Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-19-17, 11:50 AM   #301
Admin-Self Banned

Re: The One and Only Great Moments in State Government thread

Florida!
Old 04-20-17, 08:50 AM   #302
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like they want to inject religion into the science curriculum.

Oklahoma Is Trying To Undermine Science In Classrooms (Again)
This is the seventh year in a row Sen. Josh Brecheen has introduced a bill targeting science education.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b9e9848a1837
Old 04-26-17, 10:36 AM   #303
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
A Beaverton man who has a bachelor of science degree in engineering and has repeatedly challenged Oregon's timing of yellow traffic lights as too short was investigated by a state board for "unlicensed practice of engineering'' and fined $500.

Now, Mats Järlström has joined with the national Institute for Justice to file a federal civil rights lawsuit against members of the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying.

He contends state law and the board's actions that disallow anyone from using the word "engineer" if they're not an Oregon-licensed professional engineer amount to an "unconstitutional ban on mathematical debate.''

"It's important in my mind we can share ideas freely in Oregon to promote innovation,'' the 56-year-old said. "I feel violated at this point in time.''

Eric Engelson, a spokesman with thestate board, declined comment Tuesday.

For the state board to initiate an investigation against Järlström is a direct attack on his free speech, his lawyers argue. Järlström identified himself as an engineer in emails he sent to city officials and the Washington County sheriff challenging the timing of Oregon's yellow traffic lights.

The state law that defines "engineer'' violates the First Amendment, their suit contends.

They also say Järlström isn't alone in getting snared by the state engineering board's aggressive enforcement of its interpretation of the word.

"The government does not have the power to take speech that is objectively true, declare it false and then punish speakers who -- wittingly or unwittingly – deviate from the government's idiosyncratic definition,'' wrote attorney William Ohle in the suit.

"Järlström thus brings this federal civil rights lawsuit," Ohle wrote, "to vindicate his and others' constitutional right to speak out on any topic – however complex it may be – and to describe themselves truthfully using the word 'engineer.' ''

This isn't Järlström's first foray into federal court.

In 2014, a judge tossed out Järlström's civil rights lawsuit against Beaverton that claimed the city's yellow lights were too short at intersections where the city had installed cameras to catch motorists running red lights.

His interest in the matter stemmed from a red-light-running ticket that his wife received in the mail in 2013. Since then, Järlström has conducted his own studies, presented his findings to local media and "60 Minutes" and even to the annual meeting last summer of the Institute of Transportation Engineers. He's currently working on an article to submit to an academic journal.

Järlström is a Swedish-born electronics engineer. After serving as an airplane-camera mechanic in the Swedish Air Force, he worked for Luxor Electronics and immigrated to the United States in 1992, settling in Oregon. Currently, he's self-employed, testing audio products and repairing and calibrating test instruments.

"The First Amendment guarantees to every American their right to debate anything and everything,'' said attorney Samuel Gedge, of the Institute for Justice. "And nobody needs a government permission slip to talk.''

According to the suit, the state board has initiated similar "outrageous'' investigations against others for using the word "engineer,'' including Portland City Commissioner Dan Saltzman:

-- In 2014, the board received a complaint that the Voters' Pamphlet described Salatzman's background as "environmental engineer.'' Saltzman earned a bachelor of science degree in environmental and civil engineering from Cornell University, a master of science degree from MIT School of Civil Engineering and membership in the American Society of Civil Engineers. He isn't, however, an Oregon-licensed professional engineer. The board investigated, and nearly a year later, voted to warn Saltzman against using the word "engineer" in incorrect ways, according to board meeting minutes.

-- In 2010, an activist told the city council in La Pine that a new power plant would be too loud for nearby neighbors. The board fined the activist $1,000 for "illegal, unlicensed practice of engineering,'' according to board minutes.

