Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: What % of self-identified Republicans are aware of Obamacare's conservative roots?
0 to 25%
77.94%
26 to 50%
7.35%
51 to 75%
0%
76 to 100%
14.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Old 03-06-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 9

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Based on Sandra Fluke's own testimony, her current boyfriend has so little respect for her that he's not even willing to pay for their birth control.

How can Sandra Fluke call herself a feminist, when she is dating someone who does not respect her enough to pay for their birth control?

I think Sandra Fluke should break up with her cheapskate boyfriend, and start dating a real man who respects her enough to pay for their birth control.
Can you link to the part of her testimony where she says she has a boyfriend?

Also, where are you getting your information on her boyfriend's (sic) income/ability to pay for Ms. Fluke's contraception?
Old 03-06-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Also, where are you getting your information on her boyfriend's (sic) income/ability to pay for Ms. Fluke's contraception?
I don't think grundle mentioned the boyfriend's income or ability to pay.

But I'm not sure why a feminist would rely on her boyfriend to pay for the birth control, either. Especially not when the government can do it for her.
Old 03-06-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

And what does it even matter? Her individual circumstances don't really have a bearing on the issues being discussed.
Old 03-06-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
And what does it even matter? Her individual circumstances don't really have a bearing on the issues being discussed.
We're trying to figure out if she's a slut.
Old 03-06-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Fuck, she's just part of the dog and pony show. I can't believe anyone thinks that a Georgetown law student can't pay for birth control when you can most of it free, or from Planned Parenthood at a cost that is about what a copay for insurance would be. It's all just part of the distraction, and people eat it up.

I mentioned earlier that the government could go after the cost of education at Georgetown to make it more affordable (because education is a right), so that people could choose to buy birth control or anything else they want, but that isn't what this is about. It's about a health care take over, because an overhaul might actually save money. And Obama is as much in the pocket of the medical field as every other president has been to some industry.
Old 03-06-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
I don't think grundle mentioned the boyfriend's income or ability to pay.
He said the reason the boyfriend (again, we don't know if she has a boyfriend) won't pay for Ms. Fluke's contraception is because he doesn't respect her. That implies that the putative boyfriend has the means to pay for Ms. Fluke's contraception but chooses not to, and I want to know how grundle knows that he has those means.

And to address your other point, nobody is suggesting the government pay for anybody's contraception. Ms. Fluke simply wants to be able to buy group insurance that will cover her contraception.
Old 03-06-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He said the reason the boyfriend (again, we don't know if she has a boyfriend) won't pay for Ms. Fluke's contraception is because he doesn't respect her. That implies that the putative boyfriend has the means to pay for Ms. Fluke's contraception but chooses not to, and I want to know how grundle knows that he has those means.
I believe the burden of proof is on YOU to demonstrate that the potentially imaginary boyfriend does not have the means if you are going to defend his honor for choosing or being unable to pay for her birth control that a feminist would probably not insist upon to begin with, good sir! Also, can you prove that she is not, in fact, a slut?
Old 03-06-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

And to address your other point, nobody is suggesting the government pay for anybody's contraception. Ms. Fluke simply wants to be able to buy group insurance that will cover her contraception.
I was all prepared to be critical of your taste (or lack of it) in films. After seeing your DVD collection it pains me to say - you have a decent collection of classic movies.
Old 03-06-12, 08:56 PM
Political Exile

She said:

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politic...%20hearing.pdf

Without insurance coverage, contraception can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school. For a lot of students who, like me, are on public interest scholarships, that's practically an entire summer's salary.
I assumed from that that she had a boyfriend, and that he was too much of a cheapskate to pay for contraception.

Then later, this other person said:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ti...-wild-not-sex/

Ms Fluke insists that the average female student at her college has a right to $1,000 worth of contraception – because failure to insure them for that amount would discriminate against poorer women.

According to Amazon you can buy a “variety pack” of condoms at the cost of $20.49 for 48. One thousand dollars will therefore buy the average woman 2342 condoms per year. That’s enough for 6 bouts of sex per day. There must be something wrong with me, because that’s more than I’ve had in my entire lifetime.

Wow! That is some boyfriend that she has!
Old 03-06-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm speechless at how widely some members are missing the point. How partisan do you have to be to not only pile on with Rush Limbaugh but to equate having a comprehensive prescription drug plan with simply loving lots of sex?

