Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Explain to a uninformed Canadian what's going on in the States.

Old 10-31-10, 02:54 AM

Explain to a uninformed Canadian what's going on in the States.

I really don't care about politics, either American NOR Canadian but there's some stuff I'm just curious about because i keep hearing about it.

I watch alot of American tv and there's some things/jokes i just don't get because i have no clue what's going on.

So explain to me in really simple terms (as if you're teaching 3rd grade :P) a few things for me. I guess i could google it but i don't feel like reading huge amount of info on a subject i'm only slightly curious about.

So first thing. WTF is the Tea Party thing i keep hearing about on talk shows and SNL?

And second, what are the election this tuesday about? Does it have anything to do with the big picture (the actual white house and the president etc) or is it just governor/senator of every state type thing? Here in Montreal the American channels i get are from Vermont and there's about 3-4 commercials per block of commercials about the elections.

Oh and one last thing that might start a war but i was always curious about. How does one choose between Democrat or Republican? Do you just follow what your parents are and what their parents were and so forth? Has anyone ever 'switched'? heh :P

Wouldn't a presidential election be easy to guess by just knowing the number of Democrats and Republicans? I mean if there's two huge factions in a country and each has a candidate....

If this is stupid just lock the thread, i don't care. Was just curious about it cuz i don't personally know any Americans :P

Thanks!
Old 10-31-10, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Explain to a uninformed Canadian what's going on in the States.

The tea party is mostly a bunch of right wing folk who want to take the govt back. Problem is most of em are nuts.

The elections Tuesday are for House ans Senate seats. Not as important as a presidential election, but pretty important in terms of handcuffing Obama's nonsense.

I discovered Ayn Rand and later Libertarianism @ age 16 and voted that way ever since I could. My family is almost all left wing nuts except for my uncle's family who are right wing nuts. I vote for the candidate who will most closely abide by beliefs.
Old 10-31-10, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 View Post
Was just curious about it cuz i don't personally know any Americans :P
Damn, you're lucky!
Old 10-31-10, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tea Party = a bunch of spoiled partisans who are throwing a tantrum because they're not the ones in charge
Old 10-31-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Tea Party: See Alice in Wonderland.

What the election is about: Choosing who will screw us.

Republicans and Democrats: Flip a coin. Heads, R; tails, D. If it lands on the edge, vote Libertarian.

In other words, much like Canada.
Old 10-31-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

See, now there's two. Just as I've feared and predicted many times on this forum. Soon the Quebecois will be taking over this board, and we'll all be relegated to discussing their issues and commenting on their politics.
Old 10-31-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The two-year election cycle is important (not as important as the President every 4 years) because we elect the entire House of Representatives and 1/3 the Senate (as well as a bunch of State offices). Congress passes the laws and the President runs the administration; Congress doesn't necessarily go along with the President's agenda and they hold the legislative authority. (The President isn't necessarily from the majority party in Congress, as is the Prime Minister in Canada.)

While the election represents our chance to largely (and legally) overthrow the government every other year, we mostly reelect the same idiots. If you continue to elect who you elected, you continue to get what you got (screwed).
Old 10-31-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
How does one choose between Democrat or Republican? Do you just follow what your parents are and what their parents were and so forth? Has anyone ever 'switched'? heh :P

Wouldn't a presidential election be easy to guess by just knowing the number of Democrats and Republicans? I mean if there's two huge factions in a country and each has a candidate....
This is hard. We do have a thing called "freedom" in this country, which means that a child is free to switch parties at any time before the age of 7, provided that they complete the paperwork (which is available in 437 native languages). So birth records are not sufficient.

Further complicating things, counting living and legal citizens alone and only once would not accurately represent the voting Democrats.

Also, when the leader of our country is found to be either "Evil and stupid" (Bush) or an "America-Hating Muslim Foreigner" (Hussein Obama) then something called the "Bill of Rights" kicks in, which means the President elected two elections prior, if he is still living and has received a Lewinsky in the Oval Office, makes some phone calls to influence the nation for the better, and we vote again.

I think that about covers America. Oh, and we also have Lindsay Lohan.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 10-31-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-31-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As for the Tea Party, they harken back to pivotal times in Boston, vowing to never forget nor repeat a tragic incident involving a man by the name of Bill Buckner.
Old 10-31-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

What we really need to convey to the Canadians is that there are 163 (last count) Libertarians in the U.S. And, that this forum has 100 of them.
Old 10-31-10, 10:29 AM

The Tea Party began out of Ron Paul's campaign for president in '08, but was almost immediately co-opted by the usual suspects of the GOP. It has essentially devolved into a group of the same people who brought you the Bush the lesser years, and by now is mostly comprised of nothing more than the more extreme aspects of the Republican party re-branded as something different. It is, for the most part, a combination of the worst aspects from the Bush the lesser years, ie, bomb the Muslims, let special interests dictate policy (as long as they're the 'right' special interests), talk a good game of reducing spending (but of course the greatest sources of expenditures, military, SS, and medicare/medicaid, are off limits), etc...The movement itself is admirable in many ways, but so far the so called 'tea party candidates' are fairly abysmal, as there are no 'Ron Paul' type candidates that I'm aware of. We'll find out soon enough if their walk will match their talk...

