Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

"I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Old 10-24-10, 02:46 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Hmm, well I guess something equivalent for me would be grabbing my Bible and going out the door to Church. I'm sure there are neighbors that see me and absolutely hate and despise that... I do think about it sometimes, but as I said, would be more concerned over treatment than potential thoughts which may or may not be there.
There is a difference between neighbors and someone silently judging while listening to you masturbate through the wall.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 02:51 PM
  #52  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Yes, I find the silent judgement to be much more of a turn-on when someone listens to me masturbate.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 02:53 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,536
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
There is a difference between neighbors and someone silently judging while listening to you masturbate through the wall.

Ahh, I misinterpreted, you're referring to people in your immediate living area. I thought you were talking about everyone.

Just curious - say you meet me at a coffee shop or bar (I'd pick the bar, lol) during our conversation you find out I attend Church. Do you think - "he seems nice", or "he's probably a judgmental prick."

Edit: Lol, I first typed conversation as conversion....
Artman is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 03:01 PM
  #54  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,843
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Just curious - say you meet me at a coffee shop or bar (I'd pick the bar, lol) during our conversation you find out I attend Church. Do you think - "he seems nice", or "he's probably a judgmental prick."
Does your comment come before or after Dave masturbates?
Groucho is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 03:05 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Ahh, I misinterpreted, you're referring to people in your immediate living area. I thought you were talking about everyone.

Just curious - say you meet me at a coffee shop or bar (I'd pick the bar, lol) during our conversation you find out I attend Church. Do you think - "he seems nice", or "he's probably a judgmental prick."

Edit: Lol, I first typed conversation as conversion....
No, no. I have a huge respect for religion. 90% of my friends are Christian and whenever I visit my mother in Tulsa I attend church with her every week. I am perhaps the most tolerant and non-judgmental atheist you will meet (if fact I have often argued that the first amendment was never intended to be a true "separation of church and state" and completely respect the Judeo-Christian traditions on which this country was founded).

That said in my own house, on my own time (as in, when I don't have guests over) I would prefer not to feel like I am being judged for my slightly hedonistic lifestyle.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 03:08 PM
  #56  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Masturbating is slightly hedonistic? Shit, my roommate must think I'm a fucking party animal if that's the case.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 03:14 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Masturbating is slightly hedonistic? Shit, my roommate must think I'm a fucking party animal if that's the case.
No the masturbation is just where the thought of judgement might pop in my mind at the wrong time and ruin the flow. I tend to sleep around. A lot.

And midget beastiality porn.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 03:16 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,574
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
While it's nice to say "Who cares what anyone thinks of you," if you were really living with someone who looked down on you for who you are or what you believe, it would become a tense situation really fast.
Well, like I said -- judgmental people are going to judge you no matter what. For example, I am constantly judging you for reasons completely unrelated to your religious beliefs.

I will add that if anybody is being judgmental in the story, it is the woman who has decided that she can only live with a Christian, even before she meets a non-Christian potential roommate.
JasonF is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 03:22 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I will add that if anybody is being judgmental in the story, it is the woman who has decided that she can only live with a Christian, even before she meets a non-Christian potential roommate.
so what? why does this need to be legislated?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 03:34 PM
  #60  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Well, like I said -- judgmental people are going to judge you no matter what. For example, I am constantly judging you for reasons completely unrelated to your religious beliefs.
That's fine, because you're one of those people whose opinion I really don't care about.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 08:51 PM
  #61  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 8,913
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's not as if you can take any two Christians in the world and their guaranteed to get along.
Exactly. She obviously has a very closed, homogenized Christian experience and has a lot of assumptions about what "Christian" means, the sort of Christian who likely wouldn't dig on my brand of Christianity.

