Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Old 07-17-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
She should NOT have kicked the cop but damn dude. I guess once again the idea that cops should hold a higher standard and be professional takes a back seat "tit for tat"....or in this case "Overwhelming show of force for tat" .
Well, that and if a civilian reacted with that level of force in response to a kick like that, I'm fairly sure they would be arrested. Or is that considered "self defense?"
Old 07-17-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Well, that and if a civilian reacted with that level of force in response to a kick like that, I'm fairly sure they would be arrested. Or is that considered "self defense?"
I agree.

But then again, is there even such a thing as "self defense" for civilians where cops are concerned? A Cop can fear for his/her life and kill someone, but a Civilian can't do anything if they fear being killed by a cops. Anything they do just goes into the report as "assault on a 'peace' officer".

I keep hearing there may be some rights IF the arrest is "illegal" but....
Old 07-17-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Part of being a police officer is having the ability to restrain yourself.

My wife was a CNA for a while, and she'd get punched, slapped, kicked, scratched, or pushed on a regular basis. Want to guess how many times she reacted with violence?

So if a guy came into her office and punched her in the face, she'd just sit there. And from what I gather, you'd be extremely content with her broken face and would encourage her to give the perp a big hug.

Nice to know.

And a great lesson for cops.
Old 07-17-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So if a guy came into her office and punched her in the face, she'd just sit there. And from what I gather, you'd be extremely content with her broken face and would encourage her to give the perp a big hug.

Nice to know.

Talk about hyperbole.
Old 07-17-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd polizei View Post
so if a guy came into her office and punched her in the face, she'd just sit there. And from what i gather, you'd be extremely content with her broken face and would encourage her to give the perp a big hug.

Nice to know.

01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01110011 01110101 01100011 01101000 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01110010 01101111 01101100 01101100 00100001
Old 07-17-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice to know.

A CNA is a Certified Nurses Aid. And the incidents of being attacked while working in an ER are daily. Guess what the doctors and nurses don't get beat the living shit out of the assailant or shoot them. There are little things they may do to cause some pain to them, but they can not just go after them.
Old 07-17-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 07-17-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The bending-over backwards to justify this goon's behavior is just
Old 07-17-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice to know.

If a handcuffed teenaged girl came into her office and kicked her shin while sitting down, I'd hope that Mikael79's wife would have the incredible amount of self control it would take to not hit her in the face and bodyslam her into the ground, but then I don't know his wife.

Of course, there's the possibility this video is edited, and we're missing the part where she turns Super Saiyan, breaks the cuffs, and beats him senseless before he finally regains control.

Honestly, though, if someone punched a cop in the face, I'd fully expect them to get beaten down.
Old 07-17-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice to know.

According to polizei, if I'm walking down the aisle of a bus, and someone barely scuffs my leg with their foot, I'm fully within in my rights to body slam them to the ground face first.
Old 07-17-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice to know.

They'd restrain the patient. And by that, I don't mean they beat the shit out of him/her. They'd call the cops sometimes, but we all know the police aren't trained to deal with the mentally ill.
Old 07-18-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
They'd call the cops sometimes, but we all know the police aren't trained to deal with the mentally ill.
Often one and the same.
Old 07-18-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post

According to polizei, if I'm walking down the aisle of a bus, and someone barely scuffs my leg with their foot, I'm fully within in my rights to body slam them to the ground face first.
I'm a meanie online but if you saw me in the public, I'd be a gentle giant.
Old 07-20-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

http://watchdogsarasota.heraldtribun...e-canine-team/

This is a long article so I won't quote the entire thing. It's about a Florida town whose police love their police dogs and brag about them. A few quotes, though....

The attack haunts Danielle Drake like a recurring nightmare.

On a late June night in 2014, Drake said, she was walking alongside a neighborhood street, lost in thought after an argument with her boyfriend at his nearby home, when something hit her from behind. She was knocked face first into the pavement. The next thing she remembers was a massive dog tearing into her head, saturating her blonde hair with blood and opening wounds across her left temple that took more than 30 stitches to close.

