Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-04-17, 11:43 AM   #1176
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edit

An Inconvenient Sequel is out, so it's time to reboot the arguments from when the original came out.
Old 08-04-17, 12:50 PM   #1177
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
An Inconvenient Sequel is out, so it's time to reboot the arguments from when the original came out.
OK. I'll start.

By 2016, all the snow will be gone from Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Old 08-04-17, 01:05 PM   #1178
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Is this the climate change equivalent of 'but Hillary!'?
Al Gore and/or Leonardo DiCaprio being hypocrites doesn't invalidate the facts of climate change, but because the facts of climate change are so overwhelming, all critics can do is call out prominent environmentalists for not being green enough, while conveniently ignoring that large corporations do far more damage to the environment than any single celebrity ever could.
Old 08-04-17, 02:02 PM   #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Al Gore and/or Leonardo DiCaprio being hypocrites doesn't invalidate the facts of climate change, but because the facts of climate change are so overwhelming, all critics can do is call out prominent environmentalists for not being green enough, while conveniently ignoring that large corporations do far more damage to the environment than any single celebrity ever could.
Meanwhile, in the real world, climate change is going to drastically change the economy very quickly.

In Sweltering South, Climate Change Is Now a Workplace Hazard
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 08-04-17, 03:38 PM   #1180
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Because we don't do bloodletting to cure depression anymore the entire field of psychology is a hoax.

It's funny how our understanding of the world doesn't change when we get get new evidence and we are beholden to the first prediction we make. You'd think only a complete idiot would think this is how science works, but it's true.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 08-04-17, 03:43 PM   #1181
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
When measured in kwh per square foot, Al Gore's Tennessee mansion was rated as an "energy hog," and used more than four times as many kwh per square foot as homes that are rated as "energy efficient."

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA679.html

August 2017

Many Gore defenders point to the large size of his residence as an explanation for his massive energy consumption.

The facts, however, do not bear this argument out.

According to Energy Vanguard, a company devoted to making homes more energy efficient, an "efficient" home uses between 5-10 kWh of electricity per square foot each year. A house that consumes 15 kWh per square foot or more of electricity per year is categorized as "bad" due to its inefficiency and excessive electricity consumption. Homes that expend more than 20 kWh of electricity per square foot each year are labeled "energy hogs," which is Energy Vanguard's worst rating.

Gore's home consumed 22.9 kWh per square foot in the past 12 months, more than quadrupling the electricity consumption of homes that are considered energy efficient, regardless of size. Based on its kWh per square foot measure, the house would easily earn an "energy hog" rating.

Even by apples-to-apples comparison, Gore's home is extraordinarily energy inefficient and consumes an astonishing amount of electricity.
La la la la la, can't hear you. Al Gore lives in a small hut in Peru. This is fake news!

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-04-17, 03:45 PM   #1182
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Meanwhile, in the real world, climate change is going to drastically change the economy very quickly.

In Sweltering South, Climate Change Is Now a Workplace Hazard
Quote:
But for Mr. Guerra, 24, who spends nine hours a day six days a week doing yard work, the episode was a reminder of the dangers that exist for outdoor workers as the planet warms.

“I think about the climate every day,” Mr. Guerra said, “because every day we work, and every day it feels like it’s getting hotter.”
Well shit, if it feels like it...then it must be true. And whatever theory I attach to it...is also true.

Like the weather in the South wasn't a hazard before. People do realize this country/world wasn't just spawned in the late 80's. At least I hope so. I'm making Creationists look like geniuses.

What's next.

Alligators have sharper teeth and should be MORE avoided?

Oh wait. How about this. I feel like I have to turn on my water facet more so that means this world has a dramatically lowered water supply. And therefore, I must proclaim my theory that we are losing water every day, and it's all because of...

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-04-17 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 06:31 PM   #1183
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Well shit, if it feels like it...then it must be true. And whatever theory I attach to it...is also true.

Like the weather in the South wasn't a hazard before. People do realize this country/world wasn't just spawned in the late 80's. At least I hope so. I'm making Creationists look like geniuses.

What's next.

Alligators have sharper teeth and should be MORE avoided?

Oh wait. How about this. I feel like I have to turn on my water facet more so that means this world has a dramatically lowered water supply. And therefore, I must proclaim my theory that we are losing water every day, and it's all because of...

Exactly!

Before the invention of air conditioning, presidents and their families actually fled Washington D.C. during the summer because it was so hot:

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/ke...he-white-house

Keeping Cool in the White House

During the 19th century Washington’s infamous summer heat and humidity presented challenges to presidents and their families. In that pre-air conditioning era, most chose to leave Washington in summer for fresher places – sometimes estates in Virginia, farms in Massachusetts, seaside or fishing retreats in New England, or on the New Jersey shore or Chesapeake Bay.

At times during the hot summer months, first families in the 19th century escaped to the higher and cooler elevation of the hills around Washington.
The Lincolns enjoyed spending summers at the cottage at the Soldiers’ Home, and the Clevelands had “Red Top,” their house in the city’s sparsely settled northwest suburbs.

Air conditioning of a sort first came to the White House through tragedy. In an effort to cool the stifling sickroom of mortally wounded President James A. Garfield, U.S. Navy engineers prepared an improvised air conditioner in the summer of 1881. An electric blower forced air through a box with thin cotton screens that were kept wet with ice and ice water. Pumped through a duct into Garfield’s bedroom, the device pushed the temperature down to 80 degrees and lowered the humidity.

President William Howard Taft also attempted to install a type of air conditioning in the expanded West Wing in 1909. The experimental system consisted of electric fans that blew over great bins of ice in the attic, cooling the air, which was forced through the air ducts of the heating system. This never worked well enough and was soon abandoned. Taft also built a sleeping porch, a screened-in room on the roof of the White House for a cool place to sleep amid breezes on summer evenings.

