Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Old 07-21-15, 07:20 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: USA / Iran Nuclear Megathread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Here's a fictional account...
...and I'm out.
Old 07-21-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Ah, the world according to eXcentris. When Netanyahu gives a speech saying he's trying to avoid conflict and is only looking to protect Israel, eXcentris just KNOWS he's lying and that he's really looking to start a war. And when Khamenei says "Death to America and Israel," and that he's going to keep funding Islamic terror groups, eXcentris is SURE that he COULDN'T really mean it.
Lying his ass off, yes. Trying to start a war, probably not. So nice try Mr mind reader.

Both Bibi and Khamenei are using political rhetoric for local consumption. Doesn't mean that Iran will stop funding Hamas and Hezbollah or that Israel will not bomb Iran nuclear sites if they feel threatened. Of course they'd try as hard as they can to have the US bite and do it for them.

Last edited by eXcentris; 07-21-15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a fictional account...
So pretty much like most of your other posts
Old 07-23-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

I see where Saudi Arabia is 'gearing' up its nuclear arsenal.
Old 07-23-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah I'm sure Republicans will give them a nice camel pass.
Old 07-24-15, 12:53 PM
Political Exile

The Senate never approved Obama's nuclear deal with Iran, so the deal is unconstitutional:

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

The United States Constitution

The President...

... shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur
Old 07-24-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lack of Senate approval makes the treaty non-binding, not unconstitutional. HINT: Presidents have signed many, many treaties which never made it past Congress, most notably the Treaty of Versailles (which is why we're still able to call sparkling wines champagne).
Old 07-24-15, 08:01 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Lack of Senate approval makes the treaty non-binding, not unconstitutional. HINT: Presidents have signed many, many treaties which never made it past Congress, most notably the Treaty of Versailles (which is why we're still able to call sparkling wines champagne).

Thank you for the clarification.

What is the point of having a treaty that is non-binding?
Old 07-28-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Apparently Iran can do their own inspections instead of IAEA. Taking their own soil samples, for example.

Kerry played stupid and dumb.

Naturally.

What was that about treaties?

Oh yeah. They're more binding.
Old 07-28-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the point of having a treaty that is non-binding?
Diplomacy. Deescalation. Getting your foot in the door. Doing the right thing.
Old 07-28-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No consequences. Wobbling policies. Fake sincerities. Avoiding Democratic procedures.

Yeah it's all good.
Old 07-29-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck yeah! Fuck you, Iran! Fuck you Obama, you pussy!

Old 07-29-15, 07:00 PM
Political Exile

The Iranian official whom Kerry negotiated the "inspections" deal with is the father of the best man from Kerry's daughter's wedding.

It seems to me that this is a huge conflict of interest.

http://allenbwest.com/2015/07/you-wi...hters-wedding/

You will NOT BELIEVE who was best man at John Kerry’s daughter’s wedding

by Michele Hickford

July 28, 2015

You not might be aware that in 2009, the daughter of Secretary of State John Kerry, Dr. Vanessa Bradford Kerry, John Kerry’s younger daughter by his first wife, married an Iranian-American physician named Dr. Brian (Behrooz) Vala Nahed, an Iranian-American physician.

Of course you’re not aware of it.

Brian (Behrooz) Nahed is son of Nooshin and Reza Vala Nahid of Los Angeles. Brian’s Persian birth name is “Behrooz Vala Nahid” but it is now shortened and Americanized in the media to “Brian Nahed.” At the time his engagement to Bradford Kerry, there was rarely any mention of Nahed’s Persian/Iranian ancestry, and even the official wedding announcement in the October 2009 issue of New York Times carefully avoids any reference to Dr. Nahed (Nahid)’s birthplace (which is uncommon in wedding announcements) and starts his biography from his college years.

Gosh, I wonder why??

Gee, do you think Secretary Kerry should have recused himself from the negotiations with Iran at the very outset because of his long-standing relationship to his Iranian counter-part, Mohammad Javad Zarif? Let me explain.

Zarif is the current minister of foreign affairs in the Rouhani administration and has held various significant diplomatic and cabinet posts since the 1990s. He was Kerry’s chief counterpart in the nuclear deal negotiations.

Secretary Kerry and Zarif first met over a decade ago at a dinner party hosted by George Soros at his Manhattan penthouse. What a surprise. I have to say, connecting the dots gets more and more frightening.

But it gets even worse. Guess who was the best man at the 2009 wedding between Kerry’s daughter Vanessa and Behrouz Vala Nahed? Javad Zarif’s son.

Does this bother anyone at all?

Apparently Kerry only revealed his daughter’s marriage to an Iranian-American once he had taken over as Secretary of State. But the subject never came up in his Senate confirmation hearing, either because Kerry never disclosed it, or because his former colleagues were “too polite” to bring it up.

As Front Page Magazine pointed out several months ago, the nuclear talks with Iran were a tragic farce, choreographed and orchestrated by Iran.

And unfortunately, we’re going to have to live with the consequences. At least, I hope we live.
Old 07-29-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't this a plot point in Veep?

