DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Aftermath of bin laden liquidation (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/590323-aftermath-bin-laden-liquidation.html)

Pharoh 05-02-11 09:53 AM

Aftermath of bin laden liquidation

It appears that Mir Ali and Miranshah are on lockdown, or at least to whatever extent that is possible. Will it have an effect, or will reprisals against Pakistani targets happen immediately?

And does this move signal a new and increased cooperation between Islamabad and Riyadh?

To me it looks as if the middle east proxy wars are going to greatly heat up.

printerati 05-02-11 10:16 AM

Re: Aftermath of bin laden liquidation

Bin Laden liquidation! All Jews must go! Nothing held back!

classicman2 05-02-11 11:02 AM

The U.S. made a huge mistake decades ago when we hitched our wagon to the wrong team.

The reason - Cold War hysteria.

Talkin2Phil 05-02-11 11:18 AM

Follow the money

where did the funds come from to build the compound? how complicit is Islamabad?

Ky-Fi 05-02-11 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil (Post 10753066)
Follow the money

where did the funds come from to build the compound?

The US taxpayer.

arminius 05-02-11 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 10753071)
The US taxpayer.

http://firstparish.info/HelpingOut/i...s_Us-large.jpg

OldDude 05-02-11 11:42 AM

Follow the money

where did the funds come from to build the compound? how complicit is Islamabad?

In a repressive country with a repressive government, 100 m away from their main military academy, you would expect this compound to raise a few questions. It's like putting on a blindfold and saying "I don't see anything."

They at least deserve a "Three Monkeys" award for their role in hiding Bin Laden. Some people were most likely on the take, or secret supporters, and part of the conspiracy.

Pharoh 05-02-11 04:00 PM

Follow the money

Certainly a great many members of the ISI were complicit, but so were many in the Saudi royal family. bin laden still derived much of his funding from Riyadh.

However, this operation leads me to believe that much of that support has been pulled, and that Riyadh is making deals now with Islamabad.

Pharoh 05-02-11 04:01 PM

Two more quick question:

1. Will there be reprisals, and if so any in America?

2. How bad will the airports be for me over the next week or two?

wishbone 05-02-11 04:12 PM

We will be on heightened security alert, guaranteed. I'm hopeful that we will not have any reprisals on our soil but vigilance is key.

kvrdave 05-02-11 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh (Post 10753500)
Two more quick question:

1. I don't think they ever stopped trying to do things in America, so I doubt there is much change. It would suck to be a Westerner in the Middle East, though. Of course, it would always suck.

2. I don't think it will be any different. No major attack will come from air travel, is my guess.

Supermallet 05-02-11 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh (Post 10753500)
Two more quick question:

1. My prediction was an attack on London within 36 hours.

2. I wouldn't go to an airport this week if you paid me.

nevermind 05-02-11 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10753540)

2. I wouldn't go to an airport this week if you paid me.

Why not? The TSA will protect you.

PopcornTreeCt 05-02-11 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 10753519)
1. I don't think they ever stopped trying to do things in America, so I doubt there is much change. It would suck to be a Westerner in the Middle East, though. Of course, it would always suck.

Exactly. I think the hysteria over another attack is just that, hysteria.

Just booked airline tickets for a trip next week.

Troy Stiffler 05-02-11 04:52 PM

My view... If anything major happened over here, prior to the end of the war, the reaction of millitary action over there would be overwhelming to the point where the moderate Middle-East would finally rise up against the radicals. They would have nobody left on their side. It would be like Earth VS Them.

Supermallet 05-02-11 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by nevermind (Post 10753550)

But who will protect me from the TSA?

Th0r S1mpson 05-02-11 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10753576)
But who will protect me from the TSA?

Yeah, I'm flying with my kids soon and I'm really not looking forward to the super double grope twist that will be performed for my safety.

B5Erik 05-02-11 06:25 PM

I've been saying for years that Bin Laden is one bad guy, but even worse is his right hand man - Ayman Al Zawahiri.

I would assume that Al Zawahiri becomes the new #1 with Bin Laden gone. That's not a good thing. Al Zawahiri is one angry, vicious man - and he's really smart. It has been speculated that he's the one who got Al Qaeda to target American civilians instead of military and political targets like the U.S.S. Cole and various embassies. He's worse than Bin Laden.

I've been hoping that he'd receive the Bin Laden treatment for years. He needs to be put down.

nevermind 05-02-11 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 10753677)
I've been saying for years that Bin Laden is one bad guy, but even worse is his right hand man - Ayman Al Zawahiri.

I would assume that Al Zawahiri becomes the new #1 with Bin Laden gone. That's not a good thing. Al Zawahiri is one angry, vicious man - and he's really smart. It has been speculated that he's the one who got Al Qaeda to target American civilians instead of military and political targets like the U.S.S. Cole and various embassies. He's worse than Bin Laden.

I've been hoping that he'd receive the Bin Laden treatment for years. He needs to be put down.

The US should probably check here for him first

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/63/22...325f4653af.jpg

NotThatGuy 05-02-11 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by nevermind (Post 10753550)

Before or after they start groping kids and old ladies?

Troy Stiffler 05-02-11 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue (Post 10753866)
Before or after they start groping kids and old ladies?

Quit being a cynic.

(they do it after)

DVD Polizei 05-03-11 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 10753572)
My view... If anything major happened over here, prior to the end of the war, the reaction of millitary action over there would be overwhelming to the point where the moderate Middle-East would finally rise up against the radicals. They would have nobody left on their side. It would be like Earth VS Them.

If anything happened over here and the US used their overwhelming force over there, we'd be in trouble. Because just the opposite would happen. Moderates would join radicals. Moderates are moderate because the US has shown reasonable restraint--and we've shelled out a shitload of money to keep them moderate.

Can you really see the US implementing a major US strike and keeping Middle East civilian counts down? I think not. And then add the ME Media showing video and pics of dead civilians 24/7. We'd have problems over here as well.

Bin Laden was used as the last Wild Card. Absolute last. We'll find out just what the US Gov't has planned in the next few months. And just what exactly made them force their hand.

Jason 05-03-11 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 10753677)

Well, if this action has taught us anything, it's that things are afoot that we know absolutely nothing about. They'll get him.

benedict 05-04-11 03:28 AM

similis duci seneci

So Ayman Al Zawahiri will be the new head of the hydra? And after him?

jfoobar 05-04-11 08:05 AM

Follow the money

Also, if you watch the video of bin Laden being shot, you can see his head goes back and to the left. Back and to the left.