentin could say, for the first time, he had an actual experience of it....versus being a typical sheltered rich stupid fuck, who thinks he can do so much more than make great movies.

Hey Quentin. You can't. You're a great director. I love your movies. Outside of that, you're as dumb and clueless as the gum on the bottom of my shoes.

slop101 11-06-15 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12638129)
Hey Quentin. You can't. You're a great director. I love your movies. Outside of that, you're as dumb and clueless as the gum on the bottom of my shoes.

No, I'd say he's way smarter and more thoughtful than you are.

van der graaf 11-06-15 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12638180)
No, I'd say he's way smarter and more thoughtful than you are.

Anybody with an ability to think would say that.

CaptainMarvel 11-06-15 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by van der graaf (Post 12638290)
Anybody with an ability to think would say that.

Well, since those people are covered, what's your take on it?

inri222 11-06-15 02:36 PM

If not for the video this guy would be screwed.

Dashcam Video Shows Police Lied To Get Innocent Man Convicted, Officers Now Facing Prison Time

"They accused Mr. Jeter of criminal acts that led to him being charged and indicted," assistant prosecutor Berta Rodriguez, who tried the case, said Thursday.
"He was facing five years in prison. But for the dash camera in the second police vehicle, he might be in prison today."

http://www.mintpressnews.com/dashcam...n-time/211054/

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GVaU8qm2LhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>