Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Apparently Muslims are taking over Dearborn, Michigan

Old 10-08-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently Muslims are taking over Dearborn, Michigan

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_755346.html

LAS VEGAS — U.S. Senate candidate Sharron Angle told a crowd of supporters that the country needs to address a "militant terrorist situation" that has allowed Islamic religious law to take hold in some American cities.

Her comments came at a rally of tea party supporters in the Nevada resort town of Mesquite last week after the candidate was asked about Muslims angling to take over the country, and marked the latest of several controversial remarks by the Nevada Republican.

In a recording of the rally provided to The Associated Press by the Mesquite Local News, a man is heard asking Angle : "I keep hearing about Muslims wanting to take over the United States ... on a TV program just last night, I saw that they are taking over a city in Michigan and the residents of the city, they want them out. They want them out. So, I want to hear your thoughts about that."

Angle responds that "we're talking about a militant terrorist situation, which I believe it isn't a widespread thing, but it is enough that we need to address, and we have been addressing it."

"My thoughts are these, first of all, Dearborn, Michigan, and Frankford, Texas are on American soil, and under constitutional law. Not Sharia law. And I don't know how that happened in the United States," she said. "It seems to me there is something fundamentally wrong with allowing a foreign system of law to even take hold in any municipality or government situation in our United States."

Dearborn, Mich., has a thriving Muslim community. It was not immediately clear why Angle singled out Frankford, Texas, a former town that was annexed into Dallas around 1975.

Responding to the same question, she also drew comparisons between the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the Nazi Holocaust. She said the property owners behind the proposed Islamic community center near ground zero should move it in deference to the people who died there.

"There was, in Auschwitz, I think it was Auschwitz, it was at least a prisoner of war camp, where the Catholic Church owned some property and they were going to build a church there. They had every right to do it but they stepped aside and said, no, we are going to allow the Jewish people to make a monument because they lost lives," she said. "They had a responsibility to be sensitive to what had happened there and it is exactly the same thing as 9/11. Ground zero, we have a responsibility to be sensitive to the loss of a nation, to the loss of families, to the loss of life that happened there."

Angle seemed to be referring to a Roman Catholic convent at the Auschwitz death camp that Pope John Paul II ordered moved in 1993 in response to Jewish protests.

Others, including the Anti-Defamation League, the nation's leading Jewish civil rights group, have evoked the relocated convent while voicing opposition to the mosque. But the ADL also has stressed that 9/11 and the Holocaust are separate, incomparable events.

Angle's campaign did not answer questions about her statements.

"I'm pretty sure that she did make it clear that there had been incidents in the news, but there is nothing widespread, and that we have freedom of religion in this country," said spokesman Jarrod Agen in an e-mail.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington-based advocacy group, called Angle's statements "bizarre."

"This seems to be an example of incoherent bigotry. It is pretty clear that she has something against Islam and Muslims but she is so incoherent you don't know what she stands for," Hooper said. "The proper response would have been, 'American Muslims are citizens like anyone else. They are free to practice their faith,' not seeming to agree that Muslims are somehow seeking to take over."

Dearborn Mayor Jack O'Reilly called Angle's comments "shameful." He said tea party groups inaccurately spread the word that his Detroit suburb was ruled by Islamic law after members of an anti-Islam group were arrested at an Arab cultural festival in June because a Christian volunteer complained of harassment.

"She took it as face value and maligned the city of Dearborn and I consider that totally irresponsible," he said. "If she wants to come here, I will take her on a tour. I will show her we follow the Constitution just as well as anyone else."

Angle, a Southern Baptist, has called herself a faith-based politician. Among her positions, she opposes abortion in all circumstances, including rape and incest and doesn't believe the Constitution requires the separation of church and state.

Angle is in a dead-heat race against Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who has also said the community center, which would include a mosque, should be built elsewhere. A recent poll showed Reid and Angle tied in the high-profile campaign.

Reid's campaign said Angle's comments advances its ongoing campaign to portray her as outside mainstream America.

