Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 08-24-15, 03:01 PM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
"Everyone hats a Rat"
I don't get it...

Old 08-24-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
I don't get it...
White folks and white rats will never get it!
Old 08-24-15, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
I don't get it...

Premium privilege...
Old 08-24-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can all bite me.
Old 08-25-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Another fool on candid camera :

Philadelphia police officer to driver: 'You buy these, or I take your car'

http://6abc.com/news/philly-cop-to-d...ur-car/951155/
When are these idiot cops going to realize cameras are everywhere??? So dumb.
Old 08-25-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I've gotten out of this entire thread.....is confused at Giantrobo's seemingly random capitalization.
Old 08-25-15, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
The only thing I've gotten out of this entire thread.....is confused at Giantrobo's seemingly random capitalization.
You can BiTe me too.
Old 08-25-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some people can rock a rat hat.

Old 08-25-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can BiTe me too.
I was only Half kidding. jerk.
Old 08-26-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I was only Half kidding. jerk.
Well...I was totally kidding. I was just trying to lighten up the mood and go along with the pointing out of my typos from you and others. But hey, I guess mild butthurt is contagious....
Old 08-26-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well...I was totally kidding. I was just trying to lighten up the mood and go along with the pointing out of my typos from you and others. But hey, I guess mild butthurt is contagious....
Fine. I was 7/8 kidding.
Old 08-28-15, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is how you fight the war on drugs :

Sex, drugs, and racist policing in Rutland, Vt.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2...cSP/story.html
Old 08-28-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2339973

This one is just laughable with how stupid the cops and lawyers are. Don't worry, we can all agree on this one. They made a stupid mistake and then kept digging the hole they were in.
The cop who busted a Brooklyn electrician for carrying an illegal knife may have been speaking with a forked tongue.

Bernard Perez has a $57,500 settlement from the city to support his argument that he was carrying a utility knife to strip insulation off wiring — not an illegal gravity knife as Officer Justin Delmonico had claimed.

Perez, 48, spent two days in jail and then three follow-up trips to court culminating in a fateful meeting in an assistant district attorney’s office, where Delmonico was asked repeatedly to demonstrate how the knife blade flicked open — and couldn’t.

According to the state Penal Law, a gravity knife is “any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath … by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force.”

After Delmonico’s demonstration gone wrong, the prosecutor told the judge they were sticking a fork in the criminal case.

“We are satisfied that the knife is not in fact a gravity knife,” the prosecutor said, and moved to dismiss the charge against Perez, according to papers filed in Brooklyn Federal Court.

But the prosecutor’s concession was not good enough for city lawyer Jenny Weng, who was fighting Perez's lawsuit.

“The city’s lawyer actually claimed with a straight face that the word ‘is’ doesn’t mean ‘is,’ ” Perez’s lawyer Joel Berger told the Daily News.

“She argued that the cop believed it was a gravity knife at the time he seized it, but it was no longer functioning as a gravity knife at the time of the demonstration in the DA’s office four months later,” Berger said.

The city relented, signing off on the $57,500 deal on Aug. 21.

A Law Department spokesman said the settlement was in the best interest of the city.

Perez’s nightmare began last September when he was pulled over for a broken taillight in East New York, Brooklyn, by Delmonico and his partner Samuel Carey, court papers state.

The cops suspected Perez might be wanted on a warrant, and hauled him into the stationhouse.

When they figured out that the 5-foot-9 motorist was not the 6-foot-3 fugitive, the cop arrested Perez for the “gravity knife.”

Perez said he was stunned.

“I would have accepted an apology at that point, but they put a false charge on me and that hurt,” Perez said Thursday. “I think he just wanted to make an arrest after they found out I did not have a warrant.”

Last month, the city settled another suit involving Delmonico for $120,000 in which he was accused of falsely arresting a man who laughed at the cop after a perpetrator had outrun him, according to lawyer Brett Klein.

The settlement included a second false arrest claim that did not involve Delmonico.
"Laugh at me, will you. I'm a damn cop and you have to respect me. To show you how I earn the respect of people, you are under arrest for laughing at me."

And the knife. "Well, the officer believed it was illegal, so there is no fault on him for not knowing what is legal and what isn't. We can't expect our officers to know the law they are enforcing."

Why has respect for police gone down so much? It's just hard to understand.
Old 08-28-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Posted here because Cops showed restraint and did not shoot her or beat her even when she was a danger on the road, made many sudden moves, and cleeearly reached into her pockets(privilege and benefit of doubt..but i digress )....

