DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597561-cops-behaving-badly-thread.html)

Mikael79 07-07-15 09:53 AM

Re: The "Cops Behaving Badly" Thread

Joel Robinson finally gets off the Satellite of Love, and now he's off to prison. It stinks!

http://s14.postimg.org/4hquhgbch/joelitstinks.png

CaptainMarvel 07-07-15 10:28 AM

I frankly have no idea how he's not dead. He fired shots at one of the entry teams, then ran outside of his house, encountered a second team outside of the house on the perimeter of the property, and shot at them as well (which is when he hit one).

To hear some people on this forum talk, you'd think that him being a black male alone would have caused them to shoot him.

kvrdave 07-07-15 03:31 PM

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/20...ecording-them/

New Hampshire Police Face Million Dollar Lawsuit After Arresting Man for Recording Them

The city of Manchester, New Hampshire and two of its police officers are facing a lawsuit for more than a million dollars after arresting a man for audio-recording the officers as they searched his home.

Alfredo Valentin, 43, was arrested on March 3 after police conducted a no-knock raid on his home in search of drugs that belonged to a tenant and was later fired from his job because of the arrest, according to the lawsuit.

Valentin was never charged with any drug crimes and, according to the lawsuit, was not aware that there were any drugs in his home.

Police were investigating Christopher Chapman, whom they suspected of selling heroin, and were able to arrest him outside of Hillsborough County Superior Court.

Despite already having the man in custody, the department sent a SWAT team to break into Valentin’s home, “firing incendiary devices through the property’s windows, kicking in the doors, and entering the property SWAT-style with semi-automatic weapons—damaging property, terrifying the two women who were still in the house, and creating an unjustifiable risk of accidental death or injury,” according to the lawsuit (see below for pictures of the damage).

The police department’s website claims that its SWAT team is only used in special circumstances like “the execution of high risk narcotics search warrants,” but the department’s press release about the raid on Valentin’s home make no reference to weapons or other factors that would have justified the violent and destructive tactics.

Valentin had surveillance cameras installed in his home that likely captured video of the raid, but they were seized by police.

Valentin was at work at the time of the raid, but went home after receiving a call from his neighbor, who said his dog had gotten loose.

After seeing vehicles parked in his driveway and evidence of forced entry to his home, Valentin confronted the intruders. One of them told Valentin he was a police officer, but refused to identify himself.

Valentin asked to speak to a supervisor and was approached by Sergeant Christopher Sanders, who said he had a search warrant but refused to show it. Sanders told Valentin to come back in an hour.

Valentin returned an hour later and used his smartphone to audio record. He was approached by Sanders and Sergeant Brian LeVeille, who eventually showed him the warrant but then arrested him for wiretapping after he started walking away. Both sergeants are named in the lawsuit as defendants.

A third man was later arrested by the Massachusetts State Police in Lawrence, Massachusetts as part of the drug investigation.

Brandon Ross, Valentin’s attorney, said that while he is cognizant of the heroin problem in New England, it doesn’t justify police mistreating members of the public.

“You have this war on drugs that’s just going and going and failing completely. And what you do about that is a policy question that I can’t answer, but peoples’ basic liberties and constitutional rights should not be casualties in that war,” he said.

Ross said he convinced the police to drop the wiretapping case, but prosecutors later decided to bring it before a grand jury and were able to obtain an indictment.

“My confidence in him not being convicted is a hundred percent,” Ross said. “They did this to stall everything.”

Ross said the police department still hasn’t returned Valentin’s phone and has refused to provide him with the police report and any other evidence, telling him that doing so would interfere with their case against Chapman.

“They will not give anything up yet,” Ross said. “That’s what makes me so focused on the case is because they’re just not cooperating in a very unusual way.”

Ross said that Valentin’s arrest cost him his job as an accounts payable manager at Longchamps Electric, Inc., where he had worked for 11 years. Ross also said Valentin’s termination meant he lost his health insurance, leaving him unable to pay for medication to treat his chronic asthma and diabetes.

Ross said part of the reason Valentin was fired was a press release issued by the police department which he said insinuated Valentin was involved in a drug ring. The press release, itself titled “Multi-agency investigation leads to 3 arrests,” led to news stories with headlines like “300 grams of heroin seized, 3 people arrested during search.”

