Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-10, 09:38 AM   #1
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 28,673
The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Media bias...real, imagined or otherwise. Rock on.

Previous thread here: Media bias isn't real, argues GW political scientist
__________________
"Redistricting has made a tiny slice of ideological activists the power brokers in who gets sent to Congress."

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 09:56 AM   #2
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 31,828
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

This is actually the third media bias thread.
__________________
"Fifth Element may be as dumb and artless as Johnny Mnemonic, but since a frenchman made it it must be ART!" -Pants
"...I think it's a low blow to draw attention to wendersfan's drunken state. " - dork
"Just because their victims are still alive doesn't mean they didn't commit murder." - grundle
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 10:28 AM   #3
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 31,522
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

DVDTalk is biased.
__________________
"...Bando...you are perfect and awesome." - 4KRG
"Bando 4 Prez" - DVD Polizei
"[Bando is] nowhere near as big a weasel as Ted Cruz" - dork
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 10:33 AM   #4
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 28,673
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
This is actually the third media bias thread.
Well someone should have properly labeled their non bias thread that was just closed.

Lord knows we need to keep track of these things because this topic is never going way.
__________________
"Redistricting has made a tiny slice of ideological activists the power brokers in who gets sent to Congress."

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 10:34 AM   #5
Admin-Self Banned
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 28,673
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
DVDTalk is biased.
Prove it!
__________________
"Redistricting has made a tiny slice of ideological activists the power brokers in who gets sent to Congress."

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 10:52 AM   #6
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 31,828
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

__________________
"Fifth Element may be as dumb and artless as Johnny Mnemonic, but since a frenchman made it it must be ART!" -Pants
"...I think it's a low blow to draw attention to wendersfan's drunken state. " - dork
"Just because their victims are still alive doesn't mean they didn't commit murder." - grundle
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 10:56 AM   #7
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,687
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 11:23 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,053
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Ted Koppel inspired me to put down a few words that I've been thinking about a lot lately:

About a year ago I listened to an NPR report about one of Denver's newspapers going out of business. It was closing and that left Denver with only one daily newspaper. While eulogizing this dinosaur (as NPR is wont to do since they themselves are dinosaurs and part of the chorus mourning the end of "traditional news" or as Ted Koppel says "objective news") they pointed out that this Denver paper was founded by a railroad tycoon and the paper had been originally published in 1890 in order to advertise fake railroad schedules in order to give investors and homesteaders the impression that there was a nearby railroad and it stopped in Denver often, when in fact there was only a spur line that was serviced once a week. The "news" was just a front to legitimize lies in order to "sell" the town.

I thought about that and I realized that the news in this country has always been a sham. When it wasn't doing shit like described above it was disseminating political rhetoric, Hearst style yellow journalism, or propaganda of any and all types. When Koppel or NPR (or worst of all Cronkite) eulogize the news business you have to realize that they are eulogizing a brief moment of slight objectivity that lasted from the end of WWII until aprox 1965. 20 years. That's it. Born out of WWII; dead in Vietnam. The youth movement, the intellectual class, the ivy league schools, and the journalism departments of every university dreamed a dream that the news would be "facts" and "objective" and "pure" and they dreamed it so hard they convinced themselves that that is what the news will always be and that was what the news had always been. They collectivly forgot that the news business started as a whore and she must therefore die a whore. For a brief moment the baby boomers made something that they thought was pure news. All they created was a very delicate orchid that thrived when there were 3 networks and 5 national papers and everyone followed suit because they were instructed to in journalism school. The world has changed. But that isn't why the news business is dying. The news is dying because it's always been a rotten lying business.

Koppel is right, the Olberman’s and O’Rielly’s are bad for this country, but to protest that they have hurt journalism is a shallow argument. Journalism for 99.9% of its life has been lies, puffery, hullaballoo, and bamboozle bullshit. Olberman and Beck aren’t killing journalism, they’re steering it back to where it was in 1939, back to being a highly profitable disseminator of flim-flam and a bully pulpit for an influential few.

