Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Occupy Wall Street

Old 09-29-11, 11:31 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Occupy Wall Street

I wonder if this will gain as much traction in the media as the Tea Party.
The mainstream media seems to be burying this story thus far. No real surprise there.


"We are the 99 percent. We are occupying Wall Street. We will not be moved"


https://occupywallst.org/


Interesting Twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23OccupyWallStreet
JumpCutz is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 12:35 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,189
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Saturday at noon is the slutwalk. Prepare to be taken seriously.

I don't see any list of what they actually want, other than that Wallstreet is bad. Anyone else see what they actual want enacted, etc?
kvrdave is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 01:25 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 11,298
Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
I wonder if this will gain as much traction in the media as the Tea Party.
The mainstream media seems to be burying this story thus far. No real surprise there.
How is MSM burying the story? I see articles about it at every major news outlet.

I agree, it would be awesome if the media covered this protest the same way they covered the Tea Party rallies.

TheBigDave is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 08:13 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I don't see any list of what they actually want, other than that Wallstreet is bad. Anyone else see what they actual want enacted, etc?
Fair taxation, for one.



BTW, this woman has a future.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 08:23 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Fair taxation, for one.



BTW, this woman has a future.
Man I hope Scott Brown crushes her so bad. I can't believe the sheer venom she's spewing here against people who actually create jobs. And what is this "...that the rest of us paid for" crap? Didn't the guy creating the factory also pay for the roads? Doesn't Warren also get to drive on the roads, and not have marauding bands attacking her? The difference, it seems to me, is that Warren doesn't use those to create jobs and create wealth like the entrepeneur does.
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 08:33 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Yeah, he paid $32.93. The rest of us paid $32,945,923,111.

And my god, "job creators." Because if they pay a fairer amount in taxes, they will probably just close up shop. Who is John Galt?
CRM114 is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 08:38 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,235
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Saturday at noon is the slutwalk.
Wait, what?

This is getting interesting.
Pistol Pete is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 08:41 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Yeah, he paid $32.93. The rest of us paid $32,945,923,111.

And my god, "job creators." Because if they pay a fairer amount in taxes, they will probably just close up shop. Who is John Galt?
Yeah, he paid $32.93, and how much is he putting back into the economy via the salary he pays his workers and all the subsequent taxes they all put back into the coffer? How much does Warren put back into the system while taking a salary from tax-exempt Harvard? And she's the one who's indignant and outraged.
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 08:44 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

That's the argument for not paying a bit more in taxes in time of massive debt and war? Waaah, all mine. I'm not sure what Warren's salary has to do with it. I'm sure she pays taxes at the applicable rate. I suppose you are anti-academia? That evil Harvard!
CRM114 is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 08:49 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
That's the argument for not paying a bit more in taxes in time of massive debt and war? Waaah, all mine. I'm not sure what Warren's salary has to do with it. I'm sure she pays taxes at the applicable rate. I suppose you are anti-academia? That evil Harvard!
Let's just say I agree with what Bill Buckley had to say about being governed by the faculty of Harvard.
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 08:51 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,099
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
That evil Harvard!
You're a Yalie?
wishbone is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 08:58 AM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,065
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

This protest seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just sign an online petition -- it will be just as effective.
Groucho is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 09:20 AM
  #13  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 33,152
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I don't see any list of what they actually want, other than that Wallstreet is bad. Anyone else see what they actual want enacted, etc?
Browsing through their various sites I see very little about what they are for, but they seem to be against greed. One theme that seems to pop up consistently is opposition to home foreclosures, or, at least, the current system of foreclosures.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 09:29 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: In a Academy Award nominated film
Posts: 2,752
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
You're a Yalie?
My guess is University of Pennsylvania, possibly Brown.
Lemdog is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 09:34 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,099
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street







wishbone is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 09:40 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

My favorite line about this so far has been: "Bruner said protestors plan to present a list of demands, though they don't know when or to whom they will present them to."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/27/bu...sts/index.html
starman9000 is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 09:41 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,597
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