“There were worse ones, but I asked the publishers to remove them with threats of litigation. A television news station actually reported, in print and on air, that Valentin was arrested with the heroin and money in his possession. Not surprisingly, they blamed the press release as being misleading. I have copies of those articles, but I can’t bring publicity to them by sharing them,” Ross said.

Ross previously helped overturn the felony wiretapping conviction of Cop Block founder Ademo Freeman, who surreptitiously recorded phone calls with Manchester police and public school officials about a video of a police officer attacking a student. Freeman later plead guilty to misdemeanor wiretapping after the charges were re-filed.

“Standing up for the little guy is something I enjoy doing,” Ross said.

Ross said he’d ultimately like to see the state’s wiretapping statute changed to a one-party consent law, which would make police and prosecutors less likely to abuse it.

It would probably also help if the mainstream media did a better job of standing up for the First Amendment instead of uncritically regurgitating police press releases. A number of news outlets including the Union Leader, New Hampshire’s largest newspaper, reprinted the the police department’s false claim that it’s illegal to record police without their consent without challenging it.

Multiple court cases have already established that recording the police is protected by the First Amendment in New Hampshire. The 2011 Glik decision, which was related to Massachusetts which is in the same federal jurisdiction as New Hampshire, found that recording police and other government officials is a clearly established right. The 2014 Gericke decision, which involved the Weare, New Hampshire Police Department, also found that recording the police is protected.

The Union Leader previously covered both the Glik and Gericke decisions, so they have no excuse for misleading their readers with their terrible reporting on Valentin’s arrest.

The Manchester Police Department and Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas did not respond to requests for comment.

You can call the Manchester Police Department at (603) 668-8711 or send them a message here. The department is also on Twitter.
It would be nice if reporters understood the law as well so that they wouldn't reprint incorrect information.

kvrdave 07-07-15 07:12 PM

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop...er-pieces-sht/

Fortunately, for those who think that is a biased site (and I would agree), the video is at the bottom so you can judge for yourself.

Cop Caught on Video Threatening to Kill Innocent Boy, Call Him and His Mother Pieces of Sh*t

Dallas, TX — A Dallas SWAT officer was caught on camera threatening to break a young boy’s neck while calling him and his mother pieces of sh*t.

This stand-up cop, Terigi Rossi, was regularly featured on the TV Show, Dallas SWAT. Ironically enough, this cop had no idea he was ‘on TV’ while assaulting and threatening a woman and child.

Rossi was demoted from SWAT in 2013 after he was found asleep on the job. Since then, he’s been on the regular beat and has taken to the streets to abuse women and children.

In October 2014, a woman called 9-1-1 because her car had been towed from her apartment complex. The woman thought the call was over, so she hung up the phone. However, police considered this a 9-1-1 hang up and sent Rossi and his partner Cpl Stacy Ward to investigate.

When they showed up, Ward was cordial while Rossi seemingly treated the situation like a SWAT raid.

When the woman answered the door, she explained to the officers that she thought the call was over, so she hung up and that there was no problem.

According to his police report, Rossi said the woman became combative and was banging on the door, so he placed her under arrest. However, Rossi’s partner, Ward’s account says the exact opposite, and that the woman was not combative or violent in any way.

After seeing his stepmother taken from her house and handcuffed, the young boy, with the highest level of respect, went to ask the officer why she was being arrested.

“Don’t look at her. Look at me, cause then I’ll take you downtown, then you gotta talk, then you’re gonna go to foster care. Okay. I need to know what happened here because right now, she’s going to jail,” says Rossi, which later turns out to be nothing but lies.

“For doing what?” asks the boy.

“For not listening to me.You can act like a tough guy all you want. Okay, she’s going to jail no matter what,” lies Rossi again.

“I said nothing happened,” says the teen.

At this point, the upstanding officer walks over to the young boy, grabs him around the neck and says, “If I were you, son, I would shut the f**k up. Because I will break your f**king Neck. You understand me?”

