Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Old 09-03-15, 05:19 PM
  #376  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Well Dick Cheney said that the Iran deal would lead to the apocalypse so of course we should believe him.

Well, maybe not:

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/28/dick..._at_all_costs/
Yeah time flies. Dick must be on meds because we all know it's been years since this deal was passed and Iran has been so tolerant and restrained in their talk about Israel and the US.

Seems like yesterday the deal was affirmed by Congress.

Weird.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-03-15, 05:26 PM
  #377  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
I forget - was his second term nearly five years, or was it the first?
I have no idea.

15 months.

Keep the extra 9, brother.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-06-15, 10:45 PM
  #378  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,765
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Colin Powell backs Iran deal as Congress prepares for a vote at LATimes.com

Explaining the details of the deal on NBC's "Meet the Press," Powell said it would slow Iran's march toward developing the components needed to build a nuclear bomb.

"We have stopped this highway race that we were going down, and I think that's very, very important," Powell said.

"Even if we were to kill this deal, which is not going to happen, it would take effect anyway, because all of these other countries that were in it with us are going to move forward," Powell said. Five other nations -- Britain, Germany, France, Russia and China -- are aligned with the U.S. on the deal.
Ghostbuster is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 09:08 AM
  #379  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 18,966
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Sadly, his complete lack of credibility causes this endorsement to do more harm than good.
Jason is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 01:13 PM
  #380  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by Colin Powell
"Even if we were to kill the deal — which is not going to happen — it's going to take effect anyway, because all of these other countries that were in it with us are going to move forward," he said.
So fucking what if EVERY FUCKING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD GOES ALONG WITH IT.

WE DON'T HAVE TO.

Can the US stand up for anything. A nation of fucking whores and fat fucks.

(no, Solid Snake didn't hack my account)

Yet another politician who just wants to go along with the flow of corruption and money kickbacks.

What a disappointment and a big slap in the face to those who had some respect for Colin Powell. I bet if we look further into Colin Powell, we'll see why he made such a decision. I highly doubt it was based on military tactics.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 02:18 PM
  #381  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,557
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So fucking what if EVERY FUCKING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD GOES ALONG WITH IT.

WE DON'T HAVE TO.
If every other country in the world goes along with it and you don't, it doesn't occur to you that perhaps you're wrong?
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 03:13 PM
  #382  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

No, because you have to look behind why they are going along with it. Are these countries getting paid by the US to go along with the deal? Are they doing this out of simple love for humanity and is Iran really going to be monitored like we've been told?

Time will tell.

Iran's history of hate should be enough to send intelligent people away from the negotiating table.

And it did, come to think of it.

You're saying because everyone else does it, disregard the facts, it's probably the right thing to do. Because hey, everybody is doing it.

Let's go back a few decades to when the IAEA was in charge of yet another nuclear proliferation issue. And their actions. The IAEA spent more time in discussions than actual action.

The same will happen again.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-07-15 at 03:19 PM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 03:43 PM
  #383  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,557
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
You're saying because everyone else does it, disregard the facts, it's probably the right thing to do. Because hey, everybody is doing it.
The facts? Republican opposition of this deal was never based on facts, hell they opposed the deal even before they knew what was in it. "Because Obama!" isn't opposition based on facts.

Do yourself a favor, ignore politicians, and listen to scientists and military/intelligence experts on this issue. Heck, you even have a whole bunch of nuclear scientists/experts, former heads of IDF/Shin Bet/Mossad in Israel who support the deal, granted with reservations, but they support it nonetheless.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 04:05 PM
  #384  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

All I read is...it's better than nothing...high degrees of confidence.

Is that factual? Nope.

It's politics.

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
and listen to scientists and military/intelligence experts on this issue.

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/...ort-iran-deal/

Major-General (res.) Israel Ziv is the former head of the Israeli Army’s Operations Directorate branch and he took a realist’s approach to the deal. “There is no one in Israel who thinks the nuclear agreement is a good agreement, but the discussion should not focus on that..."
Yeah, now THAT sounds soooooo intelligent.

Hi People, I know this isn't good for my country, but we shouldn't focus on those facts....