-- More recently, the board initiated an investigation into the subject of a Portland Monthly article -- a woman immigrant and entrepreneur featured in an online story titled "The incredible story of an engineer behind Portland's newest bridge.'' The board opened an investigation because the woman wasn't a professionally licensed Oregon engineer. The board questioned the writer, who said the woman profiled didn't use the word "engineer" but her editors included it in the headline. The board ultimately found the allegation unfounded.

-- A board investigation was launched into Republican gubernatorial candidate Allen Alley based on a complaint that he misused the word "engineer'' in one of his political ads. In the ad, he said he'd take a different approach, noting, "I'm an engineer and a problem solver.'' He earned a bachelor of science in mechanical engineering from Purdue University and worked as an engineer for Ford and Boeing and holds a string of engineering-related awards. But because he's not an Oregon-registered professional engineer, the board launched an investigation that's ongoing 10 months later.

Järlström's suit doesn't seek monetary damages, but an order prohibiting the state board from continuing to censure nonlicensed engineers from speaking out, Gedge said. The attorneys will be seeking a preliminary injunction against the state board.

"We're just trying to protect Mats' rights going forward,'' he said.

"Criticizing the government's engineering isn't a crime; it's a constitutional right,'' Gedge said. "Under the First Amendment, you don't need to be a licensed lawyer to write an article critical of a Supreme Court decision. You don't need to be a licensed landscape architect to create a gardening blog, and you don't need to be a licensed engineer to talk about traffic lights.''

The Institute for Justice is a national public interest law firm that advocates for First Amendment rights. It has filed similar types of lawsuits against occupation-licensing boards.

In Kentucky, for example, it filed a suit in federal court after the Kentucky Board of Examiners of Psychology tried to censor the parenting advice of nationally syndicated columnist John Rosemond for "unlicensed practice of psychology.'' A federal judge in 2015 found the state board had "unconstitutionally applied'' state regulations to Rosemond's advice column and barred the board from pursuing such enforcement.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...oregon_st.html
Old 04-26-17, 11:18 AM   #304
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

That's fucking stupid. I deal with engineers all the time. That guy is an engineer. The fact that he isn't a registered P.E. in Oregon makes no difference, and I think his lawyer is right when he says: "The government does not have the power to take speech that is objectively true, declare it false and then punish speakers who -- wittingly or unwittingly – deviate from the government's idiosyncratic definition."
Old 05-04-17, 07:08 AM   #305
DVD Talk Hero

If blacks are slaves to Democrats, I'd hate to see what they are to Republicans.

Karen Handel's husband in hot water over retweet

http://www.cbs46.com/story/35326513/...-deleted-tweet
Old 05-04-17, 01:53 PM   #306
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
If blacks are slaves to Democrats, I'd hate to see what they are to Republicans.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 05-12-17, 08:34 AM   #307
DVD Talk Hero

From the man who believes that women should get permission from the father for an abortion comes this gem :

Lawmaker Says There’s A ‘Distinction’ Between Being Gay And ‘Being A Human Being’

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0031e737c2502
Old 05-13-17, 07:55 PM   #308
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
A long-awaited $10 minimum wage in St. Louis may prove short-lived, as Missouri lawmakers on Friday sent a bill banning local minimum wages to the governor with minutes left to spare in the legislative session.

But not before Senate Democrats put up a fight, with a lengthy filibuster earlier in the week and a wide-ranging series of procedural moves Friday in a futile attempt to block a vote on the bill.

They managed to stall its final passage for more than two hours but couldn’t prevent final passage.

“We’re not going to follow the rules if you don’t follow the rules,” Sen. Jamilah Nasheed, D-St. Louis, told Republicans on the floor. Nasheed has been a vocal opponent of the legislation, arguing that cities have the right to determine a living wage for their residents.

The increase took effect in St. Louis last week, marking what low-wage workers had hoped was the end of a two-year legal fight with business groups that had challenged the city ordinance.