The elections coming up are for midterms in US house and senate, as well as individual state legislatures and governors. These elections are every bit as important as when we elect our benevolent dictator every 4 years, as the house and senate theoretically have the duty to prevent executive abuses of power, but sadly over the years, have decided they don't want to live up to the responsibility bestowed to them by the constitution and continue to cede more powers to our benevolent dictator.

Voting democrat or republican has evolved into voting for the lesser of two evils, but voting for either is still voting for evil, so like movielib suggested, vote libertarian
Old 10-31-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movielib
How does one choose between Democrat or Republican? Do you just follow what your parents are and what their parents were and so forth? Has anyone ever 'switched'? heh :P
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
This is hard. We do have a thing called "freedom" in this country, which means that a child is free to switch parties at any time before the age of 7, provided that they complete the paperwork (which is available in 437 native languages). So birth records are not sufficient.

Further complicating things, counting living and legal citizens alone and only once would not accurately represent the voting Democrats.

Also, when the leader of our country is found to be either "Evil and stupid" (Bush) or an "America-Hating Muslim Foreigner" (Hussein Obama) then something called the "Bill of Rights" kicks in, which means the President elected two elections prior, if he is still living and has received a Lewinsky in the Oval Office, makes some phone calls to influence the nation for the better, and we vote again.

I think that about covers America. Oh, and we also have Lindsay Lohan.
Huh? How did you attribute what the OP asked to me?

I'm not friggin' Canadian!
Old 10-31-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
What we really need to convey to the Canadians is that there are 163 (last count) Libertarians in the U.S. And, that this forum has 100 of them.
Which is why it's the best damn forum there ever was.
Old 10-31-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Funkpie View Post
...there are no 'Ron Paul' [Tea Party] type candidates that I'm aware of.
Rand Paul?
Old 10-31-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We are an argumentative people, so you decide your party based on hating whoever was in charge sometime around your 20s (YMMV).

Also, the Tea Party, like most 'movements', are just another group of individuals who love spending money on the political machine so long as it's not a tax.
Old 10-31-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Old 10-31-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Funkpie View Post
Voting democrat or republican has evolved into voting for the lesser of two evils, but voting for either is still voting for evil, so like movielib suggested, vote libertarian
This is convoluted, but try to follow. If you vote libertarian, your vote doesn't really count (because they never win). What you have actually done is help the greater evil by failing to contribute to the vote delta between the greater and lesser evil. On the other hand, you have made a pointless protest of both evils, but failed to affect which evil is in charge of the country.

That (perhaps sadly) is the fundamental truth of our two party system.
Old 10-31-10, 02:03 PM

Rand Paul?
Kinda. His rhetoric sucks, but I do think he will be the most pro-liberty of them all. Ironically, he has the pro-war stance, but I don't think he'll be that way. I hope he is just spewing that stance to get elected. Like I said, we'll find out shortly if they walk the walk.
Old 10-31-10, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
This is convoluted, but try to follow. If you vote libertarian, your vote doesn't really count (because they never win). What you have actually done is help the greater evil by failing to contribute to the vote delta between the greater and lesser evil. On the other hand, you have made a pointless protest of both evils, but failed to affect which evil is in charge of the country.

I understand that. Generally, I will vote 3rd party if there is a choice. Unless there is a real discernible difference between the R and D, I'll will vote for the one I like best, but otherwise, it's a third party vote. If there is no choice in that situation, I don't cast a vote, a la, state rep for me. I wrote in myself, as there was no other choice.

Last edited by Funkpie; 10-31-10 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-31-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh? How did you attribute what the OP asked to me?
No idea how that happened. Maybe I was originally going to quote you on something and got lost in cut and paste land. Either that or man's influence on global warming is destroying the forum software.
Old 10-31-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rand Paul?
But he worships Aqua Buddah and sacrifices virgins and other nefarious things!
Old 10-31-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it lands on the edge, vote Libertarian.
And as a bonus you get to hear other people's thoughts in your mind.
Old 10-31-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post

If the count difference between two candidates is more than one, your vote doesn't count either.
Old 10-31-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A uniformed Canadian:

Old 10-31-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

excentris isn't the only uninformed Canadian?!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.