Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: So, is Yoga Heresy
Yoga IS Heresy
4.76%
Minister is a Moonbat
80.95%
Twickoff says "eh??"
14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Yoga is Heresy? Really???

Old 10-07-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yoga is Heresy? Really???

I bravely started this in Politics as I am sure it will wind up like all our religious discussions. So is it really heresy or is this minister a moonbat?
I guess it should be a poll.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101007/..._baptists_yoga
LOUISVILLE, Ky. A Southern Baptist leader who is calling for Christians to avoid yoga and its spiritual attachments is getting plenty of pushback from enthusiasts who defend the ancient practice.

Southern Baptist Seminary President Albert Mohler says the stretching and meditative discipline derived from Eastern religions is not a Christian pathway to God.

Mohler said he objects to "the idea that the body is a vehicle for reaching consciousness with the divine."

"That's just not Christianity," Mohler told The Associated Press.

Mohler said feedback has come through e-mail and comments on blogs and other websites since he wrote an essay to address questions about yoga he has heard for years.

"I'm really surprised by the depth of the commitment to yoga found on the part of many who identify as Christians," Mohler said.

Yoga fans say their numbers have been growing in the U.S. A 2008 study by the Yoga Journal put the number at 15.8 million, or nearly 7 percent of adults. About 6.7 percent of American adults are Southern Baptists, according to a 2007 survey by the Pew Research Center Forum on Religion & Public Life.

Mohler argued in his online essay last month that Christians who practice yoga "must either deny the reality of what yoga represents or fail to see the contradictions between their Christian commitments and their embrace of yoga."

He said his view is "not an eccentric Christian position."

Other Christian leaders have said practicing yoga is incompatible with the teachings of Jesus. Pat Robertson has called the chanting and other spiritual components that go along with yoga "really spooky." California megachurch pastor John MacArthur called yoga a "false religion." Muslim clerics have banned Muslims from practicing yoga in Egypt, Malaysia and Indonesia, citing similar concerns.

Yoga proponents say the wide-ranging discipline, which originated in India, offers physical and mental healing through stretching poses and concentration.

"Lots of people come to yoga because they are often in chronic pain. Others come because they think it's a nice workout," said Allison Terracio, who runs the Infinite Bliss studio in Louisville.

And some yoga studios have made the techniques more palatable for Christians by removing the chanting and associations to eastern religions, namely Hinduism and its multiple deities.

Stephanie Dillon, who has injected Christian themes into her studio in Louisville, said yoga brought her closer to her Christian faith, which had faded after college and service in the Army.

"What I found is that it opened my spirit, it renewed my spirituality," Dillon said. "That happened first and then I went back to church." Dillon attends Southeast Christian Church in Louisville and says many evangelical Christians from the church attend her yoga classes.

She said she prayed on the question of whether to mix yoga and Christianity before opening her studio, PM Yoga, where she discusses her relationship with Jesus during classes.

"My objection (to Mohler's view) personally is that I feel that yoga enhances a person's spirituality," Dillon said. "I don't like to look at religion from a law standpoint but a relationship standpoint, a relationship with Jesus Christ specifically."

Mohler wrote the essay after reading "The Subtle Body," where author Stefanie Syman traces the history of yoga in America. Syman noted the growing popularity of yoga in the U.S. by pointing out that first lady Michelle Obama has added it to the festivities at the annual White House Easter Egg Roll on the front lawn.

Mohler said many people have written him to say they're simply doing exercises and forgoing yoga's eastern mysticism and meditation.

"My response to that would be simple and straightforward: You're just not doing yoga," Mohler said.
Old 10-07-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Yoga is Heresy? Really???

I would imagine that it could be, if the mysticism were embraced in the process. As with most things, it's your heart in the matter that would be of import. Just doing the stretches and exercises clearly would not.
Old 10-07-10, 10:09 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Mohler said he objects to "the idea that the body is a vehicle for reaching consciousness with the divine."
Maybe Mohler should re-read Paul's epistles, where he called the body a temple and states that purification of the body is worshipping God.
Old 10-07-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-07-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Just another fucking ignorant Bible-thumper. There's one on every damned corner these days. How long will humanity continue to embrace this divisive, war-mongering idiocy?

Or, to use a phrase they'll recognize: Jesus fucking Christ, how stupid.
Edited to remove disparaging comment about Lemmy.

Sorry Lemmy. I didn't intend for my comment to sound as mean as it did.

Last edited by orangecrush; 10-08-10 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-07-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

In the context of what he is saying and how he is defining its practice, yes it would be considered heresy.
Old 10-07-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Physical practices like meditation and fasting have long been a fundamental part of Christianity, even if they have fallen by the wayside in the last couple centuries.

