Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 07-22-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
How is it bullshit? She resisted a lawful order and then resisted arrest.
To get out of her car for what reason? She didn't signal.
Old 07-22-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

She can legally be arrested for failing to use her signal. He was going to let her go but her attitude pissed him off. So he told her to get out of the car.
Old 07-22-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She shouldn't have even been pulled over - seriously, who gets pulled over for not signaling?
Spoiler:
Black people, it would seem
Old 07-22-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
The family is asking those who are angry over her death to keep from jumping to conclusions or acting out. They say they do not want her death "politicized."
Yeah well, apparently the family has changed their mind about that...

Originally Posted by Mother of Sandra Bland
“I have a baby to put in the ground. She wasn’t my convict, she wasn’t my suspect – she was my baby, ” Geneva Reed-Veal told the audience at Johnson Phillip All Faiths Church, according to the Dallas Morning News. “Once I put this baby in the ground, I’m ready. … This means war.”
Story here
Old 07-22-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Cusm View Post
To get out of her car for what reason? She didn't signal.
I thought it was because she didn't put out her cigarette?
Old 07-22-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I thought it was because she didn't put out her cigarette?
Exactly. It's not like she didn't turn off the car or roll down her window. And as bad as they are frowned on, smoking a cigarette is not illegal.
Old 07-22-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
She shouldn't have even been pulled over - seriously, who gets pulled over for not signaling?
I got pulled over for it once. I was actually signalling but turns out my blinker bulb had died. The cop pulled me over and when he saw that the signal didn't work even when I tried it he wrote me a fix-it ticket and all I had to do was get it fixed and go over to the station and show them it was fixed.

Officer was super nice but then again I wasn't an asshole looking to turn it into a big deal either. Just saying.
Old 07-22-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sheriff in Sandra Bland Case Was Fired in 2008 After Racism, Brutality Allegations

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...h_accused.html
Old 07-22-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the officers from the raid in georgia a couple years ago that ended with a flashbang in the baby crib has been indicted on federal charges. She was the officer that obtained the search warrant, that according to the prosecution was not based on real facts. She indicated that the confidential informant who provided her the information was a reliable informant, when in reality it was the roommate of a brand new informant who claimed to purchase meth with no witness to his buy.

She is charged with providing false information. She has quit previously and surrendered her law enforcement credentials to avoid state charges.
https://www.fbi.gov/atlanta/press-re...enade-incident

Seems to me that if you lie when obtaining a search warrant to be carried out by a swat team, you should be held responsible if someone is severely injured or killed. Much the way a driver whose passenger robs a liquor store and kills the clerk is also charged with murder.

Also, warrants based almost solely on CI's are bullshit and should never be granted. These are people you wouldn't trust to make you a sandwich at subway, yet their word alone (usually trying to save their own ass) can call in a swat team and destroy your house.
Old 07-22-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I got pulled over for it once. I was actually signalling but turns out my blinker bulb had died. The cop pulled me over and when he saw that the signal didn't work even when I tried it he wrote me a fix-it ticket and all I had to do was get it fixed and go over to the station and show them it was fixed.

Officer was super nice but then again I wasn't an asshole looking to turn it into a big deal either. Just saying.

Well, you still broke the law. You still should've been beaten then killed according to some folks here....

And so what if she was an Asshole. An EX Cop on CNN called her "Arrogant"(Translation.. Uppity Negress). Are cops so bitchy these days they can't take some non-violent heat? Again, other professions take shit from the public(Retail, Customer Service, Nurses, etc) and they DO NOT have the luxury of batons, tazers, guns, and a license to kill" and they get along just fine.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-22-15 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, you still broke the law. You still should've been beaten then killed according to some folks here....

And so what if she was an Asshole. An EX Cop on CNN called her "Arrogant"(Translation.. Uppity Negress). Are cops so bitchy these days they can't take some non-violent heat? Again, other professions take shit from the public(Retail, Customer Service, Nurses, etc) and they DO NOT have the luxury of batons, tazers, guns, and a license to kill" and they get along just fine.
right on.
Old 07-22-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Here's a bit more in a newer story.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...urce=DDMorning

It's very long, so here are the parts that stuck out to me.

Three people killed by police in Chicago should be alive today, according to a retired cop who says he was fired for reaching that conclusion after investigating their deaths for the city.

If the allegations made by Lorenzo Davis are true, then the authority charged with investigating the Chicago Police Department for police shootings and claims of misconduct since 2007 can no longer be trusted.

