Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Obama cancels trip to major Sikh temple lest he appear muslim

Old 10-21-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Obama cancels trip to major Sikh temple lest he appear muslim

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/wo...ndia.html?_r=2

A Question of Appearances: Obama Will Bypass Sikh Temple on Visit to India

October 19, 2010
By LYDIA POLGREEN

NEW DELHI — The Golden Temple, a sprawling and serene complex of gleaming gold and polished marble that is the spiritual center of the Sikh religion, is one of India’s most popular tourist attractions. Revered by Indians of all faiths, it is a cherished emblem of India’s religious diversity. So it was no surprise when the gold-plated marvel was promoted as the likely third stop on President Obama’s visit to India, scheduled for early November.

But the United States has ruled out a Golden Temple visit, according to an American official involved in planning. Temple officials said that American advance teams had gone to Amritsar, the holy city that is the site of the temple, to discuss a possible visit. But the plan appears to have foundered on the thorny question of how Mr. Obama would cover his head, as Sikh tradition requires, while visiting the temple.

“To come to golden temple he needs to cover his head,” said Dalmegh Singh, secretary of the committee that runs the temple. “That is our tradition.”

Mr. Obama, a Christian, has struggled to fend off persistent rumors that he is a Muslim, and Sikhs in the United States have often been mistaken for Muslims.
Sikhism, which arose in the Punjab region in the 15th century, includes elements of Hinduism and Islam but forms a wholly distinct faith. Since Sept. 11, 2001, Sikhs in the United States have been occasional targets of anti-Muslim discrimination and violence — a Sikh was killed in Arizona a few days after the attack on the World Trade Center by a man who mistook him for a Muslim.

Observant Sikhs do not cut their hair, and Sikh men wear turbans that cover their heads in public. Visitors to Sikh temples, known as gurudwaras, are required to cover their heads and remove their shoes. Baseball caps are not considered appropriate. Sikh scriptures require that men tie a piece of cloth on their heads, not simply put on a hat that can be easily taken off, because the act of tying has spiritual significance. Most non-Sikh visitors tie on kerchiefs sold by vendors outside the temple.

The Golden Temple is a popular stop for famous visitors. In 1997 the Queen of England padded around the glittering temple in her stocking feet. Another kind of royalty, the scion of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty that controls India’s Congress Party, Rahul Gandhi has also been to the temple. He sipped tea from a metal bowl there, sitting on the ground like every other visitor, head draped as temple tradition demands. Last year Canada’s prime minister, Stephen Harper, also covered his head when he visited the temple.

For Mr. Obama, who will be seeking to cement the crucial but sometimes testy relationship between two of the world’s biggest democracies, the temple was one of several possible backdrops intended to convey America’s kinship with India. Mr. Obama will visit Mumbai and New Delhi.

H. S. Phoolka, a prominent Sikh lawyer in New Delhi, said he was disappointed that Mr. Obama would not visit the temple.

“We have worked so hard to establish in America that Sikhs have a very different identity than Muslims,” Mr. Phoolka said. “It is very unfortunate that even the White House is conveying the message that there is no difference between Muslims and Sikhs.”
Oh dear...
Old 10-21-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Obama cancels trip to major Sikh temple lest he appear muslim

It seems silly to think that if Obama dresses in a way that might be similar to a Muslim that people will think he is a Muslim. People would quit thinking that no matter how he dressed if he would just quit hating America.
Old 10-21-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He could wear a crown of thorns and nails through his hands and there's a portion of the country that would still think he's Muslim.
Old 10-22-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a well established fact that the President is a Muslim, a Nazi, and a Communist. I wouldn't be surprised to discover he's a Sikh, too, whatever that is.

I also believe he's a homosexual, but I can't prove it yet.
Old 10-22-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's too bad. I have been to Amritsar and the Golden Temple, it is quite extraordinary.
Old 10-22-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to discover he's a Sikh, too, whatever that is.
Old 10-22-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They look kind of like this:

I think Obama would look dazzling in a dastar.
Old 10-22-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
He could wear a crown of thorns and nails through his hands and there's a portion of the country that would still think he's Muslim.
Yeah, doing that might not help his image as most are pretty sure that is how he already sees himself.

Spoiler:
Old 10-22-10, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Joe Camel View Post
He also hates America, though no one can prove that either.
Seems pretty easy to prove just by his actions.
Old 10-22-10, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Joe Camel View Post
So its better for him to dress up in sikh/muslim garb so people will think he's less Jesus? That logic is too teabaggerish...
It wouldn't matter. If there is one thing The Obama has taught us, it's that no matter what he does, he will screw it up.
Old 10-22-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A "Sikh" is the name for any member of the early 90s band Deee-Lite. I'm surprised it's spread all the way to India.
Old 10-22-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I think Khan has been unfairly maligned over the years.