I've never practiced yoga, but I would say if it's just a physical/mental practice, it would be compatible with Christianity. I think the argument the pastor is making is that true yoga involves more than a physical/mental practice. I don't know enough about yoga to know if that's accurate.
Old 10-07-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course it's a heresy.

Heresy being the religious term for what happens when a Star Trek fan suggests that Gary Mitchell may have been a Sith Lord.
Old 10-07-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Physical practices like meditation and fasting have long been a fundamental part of Christianity, even if they have fallen by the wayside in the last couple centuries.

I've never practiced yoga, but I would say if it's just a physical/mental practice, it would be compatible with Christianity. I think the argument the pastor is making is that true yoga involves more than a physical/mental practice. I don't know enough about yoga to know if that's accurate.
Medication is a physical practice?

Old 10-07-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post

Well the pills don't dispense themselves...
Old 10-07-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post

Assuming you mean "meditation" (and I think you could add prayer, as well), I would argue that the Christian tradition has taught that some physical postures are more conducive to those practices than others. I would agree that the physical aspect is not the primary focus (as they are RELIGIOUS practices) but I hold that the Christian tradition has historically not dismissed the physical aspects of these practices.

A good book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Celebration-Di...ref=pd_sim_b_2
Old 10-07-10, 03:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
In Buddhism and Hinduism, yoga is considered an advanced technique, closely tied with spiritual advancement, and is not suggested for laymen. Thus the abundance of yoga classes available to the average American tells me that they have nothing to do with the spiritual element of the practice.
Old 10-07-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course yoga is heresy. We can't be diverting good sincere Christians' attention away from the never-ending round of starch-, sugar-, and fat-laden potluck dinners they're required to attend, where they gobble down enough food to feed an entire third world village for a month, all the while criticizing people who smoke, drink, go to nightclubs, and engage in heathen practices like yoga.
Old 10-07-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Of course yoga is heresy. We can't be diverting good sincere Christians' attention away from the never-ending round of starch-, sugar-, and fat-laden potluck dinners they're required to attend, where they gobble down enough food to feed an entire third world village for a month, all the while criticizing people who smoke, drink, go to nightclubs, and engage in heathen practices like yoga.
You leave scalloped potatoes with ham out of this!
Old 10-07-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
In Buddhism and Hinduism, yoga is considered an advanced technique, closely tied with spiritual advancement, and is not suggested for laymen. Thus the abundance of yoga classes available to the average American tells me that they have nothing to do with the spiritual element of the practice.
As such, I'm guessing that there would be Buddhists and Hindus that say those Americans are not practicing yoga at all.

Thus arriving us at the obvious conclusion that true yoga including all proper aspects of it would indeed be heretical and amateur hobby yoga toe touches and breathing would not.
Old 10-07-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
You will boil forever in the eternal lake of cream of mushroom soup and green beans. God will fly over your head and cover it with french fried onion rings. Heretic!
Old 10-07-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do most people who practice yoga, actually do yoga, or are they just doing stretching exercises?
Old 10-07-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps they should be burned at the stake... by YOGA FLAME!
Old 10-07-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
Do most people who practice yoga, actually do yoga, or are they just doing stretching exercises?
They do yoga according to themselves. They probably don't know what true yoga is.
Old 10-07-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a lot like Feng Shui. There's nothing wrong with the aesthetic principles of it, nothing heretical about arranging your furniture a certain way. But to embrace the core principles of it would indeed be at odds with many people's spiritual/religious beliefs.
Old 10-07-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I went to Lutheran schools that were Missouri Synod and just so you know, Missouri synod is the more conservative branch of the Lutheran Church.

Anyway, I remember being taught that while Yoga was "ok" for exercise, one should not dabble in the mystic parts dealing with Hinduism, Buddhism, and such. From a Christian standpoint it makes perfect sense to be taught that since Christians are told not to worship other gods.
Old 10-07-10, 06:00 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I'd bet a lot of money that Al Mohler is less ignorant than you. I'll give you Pat Robertson though.
mod note - Let's keep the discussion about the topic at hand and not individual posters.
Old 10-07-10, 06:06 PM

I thought that turning him from a Muppet into CGI was heresy, but the character himself? No, not really.
Old 10-07-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

My I make a suggestion?

We need a separate forum on religion.

This thread has what to do with politics or world events?
Old 10-07-10, 06:47 PM
Banned by request

Hey, we have a forum for Feedback. I suggest you use it!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.