"The fact that Sharron Angle believes American cities have been taken over by militant terrorist organizations that are ruling our citizens under Sharia law shows a terrifying lack of connection with reality and a willingness to subscribe to conspiracy theories that demonstrates she's far too extreme and dangerous to represent Nevada in the U.S. Senate," spokesman Kelly Steele said.
Now, living in Michigan, and having been to Dearborn, I can honestly say that while it is evident there is a large Islamic community, I was fairly sure the Constitution was still in effect. I mean, Dearborn hasn't seceded from the union last I checked.

Am I wrong, or is this utter and complete fear mongering?

Last edited by Decadance; 10-08-10 at 12:36 PM. Reason: I can't spell for shit.
Old 10-08-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Apparently Muslims are taking over Dearborn, Michigan

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
I mean, Dearborn hasn't succeeded from the union last I checked.
Nope. Sounds like they failed.
Old 10-08-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

The stupidity of this irrational fear of sharia taking over the US knows no bounds. I'm not at all surprised that someone like Angle embraces this fear and tries to use it to scaremonger. Booga booga!

This is one of the things that makes me extremely skeptical about the tea party and what their priorities are.
Old 10-08-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Nope. Sounds like they failed.
Well done sir. I hang my head in shame.
Old 10-08-10, 12:37 PM

But wait, I'm confused. The tea party insisted that if the "Ground Zero Mosque" was built farther away they would have no problems. Yet, they're screaming about mosques all over the country. And now they're screaming about a community that just happens to have a lot of Muslims living there? What's next?
Old 10-08-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was fairly disturbing that the local police, out of deference to Muslim outrage, were so quick to arrest the Christian activists who were peacefully excercising their rights of free speech, but fortunately they were all aquitted:

Jury Acquits the Four Christian Evangelists Arrested For Proselytizing at the Dearborn Arab Festival

September 27, 2010

Late Friday evening, a jury of six Dearborn, Michigan residents returned a unanimous verdict of not guilty of breach of the peace charges, which were brought by the Dearborn Police Department against four Christian evangelists as they were peacefully proselytizing to Muslim youths during the Arab International Festival on June 18, 2010.

The Thomas More Law Center, a national Christian public interest law firm based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, represented the evangelists, Dr. Nabeel Qureshi, Paul Rezkalla, Negeen Mayel and David Wood, at no charge. The jury returned its verdict after an hour and half of deliberations. Nageen Mayel was found guilty of failing to obey a police officer—a charge unrelated to the actual incident, which will most likely be reversed on appeal.

Robert Muise, the Law Center’s Senior Trial Counsel, handled the five-day trial. The prosecutor placed seven witnesses on the stand including Chief of Police, Ron Haddad.

Even after the acquittals, Dearborn’s mayor, Jack O’Reilly, continued his ongoing and unprecedented personal attacks on the Christian evangelists, accusing them of being anti–Muslim bigots. O’Reilly’s continuous anti-Christian rhetoric was clearly an attempt to curry favor with Dearborn’s large Muslim population, which also explains the Police Department’s alarming mobilization to arrest the four Christians.

Wood and Dr. Qureshi are co-founders of “Act 17 Apologetics,” a ministry group that defends the Gospel of Jesus Christ. On June 18, Mayel and Rezkalla joined them in their missionary work. Dr. Qureshi and Mayel are converts from Islam to Christianity. After the verdict, the group praised the Thomas More Law Center and particularly Robert Muise, whom they described as sharing their emotional burdens and investing more time on the issue than even they did. The group claimed that without the Thomas More Law Center, they would not have been able to defend themselves from persecution by the City of Dearborn.