Davis, a former supervisor at the Independent Police Review Authority (IPRA) who previously had a 23-year career with the Chicago Police Department, tells The Daily Beast that he was fired after refusing to obey orders to reverse his findings that police were not justified in shooting suspects six times in the past eight years. In three of those incidents, the suspects died.
When IPRA finds that an officer is guilty of excessive force or unjustified in a shooting, it recommends disciplinary action—suspension, desk duty or firing, among other punishments. But that decision first must go through Ando before being considered by Superintendent Garry McCarthy and the police board, who can reject the recommendation.
Ando was Davis's boss.

Before Davis’s firing this month, Ando announced a new directive that stipulates how investigations of police shootings are assigned. According to Davis, officer-involved shooting investigations had previously been assigned randomly to one of 12 supervisors. (Those supervisors are in charge of IPRA’s 60 investigators, who, like detectives, dig into the minutiae of each incident.)

Now, Ando has hand-picked a single supervisor to oversee investigations of all police shootings, according to Davis.
According to Davis, Ando wanted all IPRA employees to sign a nondisclosure agreement that requires them not to talk about what police allegedly did, even if they left the agency.

IPRA investigators, protected by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) union, did not sign Ando’s agreement. Supervisors (who are not unionized) were also asked, and Davis refused.
This is what is really distubing....

There is no shortage of questionable police shootings for IPRA and the public to examine.

The most egregious appears to be the case of Laquan McDonald, a 17-year-old who was shot 16 times last year by at least one officer after the teen was found with a knife near a junkyard. Police said the officers were in fear for their lives, but an attorney for the McDonald family claims footage shows the teen walking away from police when they began firing. The video was apparently enough to prompt the city into a $5 million settlement with the family, on the condition that attorneys would not release the footage. McDonald’s family has seen the video and expressed their wishes that it be withheld from the public, fearing its release would cause Chicago to riot.

“Laquan McDonald is a very ugly shooting,” Davis said. “But they knew that if they had come out right away and released information on that shooting, you would have had demonstrations in Chicago.

“[McCarthy] should just admit that a bad shooting is a bad shooting,” Davis added. “If he doesn’t, then people will believe that it’s a cover-up.”

Police have tried to keep a lid on the McDonald case from the start. Not only did they confiscate surveillance footage from a nearby restaurant without a warrant, but audio is missing from the dashcam video showing McDonald’s death, attorneys announced last week.
and....

In 2010, the city paid a similar $4.6 million settlement to the family of William Hope Jr., who was shot after police blocked him into a parking space and tried to take his keys from the ignition when the 25-year-old said he felt he was being unlawfully detained. One officer fired several rounds, killing Hope, who died behind the wheel of his car.
and....
In 2012, the city settled with the family of Jamaal Moore, an unarmed 23-year-old who was first hit by a police cruiser, then gunned down. The car in which Moore was riding was mistaken for a vehicle used in an armed robbery. Moore was struck after the driver of the vehicle crashed. After being hit by the squad car, Moore tried to run. An officer fired twice, killing Moore.
"Hey, if he didn't do anything wrong, why did he run?"

The settlements mean the details of police killings, including the identities of the officers involved, won’t be exposed to the public in court trials.

Neither of the cases above were assigned to Davis, he said. But with six “bad” police shootings under his charge as a supervisor, the deaths of Moore, Hope, and McDonald just add to the tally of killings that probably shouldn’t have happened, Davis said.
For 23 years Davis patrolled some of the city’s toughest neighborhoods, first as a beat cop, then as a tactical officer working to get dangerous gang members and other criminals off the streets. He knows what it takes—physically, mentally, and emotionally—to shoot someone. Davis said he can’t count the number of times his service weapon left its holster.

He knows what it’s like to be on the receiving end of gunshots, too.

On January 17, 1984, Davis and several other officers were executing a search warrant in the 6th District, which includes the Gresham neighborhood where Davis served as a tactical officer for half a decade. With him that day was Officer Fred Eckles, a 10-year veteran of the force who died from multiple gunshot wounds after a drug dealer fired on the 41-year-old.

Davis returned fire, killing the offender.
“I know people coming out of the training academy telling me that it’s a badge of honor to shoot somebody, particularly a gangbanger,” Davis said.

Last week, during a particularly chaotic night in Chicago, officers fired on a shooting suspect but missed. When asked for the condition of a nearby shooting victim, a cop on the scene became confused, thinking the dispatcher had referred to the target of police gunfire.

“If they’re shot by police, they’re not victims; they’re offenders.”

While that mentality may make sense in the heat of the night, investigative minds are supposed to be cooler. Davis brought that approach to IPRA, until Ando decided that the veteran cop had to go.