According to WFAA, in his statement to internal investigators, Rossi said he was using “verbal judo” to try to get information from the teen. He said that telling him he would break his neck was a “verbal technique that I’ve used to try to calm down people or suspects in my career with no intention of ever meaning the words I say.”

What kind of sick and demented person thinks that threatening to kill someone would “calm them down”?

But it doesn’t stop there. In another attempt to “calm the boy and his stepmother down” Rossi called them pieces of sh*t.

After threating to kill the boy, Rossi then tells him to “Get the f*ck over here. Listen to me. You’re just like your mother. You’re a piece of f**king sh*t! You little sh*t!”

Naturally, being threatened with death and having been insulted by a person who claims to protect you, was stressful to this young man. He began to cry.

In his report, Rossi mentioned that the boy started crying, but conveniently left out the reason why. Rossi even had the audacity to say that he tried to “console” the boy!

After Rossi had assaulted a woman and a young boy, the incident was over. No one was arrested and no one was cited. The entire show was simply the product of an aggressive “hero” on a power trip.

Don’t fret, however, Rossi was in fact “punished” for threatening to kill this young boy. Last month he received a three-day paid vacation. He’s now back on the streets, likely looking for new women and children to threaten and harass.
edit: In case it wasn't clear, the video is on the site at the bottom.

Dave99 07-07-15 07:23 PM

I'm sure his whole 3 days off taught him a valuable lesson in humility and how to treat kids with dignity.

Oh, and to check for video devices before being a complete & utter douche-bag.

inri222 07-08-15 09:16 AM

FBI Reviewing Police Shooting of Florida Man Jermaine McBean

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...mcbean-n388571

inri222 07-08-15 09:23 AM

Daryle Holloway Investigation Leads to Arrest of Officer Wardell Johnson

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ohnson-n387836

EddieMoney 07-08-15 09:30 AM

Terigi Rossi is gangsta as fuck!!

Kinda looks and sounds like a long lost Baldwin brother.

inri222 07-08-15 12:34 PM

Police insider said Chicago detective beat confession from rape suspect
Man freed after serving 11.5 years for being wrongly convicted in a 2002 case of an alleged rape

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...ry.html#page=1

kvrdave 07-09-15 09:42 AM

http://nypost.com/2015/07/08/nypd-co...onths-resigns/

‘Little Miss Dangerous’ cop resigns after third arrest

Little Miss Dangerous has resigned.

Disgraced NYPD cop Stacey Staniland quit the force just one day after she was arrested last week — the third time she was collared in eight months, police sources said Wednesday.

Staniland was nabbed most recently July 1 after she rammed her motorcycle into two cars in the West New Brighton section of Staten Island, cops said.

Wearing a helmet that read “Little Miss Dangerous,” the troubled cop was turning her Honda CBR600RR from Davis Avenue onto Henderson Avenue just after 11 a.m.

She allegedly spun out and smashed into the vehicles at a red light, sources said.

But police made a shocking discovery as she sifted through her purse to pull out ID when they spotted needles, a silver spoon and drug residue, sources said.

She resigned on July 2, a day after the arrest, police sources said. She was suspended three times, once for each arrest.

The not-so-Finest’s first run-in with the law was in December 2014 while she was working at the 122nd Precinct in New Dorp.

She was busted for allegedly breaking into the home of her boyfriend’s mother in Elm Park, where she swiped jewelry, sources said.

She was arrested again in May while her criminal case was still open when police discovered she was doped up on duty at a police facility in Brooklyn, cops said.

Staniland was charged with possession of a hypodermic instrument and criminal possession of a controlled substance in that case, police said.

She still faces charges for possession of a hypodermic instrument and criminal possession of a controlled substance from her latest arrest, according to police.

Staniland earned $94,153 in 2014.
I assume that she wasn't fired simply because she hadn't been found guilty of anything yet, but it seems like she should be suspended from the first arrest until the trial is over.

inri222 07-09-15 03:37 PM

Man sues Meriden police, alleges videos show brutality

http://wtnh.com/2015/07/08/man-sues-...how-brutality/

inri222 07-10-15 08:33 AM

Police-Brutality Suit Hinges On Video Showing Cop Striking Man At Block Party

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/07/...t-block-party/

kvrdave 07-11-15 11:10 AM

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/bod...-now-assaults/

Body Cam: Man Asks Cop Why He’s on his Property, Cop Says “It’s My Property Now” and Assaults Him

Orange, TX — An infuriating police interaction was captured on an officer’s body cam this week after a man simply questioned why the officer was on his property.

