Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

NDAA and SOPA

Old 12-19-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NDAA and SOPA

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
for people who think that this is about politicians thinking they can stop internet piracy.
Stop Online Piracy Act

Old 12-19-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, so the Patriot Act is about being patriotic.
Old 12-19-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Stop Online Piracy Act

That just shows how deep the conspiracy goes! SOPAdation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.
Old 12-19-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Ah, so the Patriot Act is about being patriotic.

It must be! That's the title after all...

For thousands of years, wise men have known to judge a book only by its cover.
Old 12-19-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
for people who think that this is about politicians thinking they can stop internet piracy.
Sure we can.

All we have to do is find the pirates (it's shockingly easy, actually), imprison them indefinitely without trial (easier now than ever), or failing that, we can torture them.

It's worked wonders in the war on terror and our illegal immigration enforcement.
Old 12-19-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I'm missing something. Am I supposed to be wearing my tinfoil hat right now?
Old 12-19-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course not...

Everything in life is exactly what it appears to be on the surface. Only 'tinfoil hat' wearing conspiracy theorists think otherwise.
Old 12-19-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, so it IS a conspiracy!

And you are near Area 51 too. OK, now's it's all clicking. There wouldn't happen to be any....um, shhhhh...FEMA camps near you?
Old 12-19-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Insightful stuff CRM, as usual.
Old 12-19-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I guess I'm missing something. Am I supposed to be wearing my tinfoil hat right now?
As Google and other groups have pointed out, it essentially gives the government the same control over the internet that China enjoys.
Old 12-19-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As Google and other groups have pointed out, it essentially gives the government the same control over the internet that China enjoys.
Don't be ridiculous kvr...

It's to stop online piracy just like the name says!

I remember when we were discussing 'enhanced interrogation techniques' here... there were these loonies in tinfoil hats who lived near Area 51 claiming it was actually something else.

But CRM is no conspiracy theorist! He set them straight! If it's called 'interrogation' by officials, then by golly it was interrogation that was slightly enhanced in his book. Just like the government called it. He doesn't wear any tinfoil hats about stuff like that.

Old 12-19-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obama's the president, so no.
Old 12-19-11, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Sure we can.

All we have to do is find the pirates (it's shockingly easy, actually), imprison them indefinitely without trial (easier now than ever), or failing that, we can torture them.

It's worked wonders in the war on terror and our illegal immigration enforcement.
Pretty empty the bitching coming from people who have supported this shit for the last 10 years. It is shocking, shocking I say, that the government would eventually expand these measures to citizens. No one could have seen that coming.
Old 12-20-11, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone has a better plan for stopping internet piracy, i'm all ears.
Old 12-20-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

FEMA camps.
Old 12-20-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the combined might of the world's governments have been thus far unable to stop piracy (both in the avast matey sense and the I'll just make a knockoff of these Ralph Lauren shirts and sell them over here sense), why would you think any one government would be able to do anything to stop piracy on the internet. Stopping piracy as a goal is as likely as stopping meanness on the internet.
Old 12-20-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the only way to stop content from being copied illegally is to stop creating content. Once the content is created and converted into 0s and 1s, nothing can be done.
Old 12-20-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why are you talking about content and copyright? This is a black hole button people!

FEMA camps!!
Old 12-20-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm going to call my Congressional representation tomorrow to tell them I oppose the bill -- as I assume you have all done, right?
Here's my canned response:

Thank you for contacting me about intellectual property rights. I appreciate hearing your opinion on this important issue.

Internet innovation and commerce accounted for 15 percent of our nation's economic growth over the past five years. Before imposing new regulations, we must carefully consider the potential impact on such a vital economic engine.

I understand your concerns about the importance of protecting intellectual property without harming free speech, innovation, or creativity. This is a delicate balance to strike and I am committed to ensuring no Americans' rights or freedoms are infringed upon. I believe that a consensus on the issue between the content and technology industries is achievable.

There are several bills before Congress pertaining to the regulation of internet website content and intellectual property rights. The Stop Online Piracy Act (H.R. 3261) and a similar bill, the Protect Intellectual Property Act (S. 968), have both been referred to committees on which I do not sit. However, I will keep your letter in mind should either bill come to the House floor for a vote.