He offered the world ORDER!
Old 10-22-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Smart move. He must have read my comment in the media thread yesterday:

Knowing the carbon blobs, the probably get freaked out at turban-wearing Sikhs.
Old 10-22-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The man, the boy and the donkey.
Old 11-19-15, 10:32 PM
Political Exile

C-SPAN has an online article called "Did President Obama Just Admit He Was Muslim?"

It includes a video of Obama saying "I think, on one hand, non-Muslims cannot stereotype, but I also think the Muslim community has to think about how we make sure that children are not being affected with this twisted notion that somehow they can kill innocent people."

The article says:

Pay attention to when he uses the word "we"...
http://www.c-span.org/video/?c456047...t-admit-muslim
Old 11-19-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
C-SPAN has an online article
That's a funny way of putting it considering this giant disclaimer next to the video:

Video Library clips and descriptions are created by MyC-SPAN users, and are not the editorial selections of C-SPAN.
In any case, this is the sort of logic found in bad mystery novels where every slip of the tongue is meaningful and never the result of a brainfart.
Old 11-19-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 11-19-15, 10:53 PM

What a shock that our resident "birther" also thinks Obama is Muslim.
Old 11-19-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

C-SPAN has an online article called "Did President Obama Just Admit He Was Muslim?"

It includes a video of Obama saying "I think, on one hand, non-Muslims cannot stereotype, but I also think the Muslim community has to think about how we make sure that children are not being affected with this twisted notion that somehow they can kill innocent people."

The article says:

http://www.c-span.org/video/?c456047...t-admit-muslim
Old 11-20-15, 02:50 AM
Banned by request

I'm sure if we went through grundle's posting history, we would be able to find typos or other unintentional words/passages that would PROVE beyond any doubt that he loves Obama.
Old 11-20-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Freaking flip flopping liberals. Are you a secret Muslim, the wrong kind of Christian or an atheist?

You can't be all things to all people, sir!
Old 11-20-15, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Can't threaten that voter potential.

Losers.

Sikhs R Kool.
Old 11-20-15, 03:33 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
That's a funny way of putting it considering this giant disclaimer next to the video:

In any case, this is the sort of logic found in bad mystery novels where every slip of the tongue is meaningful and never the result of a brainfart.
Oops!

OK. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think it's pretty funny how the only person who ever has a "slip of the tongue" where he claims to be Muslim is Obama, and also how he never has a "slip of the tongue" where he claims to be Jewish or Hindu.

My mother was Jewish, so I am Jewish by birth. I am agnostic by choice.

Obama's father was Muslim, so Obama is Muslim by birth. He is Christian by choice, as he spent 20 years attending the Christian church of reverend Jeremiah Wright.
Old 11-20-15, 03:35 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
What a shock that our resident "birther" also thinks Obama is Muslim.
Obama was born in Hawaii.

I do think it's possible that he falsely claimed to be a foreign exchange student in order to get a college scholarship.

Also, his own publisher printed a pamphlet in 1991 which said that he was "born in Kenya."
Old 11-20-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

My mother was Jewish, so I am Jewish by birth. I am agnostic by choice.

Obama's father was Muslim, so Obama is Muslim by birth.
This isn't quite accurate. You're Jewish by birth because your mom is Jewish and the Jewish culture is matrilineal. My wife's mother is Jewish and my wife considers herself and our kids culturally Jewish, though she and her mother are both agnostic.

By this definition, my daughter's kids can claim to be Jewish, while my son's can't. Of course, at that point my potential grandkids are likely to be the fourth generation watered down by gentiles. Maybe my grandkids will recognize the major Jewish holidays like we do, or maybe they won't.

Add to that the fact that being Jewish or Muslim are religious/cultural designations, not racial ones, and no one is really born either. Someone might recognize their Jewish/Muslim heritage even if it's not part of their life, but that doesn't make them that way any more than my mother being raised Catholic would make me Catholic.

I can't find anything online stating that Barack Obama Sr. was a practicing Muslim. He (I assume, maybe mom picked the name) gave his son a name that fits the Muslim culture, but it was also his own name. My son's name incorporates Jewish elements, as well as names that tie into his Norwegian and Irish roots, but none of them really "made" him anything at birth.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 11-20-15 at 04:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.