Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

New York now has a paper ballot - share your experience

Old 11-02-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New York now has a paper ballot - share your experience

I waited in line to vote for about 15 minutes. The volunteers herded me along through stations where the new paper ballot was explained to me. The paper ballot was set up as if it were a picture of the usual voting machine, and had propositions on the back to vote for. You vote by coloring in a circle.
At each of the three stations I was hered to, a volunteer, using a pen pointed out columns, changes, and how to color in circles using a felt-tip marker. I was then given a cardboard "privacy folder" to place my ballot in for carrying to the scanner.
I was then sent to the next line where I waited a short time for a private booth. Once in the booth I began coloring in the circles for the candidates I hated least. When finished I took it to the scanning booth which promptly rejected my ballot. A technician advised me that I must have voted for two candidates in the same category, and asked if I would like to bypass that office (voiding that vote), or if I would like to get another ballot and redo my voting. After asking to redo the ballot the technician hit a red button which returned my ballot revealing that I had filled out the info correctly. I was told, "Maybe the pen marks on the ballot from the volunteers caused an error."

Back to the line for another ballot, then to the line for a booth for another try. This time while coloring in my circles a woman was in the quad-cubicle booth next to me. Her child shook the booth while I was coloring in my circle with the provided felt-tip marker causing a mark outside the circle.
I continued, and completed ballot #2. I returned to the scanner which beeped again. The technician said it was probably from the marker being jared outside the circle by the child. He asked if I wanted to override that vote (voiding it), or if I wanted to get another ballot. This time I saw the lines had grown to great lengths and opted to void that vote.

For the record, I never used the foul language that my brain was thinking.
Old 11-02-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: New York now has a paper ballot - share your experience

I think we should just go to dropping marbles in a jar.
Old 11-02-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There were a lot of attractive hipster chicks at my polling place, so i just did what i did for the SATs. Colored in the boxes to read "Hi Cutie" and flashed it at them.
Old 11-02-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

G for McMillan
Old 11-03-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was fine. I didn't like that anyone could look at my ballot as I fed it into the scanner, but other that, whatever.

I do miss the mechanical lever machines though. That felt like voting.
Old 11-03-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I should start a thread about how I've voted 8 times since turning 18, both with paper and digital, and I've never had a hanging chad, miss-filled bubble, voting machine malfunction, etc. What the fuck is wrong with all the people who can't vote correctly? How do they get anything done? It's easier than using a television and I know all the dumb fucks can do that.
Old 11-03-10, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I should start a thread about how I've voted 8 times since turning 18, both with paper and digital, and I've never had a hanging chad, miss-filled bubble, voting machine malfunction, etc.
How would you know? These are things that are typically discovered AFTER the voter is long gone.
Old 11-04-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know, because I can actually see if a chad is hanging, I have observational skills. I know, on a digital machine because it prints out an analogue printed copy that I can visually inspect. If malfeasance or retardation happens downstream it isn't the result of me being an idiot. Unlike everyone in Florida or the numerous "tales of stupidity" you hear every election season:

"I went into the booth and when I pushed the button for (Democrate) it filled in a vote for (Republican). Now pardon me sonny, I must be going because I have an apointment to mix up the excelerator and the brake and back into a crowded supermarket."
Old 11-04-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know, because I can actually see if a chad is hanging, I have observational skills. I know, on a digital machine because it prints out an analogue printed copy that I can visually inspect. If malfeasance or retardation happens downstream it isn't the result of me being an idiot. Unlike everyone in Florida or the numerous "tales of stupidity" you hear every election season:

"I went into the booth and when I pushed the button for (Democrate) it filled in a vote for (Republican). Now pardon me sonny, I must be going because I have an apointment to mix up the excelerator and the brake and back into a crowded supermarket."
Democrate? Observational skills indeed...
Old 11-04-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 11-04-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

They don't do printouts in VA on electronic machines. I have no idea whether my vote is counted or not. Frankly I don't really care all that much since my vote usually doesn't matter anyhow.
Old 11-04-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
Democrate? Observational skills indeed...
Thank you spelling police, your observations always contribute so much to the discussion.

I'm sure with diligence and perseverance you could successfully derail every single thread on the first page. And then posting here would be really fun.
Old 11-04-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you spelling police, your observations always contribute so much to the discussion.

I'm sure with diligence and perseverance you could successfully derail every single thread on the first page. And then posting here would be really fun.
Oh, honey, no. Just no.
Old 11-11-10, 02:38 PM

I think it is great. I did not have to wait at all. They had magnifying glasses to help the voters read the small print. You checked the boxes of your choice then you scan the ballot into the scanner. There was someone there to help you do this. Once people get use to it I think it will be find.
Old 11-11-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't like that after the machine scanned your paper there was no conformation screen showing your votes to see that the machine read your paper correctly. It just said, Thanks for voting or something like that.