DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   NDAA and SOPA (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/597412-ndaa-sopa.html)

mhg83 12-16-11 07:42 PM

NDAA and SOPA

I've heard of SOPA in recent months but really didn't pay much attention to it. But after reading this article it sounds like the end of freedom of the internet and big brother watching over us:

NDAA Set To Become Law: The Terror Is Nearer Than Ever

It turns out that destroying the American democratic republic was easy to accomplish, historians will write someday. Simply get the three major cable news networks to blather on about useless bull**** for a few days, while legislators meet in secret behind closed doors to rush through the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 (NDAA), and its evil twin sister, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), which is a clever name for an Internet censorship bill straight out of an Orwellian nightmare.

Sure, some independent media web sites and Jon Stewart warned us about this. Ron Paul & Son warned us about this. Amnesty International and the ACLU have been screaming from the rooftops, crying bloody murder. But the American people let it happen, because the vast majority of us simply didn't find out in time.

And now President Obama's advisers are saying he is withdrawing his veto threat against NDAA, so it will become law.

As will SOPA, since it is becoming ever more apparent that our "elected officials" in Congress are not satisfied with their 9% approval rating. They want a 0% approval rating.

I have no idea why Congress is pushing through anti-American legislation that is not only incompetent, but openly belligerent.

I have no idea why an American media blackout on NDAA is still in effect -- Anderson Cooper, Chris Matthews, Bill O'Reilly and the other broadcast "journalists" have been disgustingly silent on what is undoubtedly the most important news story of the past decade. The single most important news story since September 11th, 2001.

Combined, NDAA and SOPA simply destroy American democracy. That isn't hype. That isn't exaggeration. Within a few days, your freedom of speech will be gone -- post something controversial online, and the government can legally "disappear" it.

Annoy the government too much, or criticize Congress' infinite wisdom and mercy, and you may find yourself in military prison for the remainder of your life, without access to a trial or attorney. Even if you're an American citizen on US soil.

This is a brave new world. Watch what you say. Be mindful of who you associate with. You may criticize your government within the privacy of your own home, amongst close family or friends, but do not post negative comments online. Do not assemble. Do not protest. Do not agitate. Do not give "comfort" to the "enemy."

This is a sad day for all of us. All of our military spending, all of our fortresses and moats, and it turns out democracy was attacked from within, the historians will write someday. We didn't even see it coming.

I don't write articles every day, but when I do, they are on subjects you should know about. You can follow me on Google+ to see my newest posts and keep in touch.

Please follow Business Insider on Twitter and Facebook

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ndaa-...#ixzz1gkgrSFFz

Dr Mabuse 12-17-11 05:00 PM

Re: NDAA and SOPA

No one even knows it's happening for the most part.

...not with a bang, but a whimper.

"How then shall we perform it? At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it? Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest, with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not by force take a drink from the Ohio or make a track on the Blue Ridge in a trial of a thousand years.

At what point, then, is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, If it ever reach us it must spring up amongst us; it cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time, or die by suicide. " - Abraham Lincoln, 1838

Bandoman 12-17-11 07:02 PM

This is bad. Really, really bad.

Josh-da-man 12-18-11 12:52 AM

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I have a feeling that the endgame here is turn the internet into nothing but a tightly regulated community consisting of little more than a bunch of apps. No more websites, no more browsers, just buttons on a desktop for Facebook, Twitter, Hulu, iTunes, Amazon, eBay, Salon, CNN, etc. An internet of nothing but corporate-controlled content. And SOPA is the first step to doing that.

I wonder how google feels about that -- such an internet would effectively destroy them. Except, maybe, for gmail.

Josh-da-man 12-18-11 01:37 AM

Still, it's pretty impressive that our government is poised to destroy the First, Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Amendments of the Bill of Rights in the span of one week.

Merry Christmas!

Superboy 12-18-11 01:58 AM

You mean the guy who got 25 years for accidentally hitting a plane with his laser pointer didn't tip you off that our country is fucked up?

edit to add: apparently, he got 2 years probation as a reduced sentence.

RoyalTea 12-18-11 06:37 AM

Government is simply the name we give to the things we choose to do together.

sracer 12-18-11 07:53 AM

This is a prime example of what happens when citizens let others do their thinking for them.

JasonF 12-18-11 10:19 AM

I agree that SOPA is a terrible law. Though I think the goal of going after illegal torrent sites (for example) is a legitimate one, SOPA is like trying to smash a fly in a china shop with a sledgehammer instead of a fly swatter. I'm going to call my Congressional representation tomorrow to tell them I oppose the bill -- as I assume you have all done, right?

