DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edition) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/592386-one-only-global-warming-thread-part-11-co2-kills-10-billion-people-edition.html)

PerryD 11-03-15 05:44 PM

Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edit

But weren't you a little bothered when the enormous carbon footprint of Al Gore's mansion came out? I'm not an global warming enthusiast by any means, but I at least respected Al Gore's passion for climate change, up until I found out that his mansion at the time (circa 2007) contained none of the recommendations that he was pushing on others. Only when they are outed, do some of these activists decide to do as they say.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Globa...ory?id=2906888

DVD Polizei 11-03-15 06:04 PM

Re: The One and Only Global Warming Thread, Part 11 (CO2 Kills 10 Billion People Edit

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12635465)
Like how a doctor can't smoke right? Or a nutritionist can't eat ice-cream? Or a Libertarian can't call the police? An animal rights activist can't eat a burger?

The guys at the summit are not coming up with ideas on each individual person on the planet's carbon footprint. They're not drafting up a memo to Barry Gregson in Tulsa to ride his bike to work.

They're identifying programs and solving problem that may impact Climate Science by tossing money at them. The end.

They're creating rules for people who can't say "No" to those rules. They will punish the vulnerable.

Let's see if they punish China for their pollution. Or many other countries who pollute.

But of course, they will skip over the real polluters and go after people like you and me who cannot fight back with a few dozen attorneys and politicians.

It's the same with Liberal Cities who enforce mandatory recycling nonsense on their citizens. There is no choice in that. Just somebody's money-making scam who makes deals with friends of companies and then spins it to the citizens as Thinking Green.

Global Warming = Global Scam

grundle 11-03-15 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12635450)
Which is why you shouldn't give blood after a disaster, instead you should wait a month.

And good job giving blood. I can't cuz of health stuff.

OK. I see what you mean. Of course I can't predict when there might or might not be a disaster, so I just give whenever I can.

Thanks.

grundle 11-03-15 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12635465)
Like how a doctor can't smoke right? Or a nutritionist can't eat ice-cream? Or a Libertarian can't call the police? An animal rights activist can't eat a burger?

The guys at the summit are not coming up with ideas on each individual person on the planet's carbon footprint. They're not drafting up a memo to Barry Gregson in Tulsa to ride his bike to work.

They're identifying programs and solving problem that may impact Climate Science by tossing money at them. The end.

Any doctor who was born after 1970 who smokes is probably a doctor whose competence I would question. I would prefer to be treated by a doctor who does not smoke. If I lived in a small town with only one doctor, and that doctor was a smoker, I would go to that doctor.

Nutritionists say that ice cream, in moderation, is fine as part of a well balanced diet.

There is nothing wrong with libertarians calling the police if it's to protect life and property. If the call was for a victimless crime, yeah, that would be wrong.

Some animal rights activists say it's OK to eat meat, but prefer that animals be raised in a free range form instead of with crowded factory farming.

The people who attend these global warming summits are not solving problems. All they are doing is partying, eating expensive food, planning next year's meeting, and burning huge amounts of fossil fuels.

grundle 11-03-15 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 12635627)
But weren't you a little bothered when the enormous carbon footprint of Al Gore's mansion came out? I'm not an global warming enthusiast by any means, but I at least respected Al Gore's passion for climate change, up until I found out that his mansion at the time (circa 2007) contained none of the recommendations that he was pushing on others. Only when they are outed, do some of these activists decide to do as they say.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Globa...ory?id=2906888

I wrote the text of this video. I cited sources for every claim in the description:

Navinabob 11-03-15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12635648)
They're creating rules for people who can't say "No" to those rules. They will punish the vulnerable.

Let's see if they punish China for their pollution. Or many other countries who pollute.

But of course, they will skip over the real polluters and go after people like you and me who cannot fight back with a few dozen attorneys and politicians.

It's the same with Liberal Cities who enforce mandatory recycling nonsense on their citizens. There is no choice in that. Just somebody's money-making scam who makes deals with friends of companies and then spins it to the citizens as Thinking Green.

