Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Old 12-03-10, 05:13 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,203
Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Back in the 80s, there was quite some fear about Russians invading America. Movies like Red Dawn and Invasion USA seem pretty ridiculous by today's standards (ok Invasion was pretty stupid back in the day too), but now I wonder if China is our new threat.


The big sticking point is China's stubborn refusal to defuse the North Korea situation. They won't come out and condemn this piss ant country, and now these NK wackos make have nukes that can threat the entire world. South Korea has threatened to bomb North Korea if they pull another sneak attack. This will ignite a war that has global consequences.

So what happens if war breaks out? It could be the perfect excuse China needs to declare war on the United States. Hell, Russia might even ally up with China and wipe us off the map. The reports of a Chinese missle off the coast of CA doesn't help matters either.

What do you guys think? What is China's endgame?
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:15 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?
No.
Groucho is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:18 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,931
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Short answer, no. But it would be a nice change to see mahjong instead of friggin poker on sports networks.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:20 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

I don't see what benefit it would be to them.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:22 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,777
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Deja-vu?
Maxflier is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:23 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Jam Master Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,816
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?




The film's release was obviously pulled to cover up that fact.
Jam Master Jay is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:29 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

who knows for sure but we need to be vijilent
so i threw a brick in the window of the local sushi place
dork is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:34 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,610
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by dork View Post
who knows for sure but we need to be vijilent
so i threw a brick in the window of the local sushi place
So now you've pissed off the Japanese.
Eddie W is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:36 PM
  #9  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,740
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Why bother when they can just own it?
X is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:39 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
So now you've pissed off the Japanese.
Actually the Chinese did invent sushi.
Shazam is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:40 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
What is China's endgame?
Not that.
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:40 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,579
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Michael Scott??
Nausicaa is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:41 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,941
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

What makes you think they already haven't?
Navinabob is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:49 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
What makes you think they already haven't?
你是对的
dork is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 05:55 PM
  #15  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,417
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
What makes you think they already haven't?
There are still restaurants out there without the words 'Dragon', 'Panda', 'Palace', 'Garden' or 'China' in the name.
DRG is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 06:12 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,865
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

I don't think Russia would side with China. Russia has too many allegiences with Europe to go teaming up with China.

What's this about a missle off California?
Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 06:24 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,920
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

It would be impossible to get enough troops over here without us knowing it pretty far in advance. Unless of course they went through the Mammoth caves which apparently have an opening somewhere in China according to a guest I heard on Art Bell about 10 years ago!
MBoyd is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 06:35 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Posts: 602
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Back in the 80s, there was quite some fear about Russians invading America. Movies like Red Dawn and Invasion USA seem pretty ridiculous by today's standards (ok Invasion was pretty stupid back in the day too), but now I wonder if China is our new threat.


The big sticking point is China's stubborn refusal to defuse the North Korea situation. They won't come out and condemn this piss ant country, and now these NK wackos make have nukes that can threat the entire world. South Korea has threatened to bomb North Korea if they pull another sneak attack. This will ignite a war that has global consequences.

So what happens if war breaks out? It could be the perfect excuse China needs to declare war on the United States. Hell, Russia might even ally up with China and wipe us off the map. The reports of a Chinese missle off the coast of CA doesn't help matters either.

What do you guys think? What is China's endgame?
i am willing to bet you are the type of person that loves the TSA scanners


i am about to eat my PF chang's chicken, does that make me a collaborator
Philly30 is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 06:45 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,698
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Actually the Chinese did invent sushi.
Uh... not the sushi we know and love today...

But don't go throwing bricks into Panda Express either, since the Chinese didn't invent beef broccoli either...
fujishig is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 07:11 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
There are still restaurants out there without the words 'Dragon', 'Panda', 'Palace', 'Garden' or 'China' in the name.
Panda Burger King
NORML54601 is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 07:17 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

We push them back in Alaska when they try.

It's a damn shame the Anchorage Memorial will be left to the 'Lurks though.
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 07:49 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,865
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
It would be impossible to get enough troops over here without us knowing it pretty far in advance. Unless of course they went through the Mammoth caves which apparently have an opening somewhere in China according to a guest I heard on Art Bell about 10 years ago!
They amass themselves in Cuba and utilize the Cuban military as well. Coordinated stategic airstrikes, small tactical nukes on key cities, and infantry deployment to key inland cities. The scenario in Red Dawn wasn't so far fetched.

Today they would combine that with cyber warefare, possibly knocking out or limiting the electrical grid in parts of the country. The ensuing chaos would clear the way for large scale landings on the west coast and gulf coast.

I plugged these variables into the W.O.P.P.E.R. and he said, "Game over man."
Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 08:05 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Uh... not the sushi we know and love today...

But don't go throwing bricks into Panda Express either, since the Chinese didn't invent beef broccoli either...
Very well, white people invented what you know as sushi, since they invented the freezer.
Shazam is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 08:07 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The scenario in Red Dawn wasn't so far fetched.
The USSR went through Canada unnoticed? Well okay, I guess we were too drunk on Molson's and poutine.
Shazam is offline  
Old 12-03-10, 08:13 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,865
Re: Could China Be Preparing an invasion of the US?

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
The USSR went through Canada unnoticed? Well okay, I guess we were too drunk on Molson's and poutine.
I don't recal that being any part of it. It's been a while since I've seen. I think I'll go watch it tonight.
Mabuse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.