“There was so much blood I thought I had cracked my head open,” said Drake, now 20, who is employed as a senior caregiver. “I was crying, screaming in pain.”

North Port Police records show Drake was suspected of being involved in a hit-and-run accident that occurred earlier that night. When police spotted her, officers reported, she ran and hid behind a bush. Then, they said, Drake ran face first into an 80-pound police dog named Tomy.

Drake, who was not charged in the case and has no criminal record, disputes that narrative.
Her attorneys have notified city leaders that she will file a federal lawsuit against North Port, accusing its officers of excessive force.

Danielle Drake’s case reflects discrepancies that have emerged between North Port’s official descriptions of police dog attacks and accounts from those who have been bitten.

A month after Drake was bitten Police Chief Vespia told the North Port Sun newspaper that the young woman had been “nipped” by Tomy.

Disturbing picture may be NSFW
Spoiler:
The story goes on with a few other things about the department....

Unable to charge Drake in connection with the crash, North Port Police reopened her case in July of 2014, a month after she was bitten, and requested the State Attorney’s Office charge her with resisting arrest.

Investigative documents, including police photographs of Drake’s injuries, were withheld from the public for six months before prosecutors decided not to charge Drake with any crime in part because of her “significant injuries” and “minimal resistance.”

In her report, Assistant State Attorney Jessica Vitale wrote that Tomy was leashed at the time of the attack and that Drake ran face first into the dog, based on police testimony. But the prosecutor also noted that officers could not determine the driver responsible for the hit-and-run crash.

Why Bush would position his police dog within such close proximity of a young woman who was neither reportedly armed nor violent is a question that remains unanswered.
From the same department
Shortly before 11 p.m., police received word that “several kids” were traversing a central North Port neighborhood, opening car doors and stealing items from inside.

Officers responded to the Heron Creek gated community, where Bush unleashed Tomy on fleeing teenager Tyler Langston.

The Malinois opened a wound on the then 17-year-old’s left calf that required plastic surgery and 30 staples to repair, the Langston family’s lawsuit states.

The teenager pleaded with Bush to call off Tomy, the lawsuit claims, but the officer let his dog bite “anywhere from two to five minutes.” Another officer allegedly struck Langston, who is black, in the head.

Police reported they had probable cause to arrest Langston on a felony burglary charge, but his family’s lawsuit asserts that he was never charged. The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office has reported it has no record of Langston being booked in the county jail. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement also has no record of criminal charges against Langston.

Langston and his parents, Lewis and Natasha Langston, are suing the city in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. The trial is scheduled to begin early next year.

Tyler Langston was one of five unarmed teenagers bitten by North Port Police dogs in the past five years, records show.
Historically, police dog bites often lead to excessive force lawsuits, according to Northern Michigan University's Charles Mesloh.

Over the past five years, the average bite ratio for North Port’s canine unit was 37 percent, according to calculations made by the Herald-Tribune.

“It’s so unusual to have a bite ratio that high,” Mesloh said. “You should probably not have a bite ratio over 30 percent as a unit or an individual.”
This is about their record keeping, etc.
The North Port Police Department does not readily provide records tracking its canine unit’s uses of force.

It took multiple record requests from the Herald-Tribune to receive records documenting the department’s 34 police dog bites from 2010 through 2014.

Two force reports — one from 2011 and one from 2012 — were incomplete when the Herald-Tribune requested them in 2015.

Another force report from a bite in July 2014 was provided more than a month after it was requested in 2015 because it was returned to Officer Bush for corrections, according to a record technician.

Three more bites that were deemed accidental — including Drake’s and an incident where Tomy bit a North Port police officer — were not recorded with force reports. This method of filing is apparently in violation of North Port Police’s current set of written police canine policies, which states “whenever a police canine bites any person (suspect, citizen or officer) ... the injuries will be carefully documented in writing on a Response to Resistance form and submitted with a copy of the incident report.”

Data that would allow the department to quickly keep tabs on bite ratios was also unavailable.

