Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 08-04-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

That's kind of my point. Serpico was a narcotics detective. The first time he arrested somebody for one of Giantrobo's "BS charges", he would have been a "bad cop" himself.
Old 08-04-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Recall that pot raid on a california dispensary from a few months ago, where the officers were seen mocking a disabled women and eating what appeared to be some of the edible marijuana items on surveillance cameras. They are now suing the city & police department, saying the video violated their right to privacy, in that they thought they had disabled all the cameras, and without the footage of their behavior, there would be no internal investigation into their actions..

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/p...ers-video.html

So instead of just manning up to what they did (I see this urged on the various reality cop shows all the time), they want to bury it..
Old 08-04-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why didn't the officers have cams on their person? Is it just that the city doesn't have them yet, or are certain officers (they say they were undercover) are exempt?
Old 08-04-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Recall that pot raid on a california dispensary from a few months ago, where the officers were seen mocking a disabled women and eating what appeared to be some of the edible marijuana items on surveillance cameras. They are now suing the city & police department, saying the video violated their right to privacy, in that they thought they had disabled all the cameras, and without the footage of their behavior, there would be no internal investigation into their actions..
I thought you were selling the story a little more than reality...but no, that's exactly what the officers are saying!!
Old 08-04-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

...without the footage of their behavior, there would be no internal investigation into their actions..
Happens more often than people think.
Old 08-04-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Twist ... all you want Officer
See, THIS is how you avoid getting shot. Comply, don't complain, and be respectful.

Why can't everyone learn from this?
Old 08-04-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So instead of just manning up to what they did (I see this urged on the various reality cop shows all the time), they want to bury it..
Well, that's infuriating.

They're still toast, as they should be. You can't get a warrant to seize the surveillance equipment inside of a store, then act as if you're surprised there was surveillance equipment. This is just desperate grasping at straws on their parts.
Old 08-04-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chelsea officer allegedly videotaped beating handcuffed man

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...XSM/story.html
Old 08-04-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

That takes some nerve.
Old 08-04-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jdodd View Post
See, THIS is how you avoid getting shot. Comply, don't complain, and be respectful.

Shut up.
Old 08-04-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Happens more often than people think.
Shhhh!!! You can't say that. We'll get a flood of links links showing it's ok because it's 1) the law, 2) his agency's policy, and 3) accepted professional practices too

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-05-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shhhh!!! You can't say that. We'll get a flood links links showing it's ok because it's 1) the law, 2) his agency's policy, and 3) accepted professional practices too
now you've done it, acting in bad faith again and wasting his time.
Old 08-04-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
No, it's not. We're at a low ebb currently, which is the same thing that happened in the early 90's. Same as the 70's. It's cyclical. It will recover, and I'm in favor of reasonable efforts to help it do so more quickly. But there are a certain percentage of looney tunes out there who will never be sated no matter what actions are taken, and I frankly don't give a shit about reconciling with those people. You can't make everybody happy, and it's futile to try to placate those that won't even accept the legitimacy of the law in the first place, or the ones who will generate an excuse for every criminal ("Oh, the guy with the warrants resisted arrest? Must be because of historical fears about police abuse, not because he didn't want to go to jail"), or racists who can't break out of the reflexive equation that "black + police = police wrong" and see each encounter on its own merits.
Just like no one can satisfy Cop fanboys who side with them no matter what shit they do. Hey, it's a wash.

You act like you're talking about a unicorn. Those cops are most of the cops. Do you have any idea how many uses of force there would be if cops were out there "escalating" situations all, or most, or even a substantial minority of the time? Virtually every actual metric out there says that your irrational prejudices are just that.
Yes. I Agree. BUT HEY!!!!!!...I said there were GOOD COPS out there. YOU flipped out and acted like I was saying something strange every time I said this.

That said. FUCK BAD COPS. They rape the trust and the respect of the public. If you can't see the difference then what the fuck ever...

I have no idea why I'm wasting my time with you at this point. There are other people here who can have discussions without acting in bad faith. Like I said previously, I can link studies, and statistics, and case law to refute assertions of actual fact, but I can't do anything to address stubborn irrational prejudices.
Because you love conflict and drama? Just kidding.

But seriously. This thread is about bad cops. You go out of you way to defend cops in general. But... NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT COPS IN GENERAL JUST FOCUSED ON BAD ONES!!!

And being afraid of SOME Cops is NOT an irrational prejudice. HISTORICAL METRICS BACK that it's a reality.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-04-15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that's infuriating.

They're still toast, as they should be. You can't get a warrant to seize the surveillance equipment inside of a store, then act as if you're surprised there was surveillance equipment. This is just desperate grasping at straws on their parts.
Oh they knew there were cameras, they disabled most of them before they started speaking freely. They just didn't find ALL of them. So in essence, they are blaming their own failure for their privacy violations.