Last edited by Mabuse; 03-22-11 at 12:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 02:05 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 25,192
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

I graduated with a journalism degree, and worked in television news for a time before moving on to other things.

In that time I worked with some of the most passionate people I've ever met, who were committed to providing the most unbiased news possible that was relevant to our viewers. I continue to think that news serves a vital purpose in our country, and the move to blogs and commentary over actual journalism has allowed people to only acknowledge their own biases and ignore everything else.

I think it's a sad day when people who really care about giving people information they need are supplanted by a dude with a blog and a chip on his shoulder. I'm not saying the news business is and was perfect, but it was FAR better than the alternative we currently face.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 02:37 PM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
arminius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here I Is!
Posts: 6,968
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Hey, no news is good news.
__________________
Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. I Kant
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 01:17 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,142
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/not-...contributions/
Two weeks after MSNBC briefly suspended Keith Olbermann over undisclosed campaign donations, the news cable channel is doing the same with Morning Joe co-host Joe Scarborough. Politico reports that Scarborough will be sidelined for two days without pay after he acknowledged giving eight previously unknown $500 contributions to friends and family members running for state and local offices while working at MSNBC. That is a violation of NBC’s policy of banning political contributions by employees without first obtaining a permission from the network president. That policy came under scrutiny following the Olbermann suspension. “I recognize that I have a responsibility to honor the guidelines and conditions of my employment, and I regret that I failed to do so in this matter,” Scarborough, a former Republican congressman, said in a statement. “I apologize to MSNBC and to anyone who has been negatively affected by my actions.”
__________________
Follow me: http://twitter.com/TheChewDefense
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 01:23 PM   #12
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Senator Jay Rockefeller: “There’s a little bug inside of me which wants to get the FCC to say to Fox and to MSNBC, ‘Out. Off. End. Goodbye.’ It would be a big favor to political discourse; to our ability to do our work here in Congress; and to the American people, to be able to talk with each other and have some faith in their government and, more importantly, in their future.”

Would you say that the senator is somewhat out of touch?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 01:39 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Of course, Senator Rockefeller is out of touch, but what do you expect? He's a regular Vanderbilt!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 01:47 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,396
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Senator Jay Rockefeller: “There’s a little bug inside of me which wants to get the FCC to say to Fox and to MSNBC, ‘Out. Off. End. Goodbye.’ It would be a big favor to political discourse; to our ability to do our work here in Congress; and to the American people, to be able to talk with each other and have some faith in their government and, more importantly, in their future.”

Would you say that the senator is somewhat out of touch?
No, just an idiot. This is what happens when one smart man gets so rich that the next ten generations of his family can coast along through no merits of thir own. See also: Kennedys, The; Hiltons, The.
__________________
"If you read my last number of tweets, only one opinion can be formed - that our President, and therefore "leader," is grossly incompetent!"
-Donald Trump

Blog | Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 03:00 PM   #15
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 31,828
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

I wouldn't exactly say that Senator Rockefeller has 'coasted' through his life. Now, he obviously was born into a huge fortune, but that doesn't mean he hasn't worked hard to accomplish things.
__________________
"Fifth Element may be as dumb and artless as Johnny Mnemonic, but since a frenchman made it it must be ART!" -Pants
"...I think it's a low blow to draw attention to wendersfan's drunken state. " - dork
"Just because their victims are still alive doesn't mean they didn't commit murder." - grundle
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 03:11 PM   #16
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

He worked for the Peace Corps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 03:18 PM   #17
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

I don't believe the Arkansas Rockefellers were as rich.

They also were Republicans.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 07:25 AM   #18
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Joe Scarborough is slapped with a 2-day suspension by MSNBC for undisclosed political contributions.