Global Warming = Global Scam

Again, they're not so much of making rules for Bob Green to recycle his milk boxes as much as they are talking Princes in the UAE to donate 5 million to fund coral reef decay research.

Navinabob 11-03-15 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 12635657)
The people who attend these global warming summits are not solving problems. All they are doing is partying, eating expensive food, planning next year's meeting, and burning huge amounts of fossil fuels.

Last year they raised $200 billion. Almost $100 billion of that went directly to poorer countries to move towards sustainable energy and deal with disasters like floods, storms and heat-waves.

Oh, and I heard they had bread from these tiny baskets that they ate off of these cute white plates. I understand they had individually wrapped butter too. Fuckers.

DVD Polizei 11-03-15 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12635695)
Again, they're not so much of making rules for Bob Green to recycle his milk boxes as much as they are talking Princes in the UAE to donate 5 million to fund coral reef decay research.

Yeah I won't disagree with that agenda.

grundle 11-04-15 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12635715)
Last year they raised $200 billion. Almost $100 billion of that went directly to poorer countries to move towards sustainable energy and deal with disasters like floods, storms and heat-waves.

Oh, and I heard they had bread from these tiny baskets that they ate off of these cute white plates. I understand they had individually wrapped butter too. Fuckers.

Please cite a source which shows that the meeting from last year raised $200 billion.

Navinabob 11-04-15 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 12636032)
Please cite a source which shows that the meeting from last year raised $200 billion.

http://fortune.com/2014/09/23/climat...-clean-energy/

grundle 11-04-15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12636385)

Thank you.

It says they promised to pay the money. But let's assume they are telling the truth. So OK - you gave me the answer I wanted.

That being said, it seems to me that they could have made the same promise on the phone, or with email, or with skype. They didn't have to have that big party with the private jets and the fancy food.

Navinabob 11-04-15 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 12636546)
Thank you.

It says they promised to pay the money. But let's assume they are telling the truth. So OK - you gave me the answer I wanted.

That being said, it seems to me that they could have made the same promise on the phone, or with email, or with skype. They didn't have to have that big party with the private jets and the fancy food.

True... But rich people do rich people stuff. Maybe in the near future we'll have those cool hologram meetings like in movies.

Troy Stiffler 11-04-15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12636572)
Maybe in the near future we'll have those cool hologram meetings like in movies.

But, but all that electricity!!! Elitist pigs!!!

grundle 11-08-15 12:28 PM

Here's some good news:

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/...er-than-losses

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses

Oct. 30, 2015

A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.

The research challenges the conclusions of other studies, including the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) 2013 report, which says that Antarctica is overall losing land ice.

According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001. That net gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008.

“We’re essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine Island region of West Antarctica,” said Jay Zwally, a glaciologist with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author of the study, which was published on Oct. 30 in the Journal of Glaciology. “Our main disagreement is for East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica – there, we see an ice gain that exceeds the losses in the other areas.” Zwally added that his team “measured small height changes over large areas, as well as the large changes observed over smaller areas.”

Scientists calculate how much the ice sheet is growing or shrinking from the changes in surface height that are measured by the satellite altimeters. In locations where the amount of new snowfall accumulating on an ice sheet is not equal to the ice flow downward and outward to the ocean, the surface height changes and the ice-sheet mass grows or shrinks.

But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica’s growth to reverse, according to Zwally. “If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years -- I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses.”

The study analyzed changes in the surface height of the Antarctic ice sheet measured by radar altimeters on two European Space Agency European Remote Sensing (ERS) satellites, spanning from 1992 to 2001, and by the laser altimeter on NASA’s Ice, Cloud, and land Elevation Satellite (ICESat) from 2003 to 2008.

Zwally said that while other scientists have assumed that the gains in elevation seen in East Antarctica are due to recent increases in snow accumulation, his team used meteorological data beginning in 1979 to show that the snowfall in East Antarctica actually decreased by 11 billion tons per year during both the ERS and ICESat periods. They also used information on snow accumulation for tens of thousands of years, derived by other scientists from ice cores, to conclude that East Antarctica has been thickening for a very long time.