St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson released a statement calling the passage “a setback for working families” and vowing to “work with others to get an increase in the (statewide) minimum wage on the ballot since our state Legislature won’t address it.”

“Every city and town in our state does not have the same issues, needs or economy. A big city frequently has different problems than a very small one,” she said in the statement.

Under that city ordinance, the wage was set to rise again in January 2018 to $11 an hour, then increase annually with inflation.

A jarring change may be ahead for workers and businesses who may revert back to the state minimum wage of $7.70 an hour.

It’s a situation the Missouri House had hoped to avoid by fast-tracking its version to the Senate in March in the hopes it could be signed into law before the injunction on the increase was lifted in St. Louis. But the Senate didn’t take up the bill until the session’s final days.

Republicans contend the measure is necessary for the sake of consistency, saying a patchwork of different minimum wage laws throughout the state would be burdensome to Missouri businesses.

Democrats on Friday deemed it “a horrible piece of legislation.”
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/g...7e8aea5dc.html

Republicans in a nutshell:

Old 05-14-17, 07:02 PM   #309
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Republicans in N.C. Senate cut education funding — but only in Democratic districts. Really.

This bit of North Carolina news won’t get as much attention as the infamous “bathroom bill,” which insisted that people at public schools and other government-run facilities use bathrooms that correspond to the gender listed on their birth certificate, sparking a boycott of the state. But it is worth noting as a new lesson in how not to drag schools and kids into your legislative skirmishes — and as the latest attack on public education by North Carolina Republicans.

During a budget debate in the state Senate that started Thursday and went into the early hours of Friday, Republicans became annoyed at Democrats who, the Republicans thought, were unnecessarily offering amendments and prolonging the session. According to the News & Observer, Democrats offered five amendments pushing funding priorities, each of which was voted down.

At about 1 a.m. Friday, the Republicans halted the proceedings and went into private talks. At about 3 a.m., they returned, and a Republican senator introduced an amendment of his own.

This amendment proposed $1 million in new funding to fight North Carolina’s opioid epidemic, which has been called the most severe public health issue in the state. That’s an issue that would seem to be bipartisan — but there was a twist.

The money to fund new pilot programs for this cause had to come from somewhere, and the Republicans decided to take it out of education programs in Democratic districts, along with other things the Democrats had wanted.

The News & Observer said a rural district in northeastern North Carolina “took the biggest hit” from the amendment, with $316,646 cut from two early college high schools and the state banned from financially supporting a science, math and technology program that has helped many African American and low-income families.

Here’s another nugget: The amendment stripped seven counties, represented by Democrats, from a program that financially supports teacher assistants working on a college degree.

The amendment was passed shortly after 3 a.m. Surprisingly, two Democratic senators, who apparently hadn’t read the details, voted for it.

Whether these cuts will ultimately stand is unclear, but the episode offers teachers a new example to illustrate to students how not to legislate.

And it stands as the latest in a continuing Republican assault on public education in North Carolina, which in the past five years has included severe budget cuts, the promotion of charter schools and school vouchers without sufficient oversight, and the elimination of due-process rights for many teachers.

Late last year, Republicans passed some bills to weaken the incoming Democratic governor’s power, including one that transferred a lot of power from the State Board of Education — most of whose members are appointed by the governor — to the newly elected state superintendent of public instruction, who, not surprisingly, is a Republican. The governor signed it into law in December. Under the law, the governor will no longer appoint members to the governing board of the University of North Carolina system; the legislature will.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.80daae30b2cf

I don't like to throw around the word "evil" lightly, but I can think of no other word to describe someone who takes money from schools simply because their parents had the temerity to vote for Democrats.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 05-14-17, 07:13 PM   #310
DVD Talk Hero

1) Have Democrats ever targeted, retaliated, and reduced funding for Republican organizations exclusively? Just curious on how equal-opportunistic this evil shows itself and where it lives.

2) Either way, not a good show of behavior from Republicans.

