Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2012 Republican Presidential Candidates - ptII

Old 08-17-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: 2012 Republican Presidential Candidates - ptII

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
"First Lady Health Nanny?"

What is this? Red Eye? Fox and Friends?
You're right. I should have gone with the simpler "First Nanny." Catchier too.
Old 08-17-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Even in the wake of corn dog-gate I'd still vote for ya wenders.
It depends on what the meaning of the word corndog is. If a corndog requires a meat product, then that was a completely true statement....

(This thread made my day)
Old 08-17-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I also was a 7th Day Adventist for a short time.
I always suspected, but it has been so long that now I forget why I suspected.
Old 08-17-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-17-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-17-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Michele Bachmann throws a surprise birthday party for Elvis
by Jeff Labrecque

Tea Party favorite Michele Bachmann, who’s riding a wave of publicity after winning last weekend’s Ames Straw Poll in Iowa, has the unfortunate — for a politician, anyway — gift of gaffe. In June, while visiting Waterloo, Ia., she mistakenly claimed it was the birthplace of American icon John Wayne — when, in fact, it was actually the hometown of serial killer John Wayne Gacy.

Yesterday, she put her shoe in her mouth again — though this time, it may have been a blue suede shoe. “Before we get started, let’s all say ‘Happy Birthday’ to Elvis Presley today,” Bachmann told a crowd in Spartanburg, S.C. “We played you a little bit of ‘Promised Land’ when we pulled up. You can’t do better than Elvis Presley and we thought we would celebrate his birthday as we get started to celebrating Take Our Country Back tour.”

Of course, yesterday was the 34th anniversary of the King’s death, not his birthday. An honest mistake. Don’t be cruel to a heart that’s true. Take a look at the clip.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/08/17/mi...achmann-elvis/
Old 08-17-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a Republican, I'm not a fan of Bachmann. She seems too much like Palin who turned out to be a train wreck. Just my opinion based on what limited I've seen of Bachmann.
Old 08-17-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Perry/Bachmann ticket looks good to me. Bachmann, being the submissive one, would be a natural fit for VP. I may have to give money to them.
Old 08-17-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ya know, candidates should just avoid historical references...and if they must make them, be absolutely sure of them. Trivial as it is, the fact they still get them so horribly wrong doesn't instill much confidence. This is for the presidency for crying out loud, nothing should be slipping through the cracks like this.
Old 08-17-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Ya know, candidates should just avoid historical references...and if they must make them, be absolutely sure of them. Trivial as it is, the fact they still get them so horribly wrong doesn't instill much confidence. This is for the presidency for crying out loud, nothing should be slipping through the cracks like this.
It didn't hurt old Joe who was watching FDR on the tube during the Great Depression. Then again he was only running for VP.

But that's a damn funny screw up by Bachmann.
Old 08-17-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
It didn't hurt old Joe who was watching FDR on the tube during the Great Depression. Then again he was only running for VP.
Lol, Biden's somehow made it into that coveted slot that literally anything he says or does is laughed off as "that's Joe!" I don't know if it's old age or what, it's a mystery to me.

Last edited by Artman; 08-17-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 04:04 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

But that's a damn funny screw up by Bachmann.
Yeah, it's probably equivalent to the one Biden did when he asked the guy in the wheelchair to stand up.

Candidates who want to be considered seriously really ought to run anything they can think of saying by their staff before they go out in public.
Old 08-17-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
Oh man, they are getting down on those dogs.
Old 08-17-11, 05:17 PM

Nate Silver's article on Perry has an interesting section where he handicaps the field.

All of this is understandable, particularly if you take a party-centric view of the nomination process. The entire campaign has been about the Republican Party searching for a candidate who is (a) capable of running a strong race against Barack Obama, (b) reliably conservative, and (c) actually interested in running.

The search has not quite gone as planned. Gov. Mitch Daniels of Indiana seemed to meet the first two criteria, but would not throw his hat into the ring. Mike Huckabee had reasonably strong favorability ratings with general-election voters. But he received little encouragement to run, perhaps because his positions were perceived as being too heterodox on economic policy.

Representative Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin meet the conservative criterion, but not the electability one. Newt Gingrich was already on tenuous grounds on electability, and when he dared to critique Mr. Ryan’s Medicare plan, he was shunned by the party.

Mitt Romney is still very much in the running — and has adopted essentially down-the-line orthodox Republican positions. But the party looks at his record in Massachusetts and does not seem persuaded that he is a movement conservative at heart.

The candidate who had seemed like the best hope for meeting all three qualifications was Tim Pawlenty. But he was vetoed by the Republican voters.

Enter Mr. Perry. He is running now and with plenty of popular support, already having pulled into the lead in one poll of primary voters.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...-electability/
Old 08-17-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm stuffed full of pizza and beer, and have live Black Sabbath playing in the background. This is triply mesmerizing.
Old 08-17-11, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I wasn't aware that you were a 7th Day Adventist who observed the food laws.

I was a vegatarian for a long time. I also was a 7th Day Adventist for a short time.

btw: I also have a box of corn dogs in the freezer. I don't eat 'em.

Raised and still practicing SDA, never followed the diet. It's that one little annoying ridiculous thing that have nothing to with salvation all religions have, like the Baptist's obsession with gays and Catholic's obsession with birth control.

I was at a redistricting meeting today and I did a little endorsement at the end of my speech for Rick Perry and told the state Congress to persuade Allen West to run for the federal Senate since there's no way in hell he's winning the same House Seat again to the Jewish lady. Did my little part to help Perry beat Romney in Florida, because it will be close. I sure hope that loon Santorum drops out too.
Old 08-17-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I like Sasha Grey sucking dick any time.
Now, that was probably my worst typo ever...
Old 08-17-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's like the "ass to ass" scene from Requiem for a Dream gone horribly, horribly wrong.
Old 08-18-11, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Should be a big turd. They can both eat shit for all I care.
Old 08-18-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not even sure how to best to comment on a statement such as this so I'll just throw it out:

“The day that the president became president gasoline was $1.79 a gallon. Look at what it is today,” she said at an event in Greenville, S.C.. “Under President Bachmann, you will see gasoline come down below $2 a gallon again. That will happen.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1VO6dkVFf
Old 08-18-11, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I'm not even sure how to best to comment on a statement such as this so I'll just throw it out:
While I don't know or care if she is right about the price of gas when President Obama took office, the rest of the statement isn't that crazy. Gas certainly could come down another dollar per gallon depending on policy choices.
Old 08-18-11, 08:47 AM

Let me add, I think we may be heading there regardless. That isn't a good thing.
Old 08-18-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Average price of gas on January 26, 2009 was $1.84

news.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/01/average-gas-pricesjanuary-26-2009.html

Could President Bachmann institute policies to lower the price of gas to $2.00?
Old 08-18-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

She does realize gas was over $4 a gallon months before that though, right?
Old 08-18-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, except somebody cited just the other day when there was deregulation or fees on the airline industry they just swallowed the difference as profits. So if as a policy choice we relax federal taxes or import fees on oil, what's to say that the oil companies and/or gas stations won't just keep prices the same and take the difference as profits? That's the issue with her statement and the aspect a politician doesn't have any control over.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.