Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 09-01-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
The unedited video is out now, and I'm not sure anyone can defend this one. Guy is motionless, shirtless, hands above his head for 3 seconds, and then just gets waxed.

http://www.ksat.com/news/ksatcom-exc...olved-shooting
#copslivesmattermorethanyours

That is fucking horrible.
Old 09-02-15, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The unedited video is out now, and I'm not sure anyone can defend this one. Guy is motionless, shirtless, hands above his head for 3 seconds, and then just gets waxed.

http://www.ksat.com/news/ksatcom-exc...olved-shooting
You can only see one arm up as the pole is obstructing the other arm which is holding an M16 aimed directly at the cops
Old 09-02-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The cops must have realized they were in a Die Hard situation and the guy had a gun taped to his back. That's why his hands were up...he was about to go for it. They just had to take the shot.
Old 09-02-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Alabama cop Eric Sloan Parker goes on trial for assault on Sureshbhai Patel

An Alabama police officer goes on trial Tuesday to face federal charges of using excessive force after he brutalized an elderly Indian man unprovoked, partially paralyzing the victim in the process.

http://www.americanbazaaronline.com/...eshbhai-patel/
Old 09-02-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The cops must have realized they were in a Die Hard situation and the guy had a gun taped to his back. That's why his hands were up...he was about to go for it. They just had to take the shot.
Reminds me of some police training I took part in. I was playing the bad guy sitting in the back seat during a mock traffic stop. I had my hands raised, but I had pistol wedged between my head and the car roof. As soon as the officer started talking to the driver, I popped him.
Old 09-02-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Georgia cops respond to wrong home during a burglary call. Shot the innocent homeowner, killed the homeowners dog, and also shot a fellow cop.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/01...d-likely-shot/

No word yet on if this officer was simply shooting anything that moved.
The brother of the guy who called 911 posted what his brother had sent him. Interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/commen..._house/cumz8uk

