Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition)

Old 11-24-20, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 115 Posts
Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition)

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
A friend of mine is a pilot for NetJets. He's never divulged the names of people he's flown, but he's basically said numerous times it's almost always some rich fuck nobody's ever heard of, and not Bruce Springsteen or Roger Federer.
The owner of the company I work for uses FlexJet. He (and by he, I mean the company) pays them 36K a month just for the membership to be able to use their planes. Then they charge you per flight, and those flights are not inexpensive. Boy, this company (pre-Covid) used to have board meetings in some very vacation-y spots around the globe.
Old 01-12-21, 12:55 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition)

In their last weeks in office, the Trump Office of Science and Technology Policy (yes, there is such a thing) posted a number of papers by climate change deniers, among them David Legates, a well known idiot who did the introduction. I have hidden most of the papers because I don't want to add to the propaganda, but WTH is the last paper about?

"The Faith-Based Nature of Human Caused Global Warming?" Which faith: Christianity, Buddhism, Trumpism?

Old 01-12-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
In their last weeks in office, the Trump Office of Science and Technology Policy (yes, there is such a thing) posted a number of papers by climate change deniers, among them David Legates, a well known idiot who did the introduction. I have hidden most of the papers because I don't want to add to the propaganda, but WTH is the last paper about?

"The Faith-Based Nature of Human Caused Global Warming?" Which faith: Christianity, Buddhism, Trumpism?

Some evangelicals, as a ‘gotchya’ argument against atheists who believe in climate change, argue that climate change is a religion that requires faith in science as much as Christianity requires faith in the Bible. They argue both describe things that haven’t been observed firsthand and yadda, yadda, yadda. It’s inane bullshit. It’s just a guess, but perhaps that’s what the paper in question is referencing.
Old 01-12-21, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Some evangelicals, as a ‘gotchya’ argument against atheists who believe in climate change, argue that climate change is a religion that requires faith in science as much as Christianity requires faith in the Bible. They argue both describe things that haven’t been observed firsthand and yadda, yadda, yadda. It’s inane bullshit. It’s just a guess, but perhaps that’s what the paper in question is referencing.
Hey man, science is a liar ... sometimes.

Old 01-12-21, 08:29 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I understand the "yadda, yadda, yadda" part, but what about the rest?
Old 03-21-21, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

From another website, the EPA's climate change website has been restored after it was taken down by the Trump administration.

https://www.epa.gov/climate-change
Old 03-22-21, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 344 Likes on 244 Posts

And they're doing it loudly.

An EPA Priority

EPA is restoring the role of science in addressing the climate crisis.
Old 03-29-21, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I was listening to one of those ask-Reddit videos on Youtube. The topic was "what's the most ignorant thing you've heard someone say?". That reminded me of this gem I read a few years ago on another forum. The guy said he didn't believe in global warming because it was impossible for the heat from everyone's engines to noticeably warm the Earth. I guess that technically he wasn't wrong.
Old 04-22-21, 09:09 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

USA: Biden committed that the US will cut greenhouse gas emissions by 50-52% by 2030 (from 2005 baseline)
Japan: 44%
Canada: 40-45%
China: No reduction commit yet, peak by 2030
India: No commit yet

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e=articleShare

Old 04-22-21, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 290 Likes on 179 Posts

USA: Biden committed that the US will cut greenhouse gas emissions by 50-52% by 2030.
Was he sitting on a unicorn when he said this?
Old 04-22-21, 04:32 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Was he sitting on a unicorn when he said this?
I don't know. He doesn't seem to be the type who sits there and does nothing, or denies that a problem even exists.
Old 04-23-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 290 Likes on 179 Posts

I don't know. He doesn't seem to be the type who sits there and does nothing, or denies that a problem even exists.
It's just such an unrealistic goal. I prefer goals that are possible. The good news I suppose is that when we don't even come close there will be plenty of blaming and finger pointing and in the end all these agreements really don't mean anything at all.
Old 04-23-21, 11:37 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

^
- If you have an analysis showing that Biden's goals are totally unrealistic and the most he can do is half of that, I'd like to hear it. I don't know what to do with statements about Biden sitting on a unicorn or general statements that his goals are unrealistic.

- His reduction targets are in line with what the European Union and Britain are planning to do. Maybe it's a crowded unicorn, and maybe they are all delusional.