Dr Mabuse 12-18-11 10:53 AM

The least affected sites on the internet will be torrent sites. Just to make that clear, they will be fine.

This has little to do with piracy. That's just the propaganda bandied about and being discussed in these theatrical show hearings.

kvrdave 12-18-11 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 11046454)
I agree that SOPA is a terrible law. Though I think the goal of going after illegal torrent sites (for example) is a legitimate one, SOPA is like trying to smash a fly in a china shop with a sledgehammer instead of a fly swatter. I'm going to call my Congressional representation tomorrow to tell them I oppose the bill -- as I assume you have all done, right?

I have.
They are considering having me detained without charges or a trial as a domestic terrorist.

crazyronin 12-18-11 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 11046530)
They are considering having me detained without charges or a trial as a domestic terrorist.

Finally somthing everyone on the forum can agree upon.

Superboy 12-18-11 01:57 PM

Aw, this forum cracks me up. When you see students protesting inequality get hosed down with mace, the only thing you can think about is the inconvenience of spending tax dollars to buy more replacement mace. Don't you see what the point of this law is? it's to make maintaining law and order more convenient. Rights apparently take a backseat to maintaining law and order.

I should warn you that calling your Congressman isn't going to work. A nice gesture to show you care, but ultimately a futile one. They already sold you guys out long ago, and not voting for them doesn't mean shit, because the person who's going to replace them is only going to be the same or worse.

Just a question for anyone who thought "maybe the occupy movement shouldn't have trespassed? how would you feel if someone parked themselves on your front porch all day?", I ask, "how would you feel if someone stole your life's work, something you spent years, if not decades producing with blood sweat and tears, only to helplessly watch it be effortlessly reproduced and distributed?" you'd probably want to do something about it wouldn't you. Well this is the answer. If you can't play nice with your toys, you're going to get them taken away. If having freedom means someone else's is compromised, you're going to get your's taken away.

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 11046454)

A very strongly worded letter to Al Queda will certainly prevent terrorism.

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 11046530)
I have.

They've got mace waiting for you and anyone else who disagrees with this law. Enjoy.

RoyalTea 12-18-11 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Superboy (Post 11046671)
I ask, "how would you feel if someone stole your life's work, something you spent years, if not decades producing with blood sweat and tears, only to helplessly watch it be effortlessly reproduced and distributed?" you'd probably want to do something about it wouldn't you.

How will SOPA "do something" to stop piracy?

Superboy 12-18-11 02:55 PM

the same way it stops any criminal from committing the act again: imprisonment?

Sean O'Hara 12-18-11 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Superboy (Post 11046671)
Just a question for anyone who thought "maybe the occupy movement shouldn't have trespassed? how would you feel if someone parked themselves on your front porch all day?", I ask, "how would you feel if someone stole your life's work, something you spent years, if not decades producing with blood sweat and tears, only to helplessly watch it be effortlessly reproduced and distributed?" you'd probably want to do something about it wouldn't you.

No. All content I create is Creative Commons.

Well this is the answer. If you can't play nice with your toys, you're going to get them taken away. If having freedom means someone else's is compromised, you're going to get your's taken away.
Copyright isn't a freedom; it's a limited monopoly granted by the government for a specific purpose laid out in the Constitution.

kvrdave 12-19-11 01:00 AM

Well, let's be honest. If people really cared about this, even if he couldn't override a veto, Ron Paul would be elected President. I predict that we will see that people don't actually care about this.

Superboy 12-19-11 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 11047502)
Well, let's be honest. If people really cared about this, even if he couldn't override a veto, Ron Paul would be elected President.

Actually if that were true, Ron Paul wouldn't be the only sensible candidate in a field of morons who harp on and on about the evils of the gays.

Superboy 12-19-11 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 11046715)
How will SOPA "do something" to stop piracy?

Haven't you learned ANYTHING from the war on drugs?

Or the war on terror?

or our immigration policy?

spainlinx0 12-19-11 07:27 AM

Perhaps a dumb question on my part, but can the Supreme Court overturn this?

CRM114 12-19-11 08:24 AM

:lol: at the politicians who still think they can STILL stop "internet piracy."

Tracer Bullet 12-19-11 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 11047624)

Yes, of course they can. Would they? I don't know.

arminius 12-19-11 08:30 AM

I have to agree with other posters who have said this has nothing to do with piracy, just control.

sracer 12-19-11 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11047661)
:lol: at the politicians who still think they can STILL stop "internet piracy."

:( for people who think that this is about politicians thinking they can stop internet piracy.

Deadman31 12-19-11 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 11047624)

maybe, but I am pretty sure they are bought and paid for so probably not.