Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Supreme Court -- 2011 and beyond discussion

Old 06-27-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Supreme Court -- 2011 and beyond discussion

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Here's another one from me, asshole. Fuck you.
Vib - Was this directed at me personally or a specific group of DVD talk members in this forum that you have disagreements with?

(or was it to someone else)
Old 06-27-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

re Obergefell v Hodges, I could see a conservative SCOTUS possibly rolling back gay marriage rights. I hope it doesn’t happen.

I’m sure, though if any of the straight marrieds on this board woke up to the possibility of SCOTUS invalidating their marriages, they’d be totally fine with it, right?
Old 06-27-18, 08:43 PM
Banned by request

I could see them carving out religious exceptions for the Kim Davises of the world.
Old 06-27-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
re Obergefell v Hodges, I could see a conservative SCOTUS possibly rolling back gay marriage rights. I hope it doesn’t happen.

I’m sure, though if any of the straight marrieds on this board woke up to the possibility of SCOTUS invalidating their marriages, they’d be totally fine with it, right?
Yep, I could see that. Trump and Co. would love to tear that away from Americans too. They’ve got plenty of time now to ruin lives. And people here will applaud their actions.
Old 06-27-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I could see them carving out religious exceptions for the Kim Davises of the world.
As in, they would let gay christians marry? There are no such people!
Old 06-27-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kennedy' retirement may not be all it appears to be given his son's business associations ("Trump’s hidden back channel to Justice Kennedy: Their kids").

In 2013, Kennedy and Cobb co-founded 3650 REIT's development affiliate, Grass River Property, a South Florida developer and manager of mixed-use, urban infill and transit-oriented properties. In partnership with institutional investors, Grass River owns 14 development and equity investments totaling more than 1.8M SF. Before Grass River, Kennedy and Cobb were co-CEOs of LNR Property, and before that Kennedy spent 11 years at Deutsche Bank as managing director and global head of real estate capital markets. Before LNR, Cobb was managing director and co-head of U.S. commercial real estate at Deutsche Bank, leading fixed rate and GSE originations and its loan servicing platform.
from July of 2011-
Kushner reaches tentative deal with LNR to save 666 Fifth
He may be a swing voter, but I was still crushed when I immediately heard the news that Trump was likely going to get another SC appointment before the hammer came down.
However the people I generally follow to make sense of this stuff appear to be in a good mood and are saying this is actually augers more positive developments to come down soon. Apparently Schindler is providing some tasty info behind the paywall at his Twitter subscription account.

Justin is also in tight business and social-wise with Peter Thiel.

One other thing that's interesting to note- McConnell cancels Senate's August recess (June 5, 2018)
Old 06-27-18, 09:38 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Here's another one from me, asshole. Fuck you.
mod note - I realize people are upset about this situation and tensions are running hot, but we’re not going to stand for this kind of personal attack.
Old 06-27-18, 09:45 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
There sure is a lot of that going around.
mod note - Your needling is getting tiresome. You’re obviously doing it to get a reaction. If you are here to troll it is going to stop one way or another.
Old 06-27-18, 09:59 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
How glib of you to reduce it down to "I'm just rooting for my team."

One team supports things I find morally repugnant and the other supports things I find morally imperative. Sorry if that comes across to you like cheering for the Stanley Cup, but I promise you it isn't.
I insinuated that the Republicans are the ultimate hypocrites for putting their political ideology above the laws of this land and are only interested in power, not the rule of law. If that upsets you, I don't know what to say.
Old 06-27-18, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

No, I would absolutely be extremely upset and devastated by that. I was in favor of SSM long before Obama, Hillary and most other Dems who didn't change sides until the polls did.

Anyway, not going to happen.
Old 06-27-18, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
No, I would absolutely be extremely upset and devastated by that. I was in favor of SSM long before Obama, Hillary and most other Dems who didn't change sides until the polls did.

