Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Old 11-10-10, 02:43 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
When you say you are going to propose a balanced budget in 2011, I believe you should say how... in 2011.

Don't be slaves to the instant gratification media. Obama has had almost 2 years to change, people are expecting Rand Paul to do it before he even takes office?
If you are proposing a 25% across the board cut, should you not have some idea of what you plan on proposing? Don't be a slave to hollow rhetoric. The truth is that anything, even if a radical idea, would be impossible to do in one year. Rand Paul is selling you a bill of goods.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 02:56 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,567
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

In 2011, I'm going to propose a plan to lose 50 pounds, but it won't involve cutting the number of calories I eat or increasing the amount I exercise. If you challenge me on this now, it just means you're a slave to instant gratification!
JasonF is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:00 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I believe there was a government agency involved that has stated what it will cost. Did you want the President to contract a private accounting firm? BTW, are you willing to forgo your government healthcare because of the uncertainty of it's cost? Didn't think so.
You do remember the assumptions, etc. that they were forced to use and the fact that they came out and said that based on all of that, there wasn't a real accurate way to produce the numbers, don't you? Probably not. That was months ago.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:03 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Why all the hate for Rand Paul as opposed to all the other "tea party candidates"?

Let the guy at least get sworn in before you yell at him for not balancing the budget.
Venusian is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:08 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
In 2011, I'm going to propose a plan to lose 50 pounds, but it won't involve cutting the number of calories I eat or increasing the amount I exercise. If you challenge me on this now, it just means you're a slave to instant gratification!
Then I look forward to seeing your plan. There are ways to make it happen.

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The truth is that anything, even if a radical idea, would be impossible to do in one year.
Then I guess when he fails to come up with a plan, you can say I told you so. But if he comes up with a plan, I expect you to apologize, even when the plan is radical.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:24 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,527
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

I think Rand Paul is an interesting figure whom I will start following. I think he's an intelligent person (<--please note) and I wonder how much he really aligns with the Tea Party members vs. how much he's simply using them for his political ambitions. I did find his comments suggesting that private corporations be allowed to segregate to be alarming. It remains to be seen if that was a temporary brain fart or if he intends to actually follow through and push for legislation allowing for segregation by private companies. He got elected, so there's not much we can do but wait and see. And if his Tea Party members continue to support him while he's in office, I think he will be a good litmus test for how Tea Party members will function in government. I suspect he is more likely to transform into your average Republican politician.

I think it will also be interesting to see how much he and his father are alike. I actually like Ron Paul - at the very least he has some thought provoking ideas. He thinks outside the box and is willing to go against the grain. But I remain suspicious b/c of his policy of maintaining "strict adherence to the Constitution" and his tendency to make *radical* decisions. Even if some of his ideas make some sense, he ought to know it's not possible or even wise to implement as suddenly as he likes to propose. And strict adherance to the Constitution sounds all fine, good, and patriotic, but it's not a black and white piece of writing and many people can interpret its words so that they are adhering to the words rather than adhering to the spirit of it which is much more difficult to define. The obvious example being Rand Paul's little gaffe that I mentioned above.

Last edited by hahn; 11-10-10 at 03:31 PM.
hahn is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:33 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I believe there was a government agency involved that has stated what it will cost. Did you want the President to contract a private accounting firm? BTW, are you willing to forgo your government healthcare because of the uncertainty of it's cost? Didn't think so.
I know what my 'government healthcare' costs me.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:34 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
More to the point, the American people are gonna have to come to terms with that. But Senator-elect Paul promised he was going to get rid of the deficit by cutting the pork. Do you care that he lied to you, and that you fell for it?
You're going to have to learn to cope with the fact that Dems lost big time in the midterms.

Obviously you're hesitant to now, but in time I think you'll come around.
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:40 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,527
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
You're going to have to learn to cope with the fact that Dems lost big time in the midterms.
Yes, because winning is the only thing that matters right?

I wouldn't be too proud. The head honcho is still Democrat and so is the Senate majority. That's hardly gushing support for the Republican agenda (whatever that is).
hahn is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:42 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

But the Repubs, if effect, controls the Congress. They have the filibuster in the Senate. If they don't want something passed - it's not going to be passed.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:43 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
Yes, because winning is the only thing that matters right?

I wouldn't be too proud. The head honcho is still Democrat and so is the Senate majority. That's hardly gushing support for the Republican agenda (whatever that is).
You too are going to have to learn to accept the fact that the Dems lost big time in the midterms.
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:45 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,567
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
You're going to have to learn to cope with the fact that Dems lost big time in the midterms.

Obviously you're hesitant to now, but in time I think you'll come around.
I could be snarky and say that I don't have to learn to cope with that -- after all, the Republicans never accepted the fact that the Democrats won in 2008, so why shouldn't I follow their lead?

But I know what the election results were, and I know what it means for the balance of power in D.C. I'm just curious if any of the fools who bought into the Tea Party bullshit are having buyer's remorse now that -- barely a week after the election -- one of the most prominent Tea Party candidates is backing away from the Tea Party positions.
JasonF is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:47 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
But the Repubs, if effect, controls the Congress. They have the filibuster in the Senate. If they don't want something passed - it's not going to be passed.
They can stop stuff, but they can't necessarily pass stuff. And if they do, Obama can veto which they can't override.

