Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 07-20-15, 12:54 PM
RIP

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
It's okay to make up a crime when a guy is just being an asshole?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-arrested-him/
Fuckin' Gyllenhaal.
Old 07-20-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
So they all trespassed or none of them did.
Old 07-20-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's about the dumbest thing I've read today. Thanks.
Old 07-20-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really you have to see the difference, right?

A citizen coming to help obviously doesn't have any criminal intent, a guy who opens the door but is not coming to render aid/help isn't any different than walking through the mall parking lot checking for unlocked doors.

Had he stood outside the vehicle and filmed, I'd agree with you. He actively entered it when he opened the door.
Old 07-20-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
Really you have to see the difference, right?

A citizen coming to help obviously doesn't have any criminal intent, a guy who opens the door but is not coming to render aid/help isn't any different than walking through the mall parking lot checking for unlocked doors.

Had he stood outside the vehicle and filmed, I'd agree with you. He actively entered it when he opened the door.
We searched to try to find anything to charge him with,” Lorain Police Detective Buddy Sivert told Reuters, noting that Pelton was charged for entering a crime scene, but not for filming what was unfolding there, nor for trying to peddle the footage to news organizations. “It is not a crime to stick a camera where a kid is dying or try to sell it.”
The bolded part is my problem. They're searching the books to find and "asshole" charge.
Old 07-20-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

and they found something legitimate. What's the problem? You can't go around opening car doors, crashed vehicle or not.
Old 07-20-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

... and they found a legitimate charge that applied to what he did.

You'd have a complaint if they searched for a charge, couldn't find one that applied, then stretched the law and arrested him for a non-applicable offense, or a vague catch-all like "disorderly conduct." That's not what happened.

Edit: Dave beat me to it. When you have both Dave and I agreeing against you on an issue in this thread, you probably need to rethink your position.
Old 07-20-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 07-20-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
... and they found a legitimate charge that applied to what he did.

You'd have a complaint if they searched for a charge, couldn't find one that applied, then stretched the law and arrested him for a non-applicable offense, or a vague catch-all like "disorderly conduct." That's not what happened.

Edit: Dave beat me to it. When you have both Dave and I agreeing against you on an issue in this thread, you probably need to rethink your position.
This asshole deserves a stop in New Mexico or a visit with Tomy the K-9 unit. If some asshole filmed my son dying and sold it while never attempting to help, I would make every cop in this thread look like a combination of Mother Theresa and MLK.
Old 07-20-15, 02:43 PM
RIP

Yeah, this guy is fucked up. Even if he stood outside the car and filmed, he's fucked up. I'm glad he opened the door so they had something to charge him with. What a lowlife mother of a fuck.
Old 07-20-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Agreed. Bystanders don't go and inspect wreckage.

I don't get people who get off on seeing death.
Old 07-20-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The bolded part is my problem. They're searching the books to find and "asshole" charge.
This is one of those times when just about everyone supports what the cops did. You're on your own here!
Old 07-20-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit. Someone really took Nightcrawler to heart.
Old 07-20-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.wbez.org/news/city-fires-...ootings-112423

City fires investigator who found cops at fault in shootings

A Chicago investigator who determined that several civilian shootings by police officers were unjustified was fired after resisting orders to reverse those findings, according to internal records of his agency obtained by WBEZ.

Scott M. Ando, chief administrator of the city’s Independent Police Review Authority, informed its staff in a July 9 email that the agency no longer employed supervising investigator Lorenzo Davis, 65, a former Chicago police commander. IPRA investigates police-brutality complaints and recommends any punishment.

Davis’s termination came less than two weeks after top IPRA officials, evaluating Davis’s job performance, accused him of “a clear bias against the police” and called him “the only supervisor at IPRA who resists making requested changes as directed by management in order to reflect the correct finding with respect to OIS,” as officer-involved shootings are known in the agency.

Since its 2007 creation, IPRA has investigated nearly 400 civilian shootings by police and found one to be unjustified.

WBEZ asked to interview Ando, promoted last year by Mayor Rahm Emanuel to head the agency. The station also sent Ando’s spokesman questions about sticking points between IPRA investigators and managers, about the agency’s process for overturning investigative findings, and about the reasons the agency had reversed many of Davis’s findings.

The spokesman said there would be no interview and sent this statement: “This is a personnel matter that would be inappropriate to address through the media, though the allegations are baseless and without merit. IPRA is committed to conducting fair, unbiased, objective, thorough and timely investigations of allegations of police misconduct and officer-involved shootings.”

The performance evaluation covered 19 months and concluded that Davis “displays a complete lack of objectivity combined with a clear bias against the police in spite of his own lengthy police career.”

Davis served in the police department for 23 years. As a commander, he headed detective units, the department’s Austin district and, finally, its public-housing unit. He retired from the department in 2004.

“I did not like the direction the police department had taken,” Davis said. “It appeared that officers were doing whatever they wanted to do. The discipline was no longer there.”