Who do you think would stop it from happening?
Old 06-27-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by movielib View Post

Glad to hear of your support. I don't think it's a stretch to think that a heavily conservative court might start rolling those protections back, though.

If Roe v Wade gets revisited, we'll see what happens next.
Old 06-27-18, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if it might be smart of McConnel to hold off on the confirmation. The senate is staying Republican and it would close the enthusiasm gap for voting.
Old 06-27-18, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I insinuated that the Republicans are the ultimate hypocrites for putting their political ideology above the laws of this land and are only interested in power, not the rule of law. If that upsets you, I don't know what to say.
It read to me as dismissive of the whole process as just a game, but I clearly misread your intent. My apologies for misreading you and calling you out on a sentiment that clearly was not your intent.
Old 06-28-18, 12:38 AM
Banned

You do know that "straight marrieds" have had their marriages nullified, don't you? Entire groups of "straight marrieds."

If the federal government can enforce a law, eventually people just have to learn to live with it. Based upon historical precedent.

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-28-18 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

mod note - Your needling is getting tiresome. You’re obviously doing it to get a reaction. If you are here to troll it is going to stop one way or another.
Vin - I can appreciate the difficult job as a Mod but any reaction intended in my post was to note that there were so many "fuck" comments and that members here were going completely overboard with the word "fuck" with my post to Kurtie.

The below are from posts in this thread said and then repeatedly said before my reply in no particular order:

"For fuck's sake!"

"fuck you"

"Oh, fuck off"

"We're fucked"

"Fuck. You"

"fuck you"

"fuck that guy"

We even had a post with "I extend both my middle fingers"

"I’d like to extend a hearty 'fuck you!'”

(admittedly one of the "fuck"s posted was from me with a "Wow!' reaction)

I'm afraid that Vib's post may have been a little heated, I did attempt to reach out to her.
Old 06-28-18, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With all due respect, there are about 3-4 Trump people here and we make up less then 5%. Most of the time we get a snide response (along with a few 'fuck you' thrown around, your a heartless bastard, etc) or we get some mass hysteria response that the world is going to end. They have been saying this the day Trump took office that the economy was going to tank, the stock market tank, we will be at war, we will be having nuclear missiles lobbed at us, etc. NONE of that has come true, so to say he was needling when the hyperbole here is at an all-time high EVERYDAY is really not fair.

I honestly wish you guys would just be honest and close off the the political threads to any Trump voters because nobody wants to hear our side anyway. You don't like any Trump voters, you don't respect Trump voters, and you don't really want to hear what any Trump voters have to say because you think were all deploarables. The constant hyperbole responses are not debatable as you can't argue on emotion with people. This thread is the essense of Trump Derangement Syndrome, with the exception of a few here on the other side.

Last edited by mcnabb; 06-28-18 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's hyperbole and what's rational when faced with Trump?

Trump is imprisoning children and infants. He's still doing this. Trump has banned asylum seekers entering from Mexico, and now the Supreme Court has supported his Muslim ban (his words). He is dismantling the EPA in all but name—even the most common-sense regulations designed to protect our waters—and favoring coal when the market itself is moving away from it. He effectively killed the ACA and replaced it with nothing, when many Americans depended on its protections to survive.

Trump is a bully, damaging our relationships with the rest of the world, and constantly trolling and antagonizing the left. Just yesterday, Trump's court dealt a possible deathblow to unions, in a decision that will harm workers on a case that was a targeted attack on Democratic fundraising sources.

Now, Trump has the ability to stack the court such that women's control over their own bodies, marriage equality, and other issues we care deeply about may be overturned and stand for generations.

And all this despite the fact that most people don't want him there.

The GOP is waging all-out war, and has been for a decade. It took too long for Democrats to realize this.

So, yes: we're angry.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 06-28-18 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post

Trump is imprisoning children and infants. He's still doing this. Trump has banned asylum seekers entering from Mexico, and now the Supreme Court has supported his Muslim ban (his words). He is dismantling the EPA in all but name—even the most common-sense regulations designed to protect our waters—and favoring coal when the market itself is moving away from it. He effectively killed the ACA and replaced it with nothing, when many Americans depended on its protections to survive.

