Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Obama Wants You To Telemarket for Change!

Old 10-16-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obama Wants You To Telemarket for Change!

Here's a great way for CRM114, Lemmy, and JasonF to spend their weekend -- calling random people and encouraging them to vote for the Democrats.

Of course, parties have been doing this for years, but normally there's some restriction and supervision involved. But once more Obama brings change, and that change involves letting anyone on the Internet do it. Just go to this website and call whomever they tell you to. You don't need any qualifications, and there are no restrictions. When I go to the site, for example, I'm told to call:

Name: LAURA M VAN DEN BERG
Phone: 828-***-****
Sex: F
Party: D
And read from this script:

2. Dial 828-***-**** and ask for LAURA (Not home? Indicate that to the left.)

3.Follow the script and record her responses, then click Save & Continue

Hi. Is _________ available? [Wait for person to answer phone]

My name is _____, and I'm calling on behalf of Organizing for America, the successor group to President Obama's election campaign.

Our records show that you voted in the 2008 election. Thank you for voting -- our votes changed the country. The upcoming elections on Nov 2 are the opportunity to do that again.
(I've removed Laura's phone number, because I'm not a bastard. I'd remove her party affiliation, but given that she's on the list you can guess it.)

Then just fill in the handy form.

Isn't it bad enough that politicians exempted themselves from telemarketing laws? Do they have to encourage people do do this?
Old 10-16-10, 02:30 PM

Re: Obama Wants You To Telemarket for Change!

Female, in her twenties, Democrat, lives in a town called "Blowing Rock"

Yeah, I'd hit it.
Old 10-16-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

If her cup size was D rather than Party, I'd do whatever she tells me.
Old 10-16-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Freaky deaky Dutch ftw!
Old 10-16-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Female, in her twenties, Democrat, lives in a town called "Blowing Rock"

Yeah, I'd hit it.
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
If her cup size was D rather than Party, I'd do whatever she tells me.
Unfortunately, I marked her down as not speaking English, so you shouldn't be able to find her on the site anymore.

Saving her from telemarketers is my good deed for the day.
Old 10-16-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shoot, just be like Michelle and hit them up when they are walking into the voting booth.

Seriously though, that's a little creepy. At least with 10 percent unemployment they can probably find lots of people with free time to do it.

Heh I just saw a guy named VIKING ULF. Cool.
Old 10-16-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since you called me out by name ...

first of all, as you acknowledge, phone-banking has been around for decades. Until the internet came along, volunteers had to go down to the candidate's headquarters and do it there. Now, people can get their calling lists -- and the people who work on the campaign can manage the process -- online. Why this is worthy of a thread on DVDTalk, I'm not sure, but whatever.

As for fucking with Ms. Van den Berg's status, that strikes me as an asshole move. She's a big girl. If she wants to be taken off the list, she can speak up for herself. Maybe she wants to get called by the Democrats and be reminded to vote, or hear what's going on, or learn about the candidates. It's her life, not yours. How would you like it if I called up your cable company and canceled HBO for you because I decided to do my good deed for the day and save you $10 a month (or whatever it costs)?
Old 10-16-10, 06:52 PM

You know how badly this can backfire? I wanna call some of them and ask for sex regardless of gender and record the whole thing for shits and giggles. We should make an entire youtube series of us hunting down phonebooths to call these guys up.
Old 10-16-10, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
first of all, as you acknowledge, phone-banking has been around for decades. Until the internet came along, volunteers had to go down to the candidate's headquarters and do it there. Now, people can get their calling lists -- and the people who work on the campaign can manage the process -- online. Why this is worthy of a thread on DVDTalk, I'm not sure, but whatever.
I can understand their desire to use technology and social networking to find new ways for supporters to get involved. But they really need to rethink this method.

I would be fucking pissed if the RNC put my contact info up on the internet and told random strangers to call me. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of morons are trolling that site and screwing with innocent people.
Old 10-16-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I certainly hope the Obama campaign enjoys the effects and quality data that will be received from this being posted on the internet, where abuse never happens.
Old 10-16-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Here's a great way for CRM114, Lemmy, and JasonF to spend their weekend -- calling random people and encouraging them to vote for the Democrats.
And? phone spamming has been done for years. It was particularly vicious in the last few years, with Republican supporters calling people in conservative areas touting Democrats as anti-gun, pro-abortion, pro-gay, anti-life, anti-business, anti-fun, Moslim pro-tax mongrels that will kill their babies, make them marry gays, make gays marry in their churches, make their churches give abortions, and allow a foreign born 9/11 terrorist Arab get elected President.
Old 10-16-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I can understand their desire to use technology and social networking to find new ways for supporters to get involved. But they really need to rethink this method.

I would be fucking pissed if the RNC put my contact info up on the internet and told random strangers to call me. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of morons are trolling that site and screwing with innocent people.
No doubt. Wouldn't it be just as easy for someone on the opposite end of the spectrum to pretend to be a democrat and really screw with the voters on the list?
Old 10-16-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post

FYI, there is a shadowy organization that has posted your contact info to the internet. Run for your life!
Old 10-16-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, there is a shadowy organization that has posted your contact info to the internet. Run for your life!
No there isn't. I have an unlisted number.