Come on. This is a bullshit deal, and anyone who is actually for it, is either unrealistically believing a deal somehow prevents a ruthless enemy from acting aggressively and/or there is financial compensation for aligning with this deal. Do we really need to break it down further.

If you had a bully on the block who was terrorizing residents, threatening their lives daily, I'm guessing you'd knock on their door and once it opened, you'd give them a big smile with a big bag of cash in hand. Meanwhile, you'd also know your residents were still being killed and threatened everyday, and that their pursuit of more dangerous weapons was certain.

So, why would you dump a bag of cash on their doorstep if you knew this.

Politics.

Greed.

Payoffs.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-07-15 at 04:14 PM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 04:21 PM
  #385  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
PatD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,700
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

^^
So, we should:

A. Conquer the "bully" and his home and occupy it and hold him at gunpoint til the end of time?
B. Kill the "bully"?

And before you say, put the "bully" in jail--you can't put the entire country of Iran in jail.
PatD is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 04:21 PM
  #386  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,557
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

DVD Polizei is doing his best Grundle impersonation. How about the full quote:

Major-General (res.) Israel Ziv is the former head of the Israeli Army’s Operations Directorate branch and he took a realist’s approach to the deal. “There is no one in Israel who thinks the nuclear agreement is a good agreement, but the discussion should not focus on that,” he wrote in an op-ed for the Israeli news site Ynetnews.com. “Because this agreement is the best among all other alternatives, and any military strike – as successful as it may be – would not have delayed even 20% of what the agreement will delay, not to mention the risk of another flare-up with Hezbollah, which an operation against Iran would have generated. The agreement is an established fact, and it’s not particularly bad as far as Israel is concerned.”
It's not "good", but it's a lot better than no deal.

And, again, there are a bunch of other prominent scientists/military/intelligence experts who support the deal (again, some with reservations).
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 05:00 PM
  #387  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
^^
So, we should:

A. Conquer the "bully" and his home and occupy it and hold him at gunpoint til the end of time?
B. Kill the "bully"?

And before you say, put the "bully" in jail--you can't put the entire country of Iran in jail.
You forgot your option.

C. Suck Bully Cock.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 05:16 PM
  #388  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
PatD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,700
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
You forgot your option.

C. Suck Bully Cock.
So...you don't have a solution besides nuking Iran or conquering and occupying Iran forever?
PatD is offline  
Old 09-07-15, 08:34 PM
  #389  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Oh, I think it's rather obvious Obama and Kerry are on the right track to the best foreign relations agreement in US history.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-08-15, 12:11 AM
  #390  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,765
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
A viable alternative, in this case, is simply go back to what we were doing, and standing up straight with a resolving glare in our eyes.
Bush's strategy involved more or less what you are suggesting, and it failed. Your "idea" is little more than a commercial/slogan.
Ghostbuster is offline  
Old 09-08-15, 09:24 PM
  #391  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,765
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

It looks like Obama won't have to veto a bill. The Senate Democrats can now stop it with the Republicans' favorite tool: the filibuster. As the saying goes, what goes around comes around. Of course, this bill has ZERO CHANCE of becoming law. Obama has already promised to veto the bill. So what difference does it make whether the Democrats filibuster? Why shouldn't they? The Republicans are just trying to raise a big stink and get maximum press coverage.

4 More Senators Back Iran Deal, Assuring Cushion for White House at NYTimes.com
Ghostbuster is offline  
Old 09-08-15, 10:11 PM
  #392  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Bush's strategy involved more or less what you are suggesting, and it failed. Your "idea" is little more than a commercial/slogan.
What strategy are you talking about, and what was this failure.

Talk about slogans? What about:

"It's Better Than No Deal"

Yeah, that's one hell of a strategy.

On a more serious note, are you going to hold Obama, Kerry, and all Democrats (and any Republicans) who vote for this bill responsible for anything Iran does?

As I've said before, we'll just take this one step at a time and watch what Iran does.