Woodrow Wilson did not use Taft’s West Wing system, joking that it “was his business to keep cool and that he would do so without artificial means." However, Wilson found it so difficult to keep cool during early summer 1914 that he moved his office into a tent on the southwest corner of the White House at the end of the Rose Garden. The tent, a holdover from the Theodore Roosevelt White House, was equipped with a desk, chairs, electric lights, push buttons, and a telephone, and Wilson did meet with a continual flow of senators, representatives, cabinet officials, and others, including visiting Native American delegations.

There was newspaper speculation that Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan, who had spent years profitably lecturing under large tents on the Chautauqua circuit, would be pleased meeting the president under canvas. It is not known if Bryan shared with Wilson his secret for keeping cool on the outdoor lecture circuit: “I take a small piece of ice … I put it in the palm of my right hand and hold it tightly. Then I shift it to my left hand, holding it in either hand for about five minutes. Then I pass my cold hands over my forehead. I have always found this very effective.”

The tent experiment ended because Wilson’s Secretary Joseph Tumulty was on a diet and tried to encourage weight loss by playing daily games of tennis. One day as Wilson sat in the tent dictating to his stenographer, Charles Swem, the president listened to the noisy verbal jousting of Tumulty’s nearby tennis game and told Swem, “Come on, Charlie, this is no place to work.” When Wilson’s executive secretary Rudolph Forster asked the president if he wanted the tent to remain, Wilson replied that Tumulty could use it “if he needs it for a tennis dressing room to aid his weight reducing. From now on we will stick to the office to do our work.”

President Calvin Coolidge fought the humid summer months by making sure “a gadget filled with chemicals supposed to purify, or at least deodorize, the air” was on his desk at all times. Reconstruction of the West Wing in 1930 after extensive damage by a Christmas Eve fire in 1929 included a central air-conditioning system installed by the Carrier Engineering Company. When Franklin D. Roosevelt and his family experienced their first warm season at the White House in 1933, air-conditioning units were added to the private quarters, although FDR rarely cooled the air in the Oval Office, choosing to work in shirt-sleeves with the windows open.

All of the White House mechanical systems were replaced in the Truman renovation, including central air conditioning. President Lyndon Johnson kept the air temperature in the family quarters so low in summer that he supposedly slept under an electric blanket, and the system also let President Richard Nixon enjoy a burning fireplace in his second floor hideaway office, even in the summertime.
Old 09-25-17, 08:06 AM   #1184
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like we just gained 20 years in our battle on climate change due to incorrect computer modelling done just 10 years ago.

Global warming may be occurring more slowly than previously thought

Quote:
Computer modelling used a decade ago to predict how quickly global average temperatures would rise may have forecast too much warming, a study has found.
Quote:
the reassessment allows for a “carbon budget” of another 240bn tonnes of emissions before catastrophic damage is done.

“That’s about 20 years of emissions before temperatures are likely to cross 1.5C,” Professor Allen said.
Old 09-25-17, 12:20 PM   #1185
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Looks like we just gained 20 years in our battle on climate change due to incorrect computer modelling done just 10 years ago.

Global warming may be occurring more slowly than previously thought
You know, the full article paints a different picture than the lines you cut out. For instance you could have just as easily have posted:

Quote:
The study, published this week in the journal Nature Geoscience, does not play down the threat which climate change has to the environment, and maintains that major reductions in emissions must be attained.
Quote:
“It’s still likely to be very difficult to achieve these kind of changes quickly enough but we are in a better place than I thought.”
The full article:

Quote:
Computer modelling used a decade ago to predict how quickly global average temperatures would rise may have forecast too much warming, a study has found.

The Earth warmed more slowly than the models forecast, meaning the planet has a slightly better chance of meeting the goals set out in the Paris climate agreement, including limiting global warming to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels.

Scientists said previous models may have been “on the hot side”.

The study, published this week in the journal Nature Geoscience, does not play down the threat which climate change has to the environment, and maintains that major reductions in emissions must be attained.

But the findings indicate the danger may not be as acute as was previously thought.

Myles Allen, professor of geosystem science at the University of Oxford and one of the study’s authors told The Times: “We haven’t seen that rapid acceleration in warming after 2000 that we see in the models. We haven’t seen that in the observations.”

The original forecasts were based on twelve separate computer models made by universities and government institutes around the world, and were put together ten years ago, “so it’s not that surprising that it’s starting to divert a little bit from observations”, Professor Allen added.

According to The Times, another of the paper’s authors, Michael Grubb, a professor of international energy and climate change at University College London, admitted his earlier forecasting models had overplayed how temperatures would rise.

At the Paris climate summit in 2015, Professor Grubb said: “All the evidence from the past 15 years leads me to conclude that actually delivering 1.5C is simply incompatible with democracy.”

But speaking to The Times he said: “When the facts change, I change my mind, as [John Maynard] Keynes said.

“It’s still likely to be very difficult to achieve these kind of changes quickly enough but we are in a better place than I thought.”

Professor Grubb said the reassessment of the situation was good news for low-lying countries and island states in the Pacific, which would be swamped by sea-level rises if average temperatures rose by more than 1.5C.

The previous scenario allowed for the planet to emit a total of 70 billion tonnes of Carbon after 2015, in order to keep temperature rises to just 1.5C above pre-industrial levels.

But the reassessment allows for a “carbon budget” of another 240bn tonnes of emissions before catastrophic damage is done.

“That’s about 20 years of emissions before temperatures are likely to cross 1.5C,” Professor Allen said.

“It’s the difference between being not doable and being just doable.”

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 09-25-17, 12:47 PM   #1186
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

reminds me of this clip from The Newsroom