So basically, both parties have the power to do nothing
Venusian is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:49 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm just curious if any of the fools who bought into the Tea Party bullshit are having buyer's remorse now that -- barely a week after the election -- one of the most prominent Tea Party candidates is backing away from the Tea Party positions.
I'm not sure there were many tea party supporters on this forum. but i suspect if there are any, they'd probably wait until the newly elected people get sworn in before they start having remorse
Venusian is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:57 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
But I know what the election results were, and I know what it means for the balance of power in D.C. I'm just curious if any of the fools who bought into the Tea Party bullshit are having buyer's remorse now that -- barely a week after the election -- one of the most prominent Tea Party candidates is backing away from the Tea Party positions.
I suspect that at least as many as bought into Obama's bullshit. But then, maybe he will start to put bills on the internet 3 days ahead of time.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 03:59 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
They can stop stuff, but they can't necessarily pass stuff. And if they do, Obama can veto which they can't override.

So basically, both parties have the power to do nothing

But the president has more to lose by not passing anything tban do the Repubs.

Therefore, I think he'll seek their approval for some things.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 04:02 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I suspect that at least as many as bought into Obama's bullshit. But then, maybe he will start to put bills on the internet 3 days ahead of time.
This is the point.

This whole 'story', and this thread, is nothing more than superficial nonsense reacting to a huge loss for the Dems only 4 years after they gained control, and two years after they sewed everything up.

It's funny.
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 04:47 PM
  #43  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Don't hold your breath to wait for him to vote any way other than a typical Republican -- in other words, he's going to talk about fiscal responsibility while robbing the public treasury to benefit his cronies and sedating the public with promises of tax cuts.
You mean as opposed to your typical Democrat, who doesn't even give lip service to fiscal responsibility but tells you that all this spending is good for you?

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
They can stop stuff, but they can't necessarily pass stuff. And if they do, Obama can veto which they can't override.

So basically, both parties have the power to do nothing
That is exactly how I like the government to operate.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 05:15 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I suspect that at least as many as bought into Obama's bullshit. But then, maybe he will start to put bills on the internet 3 days ahead of time.
As much as I hate to say it, Dave raises a valid point.

Jason is asking if tea partiers are having remorse because Paul made a statement that can be interpreted to say he will support earmarks for KY. Did Obama supporters have remorse for voting for him after he didn't put the very first law he signed on the internet for three days to get reviewed? After all, government transparency was a large part of his campaign, right?

But we've all seen that Obama supporters overlook a lot of his breaking campaign promises and I suspect tea partiers will do the same. Although since the allegiance to their candidates is probably pretty loose, a lot may not and will go after (if there is any tea party left in 2 or 6 years) those who didn't live up to their promises.
Venusian is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 05:33 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,567
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
Did Obama supporters have remorse for voting for him after he didn't put the very first law he signed on the internet for three days to get reviewed?
Good point. If only someone would point that out in every single thread that can somehow, even slightly tangentially, be related back to President Obama's failure to follow through on some of the things he said about transparency.

In fact, now that you mention it, trying to change the subject to President Obama might be a good way to deflect attention from the fact that conservatives who made noise about fiscal responsibility couldn't make it a week before revealing their true colors. Always remember -- if somebody points out your guy's failings, it's far easier to scream about the other guy's failings than to address the topic at hand.
JasonF is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 05:49 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
BKenn01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Big Blue Nation!
Posts: 4,497
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

No I fell for the he wasn't Jack Conway Democrat thingy.....
BKenn01 is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 06:08 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Good point. If only someone would point that out in every single thread that can somehow, even slightly tangentially, be related back to President Obama's failure to follow through on some of the things he said about transparency.

In fact, now that you mention it, trying to change the subject to President Obama might be a good way to deflect attention from the fact that conservatives who made noise about fiscal responsibility couldn't make it a week before revealing their true colors. Always remember -- if somebody points out your guy's failings, it's far easier to scream about the other guy's failings than to address the topic at hand.
Hmmm, like deflecting everything back to Bush. Hmmmmm, that way Obama has no real failures that are his own. Because, you know, change. Big change.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 06:09 PM
  #48  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Good point. If only someone would point that out in every single thread that can somehow, even slightly tangentially, be related back to President Obama's failure to follow through on some of the things he said about transparency.

In fact, now that you mention it, trying to change the subject to President Obama might be a good way to deflect attention from the fact that conservatives who made noise about fiscal responsibility couldn't make it a week before revealing their true colors. Always remember -- if somebody points out your guy's failings, it's far easier to scream about the other guy's failings than to address the topic at hand.
This does raise a good question, how many people here voted for Tea Party candidates and how many people here expect politicians to keep their promises?

And how many of us expected the Democratic candidates to be any better than the Tea Party candidates?

Your outrage looks pretty silly given the amount of times you've defended Democrats for their bad behavior and poor decisions.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 06:34 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

I'm appalled that someone that ran on state's rights is now showing support for his state. The audacity!

Wait, this isn't a grundle thread?
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 11-10-10, 06:46 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Re: Rand Paul: Did you fall for it?

We tried to warn you, he only ran for office so he could do Aqua Buddha's bidding.
NORML54601 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.