Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 08-31-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I saw that.

Any objection to the police department having to pay the defendant's attorney fees if they lose? And I mean, coming directly out of their budget. Seems like it may take some skin in the game before the police start to think twice about taking free money for the department.
They absolutely should. This shouldn't cost this guy a dime. Again, why can't I carry my money around however I want to?
Old 08-31-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw that.

Any objection to the police department having to pay the defendant's attorney fees if they lose? And I mean, coming directly out of their budget. Seems like it may take some skin in the game before the police start to think twice about taking free money for the department.
I kind of suspect the department will win on appeal, because the judge's rationale about why the second stop was bad isn't terribly convincing.

But I don't really care who pays. I'm actually not opposed to departments paying costs when they lose this sort of case. It would cut down on abusive or questionable cases.
Old 08-31-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Seems like I posted a different story (or simply read one) where that had been done before. Seems like the big problem was calling ahead to get someone else to pull them over when there was no reason to pull them over again. Had to do with some police website where they would talk about those kinds of things, like "Hey, if you see a motor home with license ###AAA pull it over and search it, I think there's money there" type things. It was the call from one cop to another that was the problem. Might have even been a 5th amendment thing because it was obvious that the second stops were for bullshit reasons. Not that going to slow in an intersection isn't a bullshit reason to begin with.

Hopefully this entire civil seizure thing dies with the war on drugs.
Old 08-31-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
They absolutely should. This shouldn't cost this guy a dime. Again, why can't I carry my money around however I want to?
Because drugs are bad and you can't prove that the money hasn't been used for drugs. Land of the free, and all that.
Old 08-31-15, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not that going to slow in an intersection isn't a bullshit reason to begin with.

Hopefully this entire civil seizure thing dies with the war on drugs.
That's like the 4th time you've said this. He was pulled over for driving too slow on the INTERSTATE. That is in fact a danger and traffic hazard.
Old 08-31-15, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
That's like the 4th time you've said this. He was pulled over for driving too slow on the INTERSTATE. That is in fact a danger and traffic hazard.
And the fine for that is $167k?
Old 08-31-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe that's including court processing fees.
Old 08-31-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Maybe that's including court processing fees.
And 2 tickets to the policeman's ball.
Old 08-31-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

does it say how slowly he was going? Seems like I've seen minimum speed signs on the highway, but they are usually something ridiculous like 40 in a 65 zone.
Old 08-31-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am merely correcting a mistake by a poster. I am offering no opinion as to the seizure.
Old 09-01-15, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Based on this video it does not look good, maybe the second video will clarify the situation.

Fatal deputy-involved shooting
Bexar deputies shot, killed man while responding to disturbance call

http://www.ksat.com/news/exclusive-v...olved-shooting
The unedited video is out now, and I'm not sure anyone can defend this one. Guy is motionless, shirtless, hands above his head for 3 seconds, and then just gets waxed.

http://www.ksat.com/news/ksatcom-exc...olved-shooting
Old 09-01-15, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
The unedited video is out now, and I'm not sure anyone can defend this one. Guy is motionless, shirtless, hands above his head for 3 seconds, and then just gets waxed.

Yes but he was glaring. Don't you know you can't glare at police? He shouldn't have glared.
Old 09-01-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmmmmm, I wonder what would have happened if no one had been filming?
Old 09-01-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Dyslexics UNTIE!

Sorry about that. Sometimes I see a word and it will remain a mistaken word throughout the story and I never notice.
Old 09-01-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk God

does it say how slowly he was going? Seems like I've seen minimum speed signs on the highway, but they are usually something ridiculous like 40 in a 65 zone.
I've seen them in Utah, I think, but I can't find anything for a minimum speed limit in Nevada. Just slow enough that you might have enough money to make it worth their time to steal, I say.
Old 09-01-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Georgia cops respond to wrong home during a burglary call. Shot the innocent homeowner, killed the homeowners dog, and also shot a fellow cop.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/01...d-likely-shot/