Trump is a bully, damaging our relationships with the rest of the world, and constantly trolling and antagonizing the left. Just yesterday, Trump's court dealt a possible deathblow to unions, in a decision that will harm workers on a case that was a targeted attack on Democratic fundraising sources.

Now, Trump has the ability to stack the court such that women's control over their own bodies, marriage equality, and other issues we care deeply about may be overturned and stand for generations.

The GOP is waging all-out war, and has been for a decade. It took too long for Democrats to realize this.

But her emails ...
Old 06-28-18, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, the poor pitiful Trumpers who are getting their fee fees hurt here could always start their own website where they could sealion to their hearts' content. It would make my life more pleasant for sure.
Old 06-28-18, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, I've been a registered independent for as long as I've been able to vote. In the past I have frequently voted for both Republicans and Democrats. That continued even during the Obama administration, at least for state and local races. In 2016, facing Trump and what this party has become, I voted straight Democratic. I will never again vote for another GOP candidate.
Old 06-28-18, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Almost everything you said was either not true or a very exaggerated interpretation, so I can understand why you would be angry.
Old 06-28-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Almost everything you said was either not true or a very exaggerated interpretation, so I can understand why you would be angry.
Everything he said is true. I know Trump and Co. created “alternative facts” but that doesn’t mean the rest of us have to go along with it.
Old 06-28-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
With all due respect, there are about 3-4 Trump people here and we make up less then 5%. Most of the time we get a snide response (along with a few 'fuck you' thrown around, your a heartless bastard, etc) or we get some mass hysteria response that the world is going to end. They have been saying this the day Trump took office that the economy was going to tank, the stock market tank, we will be at war, we will be having nuclear missiles lobbed at us, etc. NONE of that has come true, so to say he was needling when the hyperbole here is at an all-time high EVERYDAY is really not fair.

I honestly wish you guys would just be honest and close off the the political threads to any Trump voters because nobody wants to hear our side anyway. You don't like any Trump voters, you don't respect Trump voters, and you don't really want to hear what any Trump voters have to say because you think were all deploarables. The constant hyperbole responses are not debatable as you can't argue on emotion with people. This thread is the essense of Trump Derangement Syndrome, with the exception of a few here on the other side.
Now who is using hyperbole?

What would you like to say about Trump that is positive? We havent all burned up in a nuk war with NK? Is that the bar you are setting?
Old 06-28-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trump is imprisoning children and infants. .
Obama did it too?

https://qz.com/1291470/photos-immigr...enter-in-2014/

and now the Supreme Court has supported his Muslim ban (his words). .
Here are the 7 countries on that list: North Korea, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Libya, and Venezuela. Not all of those countries have Muslim populations. And the last time I checked is Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, or other Muslim countries on that ban?

. He effectively killed the ACA and replaced it with nothing, when many Americans depended on its protections to survive.

Many million of INSURED people lost their insurance when the ACA went into effect, as remember when Obama said, "If you like your health plan, you can keep your health plan!" That was a lie as people lost their insurance, and/or ended up taking worse insurance plans with much higher deductibles. So the ACA wasn't all rosy for everyone!

Unions make up 12% of the workforce these days, as this isn't 1955. My dad was in a union his whole life so I know a lot about them and they are inefficient because their rules are so stringent and that is why they have slowly dissolved through the years. I run a non-union company and my employees . I have a very low turnover rate in my work as most of my employees have been here 20+ years and all have worked for union companies, and never went back.

I hate to break it to but 50% of the country thinks Abortion is murder, so that is the platform for the Republican Party. You may not like it (and I don't agree with that either), but there are people who feel just as strongly as you do on the other side. The Supreme Court has an ebb and flow like it has been since the beginning of time, as the Liberal courts ruled in the 60's, and now it will be more conservative for another generation. Someday it will swing back again to the left.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.