Richard Thompson, President and Chief Counsel of the Law Center, commented, “Rob Muise did an outstanding job advocating on behalf of Free Speech rights protected by our Constitution, despite unsubstantiated police claims that peaceful conversations with Muslims were going to incite a disturbance. The bottom line in the jury’s not guilty verdict: the Constitution, not Shariah law, still prevails in Dearborn, Michigan.”

http://www.thomasmore.org/qry/page.taf?id=19
Old 10-08-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed Ky-Fi, but the justice system ran its course as it is supposed to, without any of that pesky Sharia Law getting in the way either.
Old 10-08-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
It was fairly disturbing that the local police, out of deference to Muslim outrage, were so quick to arrest the Christian activists who were peacefully excercising their rights of free speech, but fortunately they were all aquitted:
It is. The police acted wrong (although proselytizing to perfect strangers puts you in the douchebag column, but being a douchebag is perfectly legal). But I'm not sure what that has to do with the irrational fear of sharia by someone who's likely never set foot in Dearborn.
Old 10-08-10, 12:57 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
But wait, I'm confused. The tea party insisted that if the "Ground Zero Mosque" was built farther away they would have no problems. Yet, they're screaming about mosques all over the country. And now they're screaming about a community that just happens to have a lot of Muslims living there? What's next?
Next we're coming for people who talk about Islam. We have our eyes on you, Groucho.
Old 10-08-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
It is. The police acted wrong (although proselytizing to perfect strangers puts you in the douchebag column, but being a douchebag is perfectly legal). But I'm not sure what that has to do with the irrational fear of sharia by someone who's likely never set foot in Dearborn.
I would say when you've got law enforcement enforcing Islamic blasphemy laws instead of the US constitution, the fear is not irrational. And it's not like this is an isolated incident in the West--as the current Wilders trial in the Netherlands illustrates.
Old 10-08-10, 01:01 PM

We should not be legislating religious laws onto the populace on a whole!!!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late for the pro-Prop 8 rally.
Old 10-08-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say when you've got law enforcement enforcing Islamic blasphemy laws instead of the US constitution, the fear is not irrational. And it's not like this is an isolated incident in the West--as the current Wilders trial in the Netherlands illustrates.
How is it an Islamic blasphemy law? It is exactly akin to any times Fred Phelps gets arrested for his God hates **** rant. They did not enforce the Islamic version of disturbing the peace.
Old 10-08-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is exactly akin to any times Fred Phelps gets arrested for his God hates **** rant. They did not enforce the Islamic version of disturbing the peace.
Christian proselytizing is not allowed under Sharia. People can decide for themselves if what these guys are doing is "exactly akin" to Fred Phelps protesting at soldier's funerals:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEPod-hxD7g&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEPod-hxD7g&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
Old 10-08-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You do an excellent job at not understanding. Their arrest was akin. Nearly any time Phelps gets arrested for protesting, he and his group are acquitted. They get arrested for breaking the same law as these folks.

This group, and the Phelps group have the same goal - getting a reaction from a group of people who are opposed to their message. The only difference is the type of people being targeted. The group above wanted this reaction, and they got it.
Old 10-08-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You do an excellent job at not understanding. Their arrest was akin. Nearly any time Phelps gets arrested for protesting, he and his group are acquitted. They get arrested for breaking the same law as these folks.

This group, and the Phelps group have the same goal - getting a reaction from a group of people who are opposed to their message. The only difference is the type of people being targeted. The group above wanted this reaction, and they got it.

It's called "lawfare", and it's being used effectively by Muslims groups throughout the West. They don't always expect legal victory--they do it to test limits and keep pushing boundaries in their direction.

95,000 descendants of Mohammed to sue over 'blasphemous' cartoons March 22, 2010

NEARLY 95,000 descendants of Mohammed are going to sue 10 newspapers for publishing "blasphemous" cartoons of the prophet.

Faisal Yamani, a Saudi lawyer acting for the descendants, claims that the cartoons - which first appeared in 2005 and caused violent protests by Muslims around the world - are defamatory.

One of the 12 cartoons depicts Mohammed wearing a bomb-shaped turban.

The Sunday Times said that although the cartoons were published by Danish newspapers, Mr Yamani plans to pursue legal action in England, where libel laws are weighted towards the plaintiff.

English lawyers expect that he will argue that the cartoons were published in Britain via the internet and are a direct slur on his clients, who live in the Middle East, north Africa and even Australia.