And we'll revisit this thread.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-08-15 at 10:17 PM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 06:39 AM
  #393  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,515
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

What, specifically, does the deal allow Iran to do that they are not already doing?
Iran has always done whatever the fuck it wants.
With no deal Iran will do whatever the fuck it wants.
With this deal Iran will do whatever the fuck it wants.
With any deal Iran will do whatever the fuck it wants.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 09:41 AM
  #394  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
The Senate Democrats can now stop it with the Republicans' favorite tool: the filibuster. As the saying goes, what goes around comes around.
Another great old saying is "Principles are for pussies".
dork is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 09:56 AM
  #395  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Earth ....
Posts: 4,689
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Cheney getting called out for his BS on Iran

“You and President Bush, the Bush-Cheney administration, dealt with Iran for eight years,” Chris Wallace, the host of “Fox News Sunday,” pointed out in an interview Sunday. And during that time, the host continued, “Iran went from zero known [nuclear] centrifuges in operation to more than 5,000.”
The Fox News host flashed that data on screen so no one could miss it, and added: “So in fairness, didn’t you leave — the Bush-Cheney administration — leave President Obama with a mess?”

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/dick-chen...foreign-policy

Cheney has been wrong on every single arms control deal
http://jaybookman.blog.ajc.com/2015/...just-remember/
chowderhead is offline  
Old 09-10-15, 05:42 PM
  #396  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,557
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Washington (CNN) - In a significant win for White House, Senate Democrats Thursday blocked a Republican resolution of disapproval of the Iran nuclear deal from going to a final vote.

The vote on the procedural motion to move to a final vote, which needed 60 votes to pass, failed 58 to 42.
.
.
Boehner vowed the fight was just beginning, telling reporters at his weekly press conference, "This is a bad deal with decades-long consequences for the security of the American people and our allies, and we'll use every tool at our disposal to stop, slow and delay this agreement from being fully implemented."
.
.
Nope, you're doing this "because Obama!". You lost, get over it.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-10-15, 06:48 PM
  #397  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Yeah, we sure did lose. Including you.

Israel Will Not Exist 25 Years From Now

Originally Posted by Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
God willing, there will be no such thing as a Zionist regime in 25 years. Until then, struggling, heroic and jihadi morale will leave no moment of serenity for Zionists...
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-10-15, 06:52 PM
  #398  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
What, specifically, does the deal allow Iran to do that they are not already doing?
Iran has always done whatever the fuck it wants.
With no deal Iran will do whatever the fuck it wants.
With this deal Iran will do whatever the fuck it wants.
With any deal Iran will do whatever the fuck it wants.
I don't disagree with this. But why I don't like the deal, is because it gives them 1) a shitload more money from the US, and 2) protects them from immediate action if they go outside their agreement. The best way for a weak country to become strong and use their newly found power in the future, is use the weaknesses of other countries' agreements they have...and stall them, while funneling weapons and negotiating deals that normally would include an instant US military response (i.e., drone attacks on facilities and respective areas). Since they are under the cloak of this agreement, they can take advantage of its protections.

Isn't that enough for you to say to no to the deal? Would be for me.

Let Europe give them free money.

The $100+ million going to Iran could have been used for many other things in the US, starting with the poor and vulnerable.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-10-15 at 06:57 PM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-10-15, 07:27 PM
  #399  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,765
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

We're not giving American money to Iran.

Lew: Iran Not Getting the Full $100 Billion of Frozen Assets at TheFiscalTimes.com

“Let's be clear what those assets are,” Lew told members of the Foreign Relations Committee. “It’s not money we are giving to Iran. It’s Iran money that sits in other countries that was locked up because of international nuclear sanctions that were designed to bring them to the table to negotiate a nuclear agreement.”...

The U.S. in fact has already released billions of dollars to Iran, such as the nearly $3 billion released last summer as a show of good faith during the negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program. However, according to the Congressional Research Service, there is still a substantial amount of money, real estate and other property being held.
Ghostbuster is offline  
Old 09-10-15, 07:34 PM
  #400  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,557
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah, we sure did lose. Including you.

Israel Will Not Exist 25 Years From Now
Political rhetoric to appease the hardliners who hate this deal as much as Bibi and the Republicans.

The $100+ million going to Iran could have been used for many other things in the US, starting with the poor and vulnerable.
Billion not million. However, it's THEIR money (frozen assets). So I don't know how you came to believe that that money could have been spent in the US.
eXcentris is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.