“He should have known that I might go out and talk to people.”
Sounds like a systemic problem. Hard to believe about Chicago police, eh?
Old 07-22-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NOT from The Onion:

Fundraiser for Baltimore cops charged in Freddie Gray’s death to feature blackface performance

A fundraiser for the “Baltimore 6″ — the police officers charged in the death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray — will feature a blackface performance by a former police officer who was compelled to leave force in 1984 for performing in blackface, Ebony’s Jamilah Lemieux reports.

Among the list of entertainers on the invitation to the fundraiser is one “Bobby ‘Al Jolson’ Berger — out of retirement,” which as Lemieux noted is one of the stranger ways “to raise funds for a group of police implicated in the death of a black man.” When she contacted number listed on the invitation, however, she discovered why Berger had been booked — “I’m hosting the event,” he told her.

“I was a Baltimore city policeman,” he said by way of explaining why he was hosting the fundraiser, “and then I had no income, no insurance, and a wife and child. We’re trying to get something together for them for Christmas.”

Berger claimed that while he knows “it sounds crazy,” there’s no racial dimension to blackface performances, and that the fact that black people — including former heavyweight boxing champion Joe Frazier — attended his show without taking offense proves as much. “The only thing I can tell you is that the heavyweight champion of the world isn’t going to stand by and watch me mock Black people,” he said, adding that neither Montel Williams nor Ben Vereen were offended by it either.

Lemieux asked whether he considered it inappropriate to perform in blackface given “the racially-charged nature of the Gray case and ensuing civil unrest,” and he dismissed the notion out of hand.

“There’s not a prejudiced bone in my body,” Berger said. “I would never do anything to insult anybody. I wouldn’t do that show if I thought it was insulting.” He explained that it simply “feels like the right time to put some money in these family’s pockets.”

As for those who do find it offensive, Berger said “it’s just make-up, there’s no jokes, no buffoonery. If that bothers you, don’t buy a ticket.”
It has been reported that this... er... performance... has been swiftly cancelled after this story broke.

But you really have to wonder HOW THE FUCK anyone could have thought, even for a second, that this was in any way appropriate.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 07-22-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-23-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
But you really have to wonder HOW THE FUCK anyone could have thought, even for a second, that this was in any way appropriate.
White people not understanding why black people are offended by something wildly offensive and disgustingly racist? Is water still wet?
Old 07-23-15, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Better if she acted like this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gwYBshAScmE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-23-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G74fjFZf1uI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-23-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sadly, sure seems that way. I've worked in professions before where I have taken a lot of shit from people. Shit, in high school, I worked at a pizza place and had an angry customer try to jump the counter to attack me. I definitely didn't have the luxury of beating the guy or shooting him. Some of these cops need to chill the fuck out or be removed from their jobs if they are going to violently explode over this type of stuff.
Old 07-23-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G74fjFZf1uI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This one is great. I love how the when the other cop enters the frame and starts beating on the guy, the other cop basically says, "Fuck yeah! That must be my signal to join in!"
Old 07-23-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

N.J. Attorney General will not investigate police response to cop's shooting of ex-wife

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf...ice_respo.html
Old 07-23-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you white?

Also, if you watch the video - she changed lanes to get out of the cops way, who was driving up to her erratically/unpredictably.

Last edited by slop101; 07-23-15 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-23-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I think police in large metro areas like Seattle, Chicago, Baltimore, New York, etc. are so insulated that they don't understand things like this. They work with cops, they hang out with cops in their off time, etc. It's one of the reasons I think we need more beat police from neighborhoods. When the populace knows the police as people first and the police knows the community as people first, you don't end up with these kinds of things. At least that is just my belief based off living in a small town where everyone does know the police and there aren't enough of them to be "insulated." They quit being seen as police and are just seen as "Stan, Mike, and Reggie."

Thanks for that.
Old 07-23-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

Also, if you watch the video - she changed lanes to get out of the cops way, who was driving up to her erratically/unpredictably.
I've watched the beginning of the video several times. That is complete bullshit. She's stopped at a light and he slows down as he catches up to her. She then proceeds to go and he maintains the same distance as she proceeds to change lanes. Even if she felt that way, it doesn't excuse her from following the law.
Old 07-23-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let's get back to the bigger question: what the fuck happened to her after? Did she hang herself? It was a shitty situation, but not shitty enough to end in someone dying.
Old 07-23-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Let's get back to the bigger question: what the fuck happened to her after? Did she hang herself? It was a shitty situation, but not shitty enough to end in someone dying.
I read that she posted a Facebook video saying that she had a little depression and PTSD. Her family is saying she was never treated for depression. I'm guessing the arrest may have pushed her too far.
Old 07-23-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And yet a white CEO who embezzles millions, will be kindly escorted out of a building with zero instance because, god forbid, his dignity not stay intact.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.