But let me get this straight - the father, of the friend, of the husband, of the daughter of Kerry... I have closer relations to people in Africa, and I'm not black, or have I ever been to Africa. This is meaningless, and if anything, it more likely than not, helped with the negotiations.
Old 07-29-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't believe Iran was foolish enough to use as their negotiator a man whose son's best friend's wife's father is the Secretary of State. Given his clear conflict of interest, he must have given away the store to us!
Old 07-29-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I don't see what difference it makes. Kerry was sent there to cave into whatever demands Iran wanted and he did just that. Might as well do it with someone he knows.
Old 07-29-15, 07:49 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Wasn't this a plot point in Veep?

But let me get this straight - the father, of the friend, of the husband, of the daughter of Kerry... I have closer relations to people in Africa, and I'm not black, or have I ever been to Africa. This is meaningless, and if anything, it more likely than not, helped with the negotiations.
It's a huge conflict of interest. Obama should have assigned someone else to the negotiations.
Old 07-29-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a huge conflict of interest. Obama should have assigned someone else to the negotiations.
Who I'm sure you'd have been right on board with...
Old 07-29-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The top general says that the deal will achieve its goals. Republicans with poor logic are upset because it won't achieve other goals.

Top General Gives 'Pragmatic' View of Iran Nuclear Deal at CBSNews.com

While the nuclear agreement with Iran will not stop it from funding organizations the United States considers to be terrorist groups, the pact reduces the chances of a near-term military conflict between the two countries, the top American military leader, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, told Congress on Wednesday...

General Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the nuclear deal did not prevent the United States from striking Iranian facilities if officials decide that Tehran is cheating on the agreement. But if it sticks to the terms of the pact, such a strike — with attendant retaliation — is far less likely, he said.
When Senator Roger Wicker, Republican of Mississippi, accused General Dempsey of “damning” the pact “with faint praise,” the general was again brief.

“First, Senator, I would ask you not to characterize my statement as tepid, nor enthusiastic, but rather pragmatic,” he said. “Relieving the risk of a nuclear conflict with Iran diplomatically is superior than trying to do that militarily.”
And Obama has been saying the same thing.

A Comprehensive, Long-term Deal with Iran at WhiteHouse.gov

Does this deal resolve all of the threats Iran poses to its neighbors and the world? No. Does it do more than anyone has done before to make sure Iran does not obtain a nuclear weapon? Yes. And that was our top priority from the start.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 07-29-15 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-29-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dempsey is a fucking idiot. A shill. The man couldn't organize a party at an old folks home.

But let's assume he isn't a dumbass.

How can you logically forecast compliance with a country who has historically been violating every type of agreement when it came to Western negotiations for years, and has repeatedly vowed to kill Americans and Jews, and has sponsored organizations to do as much.

We call those organizations terrorist groups.

Dempsey probably doesn't even know what the deal encompasses, and if he does, he's certainly not going against Obama. He's a pussy. He's another politician, and unfortunately, a politician with a military designation who is going to get a shitload of people killed, once this eventually reaches a climax.

And the most sick-as-fuck thing is? Obama, Kerry, and Dempsey will not be around when this gets really bad, and they will just shrug the fucking off and blame Iran for their "not sticking to the terms of the agreement." That's it. They'll walk away with their hands in the air, proclaiming their cleanliness.

All these predictions and "if's" but amazingly, Dempsey calls this a win for World Peace and Nuclear Prevention. I think not. We were better just doing what we've always done. And now, another $100+ Billion dollars are going to BUILD UP IRAN'S ECONOMY! What the fuck. This is the most insane deal I've come across since deals were made with Saddam Hussein and him promising to not kill his people.

Didn't we learn with Iraq? Are the high-ranking Democrat politicians just fucking stupid?

But time will tell.

Come back to this post of mine in the future and a others who have said the same.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-29-15 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-29-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Dempsey is a fucking idiot. A shill. The man couldn't organize a party at an old folks home.

But let's assume he isn't a dumbass.
Yes, let's assume the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff isn't a dumbass. How generous of you.

Maybe if the man applies himself, he could someday know as much about international relations as a cop who spends his free time trolling a DVD message board.
Old 07-29-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

What Dempsey doesn't say is how the "goals" at the end aren't even close to what the goals were at the beginning. Plus it's not binding even to Israel so how the F is it going to remove the risk of a nuclear war between the two? Answer: it doesn't. At all. He's just saying what he was told to say.
Old 07-30-15, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Please explain how, and show your work.
Old 07-30-15, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
What Dempsey doesn't say is how the "goals" at the end aren't even close to what the goals were at the beginning. Plus it's not binding even to Israel so how the F is it going to remove the risk of a nuclear war between the two? Answer: it doesn't. At all. He's just saying what he was told to say.
It will be impossible for Iran to build a nuclear weapon over the next 10 years? That puts a damper on nuclear war, don't you think?
Old 07-30-15, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why read <i>Foreign Policy</i> when I can just read this thread?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.