Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Thomas E. Dewey Vs. Robert F. Kennedy

Old 11-09-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thomas E. Dewey Vs. Robert F. Kennedy

Thomas Edmund Dewey - gangbuster extraordinaire in the 1930's; elevated to Governer on the coattails of Lucky Luciano, resident gangster in prison; tried to run for President, but never got there; never assassinated (although it was thought about by Dutch Schultz, resident gangster - but said gangster was assassinated for very conception of killing off Dewey).

Robert Francis Kennedy - gangbuster extraordinaire in the 1950's; elevated to Senator on the coattails of the Kennedy name, which was once associated with gangsters from the 1920s due to Kennedy's father alledged bootlegger rumors; tried to run for President, but never got the nomination due to being assassinated by a terrorist (although it was thought about by Jimmy Hoffa, resident prisoner due to Kennedy's unflagging pursuit - who was ultimately assassinated himself in 1975 due to wanting to reinsert himself into the presidency of the Teamsters).

The long and short of it - seems like RFK is more remembered, could be, because he was killed off, as opposed to Dewey living to be old and irrelevant? Or because RFK was the brother of the President?

I mean, Tom Dewey had his hands in all the gangster drama, yet his name is rarely mentioned except in documentaries. Never in movies (so I've seen). RFK is all over the place. It would seem to me that a movie about Tom Dewey's exploits would be fairly impressive - even if he was only a legit gangster. After all, Dewey framed Charlie Lucky Luciano with the prostitution rap, while Luciano claims - to his death - that he had nothing to do with prostitution. Dewey was able to get the whores to lie (he paid them off and didn't prosecute them), and Luciano went "up the river" on a boat of lies. Sure, he was a bad man and did a lot of bad things, and Dewey wasn't able to get him on those things, so he arranged to get him on something else, anything else, in order to prosecute him.

Robert Kennedy, I'm sure, in his dogged pursuit of Hoffa, applied unfair tactics to get the guy, all the while justifying the tactics by saying he knew he was into "bad things" but just can't "get him" for it.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 11-09-10 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-09-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Thomas E. Dewey Vs. Robert F. Kennedy

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
Thomas Edmund Dewey...tried to run for President, but never got the nomination....
Seriously do a little research on Dewey before you post.
Old 11-09-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

alright, fine - he got the nomination, but he lost anyway. The point is he lost. Pardon me if I forgot he got the nomination. It was, after all, around 70 years ago. Forgive me that, at least, Senator.
Old 11-09-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Thomas E. Dewey was the Republican candidate for president in 1948.

I remember that election year.
Old 11-09-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Thomas E. Dewey was the Republican candidate for president in 1948.
Right! And the newspapers jumped the gun and said "Dewey Beats Truman!"

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-09-10, 04:53 PM

Instead of getting your panties in a bunch why not correct your mistake in the original post and just move on? (Something you still have not done as of this post even though you know of your mistake) Isnít there enough misinformation on the internet already? Why add to it with another poorly researched post?

By the way, Dewey was the Republican nominee in 1944 and 1948.
Old 11-09-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post

Thomas Edmund Dewey - tried to run for President, but never got there.
Fixed.
Old 11-09-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Now who is getting their panties in a bunch?
Old 11-09-10, 05:43 PM

In this case it would be me.

What can I say I have little tolerance when people go defensive instead of just correcting a factual mistake and moving on.
Old 11-09-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Robert F. Kennedy is more remembered because:

His name is "Kennedy."
His brother, John, was an assassinated President.
Robert himself was assassinated five years later while running for his party's nomination.

Dewey will only be remembered for that newspaper headline.