After leaving the department, Davis says, he kept thinking about police conduct, especially shootings. Davis, who had a law degree, says he wondered how often the officers really faced life-threatening dangers that would justify deadly force.

“If there are a few bad police officers who have committed some shootings that are unnecessary or bad then it erodes the public’s confidence in all the other police officers out there,” Davis said.

A series of police-conduct scandals, meanwhile, led Mayor Richard M. Daley to move a unit called the Office of Professional Standards from the police department to his direct control. He renamed the unit the Independent Police Review Authority.

IPRA hired Davis as an investigator in 2008. Two years later, around the time he completed a master’s degree in criminal justice, IPRA promoted him to lead a team of five investigators.

Through most of his IPRA tenure, Davis’s performance evaluations showered him with praise. They called him an “effective leader” and “excellent team player.”

The final evaluation, issued June 26, said he “is clearly not a team player.”

Davis, who earned $93,024 a year in the job, says he applied at different points for higher IPRA posts, including chief administrator. He says getting passed over for them did not affect his performance.

“Things began to turn sour, I would say, within the last year,” Davis said. “Chief Administrator Ando began to say that he wanted me to change my findings.”

Davis says he helped investigate more than a dozen shootings by police at the agency. He says his superiors had no objections when his team recommended exonerating officers. The objections came, he says, after each finding that a shooting was unjustified. He says there were six of those cases.

“They have shot people dead when they did not have to shoot,” Davis said about those officers. “They were not in reasonable fear for their lives. The evidence shows that the officer knew, or should have known, that the person who they shot was not armed or did not pose a threat to them or could have been apprehended by means short of deadly force.”

Davis says he can’t go into detail about the cases because some are still pending and because the city considers them confidential. Emanuel’s office did not respond to WBEZ questions about Davis’s termination or about IPRA’s record investigating shootings by officers.

Former IPRA Chief Administrator Ilana Rosenzweig, who hired both Ando and Davis before leaving the agency in 2013, declined to comment about the termination.

Anthony Finnell, a former IPRA supervising investigator, says he considers Davis a mentor. He says the two would confer on cases.

“When the investigators would bring cases to us, as supervisors, we would look, first, to see if the officer was justified in his actions,” said Finnell, who now heads a police-oversight agency in Oakland, California.

Finnell, who left IPRA last year, says the agency’s investigators were better situated than its management to size up a case.

“Many times we would look at the situation and say, ‘Well, I don’t think that reasoning makes sense or that officer is not being as truthful as I think he should be,’ ” Finnell said. “In fact, many times we may have thought they had lied.”

Finnell, who worked at IPRA only 15 months, says he was never asked to change findings. If he had been, he says, he would have followed Davis’s example.

“As an investigator,” Finnell said, “I wouldn’t just change findings because someone told me to.”

Apparently they really wanted to keep their record of only 1 unjustified shooting since 2007. Just have to get rid of those guys who won't go back and change their reports.
Old 07-20-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, so is that one unjustified shooting on record actually his, or are all 6 of his cases either still pending or overturned by someone else?
Old 07-21-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

We don't know. who handled the single unjustified shooting.
Old 07-22-15, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm sure we posted about Sandra Bland, the activist for Black Lives Matter being arrested for a minor infraction in Texas, and ending up dead in her cell over the weekend. Very short and not much to it other than a breakdown of the video released.

http://bennorton.com/dashcam-video-o...nd-was-edited/

Not much to it, but apparently the dashcam video from the car of the officer that arrested her was obviously edited (poorly) prior to its release by the Texas Dept. of Public Safety. No doubt the police are already raiding their office and arresting people for obstruction of justice.

And I have to ask, why don't people seem to trust and respect police like they use to?
Old 07-22-15, 08:45 AM
RIP

Edited poorly. Understatement of the year.
Old 07-22-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why was she still in jail? I think her bail was only $500?

Yeah, seems like a bullshit arrest at this point. The cop has been moved to desk duty for rule violations.

I have to wonder: would prosecutor McCoy from Law and Order go after the cop, saying he is indirectly respoinsible for her death even though it appears that she hanged herself?
Old 07-22-15, 09:21 AM
RIP

Old 07-22-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Officer Threatened Sandra Bland With Taser, Police Video Shows

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/us...says.html?_r=0

Last edited by inri222; 07-22-15 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-22-15, 10:08 AM
RIP

Seems like he may have had a case of LDS.
Old 07-22-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Yeah, seems like a bullshit arrest at this point. The cop has been moved to desk duty for rule violations.

I have to wonder: would prosecutor McCoy from Law and Order go after the cop, saying he is indirectly respoinsible for her death even though it appears that she hanged herself?
Does it?
Old 07-22-15, 02:34 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Does it?
Yes, it appears she hanged herself. Whether or not she did is another question. But it appears so.
Old 07-22-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

How is it bullshit? She resisted a lawful order and then resisted arrest.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.