Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

View Poll Results: What % of self-identified Republicans are aware of Obamacare's conservative roots?
0 to 25% 51 77.27%
26 to 50% 5 7.58%
51 to 75% 0 0%
76 to 100% 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-17, 01:25 PM   #6076
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
That does seem to be the Republicans' ultimate goal - just let the sick ones die. I can't see any other reason for them to fight so hard to keep healthcare away from people who actually need it.
I read somewhere that the CBO said in response to the previous attempt that this would save money in the long run because people would die sooner. If that's true, someone kick this orange combover mother fucker right in his damn urethra.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 05-05-17, 01:43 PM   #6077
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is what I wrote to my Congressman:

Good afternoon,

I would like to know the detailed contents of this revised AHCA that just passed the lower house. Your statement (http://yoho.house.gov/media-center/p...g-revised-ahca) does not provide a detailed description and is more of a call of action from the Republican party than a rationalization of a revision with detailed information of its contents. You also mention it is 80% complete and the Senate is expected to follow up on the remainder of the revision. We have seen what happens when a piece of legislation is gutted down our throats (ACA) without a bipartisan consent and a CBO evaluation. I am concerned of the implications of a rushed piece of legislation without proper evaluation and I question your decision on voting in favor of said revised legislation.

Sincerely,
ďAs democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.Ē
― H.L. Mencken
Old 05-05-17, 01:52 PM   #6078
DVD Talk Legend

This is what I wrote to my Congressman on Twitter.

Quote:
And in another year, I'll be proud to donate a hundred dollars to your Democratic challenger, you teabagging turdbucket. HTH. HAND. FOAD.
And then he blocked me.

Blog | Twitter
Old 05-05-17, 01:58 PM   #6079
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post

And then he blocked me.
What does FOAD mean?

Old 05-05-17, 02:47 PM   #6080
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

f--- off and die?
Old 05-05-17, 02:55 PM   #6081
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
If you get sick, you were probably masturbating to anime girls and deserve what you get.
Now you tell me!
Old 05-05-17, 03:02 PM   #6082
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I read somewhere that the CBO said in response to the previous attempt that this would save money in the long run because people would die sooner. If that's true, someone kick this orange combover mother fucker right in his damn urethra.
It wasn't stated exactly like that, but when they modeled the cost of Obamacare, there was a cost factor due to the expectation that people would get better care, live longer and need more care as they got older. In that sense, then yes, it's cheaper to let people die earlier.
Old 05-05-17, 03:04 PM   #6083
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
f--- off and die?
Sounds right.

Old 05-05-17, 03:28 PM   #6084
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

And then he blocked me.
How much did George Soros pay you to write that? #fakepeople

Really though, we're not in an era of "Special Needs Politicians". When that term hits the mainstream, remember you heard it here first.
Old 05-05-17, 03:34 PM   #6085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
That does seem to be the Republicans' ultimate goal - just let the sick ones die..
On the upside, it's good to see them starting to embrace Charles Darwin.
Old 05-05-17, 05:37 PM   #6086
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Well, they shouldn't have gotten cancer in the first place. Losers.
Obviously they are not good people.. otherwise they would not have gotten cancer..
Old 05-06-17, 11:22 AM   #6087
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Movie quotes from Zodiac:

Quote:
Mike: Fuck off and die!

Darlene: Fuck off and die?

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 05-06-17, 04:50 PM   #6088
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 05-06-17, 04:56 PM   #6089
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
That is so out of touch. I have had symptoms that I've had to be quiet about , ignore, and/or handle by myself because I didn't have access to healthcare.
Old 05-06-17, 05:27 PM   #6090
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
One of the comments at your link:
Quote:
I heard that under Trumpcare, reading this web site means you instantly qualify for a mental evaluation .

No, the AHCA Doesn't Make Rape a Preexisting Condition

None of this is true. Like, not even a little bit. And the fact it's not just being shared by shady social-media activists and their unwitting dupes but by ostensibly-legitimate media outlets is another sad indictment of press standards these days.

Washington Post ran a Fact Checker column giving it Four Pinnochios. "The notion that AHCA classifies rape or sexual assault as a preexisting condition, or that survivors would be denied coverage, is false," wrote the Post's Michelle Ye Hee Lee. In addition, "almost all states (at least 45 to 48) have their own laws protecting survivors of domestic violence and sexual abuse."
Old 05-07-17, 10:52 AM   #6091
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An employee living in one state could end up with the reduced benefits of a different state.

The GOP healthcare bill could wreak havoc on employer insurance because of an obscure provision of Obamacare at BusinessInsider.com

Quote:
Last-minute changes to the proposed Republican overhaul of the US healthcare system may not be limited to the individual insurance market, according to a new report.

An analysis from The Wall Street Journal's Stephanie Armour and Michelle Hackman found that a provision in a recent amendment of the American Health Care Act could allow employers to gut some of Obamacare's biggest health-insurance protections for their employees.

