Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

London's Burning *epic guitar riff*

Old 12-10-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

London's Burning *epic guitar riff*

I'm so bored with the USA right now, so I decided to tune in Capital Radio One to hear something about England, and boy is it a mess. All the young punks over there want good jobs where they can make executive decisions with a clinical precision, but the cheapskates in the government are raising tuition rates. Now the kids are afraid that without college there'll be no career opportunities and the only jobs they'll be offered will be to keep them at the dock, so they've taken to the streets.

From what I can see, it's a real white riot -- normally they go to school where they teach them how to be thick, but now they don't mind throwing a brick. The other night, rioters surrounded Prince Charles' car and tried to smash it. They were all around it, so the driver had to wonder, "Should I stay or should I go? If I stay there will be trouble, but if I go it will be double."

I understand there's a clampdown coming, though, and they're calling in officers from other divisions. Though I read something about Julie it the drug squad who doesn't want to heed the call up because she's afraid the diversion will lead to drug stabbing time on her normal beat. I think these riotes better know their rights and be ready for the sound of jail guitar doors, because once there are guns on the roof, it'll be a veritable English Civil War.
Old 12-10-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: London's Burning *epic guitar riff*

Sounds like they're trying to be worse than the French.
Old 12-10-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Ah the trouble of creating a nanny state but being unable to live up to what you've promised your subjects. Next thing you know, Obama won't pay for my healthcare or my mortgage.
Old 12-11-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I'm so bored with the USA right now, so I decided to tune in Capital Radio One to hear something about England, and boy is it a mess. All the young punks over there want good jobs where they can make executive decisions with a clinical precision, but the cheapskates in the government are raising tuition rates. Now the kids are afraid that without college there'll be no career opportunities and the only jobs they'll be offered will be to keep them at the dock, so they've taken to the streets.

From what I can see, it's a real white riot -- normally they go to school where they teach them how to be thick, but now they don't mind throwing a brick. The other night, rioters surrounded Prince Charles' car and tried to smash it. They were all around it, so the driver had to wonder, "Should I stay or should I go? If I stay there will be trouble, but if I go it will be double."

I understand there's a clampdown coming, though, and they're calling in officers from other divisions. Though I read something about Julie it the drug squad who doesn't want to heed the call up because she's afraid the diversion will lead to drug stabbing time on her normal beat. I think these riotes better know their rights and be ready for the sound of jail guitar doors, because once there are guns on the roof, it'll be a veritable English Civil War.
It sounds like a real clash of values over there. Some would suggest that the solution is for the government to spend, spend, spend. But on what? If you spend the money on social program, you'll leave a bunch of people asking "What do I get"? Maybe you prioritize guns before butter instead? Others would say that spending would only lead to anarchy in the UK. It's not like it's so obvious what the solution is, unfortunately. That's the problem with the modern world. I think eventually, a lot of people are going to feel the pain. The good news is, if you're a Londoner who's never been in a riot, you may soon get your chance.

Or maybe some young punk will come along with the answers.
Old 12-11-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait til' they really get fed up and form the Earl Grey party.

Last edited by eXcentris; 12-11-10 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-11-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Wait til' they really get fed up and form the Earl Gray party.
Hot!
Old 12-11-10, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

But what about that crazy Casbah jive? Sharif don't like it.
Old 12-11-10, 01:00 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

That's a BAD situation, a real hard problem to solve like E=Mc2. I guess they need to start with the bottom line... so from the London Bridge to Harrow Road and all around the globe for everyone to truly be free like an innocent child we all need to drink the Kool-Aid from the medicine show.

Before they rush to any conclusions they need to rewind and maybe ask themselves what about love? They need to do it before somebody gets hurt form the contact from the impending sudden impact! They all need to chill out, everybody needs a holiday maybe go to Singapore and lay in the green grass. They're either all going to be sent to the psycho wing or put under house arrest. Personally, if I had the option when the time comes I'd much rather be a slave to Sony than be a member of the tea party.