“The question is, is that defamatory in English law?"

He said that although many judges would dismiss such a case, "it is obviously a very highly charged issue and if they do throw it out, it becomes political”.

Mr Yamani has already won an apology from the Danish newspaper Politiken for printing the cartoons.

The cartoons first appeared in Jyllands-Posten as part of its campaign to promote freedom of expression.

However, the paper's offices have been evacuated several times after security threats and the artist behind the bomb cartoon, Kurt Westergaard, was forced to go into hiding. In January this year a man was shot trying to get into his home

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/descend...#ixzz11n2YRDnn

I'm not going to bombard people with embedded videos, but do any search for:

Ezra Levant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iMNM1tef7g

Gregorius Nekschot

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/3257

Suzane Winter:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...htist_lawmaker

Geert Wilders:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101004/...ds_hate_speech

And of course, the largest voting bloc at the UN, the 56 nation Organization of Islamic Countries who are trying to globally outlaw all "defamation of religion":

http://www.humanrights-geneva.info/spip.php?article7647

I don't know how much longer people can pretend these things are isolated, and not connected to Islam.
Old 10-08-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

How is it an Islamic blasphemy law? It is exactly akin to any times Fred Phelps gets arrested for his God hates **** rant. They did not enforce the Islamic version of disturbing the peace.
Thank you.

It's called "lawfare",
Lawfare. Good lord, where do you get this stuff.
Old 10-08-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Thank you.

Lawfare. Good lord, where do you get this stuff.
Right, none of this is happening.
Old 10-08-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ky-Fi should be in Afghanistan gunning down the dirty bastards.
Old 10-08-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Right, none of this is happening.
In this country it's not, unless in your mind counts. But then you're someone who thinks a Muslim practicing free exercise of religion by swearing an oath on a Koran is an indication that sharia is about to devour us.
Old 10-08-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What would an Atheist swear upon? Talk about heads exploding.

This whole affair is rather humorous. A "my religion can beat up your religion" pissing match.
Old 10-08-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Ky-Fi should be in Afghanistan gunning down the dirty bastards.

No, quite the opposite. Ky-Fi is not motivated by any naive liberal views that "Islam is a religion of peace" and "they really want to live just like us, if only we opened the door for them." While I'm sympathetic about the reasons for our initial involvement in Afghanistan, I've always been opposed to Iraq, and fully believe we should not be in either country now. Islam is what it is, the evidence is there in every Muslim country. You can't change that by racking up an astronomical body count. While I'm all for containment of Islam, these horrible wars with untold thousands of innocent victims are going to accomplish absolutely nothing.

See, that's what you guys are simply not grasping----the phony, multicultural view that Islam is "just like any other religion" is the view that has already led to horrible violence, and will lead to much more in the future. Just as we understood that communism was a mortal threat to the West and adopted policies whereby we avoided a hot war with the Soviet Union, a more realistic appraisal of Islam would lead to LESS useless violence, not more.
Old 10-08-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure why the OP posted this -- what kind of discussion could it possibly lead to? Like there's anyone here who will actually side with Angle's ignorant xenophobia.

Okay, now to read the rest of the thread.
Old 10-08-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't lump me in with religious sympathizers of any color. I think they are all delusional, all violent in some way, and a giant waste of human energy. That aside, there are a billion Muslims. My next door neighbors are Muslim. You paiunt the picture that all of the peaceful Muslims are laying in wait for this grand coup d'etat of "the West" because of weak minded "liberals." Because there is a small percentage of that billion Muslims who are extremist is no different than the small percentage of Christian extremists. Christians have been known to take the Word of God, as they see it, and twist in ways to invoke horrible violence on other people. Why do you continuously single out this one bullshit religion over another bullshit religion?
Old 10-08-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, all the predictable, politically correct, liberal outrage in this thread is focusing the discussion on Dearborn, leaving Frankford, Texas completely unprotected. Which is of course EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT.
Old 10-08-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't take a multicultural view. I judge an individual's practice and react accordingly. I don't indict the whole based on the actions of some.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.