This site, however, is using either voter rolls or information gathered by the DNC about supporters/donors. Some of the numbers they're giving out to random Internet users are going to be unlisted. On top of that, phonebooks do not give out your political affiliation.

Besides which, isn't there a huge difference between phonebooks and giving specific numbes to someone and telling him to call it and bug the person who answers?
Old 10-16-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since you called me out by name ...

first of all, as you acknowledge, phone-banking has been around for decades.
I acknowledge that assholes are allowed to call me and harrass me about voting even though I have an unlisted number and am on the do-not-call list.

Until the internet came along, volunteers had to go down to the candidate's headquarters and do it there. Now, people can get their calling lists -- and the people who work on the campaign can manage the process -- online. Why this is worthy of a thread on DVDTalk, I'm not sure, but whatever.
Can you point to any other group that makes their call-list available to absolutely anyone, with no vetting or supervision, and no way of cutting people off who are abusing the information?

As for fucking with Ms. Van den Berg's status, that strikes me as an asshole move. She's a big girl. If she wants to be taken off the list, she can speak up for herself. Maybe she wants to get called by the Democrats and be reminded to vote, or hear what's going on, or learn about the candidates. It's her life, not yours.
You're defending telemarketing.

Seriously?

How would you like it if I called up your cable company and canceled HBO for you because I decided to do my good deed for the day and save you $10 a month (or whatever it costs)?
And the silly analogy award goes to...
Old 10-16-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're on that list, it means you've consented to be on the Organizing for America mailing list, with all that implies. But I've never understood the rampant paranoia that someone might -- gasp! -- call me on the telephone.
Old 10-16-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can you point to any other group that makes their call-list available to absolutely anyone, with no vetting or supervision, and no way of cutting people off who are abusing the information?
http://gop.com/phonefromhome/

You're defending telemarketing.

Seriously?
I don't know that I would concede that electioneering by phone is the same as telemarketing, but sure -- why not. I get calls from telemarketers a couple of times a week. Sometimes I ignore them. Sometimes, I pick up the phone and say "Thanks anyway, but I'm not interested." What I don't do is freak out because somebody called me on the telephone.
Old 10-17-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Requires you to sign up -- you can't just go to the website and get random phone numbers. At the very least, if they get complaints about a volunteer, they should be able to provide an IP and email address of the person. They might even be able to link it to a specific person since you can log in with Facebook.

I don't know that I would concede that electioneering by phone is the same as telemarketing, but sure -- why not. I get calls from telemarketers a couple of times a week. Sometimes I ignore them. Sometimes, I pick up the phone and say "Thanks anyway, but I'm not interested." What I don't do is freak out because somebody called me on the telephone.
If you're down with that, good for you. I'm not. I've gone out of my way to make sure that no one can call me that doesn't know me. If a telemarketer calls me, I make them cry. And yet, because I'm a registered voter I'm getting two or three calls a day from both parties.
Old 10-17-10, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're on that list, it means you've consented to be on the Organizing for America mailing list, with all that implies.
I can't find anything on the site that indicates they're limiting the numbers to OfA members and not using voter rolls. But if your claim is correct, they're violating their own privacy policy:

It is our general policy not to make Personal Information available to anyone other than our employees, staff, and agents. We may also make personal information available to organizations with similar political viewpoints and objectives, in furtherance of our own political objectives.
Or are you going to argue that by going to a URL I become an agent of OfA?
Old 10-17-10, 01:17 AM

Requires you to sign up -- you can't just go to the website and get random phone numbers. At the very least, if they get complaints about a volunteer, they should be able to provide an IP and email address of the person. They might even be able to link it to a specific person since you can log in with Facebook.
And once you log-in to the site, it asks for your phone number. I haven't actually gone through all the steps. But it looks like the software calls you and then connects you to the person you're calling. I didn't see anyone's contact info. Seems like a better way to handle it.
Old 10-17-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've known since 2008 that OfA makes phone numbers available to volunteer phone bankers. If their ToS don't reflect that, then the ToS are misleading and wrong and should be changed.

And we both know what kind of authentication is involved in setting up a Facebook or Twitter account, so let's not kid ourselves into thinking a would-be troublemaker is any less anonymous on the GOP site as he is on the OfA site.
Old 10-17-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously, though -- why are people so paranoid about their phone numbers? Are you afraid I'll call you and ask whether your refrigerator is running?
Old 10-17-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously, though -- why are people so paranoid about their phone numbers? Are you afraid I'll call you and ask whether your refrigerator is running?
I wonder how many people use their phone number as their password?
Old 10-17-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I wonder how many people use their phone number as their password?
Hey I plugged mine into that password guesser thingy and it stated that it would take a googolplex of Pluto years to break it.
Old 10-17-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Because when I'm home, I don't want the phone ringing unless it's important.

Regardless, is it that difficult to understand that many people consider their phone number private and would be unhappy at it being given out willy-nilly. Maybe you don't think I deserve that privacy, but don't you suppose some celebrities are on OfA's list? Don't you think that Steven Spielberg or Jeneane Garofalo might be a bit miffed if some yahoo on the Internet went to that site, saw their number, and posted it to Twitter? If the DNC is going to run a phonebank like that, they should go to some minimal effort to control who can see the phone numbers.

And you keep harping on the phone number thing, ignoring the other information revealed by the site.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.