James Brown would have said we need to push those blues away because it's a jungle out there so we might as well all get along and just play music!
Old 12-11-10, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Sounds like they're trying to be worse than the French.
never going to happen.
Old 12-11-10, 02:09 AM
Banned by request

Mahatma Gandhi and Milhouse Nixon both went the same way, through the kitchen?
Old 12-11-10, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just discovered a good friend of mine was up on one of our buildings waving a banner calling for the university chancelor to resign. Fool. Don't think there's much support for the protesters even within the student body. As always it's a slightly more complex situation than is immediately apparent. Fees haven't been raised but the new government has announced plans to stop paying a proportion of the fees themselves. The entire burden will be on the students (through loans which will be paid back later when their paypacket reaches a certain threshold value) in the future. Frankly the number of people at university now was never going to be sustainable and has been part of an ongoing government con (from parties of both stripes) to manipulate parents into falsely believing their kids were getting a better deal. It had to end sometime and this financial mess created in the city is as good an excuse for sorting it as any.

Incidentally, "guns and butter" - lovin' it!
Old 12-11-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be too judgemental on those kids---my daddy was a bankrobber, and he never hurt nobody. A lot of things contributed to it. I think he tried to join a ping pong club, but the sign on the door said "all full up", and that was the last straw. He needed a pressure drop.

Anyways, I seriously doubt these kids are going to be bringing Sten guns to Knightsbridge. I think they're just looking for some cool confusion and groovy times. I think they've lived in their sheltered bubble a little too long, and don't quite appreciate the safe European home they've got. Hey, maybe a little dose of Sharia would get those kids back into line---by order of the Prophet, they could just ban that boogie sound.

btw---nice job hal9000 for taking us to part 2. Kind of reminds me of that time I was in Havana at 3 am. That was a real trash city. And JasonF--I was going to go that route, but I started writing and got myself into a damned jam!
Old 12-11-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So the government is telling them there ain't no need for ya, go straight to hell boys?
Old 12-11-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have they called upon the zombies of death yet?
Old 12-11-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could someone explain the system a bit and what's causing the uproar. I know it's tuition hikes but all I've read is that the gov use to pay in full until about '98, then they started charging and the issue now is that they are raising the cost to students from about $5k to $15K. That's about all I know.

Is there a public/private university system in the UK, like the states, and these price hikes only apply to public? Or is it some kind of voucher system? I heard it was means tested in some way and the 3x rate hike is only for the top end, yet the protesters are saying the changes are going to disenfranchise the poor. So how do the changes affect those at the bottom end?
Old 12-11-10, 07:45 PM
Political Exile

Whoo hoo!

That was awesome!
Old 12-12-10, 08:51 PM

The public gets what the public wants but I want nothing this society's got. I'm going underground.
Old 12-12-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
The public gets what the public wants but I want nothing this society's got. I'm going underground.
What obscure band are you quoting there!?
Old 12-13-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Hot!
Bow Chika Bow Wow!

That's the only music I hear nowadays.
Old 12-13-10, 09:25 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Now I don't want you to get me wrong, ideals are fine when you are young and I must admit we had a laugh, but that's all it was and ever will be, 'cause the Burning Sky keeps burning bright. And as long as it does (and it always will), there's no time for dreams when commerce calls. And the taxman's shouting 'cause he wants his dough and the wheels of finance won't begin to slow.
Old 12-13-10, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Now I don't want you to get me wrong, ideals are fine when you are young and I must admit we had a laugh, but that's all it was and ever will be, 'cause the Burning Sky keeps burning bright. And as long as it does (and it always will), there's no time for dreams when commerce calls. And the taxman's shouting 'cause he wants his dough and the wheels of finance won't begin to slow.
Power is measured by the pound or the fist, but we'll always be thick as thieves.
Old 12-13-10, 09:52 AM
Banned by request

But we're not as thick as we used to be.
Old 12-13-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
A-well-a...
Old 12-13-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bring you a tale from the pastel fields
Where we ran when we were young
This is a tale from the water meadows
Trying to spread some hope into your heart
It's mixed with happiness - it's mixed with tears
Both life a death are carried in this stream
That open space you could run for miles