Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

NDAA and SOPA

Old 01-08-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NDAA and SOPA

Don't worry. I wrote my Congressman and I plan to vote out the incumbents the next season. That'll turn this around.
Old 01-11-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Colbert has been reading my posts:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...d---catch-2012

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:405274" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/405274/january-05-2012/the-word---catch-2012">The Colbert Report</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/'>Colbert Report Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/video'>Video Archive</a></p></div></div>
Old 01-12-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SOPA author is a copyright violator:

http://www.vice.com/read/lamar-smith...pyright-whoops
Old 01-12-12, 06:55 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post

The good news is under the new law his website can be shut down, or completely blocked from anyone having to see it. And hopefully he'll go to jail.
Old 01-12-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It'd be hilarious if true, but the evidence is less than compelling. And the author's statement that nobody on the web pays for stock photos is completely idiotic -- sure, I don't bother with copyright if I'm posting a funny pic to the random photo thread, but if I'm doing something for commercial purposes, you bet I go through Shutterstock.
Old 01-13-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
It'd be hilarious if true, but the evidence is less than compelling. And the author's statement that nobody on the web pays for stock photos is completely idiotic -- sure, I don't bother with copyright if I'm posting a funny pic to the random photo thread, but if I'm doing something for commercial purposes, you bet I go through Shutterstock.
I think a lot of people assume all creative common license material is free to use in any manner. I can see how people could get tripped up on this.
Old 01-13-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's nice to see that again, Congress has put aside its differences and are working together on this.

Americans must really want this, otherwise it wouldn't pass!
Old 01-13-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...ck-down/47425/

SOPA's Architect Is Finally Starting to Back Down

Less than 24-hours after promising not to yield, the Texas congressman and author of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) Lamar Smith is yielding on the bill's controversial language that would allow the government to censor the Internet -- for now. "After consultation with industry groups across the country, I feel we should remove Domain Name System blocking from the Stop Online Piracy Act so that the [Judiciary] Committee can further examine the issues surrounding this provision," Smith said in a Friday afternoon press release. "We will continue to look for ways to ensure that foreign websites cannot sell and distribute illegal content to U.S. consumers."

First of all, three cheers for the Internet. (That's an evergreen sort of thing to say, but we're pretty sure the Internet is collectively cheering the new.) Second of all, it's still not time for civil rights types to start popping corks. The bill is not dead. As Chairman Smith says, the Judiciary Committee is only pumping the brakes on the progress of the bill, while Internet experts can properly study the implications of censoring the web by using DNS blocking. This is weird because pretty much every Internet expert in the country has unabashedly condemned SOPA's domain-blocking measures and, well, the entire bill. But it is certainly a little victory for the tens if not hundreds of thousands of freedom advocates who've been protesting the bill for months. If anything, it's a major, frankly embarrassing loss for Smith. Now, he not only looks like a hypocrite, he also looks like a waffler. Americans have a tendency not to (re-)elect wafflers.

Oh, and if you think that the attacks on SOPA's supporters, past and present, are going to end, think again. Anonymous has declared war on the media executives from Viacom, Disney and other organizations that have pushed the bill, opposed Occupy Wall Street, blocked WikiLeaks and pretty much anything else that's annoyed Anonymous in the past year or so. Since January 1, they've been pumping the internet full of personal details they've hacked from the files of everyone from Michael Bloomberg to Time Warner chief Jeffrey L. Bewkes, and of course, they've promised destruction. They're calling the project Operation Hiroshima.
Good.
Old 01-15-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