It would be like one of us advertising they want a DVD-collecting roommate only to have the guy who has a copy of every Air Bud movie and thinks Criterion is a joke apply.
story is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 09:26 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,536
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
Exactly. She obviously has a very closed, homogenized Christian experience and has a lot of assumptions about what "Christian" means, the sort of Christian who likely wouldn't dig on my brand of Christianity.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but... what is your brand of Christianity? It seems entirely reasonable for a Christian to prefer to live with a fellow believer. This isn't being close minded, it's called common sense.
Artman is offline  
Old 10-24-10, 09:28 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...to_post_a.html

why do I get the feeling that if someone were to post the exact same ad at a mosque, but with "muslim roommate" instead of "christian roommate" or at a synagogue with "jewish roommate," this wouldn't be an issue.

how much longer until "the right to not be offended" is officially added to the Constitution.
Well, considering they don't have many apartment buildings left, they deserve more than a fair shake at becoming a potential roommate.
Superboy is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 12:11 AM
  #64  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 8,913
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask, but... what is your brand of Christianity? It seems entirely reasonable for a Christian to prefer to live with a fellow believer. This isn't being close minded, it's called common sense.
I'm on the progressive end of the United Methodist Church. I'm apt to disagree with a Christian who takes the Bible literally, says persons who are gay are going to hell, who feels social justice is a dirty word, etc. I'm pretty sure I would not enjoy having that "fellow Christian" as my roommate.
story is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 12:24 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
Exactly. She obviously has a very closed, homogenized Christian experience and has a lot of assumptions about what "Christian" means, the sort of Christian who likely wouldn't dig on my brand of Christianity.
If this was posted in a church (which I believe they said it was), I would assume that it means that she wants someone who believes closely with what that particular church teaches.

I don't get the fuss. This wasn't a full page ad in the New York Times, or even a posting on craigslist. It was on a church cork board. And as for following the law....I know the law because I am in the business, but I would be that 90% of the public has no idea that you can't advertise this way for a private citizen looking for a renter. Would we be as outraged if an average citizen didn't know all the American With Disabilities Act and was renting units that weren't perfectly up to code? Most of us would be surprised at all the things it requires. I honestly don't see this as any different. And it isn't like this gal is going to likely take anyone who simply says they are Christian. She is simply getting one thing out of the way. I think it is dumb, but hell I don't know the gal. Seems silly to castigate her based on a tiny internet story.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 12:38 AM
  #66  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 8,913
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
If this was posted in a church (which I believe they said it was), I would assume that it means that she wants someone who believes closely with what that particular church teaches.
You're absolutely right, I completely missed that.
story is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 07:00 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,059
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
think it is dumb, but hell I don't know the gal. Seems silly to castigate her based on a tiny internet story.
I agree, but it IS fair to castigate the "housing nazi" who filed the complaint, and the overreaching bureaucrat, right?
OldDude is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 08:06 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,008
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
I agree, but it IS fair to castigate the "housing nazi" who filed the complaint, and the overreaching bureaucrat, right?
Well, yeah.
movielib is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 09:35 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,951
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

For some reason I don't think that woman would've had a problem if she was seeking a roommate who worshiped Aqua Buddha.
sracer is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 10:29 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

I didn't read the whole article but this is my viewpoint:

- I have no problem with someone looking for a Christian roommate.
- I do have a problem with property owners who will rent only to Christians.

Somehow, these wires got crossed here. (I was once denied an apartment because my now wife and I were unmarried at the time.)
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 12:11 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
I agree, but it IS fair to castigate the "housing nazi" who filed the complaint, and the overreaching bureaucrat, right?
Yes.

Oh.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 01:43 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,035
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Is it illegal to advertise for renters, but only if they are hot Asian females between the ages of 18 and 22? Or am I just flipping the proverbial bacon-trampoline here?
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 01:45 PM
  #73  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Why are bacon-trampolines always proverbial? It's not fair!
Supermallet is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 01:53 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

I've never even heard of a proverb involving bacon trampolines.

It's all nonsense!
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 10-25-10, 01:55 PM
  #75  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,947
Re: "I am looking for a Christian roommate" = DISCRIMINATION

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
only if they are hot Asian females between the ages of 18 and 22
Pedophile.
wendersfan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.