Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Alaska Senate Mess

Old 11-03-10, 03:26 AM

The Alaska Senate Mess

I'm giving this it's own thread, because this might drag on for a few weeks. Expect a bunch of court battles and election officials squinting at ballots.

With nearly 70 percent of precincts reporting, about 39.3 percent of the voters had filled in the write-in oval on their ballot. Most of those likely wrote in incumbent Sen. Murkowski, who spent over $1 million telling voters to "fill it in, write in" after she lost to Joe Miller in the Aug. 24 Republican primary. But it won't be clear for weeks at least how many wrote in Murkowski's name, and how many did it properly enough to be counted.

------------------------

The Division of Elections has sent out more than 42,000 absentee ballots. The first batch of those, as well as questioned ballots, will be counted Nov. 9. Some absentee ballots mailed back from overseas won't be counted until Nov. 17.

If there are enough write-in ballots the issue will come up of how many wrote in Murkowski's name. Alaska's computerized voting system shows how many voters filled in the oval for a write-in candidate but not the actual name the voter wrote in. The write-in ballots are only opened to look at the name if there are more of them than votes for the leading candidate, or if the number of write-in ballots is within .5 percent of the frontrunner.

That count would begin Nov. 18 and be expected to last three days. The campaigns have been getting ready for the court challenges over "voter intent" that would be expected to follow. Minor misspellings are probably OK but simply writing "Lisa M," for example, could be a problem.

Read the full article at:
http://www.adn.com/2010/11/02/153296...beginning.html
Old 11-03-10, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Alaska Senate Mess

It will be interesting to see how the votes end for Miller or McAdams as that will be where the real winner is decided.
Old 11-03-10, 07:47 AM

99% Precincts Reporting

Write-In Votes 81,876 41.00%
Joe Miller (R) 68,288 34.20%
Scott T. McAdams (D) 47,414 23.74%
Miller will have to overcome around 14,000 votes. He'll need a huge chunk of absentee votes and hope a lot of people have bad handwriting.
Old 11-03-10, 08:50 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Will votes with 'Lisa' or 'Lisa M' count?
Old 11-03-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

81,000 write ins. Wow.
Old 11-03-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
Will votes with 'Lisa' or 'Lisa M' count?
If it's up to the republicans, write ins that haven't dotted the "i" in Murkowski will be tossed.

I know you can write in literally anyone, but how many people were publicly sponsoring a write-in campaign up there?
Old 11-03-10, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I know you can write in literally anyone, but how many people were publicly sponsoring a write-in campaign up there?
Didn't a bunch of people with names similar to Murkowski's register at the last minute in order to muddy the waters?
Old 11-03-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought I also read/heard somewhere that Alaska law states a write-in must be spelled correctly to count so intention does not matter.
Old 11-03-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
I thought I also read/heard somewhere that Alaska law states a write-in must be spelled correctly to count so intention does not matter.
Old 11-03-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
If it's up to the republicans, write ins that haven't dotted the "i" in Murkowski will be tossed.
Don't forget trying to throw out any vote of

Murkowski,Lisa
Misses Lisa Murkowski
Miss Lisa Murkowski
Ms Lisa Murkowski
Senator Lisa Murkowski
Old 11-03-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One can only hope the fly in the experts.

Old 11-03-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
81,000 write ins. Wow.
Yeah, what does that say about Joe Miller?
Old 11-03-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

It doesn't really matter who wins Alaska as far as the political landscape is concerned.

Both possible winners will caucus with the Repubs and vote 90-95% of the time with the Repubs.
Old 11-03-10, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
It doesn't really matter who wins Alaska as far as the political landscape is concerned.

Both possible winners will caucus with the Repubs and vote 90-95% of the time with the Repubs.
Sometimes you simply have no sense of romance, you know that?
Old 11-03-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't believe Murkowski believes unemployment benefits are unconstitutional or wants to eliminate social security or Medicare. So, yes, it matters.
Old 11-03-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

You're right. If Miller wins it will mean the end of unemployment benefits, Social Security, and Medicare.
Old 11-03-10, 11:46 AM

You're right. If Miller wins it will mean the end of unemployment benefits, Social Security, and Medicare.
One the one hand, you are right in that the choice between one moderately conservative Republican senator and another, very conservative Republican senator won't matter a whole lot in terms of the legislative direction of the Senate, especially as the GOP are still in the minority. But taken to its logical conclusion, what that means is that elections don't really matter, and we know that's not the case. Elections matter a great deal, or else why would people spend billions of dollars on them. So, clearly the difference between Miller and Murkowski matters - maybe not in the short term, but quite probably in the long term. And, possibly in the short term as well - is it so far fetched that Murkowski would be the 60th vote for cloture on some bill when Miller wouldn't?
Old 11-03-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe that it DOES matter a bit for the national political landscape. Miller was Palin's guy.... if Miller loses to Murkowski in such a dramatic fashion it at least in part cashes Palin's reality check.
Old 11-03-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

I believe Murkowski is a little less conservative - only a little, however.

This mess started because Palin doesn't like the Murkowskis and the Murkowskis don't like Palin. It's an internal struggle.

Why can't we all just get along?
Old 11-03-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Judging by many posters here and several of the new wave of Republicans, social programs are very much under attack.

I still cannot fathom the concept of removing Medicare coverage for seniors. I really don't know if the folks who favor this are that cold-hearted or that ignorant.
Old 11-03-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Elections matter a great deal, or else why would people spend billions of dollars on them.
Because they want money, and power, and favors/gifts from those with money and power?
Old 11-03-10, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I still cannot fathom the concept of removing Medicare coverage for seniors. I really don't know if the folks who favor this are that cold-hearted or that ignorant.
Republicans don't want to remove Medicare coverage for seniors. They just want to get government out of health care!
Old 11-03-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Medicare coverage is not going to eliminated.

Neither party would have that.

One reason - old folks vote.

What may happen is that there is some push for the reform of Medicare, like there was/and probably will be, a push for reform in Social Security.
Old 11-03-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure, I agree but there are elected officials and certain posters in the forum that have expressed the desire. I don't understand it. It's certainly a more pressing issue than a large portion of our defense budget.
Old 11-03-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

When new senators & congressmen go to Washington and see what is going on - it will take them 6 months or so - they tend to see things differently. Washington is 'catching.'

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.