Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Corruption Is Increasing Faster In US Than Anywhere Except Cuba, Dominica And Burkina

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Corruption Is Increasing Faster In US Than Anywhere Except Cuba, Dominica And Burkina

Old 12-11-10, 07:48 PM
Political Exile

There are still three countries that are outdoing us in this area?

Obama has got to try harder!

http://www.businessinsider.com/trans...eased-2010-12#

Corruption Is Increasing Faster In America Than Anywhere Except Cuba, Dominica And Burkina Faso

Dec. 11, 2010

First the good news: America is the 22nd least corrupt country in the world, according to a new survey from Transparency.

Now the bad news: America's score on the corruption index fell from from 7.5 to 7.1 -- among the largest declines in the world.

Only three countries posted larger declines in 2010. Dominica dropped seven decimal points to 5.2. Cuba dropped seven decimal points to 3.7. Burkina Faso dropped six decimal points to 3.1.

The biggest decrease in corruption occurred in FIFA-favorite Qatar, which jumped seven decimal points to 7.7.
Old 12-11-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Corruption Is Increasing Faster In US Than Anywhere Except Cuba, Dominica And Bur

It might take me a while to wade through all of the in depth analysis the writer put in that article.
Old 12-12-10, 02:46 AM
Banned by request

Re: Corruption Is Increasing Faster In US Than Anywhere Except Cuba, Dominica And Bur

What metric is used to determine corruption?
Old 12-12-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk God

This thread is the most nonsensical thread of the year - hands down.

grundle is to be congratulated.
Old 12-12-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Canada at #6 doesn't pass the smell test. There's a plethora of governmental chicanery up here. And transparency is virtually nonexistent, especially under the current federal regime. If we're that high up on the list, I wouldn't want to know what's going on elsewhere.
Old 12-12-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That decline is embarrassing. Next year we should bribe these survey makers.
Old 12-12-10, 02:40 PM
Banned by request

Old 12-12-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Corruption Is Increasing Faster In America Than Anywhere Except Cuba, Dominica And Burkina Faso

...and Larry is getting laaaaarger!
Old 12-12-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if Obama's transfer of GM/Chrysler to the UAW counted.
Old 12-12-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So the Republicans have massive electoral success, and mere weeks later, the U.S. is found to be more corrupt. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
Old 12-12-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did Obama run over your dog, grundle? or is this a little bit more personal than that.
Old 12-12-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, lest anyone think this is at all meaningful, when the article says "survey," that's exactly what it means. All Transparency International is doing is aggregating public polls about perceived corruption. As they explain:

Perceptions are used because corruption – whether frequency or amount – is to a great extent a hidden activity that is difficult to measure. Over time, perceptions have proved to be a reliable estimate of corruption. Measuring scandals, investigations or prosecutions, while offering ‘non-perception’ data, reflect less on the prevalence of corruption in a country and more on other factors, such as freedom of the press or the efficiency of the judicial system. TI considers it of critical importance to measure both corruption and integrity, and to do so in the public and private sectors at global, national and local levels. The CPI is therefore one of many TI measurement tools that serve the fight against corruption.
[From PDF report available at http://www.transparency.org/policy_r...i/2010/results.]

In other words, this doesn't mean that America is more corrupt than it was a year ago, just that more people say we're corrupt than did a year ago.
Old 12-12-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad I don't live in the same sad little world in which you reside, Grundle.

Edit: Oops, I just realized this thread was in Politics, not Other. What I meant to say was that I'm not entirely sure that the blame for some imaginary corruption metric rests solely on the shoulders of the President.

Last edited by GoVegan; 12-12-10 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-12-10, 09:13 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
What metric is used to determine corruption?
Unfortunately, the website that runs the study is pretty vague about this, and doesn't even have individual reports for each country. The Index of Economic Freedom does have those things, so I was expecting it for this one too. Sorry.
Old 12-12-10, 09:13 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
This thread is the most nonsensical thread of the year - hands down.

grundle is to be congratulated.
Thank you!
Old 12-12-10, 09:15 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Did Obama run over your dog, grundle? or is this a little bit more personal than that.
He's the one who said he would bring "change" to the government.
Old 12-12-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
He's the one who said he would bring "change" to the government.
well, we're much worse off now than before, so that's a change, right?

And apparently, things were getting better under the Bush administration, so a downward trend in our country is certainly a change.

I don't know about you, but I find all this change really refreshing. Gone are cynical days of a bygone generation that brought prosperity to our great nation. Now is the time for ineffectual hopefulness!