Suspected car thief dances during police chase in downtown Los Angeles Video at link.
Spoiler:
Warning to dvdtalk skinny chasers...she's a big girl.
Stuck her fingers in her waist band and her pockets and still in one piece, I'm surprised they didn't buy her Burger King afterwards.
Old 08-28-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Apparently, one police officer is still missing.
Old 08-28-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, police apparently hate the law now. This is a couple of stories that, well, show that the "us vs them" mentality doesn't just apply to actual criminals with the police.

http://sputniknews.com/us/20150826/1026199496.html
A fed up city attorney in Denver has ordered the police to stop arresting people who pass out jury nullification information in front of courthouses.

The order came down on Friday after a lawsuit was filed on behalf of activists who had been arrested while distributing the literature. The activists sued after two were charged with seven counts of jury tampering.

Jury nullification is the right of a jury not to convict someone if they believe that the law is unjust. This means that jurors have the right to judge the laws themselves and not strictly the facts of the case.

Sadly, the vast majority are unfamiliar with this option and it is not covered when they receive their instructions during trials.

The City Attorney Scott Martinez sided with the activists against District Attorney Mitch Morrissey, as they argued that their freedom of speech was being violated by the targeted arrests.

"We agree that the court house steps are a public forum and that people can pass out information, including pamphlets, in accordance with the First Amendment," Martinez told The Denver Post.

Included in the lawsuit filed by the activists was Denver Chief Judge Michael Martinez, who just the day before made a ruling against any demonstrations or handing out of literature on the courthouse property.

In response to one of the arrests, even the Denver Post editorial board published a brave condemnation.

“It is astonishing that Denver police would arrest someone for handing out political literature outside a courthouse.

It’s even more astonishing that prosecutors would charge that person with seven felony counts of jury tampering.

Now, fortunately, civil rights attorney David Lane has filed a lawsuit in federal court on behalf of other jury nullification activists. They want an injunction to stop the city from violating their First Amendment rights should they too wish to pass out literature.

They deserve to get one.” The editorial board wrote.

"Denver agreed that the passing out of jury nullification literature is protected free speech," civil rights attorney David Lane told the Post. "The only opposition I had in court today was the state attorney general."

It is truly strange and incredible to see a city attorney siding with those who are suing the city, and putting up a fight with the district attorney in the name of free speech and what is right.
Ah, but it didn't stop there. http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28...lash-at-denver

A group of activists shouted profanities at Denver police officers Wednesday morning as they removed a tent that had been set up in front of a Denver courthouse.

The clash between the activists and the police came less than 24 hours after a federal judge issued an injunction that trumped a Denver judge's order barring public demonstrations at the Lindsey-Flanigan courthouse.

Within hours of the clash, civil rights attorney David Lane filed a motion in federal court asking the judge to find Denver Police Chief Robert White in contempt of court for violating the injunction.

Lane's motion accused Denver police of confiscating 1,000 jury-nullification pamphlets that the federal judge had approved in his injunction. Police also took a shade tent, a table, four chairs, buckets, a cooler, signs and other items, the motion said.

U.S. District Judge William Martinez granted the injunction Tuesday. Martinez found that the court order that was intended to prevent potential violence after a jury decides whether to sentence Dexter Lewis to death went too far with its restrictions.

The injunction allowed activists to demonstrate and hand out two jury-nullification pamphlets. But it prohibited people from trampling the landscaping, blocking doors, erecting structures or using loudspeakers.

Shortly after 10 a.m., a group of officers approached the activists who had gathered in front of the courthouse and set up a shade tent, table and several chairs. An officer asked the group if they had a permit for the "structure." After several people shouted that they didn't need one, the officers instructed the activists to take it down.

The officers began to lower the tent and warned activists that if they interfered, they would be arrested. Some protesters screamed at the officers, but none were arrested. Officers carried the tent, chairs and other items back to police headquarters.

In the motion filed Wednesday afternoon, Lane called Denver police "jack-booted thugs," who were retaliating against the pamphleteers.

The order also quoted Wendy Shea, an attorney for White, as saying the city had legal authority to remove items restricting movement on sidewalks.

The lawsuit was filed by Lane after two other men were charged with jury tampering. They had set up a booth and distributed jury-nullification pamphlets to potential jurors. The lawsuit named the city, White and Denver District Court Chief Judge Michael Martinez.
Depending on the articles I've read, the judge's order either said no structures or no permanent structures. But forgetting that, you have a federal judge telling police that they can't stop people from handing out pamphlets at the courthouse, and they said "FUCK YOU, WE'LL DO WHATEVER THE FUCK WE WANT!"

Now you may not read it as that, but let's face it, even if they were in the right to remove the tent, they were not in the right to move anything else. Personally, I think everyone needs to be a hell of a lot more educated on jury nullification. It might be the single best way the populace can affect change these days.