The amendment would allow states to apply for waivers to rescind two major regulations of Obamacare, if the state can prove that healthcare costs would decrease as a result. That has led to concerns about its potential effects on the individual insurance market, but it could also change insurance for people that get coverage through their employers.
Quote:
Yet the AHCA could allow a firm to drop these protections for employees by choosing regulations from a state-granted waiver.

Here's an example:

A company could have operations in South Carolina and Vermont. If South Carolina is granted a waiver and drops the lifetime limit on maternity care for insurance plans, the company could use that baseline to put a lifetime cap on maternity care for employees in Vermont as well.

Roughly half of all Americans get their insurance through their workplace, so any weakening of those protections could be wide ranging.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 05-07-17, 11:14 AM   #6092
DVD Talk Legend

Wheeeeeee! This is fun. We'll see what happens!
Old 05-08-17, 08:54 AM   #6093
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
One of the comments at your link:

No, the AHCA Doesn't Make Rape a Preexisting Condition

None of this is true. Like, not even a little bit. And the fact it's not just being shared by shady social-media activists and their unwitting dupes but by ostensibly-legitimate media outlets is another sad indictment of press standards these days.

Washington Post ran a Fact Checker column giving it Four Pinnochios. "The notion that AHCA classifies rape or sexual assault as a preexisting condition, or that survivors would be denied coverage, is false," wrote the Post's Michelle Ye Hee Lee. In addition, "almost all states (at least 45 to 48) have their own laws protecting survivors of domestic violence and sexual abuse."
While I agree it doesn't help to throw around dramatic examples likely not to happen, the article does go on to say, yes in some states some insurance companies could do it. I agree that is would be highly unlikely. The backlash would be tremendous.

The general point being, this new health car law removes much of the federal regulation that covered such issues as pre-existing conditions and put it back in the hands of the states. Which for health insurance is a bad, bad idea. While it makes sense that someone in NY City would have to pay different taxes than someone in Tulsa Oklahoma, does it make sense that your health standards differ depending on where you live?

The ACA is expensive. But at least it covers everything and can cover everyone. I use to believe (and still do in some limited cases) that people should have choices. It might make sense for a 20 year healthy person to be able to buy a catastrophe only plan. But I think it makes MORE sense to not make people read, understand, shop for insurance. Only to pay for but it not cover what they think it does.

I've changed my tune on this. I think having the ACA or single payer (if we ever get there) has benefits that outweigh the negative. And makes life easier for everyone.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-08-17, 09:07 AM   #6094
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
While I agree it doesn't help to throw around dramatic examples likely not to happen, the article does go on to say, yes in some states some insurance companies could do it. I agree that is would be highly unlikely. The backlash would be tremendous.

The general point being, this new health car law removes much of the federal regulation that covered such issues as pre-existing conditions and put it back in the hands of the states. Which for health insurance is a bad, bad idea. While it makes sense that someone in NY City would have to pay different taxes than someone in Tulsa Oklahoma, does it make sense that your health standards differ depending on where you live?

The ACA is expensive. But at least it covers everything and can cover everyone. I use to believe (and still do in some limited cases) that people should have choices. It might make sense for a 20 year healthy person to be able to buy a catastrophe only plan. But I think it makes MORE sense to not make people read, understand, shop for insurance. Only to pay for but it not cover what they think it does.

I've changed my tune on this. I think having the ACA or single payer (if we ever get there) has benefits that outweigh the negative. And makes life easier for everyone.
Old 05-11-17, 02:43 PM   #6095
DVD Talk Hero

GOP Congressman gets verbal beatdown.

Constituent loses his temper at Rep. Tom MacArthur over health care

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video...-care-47338603
Old 05-11-17, 02:56 PM   #6096
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

Holy shit, that was fantastic
Old 05-11-17, 04:14 PM   #6097
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Holy shit, that was fantastic
I love that guy so much I wanna marry him, penis and all.
Old 05-11-17, 04:32 PM   #6098
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that was pretty epic. And he's 100% right. And it won't matter at all to MacArthur when he gets back to Washington.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 05-18-17, 07:45 PM   #6099
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, lost amongst everything else going on in DC:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...re-repeal-bill

Quote:
House Republicans barely managed to pass their Obamacare repeal bill earlier this month, and they now face the possibility of having to vote again on their controversial health measure.

House Speaker Paul Ryan hasn’t yet sent the bill to the Senate because there’s a chance that parts of it may need to be redone, depending on how the Congressional Budget Office estimates its effects. House leaders want to make sure the bill conforms with Senate rules for reconciliation, a mechanism that allows Senate Republicans to pass the bill with a simple majority.

Republicans had rushed to vote on the health bill so the Senate could get a quick start on it, even before the CBO had finished analyzing a series of last-minute changes. The CBO is expected to release an updated estimate next week.
Not sure how likely it is that it will need to be redone, or how much danger it would be in should that be the case, but the fact this is even a possibility makes that yuuuge celebration they had at the White House even more ridiculous than it already was.

Last edited by atxbomber; 05-18-17 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 03:42 AM   #6100
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

Great speech, ridiculous headline!

It's also ridiculous that people who don't know how insurance works, is supposed to fix health care insurance. What a country.