The exchange began as officer Dylan Mulhollan had pulled over a cyclist for a missing reflector who then pulled onto the lawn of Ronald Warnell.

Warnell had come out of his house to see why a police officer was in his yard and he was immediately treated with disrespect, as if Mulhollan was in a warzone or dealing with an armed perp.

“Sir, can you back up please?” exclaimed Mulhollan.

“Hold on, man; you are on my property now,” asserted Warnell.

“No, no. It’s my property right now,” says Mulhollan.

“It’s not your property; you need to get your laws straight, brother,” says Warnell in an attempt to make sure this officer can’t go around claiming the right to other people’s property.

At this point, Mulhollan becomes seemingly frustrated that Warnell is asserting his rights as a property owner and refusing to cower to his authority.

The two exchange a few more words before Mulhollan attempts to deprive Warnell of his freedom for, ironically, practicing his freedom.

“All of a sudden, he just bum-rushed and knocked me down, and almost hit my head, and started wailing on me,” Warnell said.

According to WFAA,

"In a letter obtained by News, 8 Mulhollan’s supervisor, Capt. C.A. Stephenson, said the officer was out of line and should have calmly dealt with Warnell."

“An officer should be expected to communicate with citizens without seeing every citizen being as a criminal or a threat,” Stephenson wrote.

Unfortunately, however, police usually do treat civilians as a threat the majority of the time. Their training actually dictates it.

Another particularly disturbing facet to this interaction was that Mulhollan was so out of control, he did not care that this incident was being recorded. He also knows, just like everyone else, that he will most likely not be fired for his actions.
The video is in the link at the top. I also included one other link that was in the story. An officer should be expected to communicate with citizens without seeing every citizen being as a criminal or a threat. That is a great line by the captain.

kvrdave 07-11-15 11:24 AM

This is an odd one, and a bit a boring one to watch after the first few minutes. Story here. Short article. Essentially a guy is openly caring a rifle in Houston where it is legal to do so. Cop pulls over and tells the guy that he isn't being arrested or detained, so the guy goes about his way. Cop drives up to where he was going and then decides to detain him while taking out his assault weapon. So it appears he was actually detained for not staying where he was when he wasn't being detained.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v-MyFH6EfAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JimRochester 07-11-15 11:31 AM

This has some good points. Their training does teach everyone to be a potential threat. Only because they are. All too often the guy that's cooperating suddenly turns violent, or the abused wife has a fit when you are actually going to arrest her husband instead of just making him stop hitting her. That does not give them permission to act like this. But that is how they are trained. You've seen it on TV shows, but it represents real training. Police clear a room ignoring the innocent looking white girl with nerd glasses sitting in a chair, only to have her pull out a gun when they let their guard down.

It is interesting that whether its idiots posting their own crimes on facebook, or cops with a body camera, people apparently do not change their actions knowing their actions will be seen.

I would disagree he wouldn't be fired. If no one saw it sure, but that isn't the case. It is a very delicate pendulum, an officer needs certain protection in order to their job, obviously too many abuse that protection. But in the areas where the controversial deaths have occurred, whether real or imagined, the police don't feel the chief's or mayors will have their backs. They are now doing only the most necessary calls resulting in higher crime in every one of those affected areas.

covenant 07-11-15 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 12530862)
http://nypost.com/2015/07/08/nypd-co...onths-resigns/

I assume that she wasn't fired simply because she hadn't been found guilty of anything yet, but it seems like she should be suspended from the first arrest until the trial is over.

http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/wp...-3-200x200.jpg

I say we let her go...

kvrdave 07-11-15 02:47 PM

Nevermind. Not guilty.

JimRochester 07-11-15 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by covenant (Post 12532832)

I am willing to have her released to my custody until the judicial process plays out.

