Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

A selection of ballots being challenged by Joe Miller in the Alaska Senate Race

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-12-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Presented for your amusement:

"USA Murkowski"

"Lisa Murkoski ... I mean Murkowski"

"Liga Mugowgki"

"Murkowski, Lisa"

"Lisa Muvkowski"
Old 11-12-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: A selection of ballots being challenged by Joe Miller in the Alaska Senate Race

I'm more interested in the Libertarian. I've never seen that spelling of Fredrick, and then what's with the David in " ". Is that a middle name or did he at some point just decide that he'd rather be called "David."
Old 11-12-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: A selection of ballots being challenged by Joe Miller in the Alaska Senate Race

When does our amusement supposed to come?
Old 11-12-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
When does our amusement supposed to come?
Do you want to try asking that again in the form of an English-language sentence?
Old 11-12-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Politicians are shameless. I found it amusing.
Old 11-12-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Of course you found it amusing.

You're obviously easily amused.

I'd hate to see your response to something that is funny.
Old 11-12-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Do you want to try asking that again in the form of an English-language sentence?
Pretty sure you know exactly what he meant. You can do better than Joe Miller and not challenge posts that are close enough.
Old 11-12-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

What is Joe Miller trying to argue? That those votes should count for him because they spelled her name funny?
Old 11-12-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Presented for your amusement:
Yeah, you're no Groucho. Hell, you're no wendersfan, even.
Old 11-12-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
What is Joe Miller trying to argue? That those votes should count for him because they spelled her name funny?
That they should not count. She is currently winning by 13%, and his campaign is challenging about 8%. Even with his attempts to subvert the will of the people and allege voter intimidation and conspiracy she will win.

Just hope Joe Miller doesn't plan on running for anything in Alaska ever again.
Old 11-12-10, 01:38 PM

Well, we can all agree that Miller is being a butthead here, but as we all know it's not uncommon for a losing candidate in a disputed election to pull out all the stops.

If Murkowski wins (and I'm sure she will), will this be the highest office ever won by a write-in candidate?
Old 11-12-10, 01:41 PM
X
Administrator

Maybe they should count the votes as their law specifies?

Originally Posted by Alaska Stat. § 15.15.360. : Alaska Statutes - Section 15.15.360.: Rules for counting ballots.
(9) Write-in votes are not invalidated by writing in the name of a candidate whose name is printed on the ballot unless the election board determines, on the basis of other evidence, that the ballot was so marked for the purpose of identifying the ballot.

(10) In order to vote for a write-in candidate, the voter must write in the candidate's name in the space provided and fill in the oval opposite the candidate's name in accordance with (1) of this subsection.

(11) A vote for a write-in candidate, other than a write-in vote for governor and lieutenant governor, shall be counted if the oval is filled in for that candidate and if the name, as it appears on the write-in declaration of candidacy, of the candidate or the last name of the candidate is written in the space provided.

(12) If the write-in vote is for governor and lieutenant governor, the vote shall be counted if the oval is filled in and the names, as they appear on the write-in declaration of candidacy, of the candidates for governor and lieutenant governor or the last names of the candidates for governor and lieutenant governor, or the name, as it appears on the write-in declaration of candidacy, of the candidate for governor or the last name of the candidate for governor is written in the space provided.

(b) The rules set out in this section are mandatory and there are no exceptions to them. A ballot may not be counted unless marked in compliance with these rules.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/akstatut....15./15.15.360.
Old 11-12-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If Murkowski wins (and I'm sure she will), will this be the highest office ever won by a write-in candidate?
Yes, although others have done it before: Strom Thurmond in South Carolina and Senator V. A. Ginaface of Iowa.
Old 11-12-10, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Yeah, you're no Groucho. Hell, you're no wendersfan, even.
Damn...

First they cancel Rubicon, and now this.

Old 11-12-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's funny that people who care enough about a candidate to vote and write in their name on a ballot can't even spell the name right. But these photos seem pretty obvious to me. None of them really appear to be misspellings, they just wrote in oddly shaped letters. My hand writing is pretty odd, and I could see people mistaking my 't's for 'r's, 'e's for 'c's, etc.

The first picture is obviously 'Lisa' with the 'L' and 'i' written too close together. In the last photo, the 'v' is clearly and 'r'.
Old 11-12-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

(11) A vote for a write-in candidate, other than a write-in vote for governor and lieutenant governor, shall be counted if the oval is filled in for that candidate and if the name, as it appears on the write-in declaration of candidacy, of the candidate or the last name of the candidate is written in the space provided.
Every single one of those examples appears correct to me, accommodating for penmanship. Heck, I don't think my neatest "Lisa Murkowski" would turn out better than the worst of that lot.
Old 11-12-10, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Damn...

First they cancel Rubicon, and now this.

Wait, they cancelled Rubicon? Should I bother to finish watching it?
Old 11-12-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Just what I was going to post.
Old 11-12-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X View Post
Maybe they should count the votes as their law specifies?
I agree, Miller is being an ass for challenging these particular ballots.
Old 11-12-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

f
Joe Miller is a buf^oon.
Old 11-12-10, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
I certainly think so. It's my favorite new show since The Wire.
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Just what I was going to post.
One of the things I liked best about it was how NYC was almost a character in itself.
Old 11-12-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

USA Murkowski, Private Eye
Old 11-12-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
One of the things I liked best about it was how NYC was almost a character in itself.
I only watched the first 2 or 3 episodes, so that must have come later.
Old 11-12-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would it be somehow illegal to write on your ballot something like pokerstars.net or whatever? It seems like in Minnesota there will be a recount every election now, so maybe I can profit on the next one.
Old 11-12-10, 05:18 PM
Banned by request

I wrote in Daffy Duck for the CA recall election, and I've yet to have any cops knocking on my door.*

*Because I move every three days to avoid detection.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.