9 hrs · Atlanta, GA · Shaking trying to type this right now. I was out walking my dog Diego. I live on a dead end street, walking towards the cul-de-sac. There is a man a ways in front of me (saw him walk into the neighborhood) that walks to the farthest house at the end of the street, knocks on the front door, and then kind of just stands in the front yard for a few mins. Seems a little sketch considering I have seen the house owner before and it was't him and there have been several reported break-ins down that way. I gave him the benefit of the doubt however (maybe he walked to the store, locked out, etc) and turned around and started walking back towards my house. Diego stops to sniff something and I turn around and now the guy is nowhere to be seen. I then hear a loud sound and then dogs barking. I stand around a second and don't see anyone come out. Kind of concerned at this point I call 911 and describe the house at the end of the cul-de-sac as well as the 50 year old black male and what he was wearing. I also told them that I wasn't sure anything was actually going on, and I wasn't trying to get anyone in trouble, but I felt like something wasn't right. A few minutes later I am getting back to the house (opposite the cul-de-sac, towards the entrance of our street) in front of my front door, when I heard 5 or 6 gunshots very close by and heard a woman screaming. Turned around and saw blue police lights already flashing and people yelling. I fumbled my keys and went inside, terrified. About a min or two later I peek my head outside and see one of my neighbors about 3 houses down (opposite direction from my walk) holding his leg and yelling something to the effect of "You killed my dog!" and "You shot me in my own house! Meanwhile the wife of the man was clutching their one year old child, hysterically walking down the street to a neighbors house. More cops come in, shotguns blazing. Cops running everywhere at this point. Meanwhile the wife is crying and telling the neighbors across from me what had happened. The frantic young wife was obviously furious and scared as she described cops coming in their back door and shooting her husband and shooting and killing their dog. An officer stayed with the man (white, young 30s) while he was still up the street in his own driveway, clutching his leg where he had been shot by the officer. According to neighbors during the chaos, an officer accidentally shot another officer. Both were taken away from the scene in an ambulance. I was later interviewed by a detective and provided them my full testimony since my 911 call was the call that the police were responding to. the Associated Press who requested to talk to me on the phone. (They were able to reach me because Ronnie my girlfriend was not able to get home after work and was talking to me on the phone outside of the neighborhood and the reporter asked to talk to me.) I did this because already on the news they were spinning the story. There was a report of a "manhunt" and a search for a "suspect". The "suspect" (or at least the suspicious person I called the cops on at the other end of the neighborhood) came walking back up to the crime scene shortly after. After speaking to him I realized that he was the person I had seen and he said he was trying to get someone to pay him for cutting their grass. I feel awful because I explicitly said on the 911 call that I was unsure if anything was actually going on but I had a bad feeling after hearing the loud noise and dogs barking, especially with all the recent break-ins. The cops actually never interviewed him (which at that point I don't think it mattered because it seemed pretty clear he hadn't stolen something or done anything wrong and walked up the street to a crime scene to talk about it). I am writing this partly as catharsis because I feel terrible that this all happened as a result. I'm also writing this because the news and media are already spinning this story to say that a police officer was shot in the line of duty while responding to a burglary call. While I give them credit for owning up to the fact that it was the wrong house (albeit presumably after I had given testimony to Associated Press), what they fail to highlight in this clickbait link is that this man who was sitting in his own house watching a movie with his wife was shot in the leg and his dog was murdered in his own house with his new baby in the house. The story is not "Let's all feel sympathetic for the cop that just killed a family's dog and and shot the unarmed homeowner in his own home." I want to say first off that I know a cops job is very hard and I respect the job and the men and women serving when they do it the right way. This was NOT the right way. I explicitly said a house at the end of the cul-de-sac yet the media said the house "matched the description". I never even gave them an address. If you hear news telling you different they are manipulating the story.
Poor police officer shot by his partner. I say that's the real story. Not the traumatized homeowner, not the homeowner who was shot after they got the wrong address, not the dog that was murdered, but the cop who was shot by his partner. I mean, we aren't talking about keystone cops, they are real people! And that's far more important than anyone they shot and traumatized, because #copslivesmatter
Old 09-02-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Poor police officer shot by his partner. I say that's the real story. Not the traumatized homeowner, not the homeowner who was shot after they got the wrong address, not the dog that was murdered, but the cop who was shot by his partner. I mean, we aren't talking about keystone cops, they are real people! And that's far more important than anyone they shot and traumatized, because #copslivesmatter

Could you please post all the stories treating this as a "poor police officer" story, as opposed to a "cops fucked up" story?

Because the articles I've read, including on police websites, have been pretty much uniformly critical. Even the comments by verified LEOs were 100% condemning this.
Old 09-02-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
The brother of the guy who called 911 posted what his brother had sent him. Interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/commen..._house/cumz8uk

No it isn't. The real story is the way the media spins EVERYTHING to get the maximum outrage going. People have to realize that all the news outlets are suspect and not to be trusted.
Old 09-02-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
No it isn't. The real story is the way the media spins EVERYTHING to get the maximum outrage going. People have to realize that all the news outlets are suspect and not to be trusted.
And this goes for news outlets that cater to people on both sides of the political spectrum. The problem is that people are stupid. If it was more profitable to cater to smart people, that's what we'd get. Improve the education system in this country and you'd see a chain reaction of things improving in all aspects of life.
Old 09-02-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
And this goes for news outlets that cater to people on both sides of the political spectrum. The problem is that people are stupid. If it was more profitable to cater to smart people, that's what we'd get. Improve the education system in this country and you'd see a chain reaction of things improving in all aspects of life.
Stupidity and inept behavior is mostly voluntary and has a 4-year college degree attached to it.

The dangerous problem we have today is denying the truth because it disturbs the foundation we have built our lives on.

It's not about being smarter.

It's about being a leader where few want to go. It's about courage. A relentless persistence of getting the truth to viewers. Even if it means lower ratings.

Our media industry is far from this.
Old 09-02-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post

Could you please post all the stories treating this as a "poor police officer" story, as opposed to a "cops fucked up" story?

