DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

kvrdave 11-02-15 01:44 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

:lol: Good lord. Just make it part of the constitution that police can rape and engage in sexual misconduct so that you guys can really have a compelling argument about why this is all okay.

kvrdave 11-02-15 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 12634481)
Raises hand. Still not a member of ACMH. Still disagree that automatically being a retard and resisting a cop is a good idea.

I don't think anyone ought to automatically be a retard to cops. I just think that those that do shouldn't be punished with death so much. Or rape. Or unlawful searches. Or anything else that we have made it okay for them to do to us in the name of keeping us safe. Like oral sex that never happens in a rapey way, but only in a manner in which both parties have come to the decision together on the side of the road during a normal stop. I do think the cops should be required to go off the clock during rape, however.

Lt Ripley 11-02-15 01:51 PM

Together on the side of the road, had me giggling.

There is a slogan in there.

inri222 11-02-15 02:16 PM

And the list keeps growing.

Port Authority police union joins Tarantino boycott

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...o_boycott.html

wearetheborg 11-02-15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12634482)
There is no mutual consent in rape.

What is your definition of prostitution?

For me, rape is when the other party is forcing itself, where the force by itself is illegal.

If someone comes to you baseball bat in hands, and threatens to break your legs unless you perform oral sex, that is rape.

However, if a precocious 16 year old californian girl figures out that the Sandpiper hotel you advertise in your REIT brochures is not what it's all hyped up to be, that your company is a deck of cards; comes to you and says that unless you perform oral sex on her, she is going to the authorities; and you do the deed... you cannot claim you were raped by her.

What the corresponding cops did is engage in prostitution, solicit and accept bribes. Not rape.
Still, illegal and they should have been prosecuted.

Cusm 11-02-15 03:32 PM

OMFG! If the sex is not consentual on one party's part it is rape. Any threat, violent or non violent (blackmail, get out of trouble, etc) is still fucking rape.

Sean O'Hara 11-02-15 04:01 PM

I am utterly, utterly shocked that the same people who constantly justify police brutality also believe that anything less than putting a gun to a woman's head isn't rape.

http://www.micksilva.com/wp-content/...ocked-face.jpg

rw2516 11-02-15 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 12634705)
I am utterly, utterly shocked that the same people who constantly justify police brutality also believe that anything less than putting a gun to a woman's head isn't rape.

While I agree with this. There is an argument to be made about consent. If a cop catches a woman doing 60 in a 40 and gives her the option of a ticket or giving head she has a choice. Since she's guilty, if she chooses the blow job could that be interpreted as consent? She has the option of taking the ticket instead. That seems more like blackmail.
As opposed to a cop threatening to frame you for something you didn't do unless you had sex with him/her.
If someone applies for a job and a condition of getting the job is to have sex with the interviewer, is that rape? You can just walk away. I'm sure it violates some law(s) but is it legal rape?

wearetheborg 11-02-15 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 12634705)

And I'm utterly, utterly shocked that some people here believe it are only women who are and can be made to have sex by people in power by coercion.

inri222 11-02-15 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 12634719)
If a cop catches a woman doing 60 in a 40 and gives her the option of a ticket or giving head she has a choice. Since she's guilty, if she chooses the blow job could that be interpreted as consent? She has the option of taking the ticket instead.

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 12634719)
If someone applies for a job and a condition of getting the job is to have sex with the interviewer, is that rape? You can just walk away. I'm sure it violates some law(s) but is it legal rape?

It's pretty obvious that they fall under some kind of sexual harassment and/or assault.

inri222 11-03-15 12:44 PM

Deadbeat dad pissed at his son's success goes on Hannity.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j--u85CU6y4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slop101 11-03-15 12:53 PM

He's obviously not protesting against all cops, but against bad cops. Jesus, people are fucking stupid.

JimRochester 11-03-15 03:35 PM

We had another around here that was a little different. Most of our stories involve the police treating the public poorly. This one is the opposite. A Livingston County Sheriff has been fired after it was found he was bringing in contraband for the prisoners. The prisoners were telling him where to buy the drugs and he would go secure it and bring them in. A jailhouse snitch advised the higher ups and they conducted an investigation and sting which went poorly for the officer. He is now residing with the fellows he was supposed to be guarding.