No word yet on if this officer was simply shooting anything that moved.
Old 09-01-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, bad cops, bad prosecutor, and a good judge. Mainly this is just to show the wonders of civil seizure and what a load of shit it is.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/20...-judges-order/

So first cop sees a guy in a motor home that is up to no good and gets him pulled over for the heinous crime of driving too slow in an intersection. Holds him up awhile but can't get a dog to come sniff for drugs, so he calls ahead and tells the next people to pull over the motor home and make sure they have a dog. I mean, afte rall, they guy was obviously a criminal because he drove too slow in an intersection. We all understand what kind of monster we're dealing with, right? Dog finds nothing, so they search the place because.....fuck, there are no drugs, but this guy drives slow in intersections, so we know he is up to no good. So while searching they find $167,000 and even though there is no crime, they take it all because it was probably going to be used to make other people drive slowly through intersections. And it has taken him $153,000 to get his money back.

Who the fuck thinks this is okay?
It happens. I can't find the story, but a few years ago a young Mexican couple with a baby driving from Colorado to Mexico was pulled over in four New Mexico jurisdictions before the police could find probable cause to confiscate their money. The police departments just kept calling the next one down the highway with a description of the car. If you think people from out of state are unlikely to appeal, just imagine what a soft target foreign nationals must be.
Old 09-01-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The sheriff from the san antonio shooting is responding to the video. Releasing a video to the public is unethical and sad. So much for transparency I guess. And telling people to call and badger ksat is very professional

Today, members of our local media chose to broadcast online unedited video of a man's death. KSAT 12 paid a neighbor who filmed the tragedy $100 for the exclusive rights to the video. As a result, people from outside our community have bombarded us with inappropriate comments, and today, physical threats toward our deputies. These deputies have not been charged with a crime and a family lost their loved one. This is unethical and sad. Call KSAT and let them know what you think - (210) 351-1277. If you agree, let the local media know this sort of sensational behavior doesn't fly in Bexar County.
Old 09-01-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The sheriff from the san antonio shooting is responding to the video.
Some of the comments supporting the shooting are astounding. Like the guy who shot the video wasn't actually at the scene of the shooting, he was a long way away behind a fence, so that somehow makes the video invalid.
Old 09-01-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Some of the comments supporting the shooting are astounding. Like the guy who shot the video wasn't actually at the scene of the shooting, he was a long way away behind a fence, so that somehow makes the video invalid.
I scrolled through some also, and saw that specific one and just shook my head. And the number of those that basically said that the guy they shot was a scumbag who (allegedly) beat his wife and baby so we should give police the benefit of the doubt and/or he deserved it. Bunch of bloodthirsty savages down there.
Old 09-01-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Yes but he was glaring. Don't you know you can't glare at police? He shouldn't have glared.
You might be right, here's another glaring incident :

Ohio officer in video says 'direct eye contact' one reason he pulled over driver

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/31/us/eye...cer/index.html
Old 09-01-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder how many of his arrests were legit

Wanted police officer barricades, kills self...

Pa. police officer suspected of staging theft to plant evidence for frame-up commits suicide

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pennsylv...kills-himself/
Old 09-01-15, 03:45 PM

I've seen them in Utah, I think, but I can't find anything for a minimum speed limit in Nevada. Just slow enough that you might have enough money to make it worth their time to steal, I say.
Seems there is not a set law across the state, but if there is one it should be posted.

http://www.safemotorist.com/Nevada/Roads/speed.aspx
NRS 484.371 Slow driving; establishment of minimum speed limit.

1. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

2. Whenever a public authority determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, such authority may establish a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

3. Such speed limit shall be in effect after the erection of appropriate signs.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1487)
Old 09-01-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm sure it was a real threat to the road and not just an excuse to pull over someone who might have money. All the officer's actions seem to indicate that.

Old 09-01-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah..wow. But I've never been a Cop so I'm sure it's justified.

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Hmmmmmm, I wonder what would have happened if no one had been filming?
Stand by for numerous links explaining why this was a clean shooting...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.