DVD Polizei 07-11-15 04:10 PM

She's definitely busted. :up:

kvrdave 07-11-15 04:12 PM

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015.../poli-j11.html

Cell phone footage was released on Wednesday showing the savage beating by Philadelphia police of unarmed 22-year-old Tyree Carroll. The Philadelphia Police Department (PDP) has opened an internal affairs investigation into the violent arrest, which occurred in early April, only after proof of the beating appeared online.

The video, which has already been viewed over 100,000 times, shows multiple officers repeatedly punching and kicking the African American youth, and beating him with nightsticks, while continually taunting him verbally. Despite the fact that the filming is taking place roughly a block away from the incident, Carroll can be heard clearly screaming in pain throughout.

Shortly after the first group of officers began beating Carroll, multiple backup patrol cars swarm the scene. When the first backup car arrives, an officer immediately exits the patrol car and approaches the pile of officers crushing Carroll, yelling “You're getting the f**king Tazer, here I come!” Another officer repeatedly calls Carroll a “piece of sh*t,” while multiple officers refer to him as “motherfu**er.”

Soon over a dozen officers are surrounding Carroll, who can be heard crying for his grandmother to come to the door, as she lives on the block where the beating took place.

In total, the video shows the officers punching and kicking Carroll dozens of times, and witnesses claim that officers tazed him 4 or 5 times. Witnesses counted as many as 26 officers and 11 police cars at the scene.

The video is strongly reminiscent of the footage of police beating Rodney King in 1991, which set off the 1992 Los Angeles riots following the acquittal of all four officers involved.

According to a police spokesman, none of the officers involved with the incident have been reassigned or taken off patrol duty.

Carroll, however, has been charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, resisting arrest and several drug charges stemming from a small amount of crack cocaine allegedly found on his person. His case has been ordered to go to trial. Carroll is still in jail, and the family’s attorney claims that he is still experiencing pain from the beating.

Carroll was initially stopped just before midnight on April 3 by four plainclothes officers for allegedly riding his bike in the wrong direction on a one-way street. The arresting officer, John Ellis of the PDP narcotics division, alleges that he saw Carroll approach a drug transaction between two other men, but did not see Carroll make any exchange with the men.

Ellis and another officer who testified at Caroll’s preliminary hearing claim that they punched Carroll and hit him with billy clubs, but denied kicking or tasering him. Once again, the truth of police brutality was only brought to light due to the fact that it happened to be caught on tape.

The PDP is one of the most brutal police departments in the US, as documented in a Justice Department report released in March which found that there was an average of one police shooting each week in the city over the past eight years. Like other similar reports issued by the Obama administration, the report on the PDP did not seek any accountability for these crimes.

In 1985, PDP garnered the distinction of being the first police department in the US to carry out an aerial bombing assault on its own citizens. While targeting the Black Nationalist MOVE organization, the bombing killed 11 people and destroyed 250 homes.

This happened on July 8th. The video isn't all that good, to be honest. You can see a few cops with a guy on the ground. You see a lot more cops show up. You see a veritable dog pile on him.

But that last fucking paragraph.....What. The. Fuck?

Crocker Jarmen 07-11-15 04:42 PM

PBS documentary about it

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8eHpRjxk7N4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JimRochester 07-11-15 05:51 PM

Have you ever been to some of those Philadelphia neighborhoods? That's the only way to go in there, drop bombs first

Troy Stiffler 07-11-15 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 12528261)
I don't think of this as cops behaving badly. They got a bad tip.

They're really grundle'd that one.

Living Dead 07-12-15 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 12532751)
This is an odd one, and a bit a boring one to watch after the first few minutes. Story here. Short article. Essentially a guy is openly caring a rifle in Houston where it is legal to do so. Cop pulls over and tells the guy that he isn't being arrested or detained, so the guy goes about his way. Cop drives up to where he was going and then decides to detain him while taking out his assault weapon. So it appears he was actually detained for not staying where he was when he wasn't being detained.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v-MyFH6EfAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just another "sovereign citizen" idiot. These people make my head hurt.

kvrdave 07-13-15 10:43 AM

Agreed. Doesn't he recognize he doesn't have the freedom the constitution guarantees? ;)