One of his contributions was to his brother.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 08:22 AM   #19
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 29,732
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Ted Koppel inspired me to put down a few words that I've been thinking about a lot lately:

About a year ago I listened to an NPR report about one of Denver's newspapers going out of business. It was closing and that left Denver with only one daily newspaper. While eulogizing this dinosaur (as NPR is wont to do since they themselves are dinosaurs and part of the chorus mourning the end of "tradition news" or as Ted Koppel says "objective news") they pointed out that this Denver paper was founded by a railroad tycoon and the paper had been originally published in 1890 in order to advertise fake railroad schedules in order to give investors and homesteaders the impression that there was a nearby railroad and it stopped in Denver often, when in fact there was only a spur line that was serviced once a week. The "news" was just a front to legitimize lies in order to "sell" the town.

I thought about that and I realized that the news in this country has always been a sham. When it wasn't doing shit like described above it was disseminating political rhetoric, Hearst style yellow journalism, or propaganda of any and all types. When Koppel or NPR (or worst of all Cronkite) eulogize the news business you have to realize that they are eulogizing a brief moment of slight objectivity that lasted from the end of WWII until aprox 1965. 20 years. That's it. Born out of WWII; dead in Vietnam. The youth movement, the intellectual class, the ivy league schools, and the journalism departments of every university dreamed a dream that the news would be "facts" and "objective" and "pure" and they dreamed it so hard they convinced themselves that that is what the news will always be and that was what the news had always been. They collectivly forgot that the news business started as a whore and she must die a whore. For a brief moment the baby boomers made something that they thought was pure news. All they created was a very delicate orchid that thrived when there were 3 networks and 5 national papers and everyone followed suit because they were instructed to in journalism school. The world has change, but that isn't why the news business is dying. The news is dying because it's always been a rotten lying business.

Koppel is right, the Olberman’s and O’Rielly’s are bad for this country, but to protest that they have hurt journalism is a shallow argument. Journalism for 99.9% of its life has been lies, puffery, hullaballoo, and bamboozle bullshit. Olberman and Beck aren’t killing journalism, they’re steering it back to where it was in 1939, back to being a highly profitable disseminator of flim-flam and a bully pulpit for an influential few.
I would agree with this but I'm biased against anything Mabuse says.
__________________
-
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 08:29 AM   #20
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

I think Ted Koppel is bad for this country. He's totally out of touch. It's time for him to leave the stage, and be heard no more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 08:38 AM   #21
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 38,006
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
War of Words: Republicans Target NPR Funding Amid 'Nazi' Claims
GOP Effort to Yank Public Radio Funding Loses But Conservatives Aren't Letting Go

By HUMA KHAN
WASHINGTON Nov. 19, 2010

House Republicans' attempt to cut federal funding for National Public Radio fell flat on Thursday, but the war of words against the publicly-funded radio network continues to fester.

On Thursday, Democrats defeated a proposal by House GOP members to terminate NPR's federal funding, a move prompted in part by the recent firing of Juan Williams for comments he made about Muslims.

"While the network has the right to present whatever point of view its executives wish, taxpayers should not be forced to subsidize it," Republican Study Committee chairman Tom Price of Georgia said in a statement. "Without taxpayer funding, NPR will simply compete for listeners on a level playing field, just like any other media organization."

Under the Republican proposal, NPR would not be allowed to apply for grants issued by federally funded agencies like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) and National Endowment for the Arts, which, in the last fiscal year totaled $2.5 million or 1.5 percent of the network's operating budget. Moreover, local public radio stations would not be able to use money they receive from CPB to buy programming from NPR. That funding constitutes, on average, about 10 percent of a station's budget.

Conservative ire toward NPR isn't a new phenomenon. In fact, Republican lawmakers for decades have attempted to yank public funding away from both NPR and Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), citing liberal bias.

When Newt Gingrich became speaker of the House in 1994, one of the first tasks he immediately took up -- albeit unsuccessfully -- was eliminating federal funding for CPB, and calling for the privatization of public broadcasting.

Kenneth Tomlinson, who served as CPB chairman for two years until he resigned in 2005 because of an internal investigation, vigorously pushed for a more conservative point of view on public stations.

"They pick on it and by 'they' I mean primarily the GOP because it's perceived to be a leftist voice or a liberal voice and it does receive government money," said Christopher Sterling, a professor of media and public affairs and public policy at George Washington University. "There's widespread misunderstanding about how much money that supports PBS or NPR is tax money and the answer is actually a small and declining percentage, especially federal money. They get a fair bit of state money."