Not worth starting a new thread but thought I'd pass along this little tidbit about the lowlife adults from Halloween.

As most of you know I do volunteer work for the town. We were out on Halloween in the cars handing out candy and keeping an eye on things. It's supposed to be keeping the big kids from stealing little kids candy, stuff like that. Unfortunately it was the adults who were acting badly.

Incident 1: guy is asking kids where they live. People are suspicious so they call the police. He said he didn't want to give candy out to kids who didn't live on his street. They aren't sure of he's a pedophile or just a jerkwad.

Incident 2: guy starts swearing at the older kids telling them they are too old to T or T. If they dress up and are polite should it matter if they are a little older? When my kids were little it was very uncool for a 13 year old to go out. It was little kid stuff. Now high schoolers and college kids love Halloween.

Third and worst: Guys yells out racial slurs. Cop shows up and the guy says "I can't believe you're defending the ni&&ers". He was given the choice of giving out candy and shutting up. Close the door and turn out the lights. Or get arrested on various harassment and disorderly conduct charges. He chose to close the door. Stay classy San Diego, ya douche bag. What an asshat.

cungar 11-03-15 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12634584)
And the list keeps growing.

Port Authority police union joins Tarantino boycott

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...o_boycott.html

I'm sure his career will survive this boycott. His films traditionally make way more money overseas anyway.

Django Unchained

Domestic Box Office $162,805,434
International Box Office $262,568,254
Worldwide Box Office $425,373,688

wearetheborg 11-03-15 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 12635508)
Third and worst: Guys yells out racial slurs. Cop shows up and the guy says "I can't believe you're defending the ni&&ers". He was given the choice of giving out candy and shutting up. Close the door and turn out the lights. Or get arrested on various harassment and disorderly conduct charges. He chose to close the door. Stay classy San Diego, ya douche bag. What an asshat.

A douche bag for sure, but legally is it any business of the men with guns if the dude yells out racial slurs from his home?

DVD Polizei 11-03-15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 12634668)
OMFG! If the sex is not consentual on one party's part it is rape. Any threat, violent or non violent (blackmail, get out of trouble, etc) is still fucking rape.

What is the legal definition of rape.

Shannon Nutt 11-03-15 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 12635529)
I'm sure his career will survive this boycott. His films traditionally make way more money overseas anyway.

Django Unchained

Domestic Box Office $162,805,434
International Box Office $262,568,254
Worldwide Box Office $425,373,688

Yeah, his movies make money overseas, but they're made by AMERICAN studios who certainly don't want the bad publicity. I wonder if HATEFUL 8 will be QT's last movie with the Weinsteins...Bob isn't too happy with him right now.

DVD Polizei 11-03-15 05:30 PM

The Weinstein Bros. will more than likely have another nice talk with QT. They will inform him of the reality of film financing, and who really has the balls in the film industry. It isn't the fucking director. It's guy in the shadows, backing your film. They can make it where QT will have a very tough time finding another company to back his violent movies (of which, I actually like). Tarantino is a powerful man, but he needs to take a serious look at the film industry and realize he didn't get there by his awesome good looks or screenwriting. It was the people financing his insane scripts which put it out into the public eye.

Quentin,

You're a very eccentric and entertaining writer and director.

Stick with the shit you know something about.

- DVD P

Cusm 11-03-15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12635584)
What is the legal definition of rape.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/rape

It varies by state but pretty much lack of consent seems to be the main factor in defining. If you give someone the option of having sex or a very negative consequence (violence, jail, job, etc) there is no consent and it is rape. Women are often told during a violent sexual assault not to fight, this does not mean she is consenting.

CaptainMarvel 11-03-15 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 12635629)
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/rape

It varies by state but pretty much lack of consent seems to be the main factor in defining. If you give someone the option of having sex or a very negative consequence (violence, jail, job, etc) there is no consent and it is rape. Women are often told during a violent sexual assault not to fight, this does not mean she is consenting.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with your definition there. It seems like it's blurring the line between sexual harassment and rape when you throw "loss of job" in there. Are you suggesting that if an employer says, "sleep with me or I'll fire you," that it's rape (in the criminal sense, not colloquial)?