I never thought I'd see these depths.
Old 03-06-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I never thought I'd see these depths.
Blame James Cameron.
Old 03-06-12, 09:21 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow! That is some boyfriend that she has!
Female contraception doesn't work like male contraception.
Old 03-06-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
Female contraception doesn't work like male contraception.
That's pretty sexist.
Old 03-06-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, to explain this to people who don't know how it works (including Rush): A woman can have sex one time in two months but still needs to take the pill every day. You can't not take the pill, have sex, and then start taking it. it is a prescription drug that needs to be taken daily to be effective and once you stop, it takes a while to be "safe" once you resume. It's easier to just stay on it like any other drug your doctor prescribes you. Which kind of makes sense then why people think it should be treated like any other prescribed drug. Crazy talk.
Old 03-06-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A woman can have sex one time in two months but still needs to take the pill every day.
Worst. Idea. Ever.
Old 03-06-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh?
Old 03-06-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, to explain this to people who don't know how it works (including Rush): A woman can have sex one time in two months but still needs to take the pill every day. You can't not take the pill, have sex, and then start taking it. it is a prescription drug that needs to be taken daily to be effective and once you stop, it takes a while to be "safe" once you resume. It's easier to just stay on it like any other drug your doctor prescribes you. Which kind of makes sense then why people think it should be treated like any other prescribed drug. Crazy talk.
That should definitely help clear it up for Rush. He tends to measure pill dosage in handfuls.
Old 03-06-12, 09:51 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe he was home schooled and didn't have sex ed.
Old 03-06-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She said:

Without insurance coverage, contraception can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school. For a lot of students who, like me, are on public interest scholarships, that's practically an entire summer's salary.
I assumed from that that she had a boyfriend
You're going to have to walk me through that step by step. All I get out of that quote is that Ms. Fluke earns $3,000 per summer. I see nothing about her relationship status (or, for that matter, the income level of any boyfriend she may have).
Old 03-06-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I was all prepared to be critical of your taste (or lack of it) in films. After seeing your DVD collection it pains me to say - you have a decent collection of classic movies.
Thanks!
Old 03-07-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, that's how the press has been covering it.
Old 03-07-12, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Yeah, that's how the press has been covering it.
Remember the other day when you were all "Hey, ignore what the press is saying about Limbaugh because if you really listen to what he said, it's completely different from what you think it is!" Good times.
Old 03-07-12, 12:41 AM
Political Exile

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ls_632955.html

Georgetown Students Go Broke to Buy Birth Control?

Target Sells Pills for $9 Per Month

There is no birth control crisis.

Feb 28, 2012

By JOHN MCCORMACK

Nancy Pelosi held a congressional hearing on Monday with a single witness, Georgetown student Sandra Fluke, to testify about the need for Obamacare to mandate that religious institutions provide free contraception and abortifacients under their health insurance plans.

“Forty percent of the female students at Georgetown Law reported to us that they struggled financially as a result of this policy,” Fluke testified regarding the Catholic university's policy of not covering birth control. “Without insurance coverage, contraception, as you know, can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school.”

But Fluke's testimony was very misleading. Birth control pills can be purchased for as low as $9 per month at a pharmacy near Georgetown's campus. According to an employee at the pharmacy in Washington, D.C.'s Target store, the pharmacy sells birth control pills--the generic versions of Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Ortho-Cyclen--for $9 per month. "That's the price without insurance," the Target employee said. Nine dollars is less than the price of two beers at a Georgetown bar.

It strains credulity to believe that a single Georgetown student can't afford $9 per month for birth control.
But this is the justification the mandate's supporters give for forcing religious institutions to purchase insurance that violates their religious and moral convictions.
Old 03-07-12, 12:42 AM
Political Exile

Old 03-07-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Remember the other day when you were all "Hey, ignore what the press is saying about Limbaugh because if you really listen to what he said, it's completely different from what you think it is!" Good times.
Aren't both statements the exact same? What am I missing? The press is not covering this (nor is the Democrat party speaking out on this) based on the idea that the poor Georgetown law student just wants to be able to purchase group health from a plan that includes contraception. They are both covering this as though the issue is allowing women to have birth control, and the Republicans are saying women shouldn't.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.