“At the end of the last Ice Age, the air became warmer and carried more moisture across the continent, doubling the amount of snow dropped on the ice sheet,” Zwally said.

The extra snowfall that began 10,000 years ago has been slowly accumulating on the ice sheet and compacting into solid ice over millennia, thickening the ice in East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica by an average of 0.7 inches (1.7 centimeters) per year. This small thickening, sustained over thousands of years and spread over the vast expanse of these sectors of Antarctica, corresponds to a very large gain of ice – enough to outweigh the losses from fast-flowing glaciers in other parts of the continent and reduce global sea level rise.

Zwally’s team calculated that the mass gain from the thickening of East Antarctica remained steady from 1992 to 2008 at 200 billion tons per year, while the ice losses from the coastal regions of West Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula increased by 65 billion tons per year.

“The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away,” Zwally said. “But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.”

“The new study highlights the difficulties of measuring the small changes in ice height happening in East Antarctica,” said Ben Smith, a glaciologist with the University of Washington in Seattle who was not involved in Zwally’s study.

"Doing altimetry accurately for very large areas is extraordinarily difficult, and there are measurements of snow accumulation that need to be done independently to understand what’s happening in these places,” Smith said.

To help accurately measure changes in Antarctica, NASA is developing the successor to the ICESat mission, ICESat-2, which is scheduled to launch in 2018. “ICESat-2 will measure changes in the ice sheet within the thickness of a No. 2 pencil,” said Tom Neumann, a glaciologist at Goddard and deputy project scientist for ICESat-2. “It will contribute to solving the problem of Antarctica’s mass balance by providing a long-term record of elevation changes.”

Navinabob 11-09-15 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 12639494)
Here's some good news:

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/...er-than-losses

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses

Oct. 30, 2015

A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.

The research challenges the conclusions of other studies, including the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) 2013 report, which says that Antarctica is overall losing land ice.

According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001. That net gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008.

“We’re essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine Island region of West Antarctica,” said Jay Zwally, a glaciologist with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author of the study, which was published on Oct. 30 in the Journal of Glaciology. “Our main disagreement is for East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica – there, we see an ice gain that exceeds the losses in the other areas.” Zwally added that his team “measured small height changes over large areas, as well as the large changes observed over smaller areas.”

Scientists calculate how much the ice sheet is growing or shrinking from the changes in surface height that are measured by the satellite altimeters. In locations where the amount of new snowfall accumulating on an ice sheet is not equal to the ice flow downward and outward to the ocean, the surface height changes and the ice-sheet mass grows or shrinks.

But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica’s growth to reverse, according to Zwally. “If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years -- I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses.”

The study analyzed changes in the surface height of the Antarctic ice sheet measured by radar altimeters on two European Space Agency European Remote Sensing (ERS) satellites, spanning from 1992 to 2001, and by the laser altimeter on NASA’s Ice, Cloud, and land Elevation Satellite (ICESat) from 2003 to 2008.

Zwally said that while other scientists have assumed that the gains in elevation seen in East Antarctica are due to recent increases in snow accumulation, his team used meteorological data beginning in 1979 to show that the snowfall in East Antarctica actually decreased by 11 billion tons per year during both the ERS and ICESat periods. They also used information on snow accumulation for tens of thousands of years, derived by other scientists from ice cores, to conclude that East Antarctica has been thickening for a very long time.

“At the end of the last Ice Age, the air became warmer and carried more moisture across the continent, doubling the amount of snow dropped on the ice sheet,” Zwally said.

The extra snowfall that began 10,000 years ago has been slowly accumulating on the ice sheet and compacting into solid ice over millennia, thickening the ice in East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica by an average of 0.7 inches (1.7 centimeters) per year. This small thickening, sustained over thousands of years and spread over the vast expanse of these sectors of Antarctica, corresponds to a very large gain of ice – enough to outweigh the losses from fast-flowing glaciers in other parts of the continent and reduce global sea level rise.