When a Herald-Tribune reporter requested the total number of apprehensions each of North Port’s canine teams made in the last five years, a records technician reported “no document containing this information exists.”
Another use for police dogs, apparently

Suicide attempt

Mark, a North Port resident, said he was clinging to life when Tomy attacked him. Police responded to the 48-year-old’s suicide attempt in July 2014.

About 8:30 p.m., Mark said, he slit his wrists in his mother’s garage. When at least two North Port Police officers later found him lying in the wooded area behind her house, photographs show he was covered in blood and wearing only boxer shorts.

“I had almost bled out. Pretty much I was dead when they found me,” Mark recalled in an interview. “And they still sicced the dog on me.”
There are several more as well. This next little bit is about the officers in the department. Or those that use to be in the department.

Troubled department

The City of North Port could be a case study for how growth has changed Florida. In the 1950s, the city was conceived and platted by the General Development Corp., which sold lots to workers in the Northeast as retirement and second homes.

Blessed with abundant land and cheaper home prices than neighboring cities Venice, Sarasota and Fort Myers, North Port developed so rapidly that it is now the most populous city in Sarasota County, home to more than 55,000 residents.

But with the growth came growing pains — particularly for the city’s Police Department.

A Legacy of Leniency,” a Herald-Tribune investigation published last year, found that 19 North Port officers have been investigated three or more times over a period of 18 years for offenses ranging from conduct unbecoming an officer to burglary.

In 2014, a veteran North Port officer committed suicide as sheriff’s deputies came to arrest him in a sexual battery case.

On the surface, North Port’s police dog unit appears to be an exception to the force’s shortcomings. Never numbering more than a handful of officers, the unit has won more than 20 awards at regional and national police dog field trials in recent years.

On patrol, the canines’ acute senses of smell and hearing are used to track people, search buildings and apprehend suspects. They can find drugs and weapons hidden from sight.

Police Chief Vespia and Assistant Chief Anthony Sirianni have repeatedly stated North Port’s canine teams “travel along the path of excellence.”

But internal affairs records tell a different story.

In the past five years, two of North Port’s canine handlers have resigned amid internal investigations. A third was removed from the canine unit last year and resigned Thursday.

Officer Michael Dietz, 39, resigned after he was arrested in March for battering his fiancée. The 12-year department veteran was found guilty after pleading no contest. He recently began a yearlong probation.

In 2008, North Port canine trainer and handler Noel Coward, 49, was disciplined after hitting a man in a bar during the Super Bowl. Reinstated to the force on the condition he stop drinking, Coward resigned in 2012 after an internal investigation determined he had violated the zero-tolerance policy while at a U.S. Police Canine Association event.

Shawn Rice, 34, was removed from the canine unit last August after he kissed a 16-year-old girl who was a member of the department’s Police Explorer Program for students. He resigned July 9 amid an internal investigation, according to the police department.

As a result of the dismissal and resignations, the canine unit’s most veteran member, Officer Keith Bush, 28, has four years of experience as a police canine handler. City records indicate that he has never been the subject of a formal complaint or discipline.

North Port’s number of police dog bites surged after Bush joined the unit. His canine partner, Tomy, bit 21 people — including one police officer — from 2012 through 2014, far more than any other police dog the Herald-Tribune reviewed across six agencies.
I'm sure some industrious people will find things in the original that I didn't quote that will exonerate the police force.
Old 07-20-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Buffalo police officer suspended without pay after video surfaces of him striking suspect

http://www.wkbw.com/news/buffalo-pol...video-surfaces
Old 07-20-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

