DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/592386-one-only-global-warming-thread-part-11-co2-kills-10-billion-people-edition.html)

Draven 03-21-18 12:37 PM

Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edit

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 13294776)
No. Even if my source was wrong as was claimed, it was only by a factor of two. That's a significant error, but it still doesn't mean there's any reason to worry about running out of landfill space. And even if we doubled the height of the landfill from my source, it still wouldn't be anywhere close to the height of Mt. Everest.

I will add that in the future, I think artificially intelligent robots will mine landfills as a valuable resource. And that's a lot better then the current situation of making humans separate their trash, having two sets of trucks to pick it up instead of one, and paying employees at the recycling center to go though the stuff by hand. People's time is far more valuable than any other resource that's being discussed in this area, and we should stop wasting it by forcing people to recycle their garbage.

How is that different from crisscrossing the country with trucks full of garbage out of major cities to get it to these giant landfills in the sticks?

Nick Danger 03-21-18 06:17 PM

Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edit

Originally Posted by SFX (Post 13294794)
Utter nonsense.

Oh, right! Slaps forehead. Of course it is. You've convinced me.

wendersfan 03-22-18 09:56 AM

Good news everyone, the anti-science propaganda is working.

Global carbon emissions are on their way back up

I look forward to increasing incidences of things like polio and the bubonic plague as well.

grundle 03-23-18 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13294796)
How is that different from crisscrossing the country with trucks full of garbage out of major cities to get it to these giant landfills in the sticks?

First of all, garbage trucks don't "crisscross the country." Instead, they go to the nearest landfill.

Now, to answer your question: robots mining landfills for valuable resources is different because it doesn't require human time. Human time is much too valuable a resource to use for that.

grundle 03-23-18 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 13295422)

There's nothing anti-science about that. The article says that economic growth has caused an increase in energy demand. It also says that while energy demand increased by 2.1%, global warming emissions only increased by 1.4%. So the ratio of GDP to emissions has gone up. That's a good thing.

People in poor countries have every right to want the same standard of living that you and I have. Unless you are willing to cut your energy use to their levels, I don't think it's fair for you to ask them to keep their levels down.

Also, many of those countries are too poor to afford wind and solar power. Fossil fuels are their only chance to escape their third world poverty. I hope they burn enough fossil fuels to become rich enough so that they can afford to eventually switch to cleaner sources of energy.

The world has not yet reached the level of wealth where we get to the point on the Kuznets curve where carbon dioxide emissions peak and start to permanently fall. But we will get there eventually. It's not a question of if - it's a question of when.

Draven 03-23-18 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 13296309)
First of all, garbage trucks don't "crisscross the country." Instead, they go to the nearest landfill.

If you think one giant landfill is the answer, how does the trash from both NYC and Los Angeles get there without crossing the country?

SFX 03-23-18 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 13295053)
You've convinced me.

And it was so easy.

grundle 03-24-18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13296388)
If you think one giant landfill is the answer, how does the trash from both NYC and Los Angeles get there without crossing the country?

I don't think one giant landfill is a good idea. What I said was that if there was one giant landfill, it would be a certain size. That's my fault. I should have just said the number of square miles.

SFX 03-25-18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 13297042)
I don't think one giant landfill is a good idea.

I do. There should be several in each state, and they should be turned into Mount Trashmore Parks.

Flat states like Florida should use rail transport to put it all into one park, because after a decade it would create a mile high mountain, which would be a very cool park to visit in Florida.

grundle 03-29-18 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by SFX (Post 13297481)
I do. There should be several in each state, and they should be turned into Mount Trashmore Parks.

Flat states like Florida should use rail transport to put it all into one park, because after a decade it would create a mile high mountain, which would be a very cool park to visit in Florida.

I meant that I don't think there should be one giant landfill for the entire United States. It seems that you agree with me on this.

I agree with you that it's a good idea to turn landfills into parks.

JasonF 03-29-18 11:35 AM

I don't understand why grundle is so insistent on the idea of one giant landfill for the entire country. It would be a logistical nightmare!

SFX 03-31-18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 13299906)
I don't understand why grundle is so insistent on the idea of one giant landfill for the entire country. It would be a logistical nightmare!

Yeah but it would be so cool to have a mile high artificial mountain every other year. Put them in Kansas.

Aside from the impossible cost and impossibility of it ever actually happening, it would be cool.

SFX 03-31-18 02:12 PM

Meanwhile, back in reality land, the winters for much of the northern hemisphere keep getting colder, with increasing snow amounts. Which is the exact opposite of what global warming theory predicts should be happening.

maxfisher 03-31-18 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by SFX (Post 13301026)
Meanwhile, back in reality land, the winters for much of the northern hemisphere keep getting colder, with increasing snow amounts. Which is the exact opposite of what global warming theory predicts should be happening.

Link to any mainstream source predicting what you claim they predict?

Kurt D 03-31-18 02:57 PM

Climate change is a Liberal Myth meant to keep the common man down!

Excuse me now, I need to go roll some coal and piss in a reservoir.

Psi 03-31-18 04:21 PM

It was so cold at work yesterday that everyone had to put on a jacket in the office. Then we found out that some jerk already turned on the AC and left it at 68F.

SFX 04-02-18 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 13301028)
Link to any mainstream source predicting what you claim they predict?

Are you mentally deficient? You just made something up, then asked me to answer your made up statement.

Let me hazard a guess. You don't actually know what the global warming theory is.

It's not actually a guess, since it's extremely obvious you don't.

DVD Polizei 04-02-18 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 13295422)

I look forward to increasing incidences of things like polio and the bubonic plague as well.

