DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   San Franscisco to bans toys in happy meals....IF... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/581570-san-franscisco-bans-toys-happy-meals-if.html)

kvrdave 11-03-10 08:01 PM

San Franscisco to bans toys in happy meals....IF...

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/94112

Sorry, kids: Turns out a happy meal is not a healthy meal, at least according to the standards of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

The board approved a preliminary ban that would strip kids' fast-food meals of toys that don't meet specific dietary guidelines. No fruit cup or carrots? Then no toy. Same goes for meals loaded with calories, salt, sugar, and fat.

While the ban has its critics — San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom for one, McDonald's for another — the legislation aims to give parents a boost in not competing with a Shrek toy when trying to convince junior of a healthy — or at least healthier — choice.

News of the fast-food change caused a feeding frenzy on Yahoo! for "happy meal ban," "san francisco bans happy meals," annd "mcdonalds happy meal toys."

A McDonald's franchise owner (and probably some kids) accused the ordinance of taking the happy out of their meals. Other critics pointed out that the ban would be bad for business: What would stop Happy Meal fans from driving to the next town over to get their fix. McDonald's denounced the decision as one that parents did not want.

If the final vote is approved next week, the ban would begin in December, 2011.
:lol: liberals slay me.

RoyalTea 11-03-10 08:03 PM

Re: San Franscisco to bans toys in happy meals....IF...

I love how liberals think they're pro-choice & believe that what a person does to their own body is none of the government's business, that is unless a person wants to do something to their body that liberals don't approve of.

or, in other words ...

ending the life of a fetus = NONE OF THE GOVERNMENT'S BUSINESS!!!!!!!
buying a hamburger for your child = PARENTS CANNOT BE TRUSTED!!!!!!!

X 11-03-10 08:13 PM

It's going to get way worse soon. Mayor Newsom won Lt. Governor so he's leaving and every viable replacement is a complete wacko. Newsom was only part-wacko and often stopped the worst legislation that the board of supervisors passed.

crazyronin 11-03-10 08:14 PM

Remind me why I shouldn't consider "liberaltarianism" as an incredibly stupid joke.

Deadman31 11-03-10 08:30 PM

I wonder what Mayor McCheese thinks of this development.

Josh-da-man 11-03-10 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 10471433)
I love how liberals think they're pro-choice & believe that what a person does to their own body is none of the government's business, that is unless a person wants to do something to their body that liberals don't approve of.

or, in other words ...

Since I believe that dietary and reproductive choices are none of the government's business, I guess that makes me a libertarian.

cdollaz 11-03-10 08:38 PM

While carrots or fruit should be a substitution offered in kid's meals, it's none of the govt's business.

Nugent 11-03-10 08:40 PM

I approve of this! :thumbsup:

Obviously the government in San Fran has determined parents of the area are entirely too stupid to raise their own children.

Hopefully more regulations and various bans will be implemented to further the all knowing government’s causes.

Supermallet 11-03-10 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Deadman31 (Post 10471473)
I wonder what Mayor McCheese thinks of this development.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zeyU7uVOTic?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zeyU7uVOTic?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

porieux 11-03-10 09:45 PM

Not sure if this particular law is a good idea or not, but I don't disagree in principle.

Yeah people should make the right choices for themselves but they don't, and kids do need to be protected.

Personally I think ALL restaurants should be held accountable for making their food healthier.
For example banning trans fats is a great idea with no downside, that shit is poison.

kvrdave 11-03-10 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by porieux (Post 10471610)
Not sure if this particular law is a good idea or not, but I don't disagree in principle.

Yeah people should make the right choices for themselves but they don't, and kids do need to be protected.

Personally I think ALL restaurants should be held accountable for making their food healthier.
For example banning trans fats is a great idea with no downside, that shit is poison.

What if I don't want to eat healthier food?

OldDude 11-03-10 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 10471433)
or, in other words ...

Or
smoking weed - none of the government's damned business
getting a plastic toy with your trans and saturated fat - evil incarnate

JasonF 11-03-10 10:17 PM

This law has nothing to do with what people are and are not allowed to eat and everything to do with how McDonalds is or is not allowed to market its products to children.

CaptainMarvel 11-03-10 10:25 PM

Because we have an epidemic of sub-10-year-olds prostituting themselves out so they can raise the cash to buy the Happy Meals themselves, then carjacking a car to get to the restaurant? If they're there with money, that should tell you something about parental involvement.

Solution: don't let McDonalds sell Happy Meals to children without parental supervision. If the parents are there and making a decision to buy the meals for the children, it doesn't matter how much McDonalds markets to kids. It's the adult making the decision. Quit trying to run such a nanny-state.

movielib 11-03-10 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 10471675)
This law has nothing to do with what people are and are not allowed to eat and everything to do with how McDonalds is or is not allowed to market its products to children.

Oh, that makes it OK, then.

porieux 11-03-10 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 10471654)
What if I don't want to eat healthier food?

Well I don't foresee anyone forcing food down your throat, but I assume you would like to be healthy. It's amazingly hard to find decent food unless you make it yourself.

X 11-03-10 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by movielib (Post 10471693)
Oh, that makes it OK, then.

Yeah, and I don't like how that talking shredded wheat with sugar appeals to kids in commercials either.

movielib 11-03-10 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by X (Post 10471723)
Yeah, and I don't like how that talking shredded wheat with sugar appeals to kids in commercials either.

You see, that's the trouble with advertising. It insidiously gets people to think they want something. Utterly demonic.

Josh-da-man 11-03-10 10:46 PM

But what if I want the toy and french fries?

Then I have to buy TWO Happy meals, eat both hamburgers, the french fries, and throw out the fucking carrot sticks.

TheBigDave 11-03-10 10:53 PM

First they came for the cigarettes, and I didn't speak up because I didn't smoke.

Then they came for the junk food....

kvrdave 11-03-10 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by porieux (Post 10471701)
Well I don't foresee anyone forcing food down your throat, but I assume you would like to be healthy. It's amazingly hard to find decent food unless you make it yourself.

Hell, I didn't foresee anyone saying you don't get a toy in your happy meal unless the meal is state* approved.

*State not refering to CA, but to the governing body.

kvrdave 11-03-10 10:58 PM

:lol: Egads, you are going to defend this?

movielib 11-03-10 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 10471749)
:lol: Egads, you are going to defend this?

Is there any government action JasonF will not rationalize and defend? ;)

JasonF 11-03-10 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by movielib (Post 10471752)
Is there any government action JasonF will not rationalize and defend? ;)

Contrary to popular belief, government officials don't spend their days trying to think up irrational solutions to non-existent problems. I get that here in libertarian land, an thou harm none, do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, but in other parts of the world, there are some people who think that the government should stop businesses from preying on kids. I mean, do the people who oppose this law also oppose the laws banning cigarette and alcohol companies from marketing to kids?

kvrdave 11-03-10 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 10471787)
Contrary to popular belief, government officials don't spend their days trying to think up irrational solutions to non-existent problems. I get that here in libertarian land, an thou harm none, do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, but in other parts of the world, there are some people who think that the government should stop businesses from preying on kids. I mean, do the people who oppose this law also oppose the laws banning cigarette and alcohol companies from marketing to kids?

Seriously? That seems like a sane argument to you? Why not simply outlaw candy sales to anyone under 18? Hersey's markets to kids you know. Hell, they prey on them. How can you stand for that? Same with sports drinks, soda, doritos, etc. How can you live with yourself knowing that kids are buying this stuff and you sit by and let it happen? Why do you hate kids so much?