Because the articles I've read, including on police websites, have been pretty much uniformly critical. Even the comments by verified LEOs were 100% condemning this.
I didn't say there were stories like that. I was mocking just how fucked up this one is.
Old 09-03-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...civil-lawsuit/
Man arrested for parodying mayor on Twitter gets $125K in civil lawsuit

An Illinois man arrested when his residence was raided for parodying his town's mayor on Twitter is settling a civil rights lawsuit with the city of Peoria for $125,000. The accord spells out that the local authorities are not to prosecute people for parodies or satire.

Plaintiff Jon Daniel, the operator of the @peoriamayor handle, was initially accused last year of impersonating a public official in violation of Illinois law. However, the 30-year-old was never charged. His arrest was kicked off after the local mayor, Jim Ardis, was concerned that the tweets in that account falsely portrayed him as a drug abuser who associates with prostitutes. One tweet Ardis was concerned about said, "Who stole my crackpipe?"

As part of the agreement, (PDF) which includes legal fees, his attorneys from the American Civil Liberties Union said Peoria will publish a "directive" to the police department making it clear that Illinois law criminalizing impersonation of a public official does not include parody and satire.

"The directive makes clear that parody should never be the predicate for a criminal investigation and that the action against Mr. Daniel should never be repeated again," Karen Sheley, an ACLU attorney, said in a statement.

Daniel said he never "dreamed" that he would be arrested for his fake Twitter account.

"I am satisfied with the outcome in this case," Daniel said in a statement. "I always thought that the twitter account was a joke for me and for my friends."

As we previously reported, the city had defended the arrest:
In its first response to the lawsuit, the city of Peoria's and Mayor Jim Ardis' attorney told Ars that the mayor and city officials believed Daniel was breaching an Illinois law making it illegal to impersonate a public official. The mayor's attorney said city officials got a judge to issue warrants from Twitter and Comcast to track down Daniel. In short, they were just following the law.

"We took every step in accordance with the law. They appropriately went to the court to obtain warrants. The court reviewed the statute and evidence and made a determination," attorney James Sotos said in a telephone interview. "In the end, that's a judge's determination to issue a warrant or not. It's not unreasonable that a person would look at that statute to see if there was a violation."
This really isn't a case of bad police, but didn't want to start a new thread. My main thinking is, "is it really that easy to get a warrant?" I mean, does the judge that issues the warrant not think about how this is obvious parody, etc.? At what point does a judge not issue a warrant in cases like these? Whatever the answers are, it is at least refreshing to see that the correct outcome came about.
Old 09-03-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why doesn't the city initiate a libel/defamation civil suit. Then the impersonator can laugh as his paychecks are garnished.

No warrants needed.

Much more painful.
Old 09-03-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Why doesn't the city initiate a libel/defamation civil suit. Then the impersonator can laugh as his paychecks are garnished.

No warrants needed.

Much more painful.
Fortunately for him parody cases have a precident through the Supreme Court and if they tried this, I'm sure the guy would win another case against the city.
Old 09-03-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

http://journalstar.com/news/local/fa...44e52db2b.html

I'd say there isn't enough information yet on this, but it is a very good reason for officers to have body cams. What I find amusing is the chief.

Family wants officer fired for killing their dog

Wilber Police Chief Stephen Sunday, Mayor Roger Chrans and City Attorney Tad Eickman declined to comment on the case.
----------------------------------
When Sunday was asked about the Wilber Police Department’s policy on use of deadly force and discharging a firearm within the city, he declined to answer and hung up the phone
Old 09-04-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad this guy won't be doing anymore policing

Cop who claimed he was targeted by gunman fabricated story, police say

Massive manhunt launched after Millis officer reports shooting

http://www.wcvb.com/news/millis-scho...inues/35077538
Old 09-04-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Second time this officer, who's now in hot water, has shot and killed an unarmed man

Virginia police officer charged with first-degree murder in teen’s shooting death

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2348220
Old 09-05-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think we've mentioned the NYPD shooting accuracy before (partly due to it's very heavy trigger to prevent negligent discharges, because nypd was shooting themselves or suspects without meaning to, and partly because they rarely train and some of them are just lousy shots), but they might have set a new record this time.