It's a bold strategy cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.
Old 08-04-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's kind of my point. Serpico was a narcotics detective. The first time he arrested somebody for one of Giantrobo's "BS charges", he would have been a "bad cop" himself.
I prefer to refer to him as Paco.
Old 08-04-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just like no one can satisfy Cop fanboys who side with them no matter what shit they do. Hey, it's a wash.
Would you like to tally up how many times I've said a cop's behavior was illegal, or legal but still bad? Because I'm pretty sure it's going to be a sum greater than zero. There are quite a few people here who are perpetually one-sided in their opinions, but you can point that finger elsewhere.

Yes. I Agree. BUT HEY!!!!!!...I said there were GOOD COPS out there. YOU flipped out and acted like I was saying something strange every time I said this.

That said. FUCK BAD COPS. They rape the trust and the respect of the public. If you can't see the difference then what the fuck ever...

But seriously. This thread is about bad cops. You go out of you way to defend cops in general. But... NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT COPS IN GENERAL JUST FOCUSED ON BAD ONES!!!
Well no shit. This is like arguing with a tree at this point. The issue is that you've set ridiculous fucking standards for what constitutes a "bad cop." It's like a goddamned thread on bad movies where there's unanimity on clearly bad movies, some arguing back and forth around movies on the fringe, and a couple of fringe nutcases that call every movie terrible, albeit while speculating that a theoretical good movie is possible and may exist somewhere. And who then define a "good movie" as one printed in text on paper, with no sound or moving pictures.

And being afraid of SOME Cops is NOT an irrational prejudice. HISTORICAL METRICS BACK that it's a reality.
Keep using that convenient excuse to defend criminals and justify resisting/fleeing. At some point, the public is going to see through all the crying wolf, or at the very least get fatigued by it and stop giving a fuck.

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
now you've done it, acting in bad faith again and wasting his time
Shouldn't you be getting back to giving incorrect legal opinions, like "a cop can't arrest you if he doesn't give you Miranda" or "if an officer doesn't place the left handcuff on first, the arrest doesn't count"?

Although if you stick to just snarky interjections, you can't ever be wrong, I guess.
Old 08-04-15, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
alcohol bottle from Sam DuBose video contained only air freshener according to coroner.

http://www.10news.com/news/u-s-world...-air-freshener
Local 12 News confirmed Tuesday, August 4, officers found 2 pounds of marijuana and $2,600 in cash in Sam DuBose's car after the deadly shooting involving a UC police officer.

There was no indication former Officer Ray Tensing knew anything about the drugs in the car when he confronted DuBose and fired the shot that killed him.

http://local12.com/news/features/top...r-180551.shtml
Old 08-04-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just so it's not all bad in here, well as far as a police shooting can go. Totally justified shooting here, but immediately calls for EMS and starts rendering aid. This is how is should go when shots have to be fired.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=f3b5d64325ea" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-05-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rohnert Park officer draws gun on innocent resident

http://abc7news.com/news/rohnert-par...sident/903249/

Here is the whole video :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aYONo5LeWDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-05-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why the police killing of this unarmed white man hasn't led to national outcry http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...htmlstory.html

A Cop Killed A White Teen And The #AllLivesMatter Crowd Said Nothing http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0c9fdc75dfda3
Old 08-05-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Body camera video undercuts police account of skid row shooting, suit says

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...805-story.html
Old 08-05-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why the police killing of this unarmed white man hasn't led to national outcry http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...htmlstory.html

A Cop Killed A White Teen And The #AllLivesMatter Crowd Said Nothing http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0c9fdc75dfda3
I heard about this. People are more worried about why this story didn't get out instead of why the man was killed. I kinda get that. As stated in the links...Most believe his story isn't making the rounds because he's white.

If the stats posted are to be believed the Cops kill more Whites and apparently Whites are OK with this....It kinda is what it is. If they don't care, why should anyone else care? The reason Black deaths get attention is because Black people raise hell about it.

This is also further proof that the #alllivesmatter crowd is ONLY about shitting on the #Blacklivesmatter movement.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-05-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Body camera video undercuts police account of skid row shooting, suit says

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...805-story.html
Good luck on this one. They've(LAPD investigators?) already said he reached for a gun and he was high. Game over.
Old 08-05-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jdodd View Post

Old 08-05-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard about this. People are more worried about why this story didn't get out instead of why the man was killed. I kinda get that. As stated in the links...Most believe his story isn't making the rounds because he's white.

If the stats posted are to be believed the Cops kill more Whites and apparently Whites are OK with this....It kinda is what it is. If they don't care, why should anyone else care? The reason Black deaths get attention is because Black people raise hell about it.

This is also further proof that the #alllivesmatter crowd is ONLY about shitting on the #Blacklivesmatter movement.
So stop raising hell and accept your fates just as us white people have!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.