Again, thank you for reaching out to me and I hope you will continue to do so about issues of concern to you. In the future, please feel free to visit my web site at http://www.house.gov/johnlewis for more information on legislation that interests you.

Sincerely,

John Lewis
Member of Congress
Old 12-20-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Same with the war on drugs. It's why I favor cameras in every home. If you have a better idea, let's hear it.
Old 12-20-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread would be very confusing to a newcomer here.
Old 12-20-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

It makes me wonder, is "stopping internet piracy" even important? Who really cares? Rather than stop piracy maybe the world needs to change in regard to how we value content.

Music for example. It's pretty much already happened, but not to long from now I think all recorded music will be free. Musicians will not earn any money for recording their music. Music content won't be a product, it will just be a free promotional tool to generate interest in the musician who will then earn money by performing live and selling tickets, selling T-shirts, etc.
Old 12-20-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I think the only way to stop content from being copied illegally is to stop creating content. Once the content is created and converted into 0s and 1s, nothing can be done.
This is true.

The internet represents a post-scarcity economy, where you basically reproduce and transfer information at will. Any information, bet it words, pictures, audio, or video can be sent to anyone in mere seconds.

Outside of shutting down the internet or crippling hardware and software with draconian digital rights management schemes, there's really nothing that can be done about it.
Old 12-20-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
It makes me wonder, is "stopping internet piracy" even important? Who really cares? Rather than stop piracy maybe the world needs to change in regard to how we value content.

Music for example. It's pretty much already happened, but not to long from now I think all recorded music will be free. Musicians will not earn any money for recording their music. Music content won't be a product, it will just be a free promotional tool to generate interest in the musician who will then earn money by performing live and selling tickets, selling T-shirts, etc.
Why must a musician perform live to make money?

The Beatles would have made no money after 1966?

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
This is true.

The internet represents a post-scarcity economy, where you basically reproduce and transfer information at will. Any information, bet it words, pictures, audio, or video can be sent to anyone in mere seconds.

Outside of shutting down the internet or crippling hardware and software with draconian digital rights management schemes, there's really nothing that can be done about it.
Right. The only solution is to offer hard goods with a value. On the electronic side, make all albums $3.99 like Amazon does so the hassle of pirating outweighs the ease of just buying it.
Old 12-20-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
If the combined might of the world's governments have been thus far unable to stop piracy (both in the avast matey sense and the I'll just make a knockoff of these Ralph Lauren shirts and sell them over here sense), why would you think any one government would be able to do anything to stop piracy on the internet. Stopping piracy as a goal is as likely as stopping meanness on the internet.
Actually, South Korea takes internet bullying very seriously, and is quite adept at prosecuting offenders. But it's not easy stopping internet piracy, and that's why we need SOPA to do this. It's like how the PATRIOT act suddenly allowed us to fight terrorism.

Same with the war on drugs. It's why I favor cameras in every home. If you have a better idea, let's hear it.
Is the main problem you have with the war on drugs the execution of it, or rather, your opinion on the morality of the war on drugs and drug use itself?

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
It makes me wonder, is "stopping internet piracy" even important? Who really cares?
The people who own the content that is being illegally distributed?

Rather than stop piracy maybe the world needs to change in regard to how we value content.
Tried that, didn't work.

There have been vocal posts on this forum regarding this issue, that i've seen elsewhere as well, that music companies "gouging" buyers with overpriced, padded albums is what led to the rise in piracy. Well now that we have an model that is much more suited to the consumer at better prices with better selection, where users don't have to buy an entire album or an overpriced single just to hear one song, and it was a success, but did nothing to stop piracy.

Do you think people should be able to squat in homes that have either been abandoned or clearly cannot be sold in an oversaturated market? after all, there's no real opportunity cost to the seller if the home ultimately goes unsold. They just end up demolishing them anyway, so it's not as if tenants destroying the home is going to change anything.

Last edited by Superboy; 12-20-11 at 03:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.