But the recent war of words has escalated to a level unseen in recent history.

Fox News' chairman Roger Ailes went as far as to liken NPR executives to Nazis.

"They are, of course, Nazis. They have a kind of Nazi attitude. They are the left wing of Nazism," the conservative media heavyweight said in an interview with The Daily Beast. "These guys don't want any other point of view. They don't even feel guilty using tax dollars to spout their propaganda."


Ailes later apologized to the Anti-Defamation League for the use of the word, but issued no apology to NPR and instead said that "nasty, inflexible bigot" would have been a more choice option for the radio network.

"We are disappointed that Mr. Ailes directed his apology only to the ADL, and amazed that his statement substituted a new insult to replace his original scurrilous remark," read a statement from NPR. "This ongoing name-calling is offensive to NPR, its member stations and the 27 million listeners who rely on us."

At a time when talk radio is on the rise and pundits on both sides of the political aisle are taking over television, the kind of rhetoric being spewed by Ailes doesn't come as a surprise, experts say.

"All of this is part of the larger polarity in news media and in American political life," said Sterling. "The middle is disappearing. This is an example of that."

Some commentators, however, say the right is waging an unfair fight and that if the tables were turned, similar rhetoric from the left would be lambasted by conservatives.

"What would have happened had an NPR host referred to Fox News as the 'Nazi network'?" questioned political columnist David Corn in Politics Daily. "Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity would have howled. Conservatives from coast to coast would have called for that person to be tossed off the air -- before being drawn and quartered. House GOPers would have announced hearings and try again to defund NPR. And Sarah Palin would have tweeted."

NPR became the subject of Republican backlash when it fired news analyst Juan Williams in October, after the conservative commentator said he gets "worried" and "nervous" seeing "people who are in Muslim garb" on airplanes.

NPR chief executive Vivian Schiller explained that Williams crossed the line several times in the last couple of years and that "this isn't a case of one strike and you're out." But she also admitted that the firing could've been handled in a much better fashion.

"The way they handled the thing -- it hurts. It brings out the crazies," Sterling said. "It brings out the hardliners on both sides really but certainly the hardliners who think tax money has no business supporting this biased business."

Only about two percent of NPR's funding comes from federally funded organizations. Forty percent of the revenue is generated through station programming fees while 26 percent comes from sponsorships.

NPR stations, however, rely more on federal and state grants. While the bulk -- 32 percent -- of funding comes from individuals and 21 percent from businesses, CPB funding makes up 10 percent of funding and federal, state and local government funding constitutes about 6 percent of a station's revenue source.

NPR on Thursday assailed Republican lawmakers attempts to cut funding, citing it as "an unwarranted attempt to interject federal authority into local station program decision-making."

With Republicans taking over the majority in the next House of Representatives, the debate is likely to continue brewing. But even if the GOP proposal passes under a Republican-controlled House, it's unlikely to pass in the Democratic-controlled Senate.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/repub...2191768&page=2
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 08:42 AM   #22
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 38,006
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

By the way, on Thursday, Jon Stewart did a takedown of Glenn Beck's takedown of George Soros that was great.
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
George Soros Plans to Overthrow America
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorRally to Restore Sanity





The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
The Manchurian Lunatic
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorRally to Restore Sanity
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 08:43 AM   #23
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

I bet you are a big George Soros fan!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 08:58 AM   #24
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 38,006
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I bet you are a big George Soros fan!
You lose.

I've got nothing against the guy, and I generally agree with his political opinions. But I'm neither a fan nor a detractor. I do find it fascinating how he gets people's blood boiling by merely existing.
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 09:41 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 29,732
Re: The Official Media bias thread ptIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You lose.

I've got nothing against the guy, and I generally agree with his political opinions. But I'm neither a fan nor a detractor. I do find it fascinating how he gets people's blood boiling by merely existing.
Of course there are no counterexamples on the right such as the Koch brothers.
__________________
-
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We don’t know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0