I know that's not considered rape here, but I'm curious if you can show me an example of where it was prosecuted as rape.

Psi 11-03-15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12635665)
I'm not entirely sure I agree with your definition there. It seems like it's blurring the line between sexual harassment and rape when you throw "loss of job" in there. Are you suggesting that if an employer says, "sleep with me or I'll fire you," that it's rape (in the criminal sense, not colloquial)?

I assume Cusm is talking about a case where the woman gives in and the sex does occur. That's an interesting view that I probably don't agree with. I have always associated rape with physical coercion.

Mr. Salty 11-03-15 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12635606)
I wonder if HATEFUL 8 will be QT's last movie with the Weinsteins...Bob isn't too happy with him right now.

No, it won't. Tarantino is the only filmmaker reliably making them money anymore.

Artman 11-04-15 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12635365)
He's obviously not protesting against all cops, but against bad cops.

Did he say that? Did he come even close to saying that?

slop101 11-04-15 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 12635949)
Did he say that? Did he come even close to saying that?

Does he have to? Seriously, who would be dumb enough to think someone's protesting against all cops? Even acknowledging such an obvious thing is fucking stupid.

inri222 11-04-15 08:23 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2422355

Quentin Tarantino stands by police brutality comments amid backlash from officers: ‘I’m not a cop hater’

Defiant director Quentin Tarantino is standing by the lines he delivered last month at a New York rally condemning police brutality. Speaking to the Los Angeles Times, the filmmaker said he’s been misrepresented and demonized to deflect attention from the real issues. "All cops are not murderers," Tarantino told the newspaper Tuesday as he broke his silence over his Oct. 24 comments. "I never said that. I never even implied that.” He said it was “pretty obvious” the firestorm of controversy was actually a smoke screen.

"Instead of dealing with the incidents of police brutality that those people were bringing up, instead of examining the problem of police brutality in this country, better they single me out,” he said. He said people calling for a boycott of his movies were “very clear” with their intent. “It’s to shut me down. It’s to discredit me. It is to intimidate me. It is to shut my mouth, and even more important than that, it is to send a message out to any other prominent person that might feel the need to join that side of the argument,” he told The Times.

The “Pulp Fiction” director said he refused to be intimidated. "Frankly, it feels lousy to have a bunch of police mouthpieces call me a cop hater. I'm not a cop hater.” He said he felt slandered and would not back down because he told "the truth." “I'm used to being misunderstood. What I'd like to think (is that) their attack against me is so vicious that they're revealing themselves. They're hiding in plain sight,” he said.

His estranged dad Tony Tarantino said Tuesday he wished the director would “go further.” “He should come out a whole lot stronger,” Tony, 75, told The News in a phone interview. “He should go on to say what a great job the rest of our cops are doing. And he needs to back up his words with his wallet and make a decent donation to the NYPD Patrolmen's Benevolent Association to help out officers injured on duty.” The dad suggested a “substantial” donation in the neighborhood of $1 million. “That would make him a hero, his movie would be un-boycotted and it’s a tax deduction to boot. He’s so big and so important, it would really help,” Tony said.

At the protest last month in Washington Square Park, the 52-year-old director urged the crowd to “rise up” in the face of alleged police misconduct. "I am a human being with a conscience," he said. "And when I see murder, I cannot stand by. And I have to call the murdered the murdered, and I have to call the murderers the murderers.” He faced immediate backlash from police unions in New York, Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago and Philadelphia and calls for a boycott of his upcoming movie “The Hateful Eight,” due out Christmas day.

Actor Jamie Foxx defended Tarantino at an awards show in Beverly Hills Sunday. Speaking from the stage, Foxx urged his “Django Unchained” director to "keep telling the truth, keep speaking the truth and don't worry about none of the haters.”

Actor Kurt Russell stars in “The Hateful Eight” and said at the same event that he supported police and believed Tarantino did too. “We all have a tremendous respect for what police do every day, putting their lives on the line, OK? And I know Quentin feels that way too,” Russell said, according to the Associated Press. “Now when it comes to his comments on policemen, that’s his to comment on,” Russell continued. “You don’t have to agree every time with everybody to like working together.”