Zwally’s team calculated that the mass gain from the thickening of East Antarctica remained steady from 1992 to 2008 at 200 billion tons per year, while the ice losses from the coastal regions of West Antarctica and the Antarctic Peninsula increased by 65 billion tons per year.

“The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away,” Zwally said. “But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.”

“The new study highlights the difficulties of measuring the small changes in ice height happening in East Antarctica,” said Ben Smith, a glaciologist with the University of Washington in Seattle who was not involved in Zwally’s study.

"Doing altimetry accurately for very large areas is extraordinarily difficult, and there are measurements of snow accumulation that need to be done independently to understand what’s happening in these places,” Smith said.

To help accurately measure changes in Antarctica, NASA is developing the successor to the ICESat mission, ICESat-2, which is scheduled to launch in 2018. “ICESat-2 will measure changes in the ice sheet within the thickness of a No. 2 pencil,” said Tom Neumann, a glaciologist at Goddard and deputy project scientist for ICESat-2. “It will contribute to solving the problem of Antarctica’s mass balance by providing a long-term record of elevation changes.”

The trend in general seems to be: "Two steps forward, three steps back"

orangecrush 11-09-15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12640292)
The trend in general seems to be: "Two steps forward, three steps back"

Better than zero steps forward, I suppose.

grundle 11-23-15 01:03 PM

I wonder if something that started out as a "joke" will eventually end up becoming reality.

I wonder if, perhaps someday, people will need a note from their doctor in order to be able to take a bath instead of a shower.

http://www.thelocal.se/20151121/swed...al-bathtub-ban

Swedish king calls for ban on bathtubs

21 Nov 2015

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden has called for a ban on bathtubs to help cut emissions in an interview ahead of UN climate talks in Paris.

“All bathtubs should be banned. Just imagine it!”, he exclaimed
in an interview published in the Svenska Dagbladet newspaper on Saturday.

Carl XVI Gustaf said that the idea had come to him the day before the interview, as he was going through his morning routine and was forced to run a bath, because the room in which he was staying lacked a shower.

“It took a lot of fresh water and energy,” he said. “It struck me so clearly: it’s not wise that I have to do this. I really felt ashamed then, I really did.”

Later in the interview, he cautioned that the suggestion was a little “lighthearted”.

“But there is a truth there,” he maintained. “Those small details have an enormous effect.”

Carl XVI Gustaf, who will be in Paris on November 30 for the conference’s opening, has long maintained an interest in the environment, taking part in both the UN Conference on the Human Environment in Stockholm in 1972, and the UN Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992.

“When was it that Al Gore started?” he asked, when pressed on when he realised the importance of climate change. “That was the same time I wanted to highlight this issue, but he beat me to it. And he was better suited as a lecturer.”

The king, who is notorious for his large fleet of automobiles, explained that he already often used an environmental car when he drove into central Stockholm from the royal family’s residence at the Drottningholm Palace.

“I have a hybrid car right now, so when I drive into town, I drive completely electric,” he said.

He said he was also attempting to reduce his consumption of meat to cut emissions. “Personally I am eating less meat,” he said.

Sweden should be commended for its own role in pushing for an international climate deal starting with the 1972 conference, he argued.
More from The Local

“Stockholm held the first big conference, which is something we should be proud of,” he said.. “Since then this issue has been discussed around the world.”

He said he was confident that the Paris conference would not collapse in failure as happened at the Copenhagen Summit in 2009.

“There’s a feeling in the air that we’re going to manage this,” he said.

kvrdave 11-23-15 03:10 PM

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/06/clim...tic_discovery/

Good article on methane plumes. Climate dudes thought that the methane released at the bottom of the ocean would be dissolved by the time they reach the surface. Apparently it use to but methane plumes are starting and we may well be fucked. :lol:

Enjoy your day knowing we're ALL GONNA' DIE!!!!!

grundle 11-24-15 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 12652301)
http://www.salon.com/2014/08/06/clim...tic_discovery/

Good article on methane plumes. Climate dudes thought that the methane released at the bottom of the ocean would be dissolved by the time they reach the surface. Apparently it use to but methane plumes are starting and we may well be fucked. :lol:

Enjoy your day knowing we're ALL GONNA' DIE!!!!!