<a href="http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=778a05084c3d466ede34834b733fac57">Obama Opposes Parts of 2 Antipiracy Bills</a><div class="lastUpdated">Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:20 AM</div></h3><div xml:base="http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/HomePage" class="feedEntryContent">The Obama administration said it would not support central elements of efforts in Congress to enforce copyrights on the Internet, all but killing the current versions of the legislation.<br clear="all" xml:base="http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/HomePage"/>
Google wins?
Old 01-15-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
<a href="http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=778a05084c3d466ede34834b733fac57">Obama Opposes Parts of 2 Antipiracy Bills</a><div class="lastUpdated">Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:20 AM</div></h3><div xml:base="http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/HomePage" class="feedEntryContent">The Obama administration said it would not support central elements of efforts in Congress to enforce copyrights on the Internet, all but killing the current versions of the legislation.<br clear="all" xml:base="http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/HomePage"/>
Google wins?
He said the same thing about NDAA then signed it into law.
Old 01-15-12, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, I'd expect another "I'm signing this law, reluctantly, because I think it is terrible and destroys the most important values and traditions this country has. I'm giving the federal government this new power, but I *promise* that my administration will never use it."
Old 01-15-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How does anyone still entertain the belief that there are any fundamental differences between the parties. The small cosmetic differences to imply choice are falling away more each year. Soon, maybe we won't need two parties anymore as the perfect party will result from a rapprochement between the existing ones. But then again the facade of conflict may be better than a single party. You get to root for your side and can always wait until next year.
Old 01-15-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In an effective democracy, Hotelling's Law dictates that there shouldn't be any major differences between the political parties unless there is some major disequilibrium in the political field, such as a batshit crazy President.

Last edited by Superboy; 01-15-12 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-15-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
How does anyone still entertain the belief that there are any fundamental differences between the parties. The small cosmetic differences to imply choice are falling away more each year. Soon, maybe we won't need two parties anymore as the perfect party will result from a rapprochement between the existing ones. But then again the facade of conflict may be better than a single party. You get to root for your side and can always wait until next year.
Pretty much this.
Old 01-15-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Old 01-15-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck, now I want Kool-aid.
Old 01-16-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With a signing statement.
Old 01-16-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The signing statement made things worse, IMHO.

Without a signing statement, we'd never know for sure that he thinks the law is terrible and destroys the most important values and traditions of this country. Other than not signing the bill.

The signing statement shows that Obama can recognize a horrible law, but sign it anyway. Or is that something we should celebrate?
Old 01-16-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Does the signing statement change the efficacy of the law in any way?
Old 01-16-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The signing statement made things worse, IMHO.

Without a signing statement, we'd never know for sure that he thinks the law is terrible and destroys the most important values and traditions of this country. Other than not signing the bill.

The signing statement shows that Obama can recognize a horrible law, but sign it anyway. Or is that something we should celebrate?
I'm not arguing one way or another but giving some context to the discussion. Apparently, we need national defense funding and holding up the bill was not an attractive option. Thus, the signing statement.
Old 01-16-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's okay. Just where exactly in the constitution does it say that terrorists and traitors have the same rights as everyone else?
Old 01-16-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

And goodness knows that go government has ever widened the definition of "terrorist" and "traitor" to include people who are inconvenient or embarrassing to those in power.
Old 01-16-12, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not arguing one way or another but giving some context to the discussion. Apparently, we need national defense funding and holding up the bill was not an attractive option. Thus, the signing statement.
Signing statements are non-binding even to the President who makes them, let alone his successors. He might as well've written an op-ed for USA Today for all the meaning it has.

But, oh, defense funding was in danger -- I guess Lockheed-Martin's bottom line is more important than constitutional rights.
Old 01-16-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Signing statements are non-binding even to the President who makes them, let alone his successors. He might as well've written an op-ed for USA Today for all the meaning it has.

But, oh, defense funding was in danger -- I guess Lockheed-Martin's bottom line is more important than constitutional rights.
Congress writes and passes a bill to fund defense (not just the industrial complex (wait, let me get my bongos)) and the President either a) says fuck off, rewrite it and gets painted by the Repubs as being a yellow bellied liberal weak on defense or b) he signs it saying there's no way in hell I'm going to exercise parts of this bill so you (Congress) should get back to work to figure this out while troops get body armor and food.

But, yes, I know. We have FEMA camps and everyone is going to have to reg....ZZZzzzzzz.......
Old 01-16-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So you're saying instead of being painted as a coward, he is a coward. Good to know.

And you know, this doesn't have to get to the level of FEMA camps to be wrong. All it takes is for the law to be used once in the way it's intended.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.