You have to calculate how much industry has expanded and the amounts of emissions in a ratio, and just where those industrial expansions took place. You can't just say emissions have increased without adding the fact that industry has expanded.

In other words, emissions may not be as bad as the Global Apoc Doomers are telling us.

Propaganda seems to be on both sides these days.

From that article, it says China expanded by 7%. That's a lot. But then say they only had 1.7% emission increases. You can't tell me their expansion greatly affects the overall expansion worldwide. China is the #1 expansion of industry. The US hasn't even really started.

So, the increase overall, may actually be good because industry expansion should have been more...but was not due to more efficient and cleaner systems.

Due to China tariffs and potential trade wars...emissions should actually decrease, imo. However, China and India are the major pollution issues, and the article even says those two countries alone counted for an increase in 40% energy demands.

Psi 04-02-18 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by SFX (Post 13301751)
Are you mentally deficient? You just made something up, then asked me to answer your made up statement.

Let me hazard a guess. You don't actually know what the global warming theory is.

Oh the irony.

SFX 04-02-18 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee (Post 13301041)

That's absurd.

A big stumbling block for even discussing "global warming" is the language itself.

Both sides use two different terms, "climate change" and "global warming", often either as the same thing, or worse, as two different things but in reality they mean the same thing.

Quotes below are from https://www.skepticalscience.com/cli...al-warming.htm

As the name suggests, 'global warming' refers to the long-term trend of a rising average global temperature
That isn't actually true. "Global warming" is specific in that it means recent warming due to human activity. It does not mean the warming that naturally occurs. The global climate warmed 11,000 years ago (a lot) as the planet came out of the glacier building period of the ice age we are still in. But that isn't global warming.

'Climate change', again as the name suggests, refers to the changes in the global climate which result from the increasing average global temperature. For example, changes in precipitation patterns, increased prevalence of droughts, heat waves, and other extreme weather, etc.
So climate change means the results of global warming.

This is like saying "the accident" refers to the crash between the two cars. But "the disaster" is about all the horrible things that resulted from "the accident". This is not an absurd-ism, it is actually the difference between using "global warming" and "climate change". But "climate change" always means something that happened or is happening from global warming.

A reasonable view of climate change/global warming has to include the theory of global warming (or the CO2 theory, or AGW theory, or the Greenhouse Theory of climate change, or basic global warming theory, or the enhanced greenhouse effect, or what ever name is used, they all mean the exact same thing)

In 1896, Svante Arrhenius first postulated the theory of global warming due to carbon dioxide. While he was trying to answer the question of what causes the ice ages, most importantly the warm periods between the cold periods of an ice age, he also theorized that man might be able to warm up the planet by burning fossil fuels.

In science (unlike politics or religion) reality matters. And a theory is the pinnacle of scientific thought and practice. If you don't actually know the theory, and what it means, all else is whistling in the wind.

SFX 04-02-18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 13301761)
Propaganda seems to be on both sides these days.

These days? Seriously?

You really thing both sides using propaganda techniques is something recent?

DVD Polizei 04-02-18 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by SFX (Post 13301784)
These days? Seriously?

You really thing both sides using propaganda techniques is something recent?

I'm not sure why you would respond to a comment such as mine, given the opinion that both sides are biased.

Do you have something even more enlightening for me, or what. Sure, I would imagine we've had both sides being biased in the past as well, but I haven't seen it as vicious and blatantly false...as I have currently, nor have I observed lengths gone to prove those blatant lies as truth. It's like we've grown two brand new religious factions in the US.

maxfisher 04-02-18 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SFX (Post 13301751)

SFX, several things.

Global warming and climate change are in fact two terms referring to the same phenomenon. The latter is primarily used to avoid ignorant people saying stuff like ‘if global warming is happening, why did this town or region have an extra cold winter.’

Additionally, whatever you want to call it, the earth warming as a whole does not preclude record setting cold weather in particular locations and regions. Literally no one is predicting that it will suddenly be so warm that cold weather disappears. As it warms, we will continue to see individual locations set new records for lowest temperatures. If the earth were not warming, we would expect about the same number of record highs and record lows each year. Instead, we’re currently experiencing a little more than twice as many record highs as we are record lows. That proportion has been steadily increasing and will continue to get more out of whack, but for the rest of your life, you will continue to hear about locations that had record cold days.

Beyond that, we will continue to have areas that experience higher snowfalls than typical. The earth warming increases the amount of water vapor in the air, meaning that the places that get cold enough to experience snow will be likely to experience more of it. Additionally, it is believed that changing weather patterns resulting from the earth warming will cause storms to stall out. So a storm that might’ve dumped 4” of snow as it passed through an area over the course of 10 hours might now take 20 hours to move through that area and dump twice as much snow.

As for your post I quoted, why don’t you take a mulligan on that and come back to the thread once you’ve done a little reading.

SFX 04-02-18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 13301786)
I'm not sure why you would respond to a comment such as mine, given the opinion that both sides are biased.

Do you have something even more enlightening for me, or what.

I just find it incomprehensible that anyone is surprised to find propaganda being used in this day and age. It's rampant.

I have enough data, actual scientific evidence to convince anyone who actually wants to know. Finding such a person is as hard as finding the basic global warming theory on Wikipedia.

(in case that's too obtuse, the theory does not currently exist on Wikipedia)

In fact, right now the word "theory" no longer appears at all on the Global warming Wikipedia page.

grundle 04-02-18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee (Post 13301041)

Excuse me now, I need to go roll some coal and piss in a reservoir.

1) Climate change is real.

2) Climate change has been happening for 4.5 billion years.

3) There is nothing we can do to stop the climate from changing.