3) Where are the major Democrats in this situation? You'd think they would be successfully blocking this.*

Quote:
"The amendment was passed shortly after 3 a.m. Surprisingly, two Democratic senators, who apparently hadn’t read the details, voted for it."
So now we have absolute evil people on the Right and...absolute batshit stupid people on the Left.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 05-14-17, 10:18 PM   #311
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
1) Have Democrats ever targeted, retaliated, and reduced funding for Republican organizations exclusively?
Are you suggesting that public schools are Democratic organizations?

Blog | Twitter
Old 05-15-17, 09:24 AM   #312
DVD Talk Legend

Taking money from education to fight drug abuse is stupid.
Old 05-27-17, 04:42 AM   #313
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you buy that "lynch" is not in his heart, may I interest you in buying some swampland in Idaho?

Quote:
(CNN)A Mississippi Republican lawmaker has apologized after calling for the lynching of politicians who approve of the removal of Confederate monuments.

State Rep. Karl Oliver expressed his frustration over the weekend with a growing movement to get rid of monuments that critics say celebrate slavery.

"The destruction of these monuments, erected in the loving memory of our family and fellow Southern Americans, is both heinous and horrific," he posted on Facebook Saturday. "If the, and I use this term extremely loosely, 'leadership' of Louisiana wishes to, in a Nazi-ish fashion, burn books or destroy historical monuments of OUR HISTORY, they should be LYNCHED!"
"Let it be known, I will do all in my power to prevent this from happening in our state," added Oliver, who has been in the state legislature since 2016.

But after widespread criticism from both sides of the political aisle, the post was removed from Oliver's account and the lawmaker said he was "very sorry" Monday.

"I, first and foremost, wish to extend this apology for any embarrassment I have caused to both my colleagues and fellow Mississippians," he said in a statement. "In an effort to express my passion for preserving all historical monuments, I acknowledge the word 'lynched' was wrong."

"I am very sorry. It is in no way, ever, an appropriate term. I deeply regret that I chose this word, and I do not condone the actions I referenced, nor do I believe them in my heart," Oliver added. "I freely admit my choice of words was horribly wrong, and I humbly ask your forgiveness."

Several of the state's top Republicans, including Mississippi GOP chairman Joe Nosef, condemned the remarks when reached for comment Monday.

"Rep. Oliver's comments were offensive, do not represent the Mississippi Republican Party and have no place in our public discourse," Nosef said in a statement. "I hope he will quickly clear up his remarks to make his point without these inappropriate comments."

In response, several users posted photos of black Americans being lynched in Oliver's Facebook thread, while others called for him to leave office.

The state's Democratic Party didn't have an immediate response. But David McDowell, the head of the Mississippi Democratic Trust, an organization that helps elect Democrats to office, said Oliver's "very treacherous and threatening language" was "shocking."

"Mississippi's history of lynchings is a long and sordid one, a history we should often reflect upon and never take lightly," he said. "Words like these aren't to be thrown around. Representative Oliver should be ashamed of himself; he knows better."

Onlookers cheered Friday as a crane hoisted the statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee from the top of a monument in New Orleans.

The statue was the fourth Civil War-era landmark the city has removed since late April. The removal of New Orleans' controversial monuments has been part of a nationwide debate over Confederate symbols.

While critics argue that they celebrate slavery and racial injustice, others, like Oliver, say they represent history and heritage.
Old 05-27-17, 07:31 AM   #314
DVD Talk Hero

Still haven't figured out that the Confederacy were the bad guys in that one, have they?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 05-27-17, 07:53 AM   #315
DVD Talk Legend

Lynchers gonna lynch.
Old 05-31-17, 09:43 PM   #316

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but whatever.

Quote:
NPR’s Scott Simon, a genial interviewer, asked Rep. Adrian Smith (R-Neb.), a member of the Ways and Means Committee and an influential figure on agriculture policy, about Trump’s proposal to make vast cuts to food stamps. Smith posited that the program could be cut in ways that “do not harm the most vulnerable.”