An "End the Fed" sign out there. Hmmmm. Maybe these folks and the tea-partiers should get together.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 09:42 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,597
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
My favorite line about this so far has been: "Bruner said protestors plan to present a list of demands, though they don't know when or to whom they will present them to."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/27/bu...sts/index.html
You'd figure the slaves would know who their masters are. Or just have that one dude present it to Satan.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 09:54 AM
  #19  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 33,152
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by Lemdog View Post
My guess is University of Pennsylvania, possibly Brown.
Penn State, IIRC.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 10:11 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,058
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Man I hope Scott Brown crushes her so bad. I can't believe the sheer venom she's spewing here against people who actually create jobs. And what is this "...that the rest of us paid for" crap? Didn't the guy creating the factory also pay for the roads? Doesn't Warren also get to drive on the roads, and not have marauding bands attacking her? The difference, it seems to me, is that Warren doesn't use those to create jobs and create wealth like the entrepeneur does.
Yeah, that's kind of her whole point, we're all in this together, except the rich have convinced us all that they pay too much in tax and should get all kinds of breaks because they're "job creators" except that no one can get said jobs because all the "job creators" instead of creating jobs are piling money in their Scrooge McDuck vaults and sitting on their hands and/or taunting poor protesters by toasting them with champagne from their balconies overlooking Wall Street.

Anyway, I'ma go back to lurking again, this shit is depressing. But cut the bullshit, seriously.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 10:23 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,438
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

I was just wondering where you've been, Tracer. Don't lurk too long!
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 10:47 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,189
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Not to worry, I will draw him out, Thor!

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Yeah, that's kind of her whole point, we're all in this together, except the rich have convinced us all that they pay too much in tax and should get all kinds of breaks because they're "job creators" except that no one can get said jobs because all the "job creators" instead of creating jobs are piling money in their Scrooge McDuck vaults and sitting on their hands and/or taunting poor protesters by toasting them with champagne from their balconies overlooking Wall Street.

Anyway, I'ma go back to lurking again, this shit is depressing. But cut the bullshit, seriously.
My biggest problem with this is that the government decides certain things should be subsidized because the government knows what industry we should be in. So they give lots of money to wind energy. Then GE gets into wind energy and makes big bucks, and with the subsidies, they pay no taxes. Then the government complains that the big corporations aren't paying any taxes.

Another example. My great state of Washington wanted to encourage crappy cars. So if you bought a hybrid or an electric car, you didn't pay any sales tax on it. Now they are complaining that we aren't selling as much gas as we use to so their tax revenue from it is going down and they want to add a fee to those types of car sales to make up for what they lose in gas taxes.

The FACT is that we have the highest corporate tax around (at least one of the highest), but we also have a government that continually wants to get in there and "lead" us to new technology, etc. which makes a huge gap in what different corporations pay, but now the government wants everyone to pay their "fair" share, which the only reason they don't is because of all the meddling by government.

So what is the answer to all of this? Raise the taxes, which will actually not accomplish anything because of the subsidies and the fact that people like Warren Buffet make their money off of capital gains and not earned income. So we'll all cry about the rich, we'll come up with a grand solution, and it will actually do nothing but harm small corporations who don't get into the golden projects the government deems as worthy.

People keep blaming the corporations on this, but they are just using the rules the governments hands down. We ought to blame the government for their constant fucking with the system which allows this to go on. Get rid of all that, and corporations will pay more.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 10:51 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,189
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Fair taxation, for one.



BTW, this woman has a future.
What does this nutty **** actually propose? Currently the tax rate on corporations is
Taxable income Tax rate

$ 0 $ 50,000 15%
50,000 75,000 25%
75,000 100,000 34%
100,000 335,000 39%
335,000 10,000,000 34%
10,000,000 15,000,000 35%
15,000,000 18,333,333 38%
18,333,333 .......... 35%
She's a fucking wack job who hasn't done anything to actually create a job in her life. Has she ever ran a company? Is she talking about stopping liberal social engineering in the tax system or does she still want to give subsidies to flower power? She's a stupid commie ****.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 10:53 AM
  #24  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,065
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Occupy Wall Street

I disagree with the notion that these people are not "job creators". I would argue that they are creating more jobs than ever. Jobs in China, jobs in India, jobs in Mexico...
Groucho is offline  
Old 09-30-11, 11:03 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Occupy Wall Street

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Yeah, that's kind of her whole point, we're all in this together, except the rich have convinced us all that they pay too much in tax and should get all kinds of breaks because they're "job creators" except that no one can get said jobs because all the "job creators" instead of creating jobs are piling money in their Scrooge McDuck vaults and sitting on their hands and/or taunting poor protesters by toasting them with champagne from their balconies overlooking Wall Street.

Anyway, I'ma go back to lurking again, this shit is depressing. But cut the bullshit, seriously.

I suppose one can debate whether "the rich" sit on their money like Scrooge McDuck or use it to create jobs. But Warren's rant wasn't against "the rich" in general----it was specifically about people who have a "great idea" and "start a factory".
Ky-Fi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.