Man, I feel safer without pamphlets on the streets of Denver, though.
Old 08-29-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NYPD seems notorious for being poor shots, they are at it again, this time killing a 61 year old bystander when shooting at a suspect.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0QY0JO20150829
Old 08-30-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Depending on the articles I've read, the judge's order either said no structures or no permanent structures.
I believe it's the former, and was implemented/finally enforced during the "Occupy..." movements. People were setting up tents and all sorts of other things around the courthouse.

Like you said though, it's not that it really matters, as that's not the big problem here.
Old 08-30-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Another fool on candid camera :

Philadelphia police officer to driver: 'You buy these, or I take your car'

http://6abc.com/news/philly-cop-to-d...ur-car/951155/
For decades people have been able to get out of citations by buying tickets to the policeman's ball. And this guy ruins it for everyone by getting the officer fired.
Old 08-31-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Based on this video it does not look good, maybe the second video will clarify the situation.

Fatal deputy-involved shooting
Bexar deputies shot, killed man while responding to disturbance call

http://www.ksat.com/news/exclusive-v...olved-shooting
Old 08-31-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cops better hope the 2nd video shows something different, because that one shows murder.
Old 08-31-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
For decades people have been able to get out of citations by buying tickets to the policeman's ball. And this guy ruins it for everyone by getting the officer fired.
For $68 I'd easily rather support a lawyer. Citation gone
Old 08-31-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, bad cops, bad prosecutor, and a good judge. Mainly this is just to show the wonders of civil seizure and what a load of shit it is.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/20...-judges-order/

Feds Who Stole $167,000 in Cash from Innocent Man in Civil Forfeiture Seizure Refusing to Return it Despite Judge’s Order

In perhaps one of the most offensive cases of civil forfeiture, federal prosecutors are fighting to keep $167,000 in cash seized during a traffic stop, despite no crime being committed and a judge ordering it be returned in June.

Straughn Gorman was on a cross country trip to California in his motor home when he was pulled over by a Nevada state trooper for allegedly driving too slow on the interstate.

During the stop, the trooper decided he suspected Gorman was hiding money, but no police dog units were available to come to the scene and help him obtain probable cause for a search.

Refusing to let a little thing like “the law” get in the way of a hunch, the determined trooper requested that the county sheriff’s office stop him again with a police dog.

Gorman was stopped again, approximately 50 minutes later for two alleged traffic violations and searched after a police dog alerted to drugs. No drugs were found in his motor home, but they did find approximately $167,000 stashed throughout it.

The infuriating police video of the forfeiture is below, which had been posted on the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Despite there not being any evidence of a crime – his vehicle, computer, cellphone and the cash, were seized. Apparently keeping your cash instead of throwing it in a bank is a crime.

In June, a judge called out the feds for failing to disclose that the trooper involved in the initial stop had requested he be stopped a second time, as well as the prolonged investigation beyond the simple traffic violations he was allegedly pulled over for.

“The second stop was not based on independent, reasonable suspicion sufficient to justify the prolonged investigation,” wrote District Judge Larry Hicks. “The two stops were for minor traffic violations, and they both were extended beyond the legitimate purposes for such traffic stops.”
Judge Hicks pointed out that the second stop would not have even happened if the first trooper had not provided them with all of the information and alerted them that they needed to find a reason to search the vehicle.

In August, federal attorney’s appealed the judge’s ruling that the money needs to be returned.

The next court hearing on the matter is scheduled for November 19, and it is also expected to be decided whether or not the federal government will have to reimburse Gorman $153,000 for legal fees he has incurred while trying to get his stolen money back.

In January, the Justice Department announced that federal agencies could no longer take property such as cash or vehicles from local law enforcement unless they are “directly related to public safety concerns,” such as firearms and child pornography.
So first cop sees a guy in a motor home that is up to no good and gets him pulled over for the heinous crime of driving too slow in an intersection. Holds him up awhile but can't get a dog to come sniff for drugs, so he calls ahead and tells the next people to pull over the motor home and make sure they have a dog. I mean, afte rall, they guy was obviously a criminal because he drove too slow in an intersection. We all understand what kind of monster we're dealing with, right? Dog finds nothing, so they search the place because.....fuck, there are no drugs, but this guy drives slow in intersections, so we know he is up to no good. So while searching they find $167,000 and even though there is no crime, they take it all because it was probably going to be used to make other people drive slowly through intersections. And it has taken him $153,000 to get his money back.

Who the fuck thinks this is okay?
Old 08-31-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Refusing to Return it Despite Judge’s Order"

... "In August, federal attorney’s appealed the judge’s ruling"
Old 08-31-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I saw that.

Any objection to the police department having to pay the defendant's attorney fees if they lose? And I mean, coming directly out of their budget. Seems like it may take some skin in the game before the police start to think twice about taking free money for the department.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.