CELL PHONE VIDEO: Officer 'illegally' enters woman's home, arrests her while she is naked

http://www.wkbw.com/news/cell-phone-...e-she-is-naked
Old 07-20-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Buffalo police officer suspended without pay after video surfaces of him striking suspect

http://www.wkbw.com/news/buffalo-pol...video-surfaces
how is this not battery? Suspension without pay is an employment issue, why is there no criminal investigation?
Old 07-20-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how is this not battery? Suspension without pay is an employment issue, why is there no criminal investigation?
The article says, "Brown says Porzio's case is being reviewed by another police department at this time." Since the incident happened 5 years ago, the statute of limitations might have run on some of the charges though.
Old 07-20-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
CELL PHONE VIDEO: Officer 'illegally' enters woman's home, arrests her while she is naked

http://www.wkbw.com/news/cell-phone-...e-she-is-naked

Full story at post 2622
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12537259-post2622.html
Old 07-20-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Oooops half asleep.
Old 07-20-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
The article says, "Brown says Porzio's case is being reviewed by another police department at this time." Since the incident happened 5 years ago, the statute of limitations might have run on some of the charges though.
The buffalo PD has been aware of it since 2012 (incident happened 2010). It takes 3 years to get a 1 month suspension?

Maybe some oil is needs for those slow turning wheels of justice. I think they might be stuck.

This article says the criminal review has been finished - no charges filed.
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...spect-20150714
Old 07-20-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The buffalo PD has been aware of it since 2012 (incident happened 2010). It takes 3 years to get a 1 month suspension?

Maybe some oil is needs for those slow turning wheels of justice. I think they might be stuck.

This article says the criminal review has been finished - no charges filed.
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...spect-20150714
I have no idea... it certainly doesn't help anything to wait 2 years before notifying the department. The article you linked talked about an April 2014 incident in that same department where the guy has already been terminated and prosecuted, so the "slow turning wheels of justice" seemed to work fine there.
Old 07-20-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good point on the delay. Ideally the other 2 officers standing there would have reported the incident themselves directly, I'm not sure why that didn't happen.
Old 07-20-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's okay to make up a crime when a guy is just being an asshole?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-arrested-him/
Old 07-20-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
It's okay to make up a crime when a guy is just being an asshole?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-arrested-him/
How did they "make up a crime"?

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2...ash-aftermath/

LORAIN – A Lorain man who recorded the immediate aftermath of a fatal car crash that claimed the life of a 17-year-old high school boy has been charged for opening the mangled car door while continuing to videotape.

Lorain police charged Paul Pelton, of 1341 F St., Lorain with vehicle trespass, a misdemeanor crime. Pelton was arrested at this home in the early afternoon Wednesday.

Pelton was one of the first residents to arrive after the car accident at approximately 12:45 a.m. Monday in the 400 block of Kansas Avenue near a set of railroad tracks. Two teens, Zachary Goodin and Cameron Friend, both 17, were severely injured.

Goodin’s 1999 Honda hit a pole, parked car, house and tree before catching fire, police said.

The crash sent neighbors and other residents racing to the scene and several attempted to help Goodin and Friend.

“While others were rendering aid to these boys, a male took the opportunity to video this horrible scene with his cell phone,” said a press release from police Sgt. Buddy Sivert. “In the video, the male makes comments that the boys were “idiots,” and holds his cell phone so that he can film these two boys who were in medical crisis.”

The videographer, later identified as Pelton, opens the back door of the vehicle and leans in to continue capturing video, the release said.

“He walks around to the driver’s side and videotapes the driver, and then returns to the door that he opened and continues to capture video of these boys and the interior of the vehicle,” Sivert wrote. “At no time does the male render assistance to the victims, or even attempt to comfort them.”

Cameron Friend was taken to the hospital and later died from his injuries.

The video was posted to Facebook on a profile page under the name Paul Santucci. Police said Pelton also tried to sell the video to at least two media outlets.

“The Lorain Police Department would like to remind citizens that they are allowed and encouraged to help one another in emergencies if they can do so safely, and that rendering aid or comfort to a dying young man and his severely injured friend is a commendable and kindly act,” Sivert wrote.

“Persons are not, however, allowed to trespass into a person’s vehicle criminally and without permission for the seemingly singular cause of filming a young man’s dying moments for profit.”

According to Ohio Codified Ordinance 545.06(d), vehicle trespass is “knowingly entering into or upon a motor vehicle without consent of the owner/driver or person authorized to give consent.”

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.