Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

San Franscisco to bans toys in happy meals....IF...

Old 11-04-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: San Franscisco to bans toys in happy meals....IF...

Originally Posted by dork View Post
If they are adults, yes.
It is becoming clearer and clearer to me that liberatarianism is based on a view of the human psyche that was discredited around 1870.
Old 11-04-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
It is becoming clearer and clearer to me that liberatarianism is based on a view of the human psyche that was discredited around 1870.

Also, can someone please explain to me why everyone seems to be posting as if the words "toys in" were not in the thread title?
Old 11-04-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I suppose it's the Joe Camel argument. Creating demand through advertising to unsuspecting kids.

The question then is do you equate McDonalds slop to cigarettes. I don't think I'd go that far but it's not far behind given the amount of fat slobs walking around these days.
I wouldn't equate fast foods to cigarettes either, but I do feel that young children are generally at greater risk of developing poor dietary habits than taking up smoking, and this can also lead to serious health consequences down the road. I think as a society we could do much better encouraging proper eating habits in young people, because good or bad, the habit tends to stay with people for a long, long time.

It's debatable whether banning happy meal toys is a good idea, or will result in any behavioral changes (probably not).
Old 11-04-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork View Post

Also, can someone please explain to me why everyone seems to be posting as if the words "toys in" were not in the thread title?
And should "happy meals" in the title should be replaced with "kid's meals" since this applies to all restaurants? I'm sure McDonald's marketing department is lovin it.

How much you want to bet that there will still be the usual kid's meals but the "toy" will be something that can't be classified as a toy (coupons to Toys R Us?). So nothing really changes and parents can continue to fatten up their kids.
Old 11-04-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This tear rolling down my cheek is the the result of just thinking about McDonalds going out of business.

Yes, that's me.
Old 11-04-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
While carrots or fruit should be a substitution offered in kid's meals, it's none of the govt's business.
Fruit is offered as a possibility in Happy Meals. You can get apples. Instead of soda, you can also get fruit juice or milk too. Chic Filet lets you substitute yogurt for their waffle fries. You can make a Happy Meal unhealthy, but you don't have to.
Old 11-04-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So because a burger or chicken-type stuff comes with apples, it's healthy?

This is Chicken McNuggets.

Old 11-04-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not the Chicken McNuggets at McDonalds.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

Note the part that says:

Although McDonald's are typically offered as an example of a popular MSP-based food, since 2003 that product has been made with all white meat rather than MSP.
Old 11-04-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Toy or not, any parent feeding their child that slop on a regular basis is an idiot or lazy as hell.
The law sounds stupid to me too. I suppose the idea is that if there is no toy, kids won't want Happy Meals. That doesn't prevent parents from getting them anyway.
I agree. I don't eat at McDonalds, but when my kids get good grades (or something like that) we'll get them whatever they want from there (I get food from somewhere else and take it home). But I wouldn't be allowed to get my kid a happy meal with a toy because some parents suck. That is stupid.

If I'm McDonalds, I sell the toy for a penny with the purchase of a happy meal. If that doesn't work, I give out toys in adult meals and the kids and parents will just get those instead of happy meals.
Old 11-04-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stp115 View Post
Not the Chicken McNuggets at McDonalds.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

Note the part that says:

Although McDonald's are typically offered as an example of a popular MSP-based food, since 2003 that product has been made with all white meat rather than MSP.
It's not what you know, it's what you think you know.
Old 11-04-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
It's not what you know, it's what you think you know.
Yup'. And the truth just gets you some extra credit - but is not necessary.
Old 11-04-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This tear rolling down my cheek is the the result of just thinking about McDonalds going out of business.

Yes, that's me.
You're an actor of Italian descent portraying a Native American?
Old 11-04-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Less sarcastically, why does it always have to be a goddamned slippery slope argument?
Because we've seen Mayor Bloomberg's campaign agaisnt unhealthy food in NYC and think San Franciscans are just as crazy?
Old 11-04-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Because we've seen Mayor Bloomberg's campaign agaisnt unhealthy food in NYC and think San Franciscans are just as crazy?
In fact, New York has turned into a ghost town since the trans fat ban. If only they had listened!
Old 11-04-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
No argument here, but people have the right to be stupid, no?
No, at least not an unlimited right. That's why we have things like OSHA and FDA regulations and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. You may want to paint your nursery walls with lead based paint and watch your kid eat the chips as they flake off, but we as a society have decided that we're not going to allow you the right to do that.
Old 11-04-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, I included the Mc. Parents feed their kids nuggets of varying origin. The point is that fast food is processed crap. Mmm, that "beef" has a sound lineage I'm sure.

McDonalds as a treat or a reward is mind boggling to me. My daughter would want lobster.
Old 11-04-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

McDonalds as a treat or a reward is mind boggling to me. My daughter would want lobster.
Maybe ours would too, if we paid more in taxes than we currently make in a year.

For now, our kids will have to settle for McLobster.
Old 11-04-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

J
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No, at least not an unlimited right. That's why we have things like OSHA and FDA regulations and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. You may want to paint your nursery walls with lead based paint and watch your kid eat the chips as they flake off, but we as a society have decided that we're not going to allow you the right to do that.
hamburger = lead paint ?
Old 11-04-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the tax cut. We won't be providing any jobs or spending it.

You can get McLobster at Long John Silvers. Mmmm, treat tonight kids!
Old 11-04-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
J

hamburger = lead paint ?
Fat slob = endless health problems and early death
Old 11-04-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can I still get a toy with my McRib?
Old 11-04-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, I included the Mc. Parents feed their kids nuggets of varying origin. The point is that fast food is processed crap. Mmm, that "beef" has a sound lineage I'm sure.

I did want to say that I agree with you that the law is stupid. Fast food certainly shouldn't be a regular part of a diet, but with the rights choices, makes for a much better stopping point on a long (6 hour) car trip. My boy gets to play and get some exercise and all I have to do is to exert the tiniest bit of thought and my son can get a meal that is reasonably healthy and play in an environment that is reasonably clean.

And I hate the damn toys. I would be thrilled if McDonalds decided to ditch them altogether. I'd just want it to be McDonald's choice and not a silly law.
Old 11-04-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only time we ever ingest McDonalds is on I-95 through Connecticut where McDonalds seemingly has a total monopoly on rest stops. This past summer, we realized there was a pizza place stuck in the back too.

Those McDonalds play areas always creeped me out though. I'm no germaphobe but I think I'd pass on those.
Old 11-04-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

People are looking at it as 'banning toys' but that's only if McDonalds refuses to cooperate right?
So by framing the argument that way you are basically feeding into their corporate spin.
Would it be so hard for them to offer some damn fruit or vegetables? No it would not.
Old 11-04-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only time we ever ingest McDonalds is on I-95 through Connecticut where McDonalds seemingly has a total monopoly on rest stops. This past summer, we realized there was a pizza place stuck in the back too.

Those McDonalds play areas always creeped me out though. I'm no germaphobe but I think I'd pass on those.
My trips are basically from Atlanta to coastal Georgia. Once you rule out "restaurants" that double as gas stations, the pickings start to look a bit slim. I've seen some sketchy play areas, but most seem to make a good point of keeping them clean. I do tend to bail early if the play area gets crowded though. A lot of kids combined in an area where adults can't see what the kids are doing (or have done, accidentally or no) is a bad mix.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.