- In many projects you have a "stretch goal" with only a 70% chance of success, and you most likely will hit only 80%. That's OK, especially in a field like climate change with a lot of uncertainty and many hard-to-control variables -- a massive forest fire can easily throw you off by a lot in greenhouse gas emissions. I have no problem if they aim for 100% and get 80%. This is absolutely not easy, but there is nothing wrong with setting that target.
Old 05-02-21, 12:27 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

The Brazilian Amazon in the last decade emits 20% more carbon than it absorbs, not only due to deforestation (clear-cut tree removal or forest fire) but also forest "degradation" (damage but not total destruction). Trees normally absorb and store carbon but that carbon is released when trees are burned or otherwise damaged or destroyed.

Worldwide plants and soil absorb about 30% of carbon emissions. If they become neutral or a net emitter we are screwed because we were counting on them to offset some of the human-caused emissions. Same thing with icebergs. They used to absorb carbon, but now release it as they melt due to global warming.

Of course all of this could be a Chinese hoax. And there is no warming. It was super cold in Texas in February.

https://phys.org/news/2021-04-climat...riend-foe.html
APRIL 30, 2021
Climate change: Amazon may be turning from friend to foe
by Marlowe Hood, Amélie Bottollier-Depois

The Brazilian Amazon released nearly 20 percent more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere over the last decade than it absorbed, according to a stunning report that shows humanity can no longer depend on the world's largest tropical forest to help absorb manmade carbon pollution.

From 2010 through 2019, Brazil's Amazon basin gave off 16.6 billion tonnes of CO2, while drawing down only 13.9 billion tonnes, researchers reported Thursday in the journal Nature Climate Change.

The study looked at the volume of CO2 absorbed and stored as the forest grows, versus the amounts released back into the atmosphere as it has been burned down or destroyed.
Original paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-021-01026-5

Last edited by Psi; 05-02-21 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-26-21, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/26/b...nge/index.html

A Dutch court has ruled that Royal Dutch Shell must dramatically reduce its carbon emissions in a landmark climate decision that could have far reaching consequences for oil companies.

The company must slash its CO2 emissions by 45% by 2030 from 2019 levels, according to a judgment from a district court in The Hague on Wednesday. That includes emissions from its own operations and from the energy products it sells.
Shell must reduce its world wide CO2 emissions. It was pretty big news in my country, and it may be a first taste of things to come in many other countries.
Old 05-26-21, 04:46 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH View Post
That includes emissions from its own operations and from the energy products it sells.
The bolded part sounds like a new way of calculating the amount of carbon emissions that a company is responsible for, and that sounds really tough. I wonder how Shell will deal with that, sell less?
Old 06-01-21, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts

Sucks California is probably the most environment friendly state in the country and we get the worst of global warming with droughts, wildfires, and one day of rain every year.
Old 06-02-21, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Californians don't get the worst of the drought, they just get the most press.

Old 06-02-21, 09:29 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Californians don't get the worst of the drought, they just get the most press.
One problem is that California as a state uses the most water in the US. #2 is Texas. CA needs a lot for agricultural use. Also their risk of huge forest fire due to drought is probably the highest. This year is shaping up to be really bad. Better start raking.

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/w...-united-states

Old 06-02-21, 09:48 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Last year the UK got more electricity from renewables than from fossil fuel. The big change started 10 years ago, and I don't know what triggered it. But it's a great sign that it can be done fairly quickly. The UK hasn't crashed or run out of power.

Old 06-02-21, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Received 204 Likes on 130 Posts

I think it's debate whether Nuclear Energy is consider renewable. Certainly clean compared to oil/gas/coal though.
Old 06-02-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The second chart shows nuclear as its own category, not included in either fossil fuels or in renewable.
Old 06-02-21, 05:48 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

The second chart shows nuclear as its own category, not included in either fossil fuels or in renewable.
I looked further into this. There was a carbon tax implemented, and huge reduction in use of coal for power generation (almost zero now). Just like in the US, coal just got too expensive, and they used a bunch of renewable sources to replace coal (not much solar because it's the UK )
Old 06-03-21, 08:31 AM
Suspended

Received 204 Likes on 130 Posts

Okay, yeah, that makes more sense, but the second numbers don't really match up with the first chart. For the record, I think nuclear is the best clean energy option.
Old 06-03-21, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Okay, yeah, that makes more sense, but the second numbers don't really match up with the first chart. For the record, I think nuclear is the best clean energy option.
Although I don't agree with countries like North Korea and Iran going for these clean energy options, it's refreshing to see a post in support of Iran going green.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.