84 shots - 1 hit.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...ice/ar-AAdWWsv
Old 09-05-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think we've mentioned the NYPD shooting accuracy before (partly due to it's very heavy trigger to prevent negligent discharges, because nypd was shooting themselves or suspects without meaning to, and partly because they rarely train and some of them are just lousy shots), but they might have set a new record this time.

84 shots - 1 hit.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...ice/ar-AAdWWsv
NYPD's firearms issues are an absolute clusterfuck. Here's an AMA an NYPD member did on them a few years back ( https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/commen...egarding_12lb/ ):

I'm posting this here instead of politics or AMA because I'd rather talk about gun side of things because I want to answer and discuss issues
NYPD officer here to answer any questions. Here are some facts:
•Every officer hired since the introduction of pistols in the NYPD back in the early nineties is NOT allowed to use a revolver as their service weapon. They must choose between a Glock 19, S&W 5946, or a Sig p226. All of these guns are in DAO variant and have NO external safety.
•Everyone who is allowed to carry a gun in the department (not everyone is) has to re-qualify once every six months (give or take, it's been as short as five and as long as nine sometimes).
•MOST NYPD officers fire their FIRST gun, ever in their entire lives, at the police academy, some as young as 21 to as old as 35 shooting for their very first time, and on a DAO pistol.
•The qualifications are HORRIBLE mad get dumbed down every year.
•The NYPD offers once a month training for members to use, on their own time. However, all that is done during these sessions are the same basic dumbed down qualification exercises. You will only receive real help if you outright fail. Missed 12 out of fifty @ 7 yards? GOOD ENOUGH!

•Our tactical training is a joke and maybe ten people in a department of 34K have had Active Shooter training (I'm not exaggerating).
There is a lot broken, basically.
Some of our members NEVER take their service weapons out of their gun belts, and never carry ANYTHING off duty. I've seen people with 3 years on have brown rusted rear sights. Some never clean their weapons unless forced to by the firearms unit.
The NYPD has been tight fisted with ammo for the longest time. Take your one box and be happy.

I'll answer any questions you guys have.
PS: Our holsters are shit also.
EDIT: Replaced DOA with DAO
EDIT: It's true, twelve pins trigger springs suck
EDIT: We at only allowed Gen3 Glocks.
UPDATE: Guys I'll be back tomorrow morning and I might send the verification to HCE.
Verification Update: I'm not sending any pictures of anything. The purpose of this throwaway is just to answer any questions you all might have. I'm sorry but that's the way it will be. I will probably keep answering until the end of the week, then I will delete this account or let the mods archive it if they want. My job has a zero tolerance policy on officers making it look bad online.
Air Marshals have a stringent firearms training, in part because if you're going to fire in a place that's heavily packed with people, you need to be especially proficient. NYPD has apparently taken the opposite view.
Old 09-05-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 1 box of ammo kills me. I'll go though 2 or 3 boxes of 9mm in a quick range session over lunch or 5+ when out with friends.

It get it can be expensive obviously, but if they avoided even just 1 lawsuit from a civilian hit by mistake, they'd probably be able to let these guys shoot as much as they wanted. Although I'm guessing for a lot of them, since it's on their own time, they don't go.
Old 09-05-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last time I went to the range, the range master gave me a freaking ammo can full of rounds. I've still got about 1/3 of those left.
Old 09-06-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not all cops behave badly. Some are quite awesome!

Photo of Chicago Cop Buying Chipotle for Homeless Man Goes Viral

The Chicago Police Department saw the photo on Facebook when it went viral and recognized the officer as Sergeant B. Hagarty, a 35-year veteran of the force

A photo circulating on social media that shows a veteran Chicago police officer buying Chipotle for a homeless man has gone viral, leading to a lengthy Facebook post from the Chicago Police Department thanking the officer for "leading by example."