“Well, let me ask you this bluntly: Is every American entitled to eat?” Simon queried.

Smith was stumped. “Well, they — nutrition, obviously, we know is very important. And I would hope that we can look to — ”

Simon interrupted: “Well, not just important, it’s essential for life. Is every American entitled to eat?”

Smith agreed that nutrition “is essential” but continued to ignore the question about whether Americans are entitled to eat.

Simon tried a third time: “So is every American entitled to eat, and is food stamps something that ought to be that ultimate guarantor?”

Once again, the lawmaker demurred: “I think that we know that, given the necessity of nutrition, there could be a number of ways that we could address that.”

There was more, but it all came down to this: In the United States, in 2017, a powerful member of Congress refuses to grant that Americans should be able to count on eating food.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.3bd71e8c309d
Old 07-03-17, 08:51 AM   #317
DVD Talk Hero

Chris Christie shuts down beaches. Spends Sunday at the beach he closed. Spokesperson tells reporters it's okay because he had a hat on.

Quote:
BERKELEY TOWNSHIP -- People hoping to visit Island Beach State Park this holiday weekend were not allowed in because of the state government shutdown Gov. Chris Christie ordered amid the state budget standoff in Trenton.

But there was one family there: Christie's. They are using the summer beach house provided by the state for a weekend down the Shore.

And here are exclusive aerial photos by NJ Advance Media showing Christie surrounded by wife, Mary Pat Christie, and others. (You can open the photo gallery here to see all the photos.)

It was taken early Sunday afternoon before the governor headed to Trenton to hold another news conference about the shutdown.

At that news conference, Christie was asked if he got any sun Sunday.

"I didn't," he said. "I didn't get any sun today."

When later told of the photo, Brian Murray, the governor's spokesman, said: "Yes, the governor was on the beach briefly today talking to his wife and family before heading into the office."

"He did not get any sun," Murray added. "He had a baseball hat on."

Christie, who first disclosed his weekend plans on Monday, said Sunday he was taking the state helicopter to go back and forth between Island Beach State Park and Trenton.

"I traveled there and I traveled back and I'll travel back again," Christie said. "That's where my family is sleeping, so that's where I'll sleep tonight. When I have a choice between sleeping with my family, and sleeping alone, I generally like to sleep where my family is."

Christie told reporters Saturday that the the beach house is separate from the park and that his family will not ask for any state services.

Asked if this is fair, Christie said Saturday: "Run for governor, and you can have a residence there."

But critics have taken Christie to task for the situation on social media.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 07-03-17, 08:54 AM   #318
DVD Talk Legend

That is outstandingly tone deaf. How was this man considered presidential timber?
Old 07-03-17, 08:57 AM   #319
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
That is outstandingly tone deaf. How was this man considered presidential timber?
I think you've answered your own question.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 07-03-17, 09:07 AM   #320
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Chris Christie shuts down beaches. Spends Sunday at the beach he closed. Spokesperson tells reporters it's okay because he had a hat on.
The party of double standards strikes again
Old 07-03-17, 09:10 AM   #321
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I think he just doesn't care anymore. He is in the last year of his term. After spending months kissing Trump's ass and thoroughly embarrassing himself, Trump dropped him like a rock. And I heard this morning that his approval rating in NJ is 15%.
Old 07-03-17, 09:34 AM   #322
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-03-17, 10:33 AM   #323
DVD Talk Legend

How do you close a beach? In California coastal access is such a big issue, and access points so plentiful, you could never close a beach. I mean you could rope it off or something, but no one would obey.
Old 07-03-17, 11:15 AM   #324

Chicago beaches are closed all the time, they tend to dump sewage in there after a modest rainfall making it a bit unsafe to swim.
Old 07-03-17, 12:26 PM   #325

Know the Facts!