I would think at some point, someone will invent an economical way to process that methane on a large enough scale to deal with it. The real question is when. The sooner the better.

Mabuse 11-24-15 01:34 PM

BTW the king of Sweden is a powerless rich guy. Not the head of state. He's also wrong. Baths use less water than showering unless you take very short showers.

majorjoe23 11-24-15 01:48 PM

Are you sure about that? I was just Googling on some home repair sites.

Most regular showerheads use 2.5 gallons per minute and most showers are 10 minutes or less. A 60x30x15 tub holds 80 gallons of water (though you would probably only fill it about 2/3 full).

Plus, you can get low flow showerheads and use even less.

DVD Polizei 11-24-15 02:20 PM

Gustaf: "Hey, let's ban rivers!"

Lt Ripley 11-24-15 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12653150)
low flow showerheads

Eeew. I like to feel like the soap has been completely rinsed away. I detest those things.

Sean O'Hara 11-24-15 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12653139)
BTW the king of Sweden is a powerless rich guy. Not the head of state.

Yes he is.

Today, Sweden is a constitutional monarchy and a parliamentary democracy, with the Monarch as the head of state.

Tuan Jim 11-27-15 11:36 AM

Really surprised not to see this article posted yet:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ievable-scale/

A German professor has confirmed what skeptics from Britain to the US have long suspected: that NASA’s Goddard Institute of Space Studies has largely invented “global warming” by tampering with the raw temperature data records.

Professor Dr. Friedrich Karl Ewert is a retired geologist and data computation expert. He has painstakingly examined and tabulated all NASA GISS’s temperature data series, taken from 1153 stations and going back to 1881. His conclusion: that if you look at the raw data, as opposed to NASA’s revisions, you’ll find that since 1940 the planet has been cooling, not warming.

According to Günter Ederer, the German journalist who has reported on Ewert’s findings:

From the publicly available data, Ewert made an unbelievable discovery: Between the years 2010 and 2012 the data measured since 1881 were altered so that they showed a significant warming, especially after 1950. […] A comparison of the data from 2010 with the data of 2012 shows that NASA-GISS had altered its own datasets so that especially after WWII a clear warming appears – although it never existed.
Apart from Australia, the planet has in fact been on a cooling trend:

Using the NASA data from 2010 the surface temperature globally from 1940 until today has fallen by 1.110°C, and since 2000 it has fallen 0.4223°C […]. The cooling has hit every continent except for Australia, which warmed by 0.6339°C since 2000. The figures for Europe: From 1940 to 2010, using the data from 2010, there was a cooling of 0.5465°C and a cooling of 0.3739°C since 2000.
But the activist scientists at NASA GISS – initially led by James Hansen (pictured above), later by Gavin Schmidt – wanted the records they are in charge of maintaining to show warming not cooling, so they began systematically adjusting the data for various spurious reasons using ten different methods.

The most commonly used ones were:

• Reducing the annual mean in the early phase.
• Reducing the high values in the first warming phase.
• Increasing individual values during the second warming phase.
• Suppression of the second cooling phase starting in 1995.
• Shortening the early decades of the datasets.
• With the long-term datasets, even the first century was shortened.

Ewert’s findings echo that of US meteorologists Joseph D’Aleo and Anthony Watts who examined 6,000 NASA weather stations and found a host of irregularities both with the way they were sited and how the raw data had been adjusted to reflect such influences as the Urban Heat Island effect.

Further images at link.

Really just a follow up to the UK reporting in Feb:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...ndal-ever.html

See also: https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/...gavin-schmidt/

Original German article BB linked from: http://www.achgut.com/dadgdx/index.p...When:15:45:00Z

But hey..."the science is settled" so what's another few trillion $$$ in wasted carbon taxes, etc.? Right?