The photo was originally posted by a woman named Rachel Mitchell, who saw the encounter at the Chipotle restaurant located at 1025 W. Belmont in Lakeview. The Chicago Police Department has since shared the story, and their own post has been shared nearly 4,000 times in just over 12 hours. Additionally, more than 10,000 people "like" the post.

Chicago Police Department
Government Organization · 83,318 Likes · September 4 at 11:13pm ·

019th District Town Hall – Sergeant Hagarty
Leading by Example

A quote posted on social media, Facebook…

Rachel Mitchell – "So today I saw something that made my day. This Chicago Police officer was sitting at a window seat at Chipotle, outside the window he saw a homeless man digging through the trash. The cop knocked on the window, getting the homeless man’s attention. Through the glass he asked the man if he was hungry. The man nodded yes, and the cop motioned for him to come inside. The cop told him to set what belongings he had next to him and told him to order what he wanted because he would pay for it. They stood in line together and at the end the cop paid for the man’s meal. A simple hand shake was exchanged between them and they parted ways like it was no big deal. Touched my heart so much, with all the (crap) police are getting these days it reminds me there’s so much more good out there than anyone ever wants to give credit. If everyone did something simple like this every day the world would be a better place.”

So… we spoke to a 019th District Town Hall Sergeant, B. Hagarty who has 35 years on the job, is a lifelong Chicagoan, working as a Sector Sergeant on the day shift. We asked him if he knew he was in a story on social media. He reluctantly said yes, a few friends had sent him the photos. He was not aware that someone had captured the moment, a break in his day as he was finishing his lunch, while at work just yesterday. He didn’t know the written story that had been posted on Facebook and re-posted by the Country Music Station Big 95.5 Chicago. We read the story posted originally by Rachel Mitchell to the Sergeant. He said yes, that’s exactly what happened…

He was at the Chipotle , 1025 W. Belmont, eating by himself. He saw a young man “dumpster diving” so he motioned for him to come in. He then reluctantly said, you know the rest. He did not think he had done anything out of the ordinary. He did not want to brag about what he had done. As he walked out a young lady approached him and told him that he had made her day. Sergeant Hagarty said thank you and walked out. Sergeant Hagarty thinks that might be who posted his pics on fb. If that is you…thank you…Sergeant Hagarty will retire before the end of the year and will be missed.

Sergeant Hagarty we thank you for leading the Chicago Police Department by example.
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...324761531.html

I will say that's a very nice part of Chicago, about as far from "the hood" as you can get. Still, it's a very nice story (for the record, the cop was white and the homeless dude was black).
Old 09-06-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Police Fire 84 Shots At Man And Miss 83 Times

Being a cop is not an easy job. We know this. But there are still some aspects to it that should not be that difficult to execute. Like, for instance, shooting a suspect. It should not take 84 attempts to hit a target. And yet, that’s exactly what happened last Friday when NYPD officers got in a gun fight with an attempted murder suspect in Bushwick. As the Huffington Post reports, out of the 84 shots fired at the man, only one actually hit him.

Early that morning, 27-year-old Jerrol Harris ran from the cops after attempting to steal a Brooklyn man’s car and shooting him in the arm. Police chased Harris who fired at them with a black .40-caliber Taurus Millennium pistol, according to The New York Times. After 84 shots fired by six different police officers, Harris was finally struck in the calf and brought down. Harris has 12 prior arrests, including four robberies and gun possession. He’s facing several counts of first-degree and second-degree attempted murder, as well as other felony charges.

Meanwhile, the NYPD should consider beefing up their target practice lessons.

Continue Reading On Complex

Picture of the police squad that fired:

Old 09-06-15, 10:40 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Not all cops behave badly. Some are quite awesome!
Thread crapper!
Old 09-08-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And now for something completely different.....

Oregon police chief resigns after two officers file complaints of racism

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...plaints-racism

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.